Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I like that middle free set. I take it M = medium. Lotta freestyle today.
    Yeah M = Medium/Moderate.
    It was tougher than it looks when done after the 5SDK set.

Yup did stroke the other day and also swam yesterday so not a huge amount of energy today.
    I've calculated that my drag shorts add about :10 to my 50 K...going to start doing more hard 25 K with more rest with them on.

Sad note: My training partner may be moving away... this will be a loss.
    I like that middle free set. I take it M = medium. Lotta freestyle today.
    I think quicksilver blogs some great backstroke sets, although adjusting the intervals may be needed. He's a bit of sick puppy, in a good way.
    Ahelee my "eyes" belong to a great swimmer. We work out 3 x a week and she said that I need to rotate more through hips and core (as noted by Fort)...but she said I wasn't catching the water and had my arms too straight. So I focused on that and it felt different. I still need to work on the hips and kicking...but maybe next time I'll just do a "set" of backstroke work rather than a full workout.

Oh I'm not going to post an back vid for analysis...nice try though
    I like the idea of being good at backstroke, you can breathe whenever you want! I've been trying to improve my bs too. Let me know if anything works well for you.
    Your shoulder rotation has improved, Rich. Now you need to get the core and hips to simultaneously rotate while balancing with a 6 beat kick.
    Psyched to see your "improve my backstroke" entry today Stud!

Make a point of rotating through a bunch of backstroke drill 25s on an interval that allows you to swim easier and think about what you are doing - and feeling.

I've had the opportunity to swim with a couple of new coaches at a different club this past few months.
    After many years of coaching and a lifetime of swimming, these coaches gave me a few new tips on where to feel power in my stroke.
    1 Backstroke & 1 Breaststroke tip!
    (very exciting)

Maybe try to find a good set of "backstroke eyes" to look at your stroke.
    Then work on 1 piece at a time.

It won't feel great until you tie it all together, so don't obsess on each piece - just feel the change.
    Then try to swim easy 25s with all the pieces in place.

I'm just getting back in shape again and this technique process is working for me.

Do you have a video clip of your stroke?
    How are you liking the forearm fulcrums? Do they feel like they are helping your EVF?

So you're an expert with the snorkel now? Really, I just don't know if I have the patience to master that one. Plus, it seems most useful for free, which I don't do much of.
    The fulcrums really give you an over the barrel feel for the catch. They can be a bit fiddly to keep on but usually they only start coming off if you go too fast, because you're meant to go easy.
    I like them for BR...it's a good way to teach keeping a grip on the water in front.

I don't like to brag about my snorkel expertise...but the freestyler is good for the type of stuff I did today. I have the regular one now too, and I will let you know how that works for non free swimming and drills.
    I'll bring them next trip.

If you're asking, yes the fulcrums are worth the $15 just to toy with...
    How are you liking the forearm fulcrums? Do they feel like they are helping your EVF?

So you're an expert with the snorkel now? Really, I just don't know if I have the patience to master that one. Plus, it seems most useful for free, which I don't do much of.
    When's your next meet?
    Planned at the end of the month..but not entered yet. My 200FR training times are now pushing 2:35...
    My Fly feels so good now too..finally can get in rhythm..
    When's your next meet?
    Quote Originally Posted by jroddin
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I haven't typed in December yet in my FLOG...

With one swim left in the year, I'm at 376.92 miles. I was way ahead of Julie going into November, but only managed 19+ miles in November and currently 16+ miles in December and she went by me about a week ago. I thought knocking her up would be my secret to beating her this year but that wasn't the case!

Meanwhile, what are all of those missed calls on her cell phone with your number all about...
    Bahaha...I'll have to get more mileage in next year instead spending all that time
    calling Julie...
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I haven't typed in December yet in my FLOG...

With one swim left in the year, I'm at 376.92 miles. I was way ahead of Julie going into November, but only managed 19+ miles in November and currently 16+ miles in December and she went by me about a week ago. I thought knocking her up would be my secret to beating her this year but that wasn't the case!

Meanwhile, what are all of those missed calls on her cell phone with your number all about...
    Yay!

I'm sure you completely outdid me this year. I don't think your bad back is holding you back to much these days in either yardage or times.
    Yeah stud!!!!!!
    When are you doing a marathon?

Boston together when we turn 45 in a few years? The qual time is a somewhat doable 3:30.
    What happened to the planned run?

I'm still mashed as well, and battling a cold.
    That was yesterday. I did 2.5 miles and 30 minutes of core work.
    Had chocolate milk after the swim today.
    What happened to the planned run?

I'm still mashed as well, and battling a cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Julie Roddin
    Great job at the meet and way to go on the best times!!!!!!
    Thanks Julie...is Jeff worried yet?

Quote Originally Posted by ande
    way to go stud
    Thanks Ande...some nice surprises for me there.
    way to go stud