Blog Comments

For those finger trap thingys, I usually call for help from my buddy Joey:

For the 2breast, I may need good 'ole Chuck:
    Looks like we are both swimming the 200 breast this weekend. Shall we gridge?
    I have XS super compressive 2XU calf guards for when this happens. I find they're a lot easier to wear around during the day (or even sleep in) than the full leggings.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    That VK set is absolutely killer. I had been contemplating just holding the ball or brick at the shoulders as opposed to overhead in a streamline. I'm not sure I could even do the latter with the specified set. If it's completely overhead, I think you'd have to use fins for 10 reps. I guess I'll have to try it.

Chinese, belch. Never eat it.
    I held the brick at centre of chest...with some scull assist to breathe on latter reps. It was tough but not impossible.
    That VK set is absolutely killer. I had been contemplating just holding the ball or brick at the shoulders as opposed to overhead in a streamline. I'm not sure I could even do the latter with the specified set. If it's completely overhead, I think you'd have to use fins for 10 reps. I guess I'll have to try it.

Chinese, belch. Never eat it.
    I was mulling over fins on that one too. If you don't use fins, those 25s underwater are awfully hard. If you do, the 12.5 fast could be mostly kick again (at least for me).
    Exactly...Jeff is way better than average and although I am sure he is working hard, UW 25's without fins are more tolerable for him on those rests. I think fins are a good "handicap" for the mortals among us.

If you don't want to use your legs for the swims you could just pull so you're not getting a "crutch" out of them for the swim.

I just thought it was a good set all round...thanks Jeff n Fort.
    I was mulling over fins on that one too. If you don't use fins, those 25s underwater are awfully hard. If you do, the 12.5 fast could be mostly kick again (at least for me).
    zombie backstroke kick should be sung with one of the theme's of remake of "Dawn of the Dead," Richard Cheese's (nice name huh?) "Down with the Sickness." Raunchy but a classic.
    I think you too are more natural Backstrokers (AKA oddities) than I am. I made it about halfway on the first 2 without fins...but I couldn't surface.
    6 x 25 zombie backstroke kick -- kick on back with med ball or dive brick in one hand in air, other hand at side @:45/:50 I have determined this is not physically possible without fins unless you do not need to breathe...
    I did this a while back (no fins) with a 5# dumbell, I had neither dive brick or med ball, and it really sucked. I was able to stay on the surface but needed to do them on a 1 minute interval. And after 6 I thought I was going to die!
    That kick reminds me of the walkers in The Walking Dead. Harder with both hands up. You can do it without fins with practice.

I'm off for weights and plyos soon too.
    Crap, I modified that workout, and probably re-added yardage wrong. Let me check. Yes, it was 4100. I edited and called it a "Monster Speed" workout. Lots of recovery yardage and a long warm up in that one.
    I will do again when I have a bit more time. Or maybe just do 400 warm up and go. I had a busy day yesterday so I didn't pre-read.
    Crap, I modified that workout, and probably re-added yardage wrong. Let me check. Yes, it was 4100. I edited and called it a "Monster Speed" workout. Lots of recovery yardage and a long warm up in that one.
    What is "supercompensation"?

Yeah, I want most of my meets to count with 3 different courses.
    [ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercompensation[/ame]
    What is "supercompensation"?

Yeah, I want most of my meets to count with 3 different courses.
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy
    It took me a few years of Masters swimming to realize that I need to swim as fast as I can at every meet. I had to shake myself out of that old mentality. Since then I've been exploring different meet preparations, like shaving without tapering. Shave plus supercompensation effect seems to yield swims that are about 95% as good as shave plus taper, and has a greater chance of success. I'll still do a full taper for Omaha though.
    With the number of meets you do, you must be hairless the majority of the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    I was thinking about this and it seems similar to the (just as outdated) notion that swimmers should only be swimming fast at their taper meet. In some college programs they wear the fact that they never rest or suit up for any meets until the end of the season like it's some kind of badge of honor. It almost seems like the thinking is you've only got so many fast swims in you and you don't want to waste them in the middle of the season (or at practice)!
    It took me a few years of Masters swimming to realize that I need to swim as fast as I can at every meet. I had to shake myself out of that old mentality. Since then I've been exploring different meet preparations, like shaving without tapering. Shave plus supercompensation effect seems to yield swims that are about 95% as good as shave plus taper, and has a greater chance of success. I'll still do a full taper for Omaha though.
    Yeah it might be worth experimenting with the drag suit...
    I think the whole notion of drag suits is outdated and really is now more psychological than anything.
    I was thinking about this and it seems similar to the (just as outdated) notion that swimmers should only be swimming fast at their taper meet. In some college programs they wear the fact that they never rest or suit up for any meets until the end of the season like it's some kind of badge of honor. It almost seems like the thinking is you've only got so many fast swims in you and you don't want to waste them in the middle of the season (or at practice)!
Page 6 of 49 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast