Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I think the whole notion of drag suits is outdated and really is now more psychological than anything. Of course you feel faster when you take it off. But has it done any damage to your body position when it was on?

The string on my chute broke. Might have to get a new one. Tying it doesn't seem to work.
    I agree that intentionally swimming with extra drag all the time is of questionable value. Back in the days before polyester practice suits were popular, I needed to wear multiple lycra suits just to get coverage. ALL the suits had holes in them and/or were worn down to see-thru status.
    I think the whole notion of drag suits is outdated and really is now more psychological than anything. Of course you feel faster when you take it off. But has it done any damage to your body position when it was on?

The string on my chute broke. Might have to get a new one. Tying it doesn't seem to work.
    Quote Originally Posted by chowmi
    360 shooters! Sounds like fun! I must add this to my playlist. Please describe your shooter technique - I assume this is where you squiggle around tummy/sides/back? How long do you stay on each side? By # of kicks, meterage, and does it matter where you start from? I suppose after doing it awhile one could also spend a bit extra umph on the weaker sides....
    Leslie wrote this up. I just push off and start sdk'ing with a rotation...I go continuously round but I guess you could try 3 kicks per side. My thought is if I kick and continually spin, then I have to work hard to stay on a staight trajectory which means my kicks must be kept evenly powered in both directions.
    360 shooters! Sounds like fun! I must add this to my playlist. Please describe your shooter technique - I assume this is where you squiggle around tummy/sides/back? How long do you stay on each side? By # of kicks, meterage, and does it matter where you start from? I suppose after doing it awhile one could also spend a bit extra umph on the weaker sides....
    Yay! It's always best to compare what you did in this same pool at the same time last year. And you probably had less rest than you would at a champs meet. Speed is what sprinters need. And you've only just gotten started. You should be very psyched!
    It was odd--I just felt much more ready to race than I did at BU.
    Yay! It's always best to compare what you did in this same pool at the same time last year. And you probably had less rest than you would at a champs meet. Speed is what sprinters need. And you've only just gotten started. You should be very psyched!
    Fast times! Great job, R.
    I was thinking about using them to force full extension on the down stroke while swimming free. I do remember they are very floaty ... I hadn't thought of them as kick fins before.
    Definitely provide a good resistant force when you crank it! Try it out you'll see.
    I was thinking about using them to force full extension on the down stroke while swimming free. I do remember they are very floaty ... I hadn't thought of them as kick fins before.
    Makes me think we should do VK more often ...

How does your kick on free feel when using zura fins? I think I'm going to try them for overkick free drills.
    That can feelweird b/c they float so well. I really have to work on the down stroke to get them to stay down. I recommend kicking with them on back and front to work both sets of muscles...tough to do Free drills on your back though

Another thought: Because I do kick with them a lot too...that might be why I did not work the "up stroke" so much, since the buoyancy they provide takes care of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by SwimStud
    Yeah, it was weird that this was the first time I felt it all connect though. I've worked on chest pressing, using core, stretching toes etc...finally I started to kick evenly up and down and although it wasn't not "easy" I made better time without "sprinting"
    Thought: Perhaps the extended VK opened up some neuro pathways or the silent feedback from kicking in one spot (e.g. not moving backwards or forward by keeping the kick even) got through to my brain...very nice to feel less bargelike in the water...and I ran 4.5 miles yesterday too which normally means dead legs.
    Makes me think we should do VK more often ...

How does your kick on free feel when using zura fins? I think I'm going to try them for overkick free drills.
    Yes, up kick and full extension on the down kick! I should have done that kick set yesterday ...
    Yeah, it was weird that this was the first time I felt it all connect though. I've worked on chest pressing, using core, stretching toes etc...finally I started to kick evenly up and down and although it wasn't not "easy" I made better time without "sprinting"
    Thought: Perhaps the extended VK opened up some neuro pathways or the silent feedback from kicking in one spot (e.g. not moving backwards or forward by keeping the kick even) got through to my brain...very nice to feel less bargelike in the water...and I ran 4.5 miles yesterday too which normally means dead legs.
    Yes, up kick and full extension on the down kick! I should have done that kick set yesterday ...
    Using the same interval would have been fine. I did the same set today, though doing MF double shooters. 2-3 were my worst times. Though I kicked with a board inbetween on the recovery 50s, so may have had more air than you to kick it into gear later. I really liked the set.
    What is tombstone kick?

So how did you like the power kick set? I find it really hard to go from fast kicking at wall right into a fast shooter.
    I enjoyed it all.

I kick for 10, and flip turn right into it...easy enough
    Tombstone Kick = Hold the kickboard 90 degrees to the surface of the water, halfway submerged underwater, and kick. It looks like a tombstone. Really NOT fun too.
    What is tombstone kick?

So how did you like the power kick set? I find it really hard to go from fast kicking at wall right into a fast shooter.
    I tend to work on DPK when doing shooters on recovery day.
    You weren't going fast on those shooters, were you? They were supposed to be easy speed. If you need more rest to make it so, increase the interval. I can pretty much do them on auto pilot now.

I was 200 off on the add up.
    I wasn't going fast but maybe not slow enough...
    You weren't going fast on those shooters, were you? They were supposed to be easy speed. If you need more rest to make it so, increase the interval. I can pretty much do them on auto pilot now.

I was 200 off on the add up.
Page 7 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast