View RSS Feed

Of Swimming Bondage

bondage:

• dictionary.com: the state of being bound by or subjected to some external power or control

Though I swore at 22 I would hang my suit up forever, I am compelled to swim, to relish in the pain/pleasure continuum across workouts and meets, to be forever & happily enslaved by this odd sport.

In my 50s now, I've created this blog to keep me motivated, chart my progress and, possibly, offer some insight to others.

1. Bonking on Jochums

by , June 29th, 2014 at 02:54 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    After yesterday's good workout and even through the warmup today, I thought I had a shot at making the 'Jochums Revenge' set that Peter and I had tried last Sunday (http://forums.usms.org/entry.php?334...ochums-Revenge). It was still not to be, but, on the whole, this was a better effort than last week. Done with Peter by my side in SCM (except when he was kicking my ass and taking my good name to the cleaners):

Warmup sets (1,300 set)
    • 1 x 400: IM, k/d
    • 12 x 25: on 0:30, in sets of 4 as build to fast, decelerate from fast, all easy, all fast
    • 6 x 50: on 0:50, descend in sets of 3, I did these w/buoy and paddles and was 0:38 -> 0:33 on 1st 3, 0:37 -> 0:31+ on next 3
    • 3 x 100: on 1:30, steady pace swim w/snorkel
      • I was 1:09 and then 1:10+/1:11 on the next two

Jochums Revenge (3,600* set / 4,900* total)
    • Goal was 100-200-300-400-500-600-700-800 on 2:00 3:00 4:00 5:00 6:00 7:15 8:30 9:45
    • Last week, I was 1:21, 2:34, 3:48, 4:53, 6:10 (where I missed the interval), at which time I bagged the rest of the set and switched to a kick set
    • Peter and I agreed that if we missed an interval, we'd sit out for a 50 or 100 and then try to get back on pace
    • I did the 1-2-3 with my snorkel and felt smooth and solid, going 1:20, 2:30, 3:43
    • My goal was to then swim the 400 and 500 and try to make the intervals
    • The 400 felt pretty solid, but I came into the wall at 4:58
    • I got nothing going on the 500 and, candidly, gave up around the 300 mark and was 6:23
    • I skipped the first 100 of the 600, threw on my buoy and paddles, and pushed off at the 1:10 mark with Peter. I stuck with Peter (mostly) for the rest of this and thought that we'd come in right around the 7:15 interval, but we touched at 7:22 (making that 500 I pulled a bit more respectable at 6:12 or so). We agreed to go on the 7:30 interval.
    • The 700 should have been on 8:30, but I finished around 8:42 and so we went that on 9:00
    • I was pretty locked into that 1:15 pace and then went a 10:02 on the 800.

* So, my total on this set was 3,500.

Cool-down 200 w/snorkel

TOTAL: 5,000 SCM

Commentary:
    • I am determined to make this set. I don't know when I'll do it next as I'll be racing each of the next couple of weekends, but I am going to change my strategy on it by throwing on my paddles for the 500 to see if that helps me get under that interval.
    • This was a great, endurance workout, though, and I'm glad I got back into the set after sitting out the 100, even if I still couldn't quite cut the mustard on the intervals.
    • Looking ahead to this week, I think I will plan this:
      • Monday - hot yoga
      • Tuesday - some kind of IM oriented quality workout
      • Wednesday - Peter's going to bring a workout
      • Thursday - Take a run at my 8 x 100 heart rate test set
      • Friday - Just go a workout composed of my 'long form' 1,750 warmup sets
      • Saturday - Race the 400 IM
      • Sunday - Race the 200 IM and 1,500

2. Flag Fun Day & Jochums' Revenge

by , June 23rd, 2014 at 11:40 AM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    Catching up from a very busy and very fun weekend.

Saturday meet in Flagstaff - "Fast Times in the Cool Pines"

Though the meet was tiny (maybe 25 swimmers entered), the show still went on and, I think, everyone there had a great time. They ran it with generous breaks and so the meet took a little less than two hours from start to finish. As I've never swum long course at altitude, these are all 'Altitude Masters Best Times.' I haven't seen official results, so not sure if the tenths/hundredths are entirely accurate as the 50s were off the timers' watches and I took the board times for the 100s and the 400

• 400 free
      • Goal was to see how close I could come to 4:40 and I went 4:43.73
      • There were certainly some moments in here where I felt the altitude and I probably went out way too hard at the 100, but, fortunately, there were no splits to verify if I truly split this poorly.
      • This actually felt pretty good and I was pleased with the time.

• 50 fly
      • I had a couple of minutes to warm down while others were finishing their 400s and then one heat of 50 flys before I was back on the block.
      • I wanted to go under 30 and the timer told me 29.96, so I really hope that time holds.

• 100 breast
      • 1:24.81
      • I have no feeling about whether this is good or bad, but this race probably hurt more than all others.

• 50 back
      • The timer had me at 33.9-something, which is not too bad considering my sea level best is 32.98

• 100 free
      • This felt really good, strong and powerful and I really thought I was going to be much closer to the minute mark than I was, but I was 1:01.35

I had brought #3 daughter and her friend along for the day. They were awesome sports volunteering as timers (and lap counters for the 800 which I wisely skipped), but my daughter had an ulterior motive in her attendance - a re-match of the 50 kick we had last October in the SCM version of this meet (http://forums.usms.org/entry.php?306...Aquatic-Center). She talked Liz, the NAU Masters coach and Meet Director, into throwing this event into one of the breaks. In addition to my daughter, her friend and I, one of the other Masters guys did this (he won). Here's how this panned out:
    • Last fall, I had started with breaststroke kick and reverted to freestyle kick when I realized my daughter was going to beat me.
    • This time, I thought I was wiser, and started with dolphin kick, but, by the 25 meter mark, I was at her feet and she was pulling away.
    • I switched to flutter kick and she kept pulling away.
    • Chalk another win up for the kiddo as she motored to a 0:41-low 50 LCM kick.
    • I was at least a second or two behind her!

Additional kudos and props to my daughter's friend who bravely volunteered to sing the National Anthem at the start of the meet ... and did it with style and a great voice.

After the meet, we spent a good chunk of the day heading out to and enjoying the site at Meteor Crater. I was impressed with how interested both girls were in the site, the history and the museum ... though I think the tour guide even tired of their endless questions.

We wrapped up a great day with the social / dinner that the NAU Masters put on at a community pool before heading back down to the Valley. It was cool to get to know a little bit more about some of the people there and we had a great, great time. I just wish more Masters swimmers from the southern part of AZ would realize how great it is to come up to Flag to swim.

I'm looking forward to another rendition of their SCM meet this fall.

Sunday Jochums Revenge
    Peter came over this morning and brought a set with him that he said he got from training with Dick Jochums back in the 80s. The set, in yards, is supposed to be 100 200 300 400 500 600 700 - 800 on 2:00 3:00 4:00 5:00 6:00 7:00 8:00 9:00. We modified the intervals to be 2:00 3:00 4:00 5:00 6:00 7:15 8:30 9:45, but only one man can climb the podium to say he made it and that man wasnt me

We did a warmup of 400 followed by 12 x 50s on 0:50 descending in 3s before the main set. Here's how it went for me:
    • 100 - swam w/snorkel and crushed the interval
    • 200 - swam w/snorkel and was 2:34
    • 300 - pulled this w/buoy, went 3:48, which was slower than I expected
    • 400 - added my agility paddles and kept pulling, going 4:53 ... barely making the 5:00 interval
    • 500 - started w/buoy & paddles, but started falling behind Peter very early on into this so I dropped the buoy around the 250 or 300 mark and threw my legs into it. I hit the wall at 6:10, whereas Peter had already made the 6:00 interval. I decided to switch the interval to 6:20 and then add 1:20 to each of the subsequent distances
    • 600 - The interval should have been easier to make at 7:40, but I was just trashed and touched the wall at 7:41

At this point, my arms were wasted and Peter was continuing to crank. I should've thought about maybe just resting a 100 and then trying to jump back into the loop with him, but I decided to work my legs and did 16 x 50 on 1:05 kicking, alternating one moderate (reverse IM order) and one fast (IM order). I finished that set about the time Peter finished the Jochums set and we cooled down for a 100. That still have me a respectable 4K workout, but it was frustrating not to make the set.

Unfortunately, I told Peter that I was frustrated and so he threw down the gauntlet, "So, we'll just do it again next Sunday and you'll have to make it!"

At least I have a week to wrap my head around it! Strangely, though, I am looking forward to it as I think this is the kind of workout I need to do more of to prepare for both the 800/1500 and open water racing.