Blog Comments

Your wife is very wise! The best laid plans sometimes go awry. Congrats on some amazing distance swims!
    excellent job this weekend!
    Congrats on that mile, that's impressive! I hadn't thought about using the SPL method for controlling pace before.
    Terrific swims Patrick, congratulations. Very cool to be setting PRs, especially untapered. Did you actually reduce your stroke count on the 8th and 9th 100?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Dickson
    Excellent swimming this weekend.
    Thanks, Kurt.

Actually equally egregious is they actually let in a paper entry (so were up to 25). I emailed and asked if they were going to have 4 heats. I received the 10 lane response but my inquiry about allowing a few more entries in was shot down. The crusty look I received from this same person when asking about a 1000 split request was precious. Super friendly lady...clearly a big fan of masters swimming!
    I think they totally messed up the distance events. I completely understand limiting entries and I'm OK if they limit it based upon order of when you sign up. However, what they should do is allow everyone to enter, sort the entries by when you entered, require check-in the day of the event and then fill the heats with deck-seeding. Maybe next year?
    Excellent swimming this weekend.

Actually equally egregious is they actually let in a paper entry (so were up to 25). I emailed and asked if they were going to have 4 heats. I received the 10 lane response but my inquiry about allowing a few more entries in was shot down. The crusty look I received from this same person when asking about a 1000 split request was precious. Super friendly lady...clearly a big fan of masters swimming!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    That is amazing Patrick -- you slaughtered a time from 15 years ago. Splits look pretty good to my untrained eye as well. You must be stoked! And it's nice to have a couple goals to shoot for going forward.
    Thanks, Leslie, and, yes, I am stoked. My splits dropped off right where I felt like it - after Kurt finished his 1000. It's funny that I really thought I was keeping my headspace in my lane, but I was clearly clocking off him more than I thought.
    That's awesome Patrick. It's great to see a peer slaughter a time from his 30s! Inspiring frankly. Good job!
    That is amazing Patrick -- you slaughtered a time from 15 years ago. Splits look pretty good to my untrained eye as well. You must be stoked! And it's nice to have a couple goals to shoot for going forward.
    I'm not so sure that weight makes a significant difference. 20-30 pounds yes definitely, you don't want to lug that lard. But 10 pounds, not so much. Sometimes a weight gain can be muscle too and that's a net positive. If you lose weight, just don't lose muscle. Losing muscle as we age seems like a bad idea.

I think bumping up the length of your workouts is likely a good idea.

Hope you had a great birthday!
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    Belated happy birthday young man!
    Thanks, Stewart. One more year of racing against you in the same age group before I move up with the big boys

Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    Great data. it would be good to correlate performance during the same time frame. Do you perform better at lower weight and higher yardage. Intuitively you would think that was the case.
    Qualitatively, yes, as I swam very well in both 2011 and, in particular, 2012. I do think that 185 is probably the optimal racing weight for me, but it was interesting that I was swimming longer per workout in 2012. I don't think I have a lot more aggregate time in my life to train more, but maybe I need to think about aiming for four 90 minute swimming sessions a week instead of what I'm doing these days which is more like 5-6 45-60 minute sessions.
    Belated happy birthday young man!

Great data. it would be good to correlate performance during the same time frame. Do you perform better at lower weight and higher yardage. Intuitively you would think that was the case.
    You really know how to talk to a girl. So I was planning on a split request in 1650 for 1000 (and a cruise 650, thus the time) as all SaddleBrook masters hogged all the 1000 spots. I literally tried to enter 2 days after announced on email. Strangely they let a paper entry get in (likely after I tried to get in which is kind of annoying). They now have 25 but are apparently running 10 lanes with probably 5 lanes open leaving Kurt sad and despondent. I am doing the open water (62 degrees last week) as well and should have at least 2 faster people to get beat by (a fast girl and her coach from Colorado). See you Saturday.
    Ahh, the time makes sense now. Good luck in the OW race - I'm clearly not man enough to try both events in one day, but I will try to hang with you for as long as I can through the 1000!
    [/QUOTE]I'm looking forward to having a fun mile race with my sandbagger friend and sometimes-training partner [QUOTE]

You really know how to talk to a girl. So I was planning on a split request in 1650 for 1000 (and a cruise 650, thus the time) as all SaddleBrook masters hogged all the 1000 spots. I literally tried to enter 2 days after announced on email. Strangely they let a paper entry get in (likely after I tried to get in which is kind of annoying). They now have 25 but are apparently running 10 lanes with probably 5 lanes open leaving Kurt sad and despondent. I am doing the open water (62 degrees last week) as well and should have at least 2 faster people to get beat by (a fast girl and her coach from Colorado). See you Saturday.
    Quote Originally Posted by SwimDogs
    2. Why isn't your daughter in the Swimtathlon? Or, is she a younger daughter than the one who kicked my ass around Flathead Lake a couple of years ago?
    Mark, yes this was my youngest daughter timing me. My oldest daughter, who cranked across the bay there in Polson, is busily tapering for Canadian Olympic Trials next week!
    Three comments:

1. FAST!
    2. Why isn't your daughter in the Swimtathlon? Or, is she a younger daughter than the one who kicked my ass around Flathead Lake a couple of years ago?
    3. Thanks for plugging the Swimtathlon League! I've recorded your SCM times from above...get me your 100IM time to complete Stage One!

Fly = 27.58
    Back = 31.03
    Breast = 34.16
    Free = 25.53

Mark
    Great picture. You have the same challenge I have with pictures and that's, you have to duck to fit in the frame. Looks like you guys had a blast!
    Nice job Patrick. That is one hell of a tough set.
    When you posted that on Facebook, I thought that was Cottonwood Rec center in Utah. They have a 50 meter pool. Oops.
    Just another pool I clearly need to get to!
    Entered state 3 or 4 days ago. No more spots for 1000. So sad. I had to enter mile. See ya.
    I will definitely be there for the mile and look forward to racing! I'm not sure if I will swim the 1000, so maybe I can 'donate' my spot to you?