View RSS Feed

Uncategorized

Entries with no category

1. Cal State Northridge & Sprinter Psych

by , March 3rd, 2016 at 01:40 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    I remember my father, back in the days when he golfed, making the comment to the effect that, even if the game didn't go so well, it was often relaxing just to be golfing in a beautiful setting. As I sucked so horribly at golf and am horribly competitive, I never quite reached that level of golf zen, but I do feel the same way about swimming. It's even more rewarding when you come across a new pool in a sweet setting and then swim well, as I did this morning when I dropped into the Cal State U - Northridge's Plaza Pool for a morning swim -

I had the pool almost completely to myself and did this taper-like workout:
    • 1 x 300: fly-back-free by 100, kick-drill by 25
    • 3 x 100: on 1:20, descend w/snorkel (1:11 -> 1:02)
    • 4 x 75: on 1:15, kick on back descend, odd laps dolphin, even laps backstroke kick
    • 6 x 50: on 0:55, #1 and #6 cruise, #2 to #5 as fly (0:30), free (0:30), back (0:32+), free (0:29+)
    • 12 x 25: on 0:30, odds easy, evens done strong fly, free, back, free, fly, free
    • 1 x 50: easy
    • 3 rounds of:
      • 2 x 50: on 0:45, hold 0:30 lows (did that w/a couple 0:29+)
      • 1 x 100: on 1:30, hold 1:01s (did that; target 1000 pace)
      • 1 x 50: on 1:30, w/snorkel, floppy fish drill

• 4 x 50: on 0:45, 0:50, 0:55, active recovery and drills

TOTAL: 2,500 SCY

Comments:
    • Felt pretty good this morning and really liked this pool, more for the setting as it was an old-school, no gutter pool, but it's a nice addition to my list and good to know about as they have generous lap hours and, according to the lifeguard and one other patron, it is rarely crowded.
    • Psych sheets are up (and attached) for this Sunday's sprint meet. Naturally, I wish Kurt or Sean Justice or some other fast swimmer was there to race the 1000 with me, but I'm feeling more optimistic about that and hope I can notch a good time. I will choose my Nationals events and submit my entry later on Sunday or Monday based upon how that 1000 and 200 fly go.
    • The pace set felt pretty good. If I can get under my 10:22.0 time from last year this Sunday (which is also my Masters best), I'll be happy, but I'd really like to get under 10:10 so I can, if I choose to swim it at Nationals, get seeded with the studs.

Updated pool list - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
    Tags: pool list
    Categories
    Uncategorized
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Files
  2. 14 & 0.02 seconds

by , February 29th, 2016 at 12:29 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    I did take Sunday off from actual training, but still got my heart rate up very high watching my daughter swim the 800 at her Canadian university championship meet. While I expected her to have a strong race with the University of Toronto swimmer who was 2nd to her in the 400, the race actually came from a different Toronto swimmer. After starting off in a measured way through the 400, my daughter was in 3rd place and about 3 seconds behind the leader, who was next to her. She started to pick up the pace considerably over the next 200 and had pulled even by 600 and turned with about a 1 second lead at the 700. The last 100 and, in particular, the last 50 turned into an all-out blast race, with the Toronto woman pulling practically even by the 750 turn. They both blasted to the finish and went under the prior championship record with my daughter dropping 14 seconds off her prior best and going 8:58.11 ... but, unfortunately, the woman from Toronto got the slightest edge at the touch and won it with 8:58.09. It was an incredible swim for my daughter, in my opinion the best of her swims in an excellent weekend where she notched best times in each of the 200, 400 and 800, but I know she felt frustrated she couldn't deliver the win for the team. Such a long race and such a small margin is really tough to lose by (I've been there before), but I think, with some time, she'll realize what an exceptional swim that was.

As for my training today, I'm really hoping a massage works out the junk that I've been feeling the last 7-10 days.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Get the funk outta here!

by , February 25th, 2016 at 09:50 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    I slept like crap last night; pure monkey mind running rampant until at least midnight and yet I wasn't willing to give up on my 5am alarm clock to make the Stanford Masters 5:20am workout. Part of the champing chimp in my brain was screaming about how bad my performance would be on only 5 hours of sleep ...

... and yet ... a strange thing happened once I got through the Baker LCM pool warmup set of 12 x 50s on 1:00 alternate 25 stroke - 25 free, and the set of four descending 200s pull on 2:50 ... I started -- dare I say it? -- to feel like my old (or maybe young) self again. The weight in my arms that had been flummoxing me in workouts over the last week seemed to have gone. My kick seemed to work without threatening calf cramps. I seemed to be able to muster a stroke rate faster than the noodler rate I've done of late.

The main set came and it was a good one - 4 rounds of

• 4 fast efforts on about 0:20 rest
      • Round 1 = 15M
      • Round 2 = 25M
      • Round 3 = 35M
      • Round 4 = 50M

• 4 x 100 on 1:20

I mixed up strokes on the fast efforts and then focused the 100s on seeing what kind of pace I could hold. While my 100 times weren't exactly Haas-ian (https://swimswam.com/2016-big-12-cha...ls-live-recap/), I was really happy to hold 1:12s on round 1 and then 1:10/11s on the remainder of the set.

Thanks again, Stanford Masters, for a great workout, a great pool and great people. Also, I really appreciate that Stanford Masters offer all this greatness for free as long as you show your USMS card. In a pool of very good USMS programs, they are truly one of the best programs out there. If any of you who read this blog get the chance to swim with this great program, please do so!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Menlo Mountains

by , February 24th, 2016 at 11:58 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    I'll come back to the mini-mountains of Menlo Park, but it's been almost a week since I last blogged. If I didn't know I was in such a funk, I'd think I was in a funk. Here's how the world of working out evolved since last Friday:
    • Saturday - I had the good fortune of coordinating training time with my friend, Peter, in the backyard. Peter had the excuse of having done a hard 10 mile run that morning, but there was no excuse for my performance, after a day off on Friday, on the first part of my "Fun w/1500s" workout:
      • 500-400-300-200-100 on 1:30/100 for the odds cruise/build up free, 1:40/100 for the evens drill/swim IM
      • 100-200-300-400-500 on 1:20/100 aiming to hold 1:11/1:12 pace
        • was 1:09, 2:26, 3:45, 5:08 and 6 something godawful slow

• Was supposed to go into 15 x 100 on dropping intervals, but Peter suggested, wisely, 3 rounds of 3 x 100 on 1:30, trying to hold 1:10s. I pulled these with buoy, paddles and snorkel and mostly managed 1:10s, but saw some 1:11s and one 1:12

• Sunday: I think I've now blocked this from my memory. I know from my workout spreadsheet that I clocked 3,125 SCY equivalents in my SCM pool, but it was such a piss-poor performance that I've lost the actual sets and results in the depth of my muddled-age mind.
      • I think this was the evening I told my wife I was giving up the sport; my performances of the last week being so inexplicable.

• Monday: I did nothing other than walk the dogs independently and to give the Fluff-Bomb an extra mile or so.
    • Tuesday: You gotta love yoga for the lack of a pace clock. I was pretty chilled in the hot yoga class and very focused on being alone with my thoughts on my mat. I didn't even have to stop my monkey mind from trying to compete with the other wannabe-yogis. I had had a good night of sleep and was starting to feel more positive.

That brings me today, which, thanks to the smiley happy folks at Southwest, brought me to Menlo Park. I got in late enough on Tuesday night and had early enough calls that I wasn't able to join Stanford Masters today, but went over to the 2nd best facility in the area, the Burgess Pool / Menlo Swim and Sport. I thought I'd feel better on a rendition of the Mountains of Fun Workout #3 (http://forums.usms.org/showthread.ph...Start-Feb-22nd) from this week, but, while performing marginally better than last week, still felt sluggish and sore.

My periodization training plan is completely out the window now. I will hit Stanford's 5:20am workout tomorrow and aim to swim on both Friday and Saturday. After that, I think I'm just going to rest into the Sprinter Spectacular on March 6th (https://www.clubassistant.com/club/m...1044&smid=7437) and then re-group/re-plan from there for Nationals.

On the positive side, I realized that one of those great 80's dance bands Erasure is still making music, at least as recently as 2014. My iTunes just got buzzier.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Running into food walls

by , February 19th, 2016 at 07:37 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    I think I need to think more deeply and creatively about recovery and about food. Beyond the alcohol and caffeine consumption changes (decreases) I have made in my life this year, I've been doing an excellent job of eating more 'cleanly' and intaking a greater volume and variety of veggies and fruits. Certainly when I'm home and many days when I'm on the road and can find a decent enough option, I'm having a very nutrient-packed smoothies (e.g., great blends of greens, whole fruit, avocados, bananas, greek yogurt, etc.) as one of my snacks. I'm not perfect about cutting out all refined sugars, but I've dropped those considerably, opting for a quality protein bar instead of Snickers and avoiding my biggest prior empty calorie bomb, the 59 cent Boston Creme donut from Safeway.

However, in all of this pursuit of more goodness in my diet, I think I've been sacrificing some quantity, some much needed calories. I found myself on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday of this week just reaching points in the day, usually in the late afternoon where I would have typically loaded up on some caloric junk, just weak and hungry. After a very good hot yoga session on Wednesday morning before going over & back to NorCal for the day, I made an attempt at my 3 x 300 test set on Thursday afternoon, but felt 'bonked' before my warmup sets were even done. My 3:40 SCM effort on the first repeat was a solid 10-15 seconds slower than where I should have been and, instead of feeling like I was getting myself warmed up through that 300, I felt myself getting worn down. I stopped the workout after that and called it a day, feeling wasted instead of refreshed after a day out of the pool.

I took today off other than a couple mile walk with the dogs. I'll do some light yoga tonight after my family and I go down to watch the ASU women's basketball team** (hopefully) whoop-up on Washington State. I have been more conscious about eating more today and felt my energy levels higher, but I need to build a bigger repertoire of healthy recovery snacks and food. I don't want to go down the route of manufactured foods, so I'd be really interested to understand what people have found to be effective, energetic and quality-calories to aid recovery and performance?

** My wife and I bought a mini-season set of tickets to the ASU women's basketball team this year and have been absolutely loving the games. This team plays with style and enthusiasm - no holds barred from defense to offense. I honestly still have no clue about really any type of foul other than traveling or double dribbling, but I really love being a spectator. While neither of us went to ASU, we've also had fun at men's basketball, women's volleyball and men's hockey and will take in some tennis and beach volleyball this spring. Initially, we started this sports-tourism to expose our 3rd daughter to different sports once she retired from swimming, but now we're just having so much fun, it almost doesn't matter if our daughter contemplates the sport or not.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. If this is global warming ...

by , February 14th, 2016 at 05:04 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    ... bring it on!

We've been breaking high temperature records here this week and so I turned my pool heaters on Thursday to see what would happen. In normal years, I'm not able to get my pool warm enough to swim in (my minimum temperature is about 71/72 with desired temperature around 74-76) until mid-March or so. By today, even with my pool cover still broken (long story), I was able to dive into picture-perfect 74 degree water a little after 9am this morning. I had skipped my planned yoga class yesterday as there was a fair amount of pool maintenance I needed to do, as well as party prep for some friends we had over yesterday evening for a lovely dinner al fresco.

I repeated my Aussie 200 fly set today, made the intervals a bit more challenging and was pretty pleased with the results:

Warmup sets (1,775 set)

• 1 x 300: reverse IM, kick-drill-swim by 25s
    • 4 x 100: on 1:30, free swim, descend w/snorkel, 1:17, 1:15, 1:11, 1:09
    • 6 x 50: on 0:50, SDK w/monofin going 10 AFAP underwater SDKs off each wall (belly on 1st 25, back on 2nd 25) and then easy thereafter
    • 6 x 50: on 0:55, #1 and #6 easy free w/snorkel, #2 to #5 IM order build (0:33, 0:36, 0:40+, 0:31+)
    • 2 rounds of:
      • 8 x 25: on 0:30, odds fast IM order from blocks, evens easy
      • 1 x 50: on 1:00, easy free w/snorkel ... but skipped a 25 to go turn the pool heaters off as I don't like the jet locations when I'm trying to swim faster

Aussie 200s fly (1,950 set / 3,725 total)

My aim was to try to hold 0:33s on the fly; all the easy 50s I did free with a snorkel. I added an easy 50 breaststroke kick on 1:20 between each round

• Round 1 - 4 rounds of 3 x 50 cruise - 1 x 50 at race pace, all on 0:50
      • 0:34, 0:33, 0:33, 0:33+

• Round 2 - 4 rounds of 2 x 50 cruise - 1 x 50 at race pace, all on 0:50 (e.g., I normally add 5 seconds to the interval, but kept it the same)
      • solid 33s

• Round 3 - 4 rounds of 1 x 50 cruise - 1 x 50 at race pace, all on 0:55
      • ​0:33, 0:33, 0:34, 0:35

• Round 1 - 4 x 50 on 1:00 at race pace
      • ​0:33, 0:34, 0:34, 0:34+

Sprint Closure (400 set / 4,125 total)

• 3 x 50: active recovery w/snorkel on 0:45, 1:00, whatever
    • 1 x 100: free fast from blocks, about 1:30+/1:04-
    • 3 x 50: active recovery w/snorkel on 0:45, 1:00, whatever

TOTAL: 4,125 SCM

Comments:
    • Oh it was sweet to be able to swim back at home again. Much as I like Cactus and other pools, I really enjoy the utter tranquility and focus of being able to train at home. Plus, I was able to fit this all into an otherwise very busy Sunday as we found out yesterday that an old friend of ours, who we haven't seen for more than 5 years, happens to be in town with his son for a hockey tournament. Party #2 this weekend, a true unicorn of an event for my wife and I.
    • I achieved almost all of what I wanted to accomplish training-wise this week - 4 great workouts totaling 18K SCY and most of the dryland work except that missed yoga class. Feeling very good in the water, as well, which is always a treat.
    Tags: hackett 200
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Stanford D-man

by , January 12th, 2016 at 03:22 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    It was like Stanford Masters coach Tim Edmonds was inside my head and knew exactly what kind of workout I needed this morning when I dropped in for their 5:20am LONG COURSE workout. This huge Masters group was even more huge today and we had 10 lanes in the deeper, Belardi pool, as well as 2 additional lanes in the Baker pool. I was in the Baker pool and just loved this (though, it certainly helped that I felt good):

Warmup sets (1,100)

• General warmup during which I got in a 300 of various drills, kicking and swimming
    • 3 x 200: on 3:50, IM descend, I was 2:56, 2:44, 2:36
    • 4 x 50: on 1:20, descended from 0:48 to 0:43

Main Set #1 (1,900 / 3,000 total)
    • 4 x 100: free, on 1:15, 1:20, 1:25, 1:30 - I just tried to make the intervals by 0:05 and did so
    • Extra 30 seconds rest
    • 1 x 800: ended up being on about 12:00, goal was to swim at as fast and steady a pace as possible
      • End time was 10:02 and I think I was damn close to even splitting this

• 4 x 100: free, on 1:30, 1:25, 1:20, 1:15 - I swam these with a snorkel and just focused on making the intervals

Cool-down for 5-6 minutes during which I went a 300 easy with a snorkel done as 200 free and then a 100 mixing up dolphin dives and breaststroke kicking

Main Set #2 (1,000 / 4,000 total)
    • A Broken 800 done as 4 x 200 on 3:10, 2:55, 2:40, 2:25
      • I was 2:28, 2:30, 2:31, 2:28 - so not much faster than my straight 800

• 1 x 200: cool-down

TOTAL: 4,000 LCM

Comments:
    • Between the fact this was long course and the two "800s," I was completely beat by the end of this, but in that blissful kind of endorphin high.
    • I almost never swim straight 800s, but this felt very strong and I was exceptionally happy with that time.
    • Tomorrow morning's workout at Stanford is only an hour, but I think it'll be long course again and that I can get there.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Heckled & hustling 200s

by , January 9th, 2016 at 02:26 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    Last night my wife and I went to see the comedian Russell Peters at the Tempe Improv. We'd seen many of his bits online and knew he engaged a lot with members of the audience, often at their expense, but wanted to get the full experience. With general admission seating, we got there right as the club opened and managed to snag some front row seats, just at one edge of the stage. The show was awesome to the point where I laughed so hard I think it could count as a core workout, but I did get called out and made fun of - he does a lot of humor centered around race/ethnicity/nationality and I was his token typical white guy whipping boy. He got my wife into the mix as well and had a lot of fun with her father (who is Indian). I was pretty impressed that he managed to go pretty far, but never really seemed to go too far into uncomfortable territory with any of the audience members he 'heckled.' It was a great, great evening and I highly recommend it (as long as you check your sensitivities at the door).

My Friday work day was a complete blur - whatever pent-up energy that was stored by my customers and my colleagues during the slow last two weeks of 2015 exploded like a North Korean H-bomb and I was just running and gunning all day long. I managed to squeeze in a 1 mile dog walk during a conference call where I was primarily listening and had proactively done my 20 minute yoga session before the madness began.

After finishing up my Hackett 200 set on Thursday feeling so good, I thought the day out of the pool would leave me feeling refreshed and faster today and it mostly did. I got to MMR right at the 8am opening time and repeated my Zipfizz 200 workouts and had one of my better performances:

Warmup sets (1,050 set)

• 1 x 300: IM, kick-drill-swim by 25s
    • 3 x 100: on 1:20, free pull w/snorkel, 1:11, 1:10, 1:08
      • OK, at this point, I wasn't feeling quite awake yet. Not sore, just not able to produce much speed.

• 6 x 50: on 0:55, #1 and #6, easy w/snorkel, #2 to #5 strong IM order (0:31, 0:33, 0:37, 0:3)
    • 4 x 25: on 0:30, odds easy, evens fast fly (0:13) and free (0:12)
      • By this point, the feeling I had expected had arrived and I was feeling quite confident about the main set

• 1 x 50: easy

Zipfizz 200s (2,450 set / 3,500 total)
    The goal here is to really challenge yourself aerobically on the first set of 200s with an interval that is the fastest you can make 5 x 200s free on with high intensity. As the number of repeats get shorter and the rest more generous, the aim to get faster.

• 5 x 200: on 2:20
      • 08-29-13 - SCM - swim - 2:27+, 2:30, 2:28, 2:28, 2:28
      • 03-05-14 - SCY - swim - 2:11, 2:11, 2:11+, 2:10, 2:10
      • 08-20-15 - SCM - swim - 2:25, 2:27, 2:27, 2:29,2:31
      • 09-05-15 - SCM - w/buoy & paddles, 2:22, 2:21+, 2:22+, 2:21+, 2:20
      • 09-19-15 - SCM - w/buoy & paddles, 2:23s on all except last one where I was 2:24
      • 09-29-15 - SCY - 2:11, 2:12, 2:11+, 2:11, 2:09+
      • 10-13-15 - SCY - 2:12, 2:11+, 2:11, 2:11, 2:07
      • 11-24-15 - SCY w/snorkel - 2:10, 2:10+, 2:11, 2:12, 2:12
      • 01-09-16 - SCY - swim - 2:05+, 2:07, 2:07+, 2:08, 2:09

• 4 x 50: active recovery on 0:40, 0:50, 1:00, 1:20
    • 3 x 200: on 2:35, descend
      • 08-29-13 - SCM - swim - 2:28, 2:23, 2:20
      • 03-05-14 - SCY - swim - 2:14, 2:10, 2:06
      • 08-20-15 - SCM - swim - 2:32, 2:34, 2:37
      • 09-05-15 - SCM - w/buoy - 2:23, 2:23, 2:24
      • 09-19-15 - SCM - w/buoy - 2:26, 2:24+++, 2:22
      • 09-29-15 - SCY - swim - 2:18, 2:11, 2:05
      • 10-13-15 - SCY - swim - 2:14+, 2:09+, 2:04+
      • 11-25-15 - SCY - swim/snorkel except last one - 2:14, 2:10, 2:06
      • 01-09-16 - SCY - swim - 2:14, 2:09, 2:03

• 4 x 50: active recovery on 0:45, 0:55, 1:05, 1:30
    • 1 x 200: on 2:30
      • 08-29-13 - SCM - swim - 2:16
      • 03-05-14 - SCY - swim - 2:04
      • 08-20-15 - SCM - skipped
      • 09-05-15 - SCM - swim, 2:20
      • 09-19-15 - SCM - swim, 2:20
      • 09-29-15 - SCY - swim - 2:03
      • 10-13-15 - SCY - swim - 1:58
      • 11-25-15 - SCY - swim - 2:01+
      • 01-09-16 - SCY - swim - 2:02

• 5 x 50: active recovery w/snorkel & buoy, 2 each on 0:45 and 0:50, 0:55

TOTAL: 3,500 SCY

Comments:
    • I was shocked with the first 2:05+ that I went to start the set as it really felt like a 2:10 or more. That round definitely got harder to hang onto that speed, but it was the best I'd ever done starting this set.
    • I'm pretty stoked that I performed very much in line with where I was last fall as I've made a huge leap over the last week of training.
    • I'm looking forward to The Olympic Club's 1500 meet on January 30th.
      • I'm 95% sure I'll be there as we have a belated team holiday party in San Francisco on the 29th and the fast-to-slow seeding means I can wake up, swim and then hightail it back to Arizona.
      • Though the psych sheets aren't out yet, I can see the names of people entered (http://www.swimphone.com/mobile/meet....cfm?smid=7068). Very cool names that popped for me include Chad La Tourette and Ben Hinshaw. I'll be interested to see the seed times as Barton Wells, a distance stud my age, is also entered. It would be great to be in a lane next to him, but I'll have to wait to see both the entry times and see who actually shows up.
      • The only downside to doing this meet is that it means I won't also be able to do the Polar Bear meet in Tucson scheduled for the 31st.
    Tags: zipfizz 200s
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Did Grant ever swim the 200 IM?

by , January 8th, 2016 at 01:36 AM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    This morning at the always pleasant Pleasant Valley Aquatic Center in Camarillo, I swam my 6th workout of the year and, though I started feeling creaky and tired, ended finally feeling like myself again. It's been a long time since I did my 'Hackett 200' set as IMs, so I had a lot of fun with this:

Warmup sets (1,050)
    • 1 x 300: IM, k-d-swim
    • 3 x 100: on 1:20, free descend w/snorkel, was 1:11, 1:10, 1:08 and really struggling
    • 4 x 50: on 0:55, dolphin-flutter kick on back descend, was 0:43 -> 0:39
    • 8 x 25: on 0:30, odds easy free, evens fast IM order
    • 1 x 50: easy w/snorkel

Hackett 200 Test Set (2,200 set / 3,250)

• 16 x 50: on 0:45, every 4th one at target 200 race pace (easy 50s free)
      • SCM 09/13/13 - IM - 35, 35+, 41, 32+ = 2:24
      • SCM 09/20/13 - IM - 33, 35+, 41, 32 = 2:21+
      • SCM 11/13/13 - IM - 32+, 34, 40, 30 = 2:16+
      • SCY 03/01/14 - IM - 30, 32, 37, 30 = 2:09 (~ 2:23 in SCM)
      • SCM 04/08/14 (w/B70) - 0:32, 0:33+, 0:40+, 0:31 = 2:17
      • SCM 04/15/14 - 0:33, 0:34, 0:41, 0:31+ = 2:18+
      • SCY 11/18/14 - IM- 30,32, 37, 30
      • SCY 11/26/14 - IM- 29+,31, 36+, 28 = 2:05
      • SCY 12/02/14 - IM- 31+,31+, 36+, 27+ = 2:07
      • SCY 01/07/16 - IM - 30+, 31+, 36, 28 = 2:06

• MASTERS MINUTE in which I did an easy 50 w/snorkel
    • 12 x 50: on 0:50, every 3rd at target race pace (easy 50s free)
      • SCM 09/13/13 - IM - 34+, 34, 40, 31+ = 2:20
      • SCM 09/20/13 - IM - 33, 35, 40, 32 = 2:20
      • SCM 11/13/13 - IM - 31+, 33, 39+, 30 = 2:15
      • SCY 03/01/14 - IM - 30, 31+, 37, 30 = 2:08+ (~ 2:23 in SCM)
      • SCM 04/08/14 (w/B70) - 0:31+, 0:33+, 0:39+, 0:31+ = 2:16
      • SCM 04/15/14 - 0:32, 0:34, 0:40+, 0:31+ = 2:17
      • SCY 11/18/14 - IM- 30,32, 37, 30
      • SCY 11/26/14 - IM- 29,30, 36, 27 = 2:02
      • SCY 12/02/14 - IM- 30+,31, 35, 26+ = 2:03
      • SCY 01/07/16 - IM - 30, 31, 36, 28 = 2:05

• 8 x 50: on 0:55 every other one at target race pace
      • SCM 09/13/13 - IM - 33, 34, 40, 31 = 2:18
      • SCM 09/20/13 - IM - 32, 34+, 40, 31 = 2:17+
      • SCM 11/13/13 - IM - 31, 33, 39, 29+ = 2:12+
      • SCY 03/01/14 - IM - 30, 32, 36+, 28 = 2:06+ (~ 2:20+ in SCM)
      • SCM 04/08/14 (w/B70) - each fast one from the blocks - 0:30, 0:33, 0:37+, 0:29 (done on 1:00)
      • SCM 04/15/14 - IM - 31, 33+, 39+, 31 = 2:15
      • SCY 11/18/14 - IM- 30,31+, 36+, 29
      • SCY 11/26/14 - IM- 28+, 30+, 35, 26+ = 2:00+
      • SCY 12/02/14 - IM- 29+, 31, 35, 26 = 2:01+
      • SCY 01/07/16 - IM - 29+, 30+, 36, 27+ = 2:03+

• 4 x 50: on 1:00, all at target race pace
      • SCM 04/15/14 - IM - 31, 33, 39+, 30 = 2:13+
      • SCY 11/18/14 - IM- 29+, 31+, 36, 27+ = 2:04+
      • SCY 11/26/14 - IM- 28, 30, 36, 27 = 2:01
      • SCY 01/07/16 - IM - 29, 30, 36, 27 = 2:02+

• 1 x 50: ultra easy w/snorkel

Cool-down 5 x 50 active recovery w/snorkel

TOTAL: 3,500 SCY

Comments:

• I am definitely taking tomorrow off from the pool. I was hoping to get to some sort of a yoga class, but my schedule's not going to permit that. I'll hopefully get in some yoga mix on my own.
    Tags: hackett 200
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. 6th day, 5th workout, 1st new pool for 2016

by , January 6th, 2016 at 10:32 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    I flew over to San Jose this morning, had some good meetings with my team and clients and wasn't originally planning on swimming today. I had done my lame-a$$ dryland routine at home and planned a day out of the water after four workouts in a row. As the day unfolded and my other clients seemed to come out of the post-holiday torpor, my Friday calendar (when I did intend to swim) got filled up and I figured I'd better grab a swim today in a narrow window of opportunity.

As with most of my business trips, I had already pre-planned a few different options today in the event I was able to swim. Thanks to my JCC membership back in Arizona, my swim today at the Oshman JCC in Palo Alto was free and allowed me to add this functional pool to my list:

The facility itself was very nice and the indoor play pool looked great for families. While this was an old school lap pool, they had a working pace clock, the water temperature was great and I had my own lane for this:

• 1 x 400: IM, kick-drill by 25s
    • 4 x 100: on 1:20, free swim, descend w/snorkel
    • 4 x 100: on 1:45, IM kick w/board, descend
    • 6 x 50: on 0:55, #1 and #6 cruise w/snorkel, #2 to #5 build to fast IM order
    • Main set was 4 x 100 - 3 x 100 - 2 x 100 - 1 x 100 all on 1:25, aiming to hold 1:01s with an easy 50 w/snorkel on 1:25 after each round
      • Was 1:00, 1:00, 1:01, 1:01 on the 4, then 1:00, 1:01, 1:02 on the 3; struggled through 1:02s on the two and then have it everything I had and only managed a 1:01 on the last one

• I did one more 50 easy because, for whatever reason, I like 2,750 more than 2,700

TOTAL: 2,750 SCY

Comments:

• Unless my flight is delayed tonight down to SoCal, I will actually swim again tomorrow morning. However, my freestyle was feeling pretty beaten and broken by the end of this, so I think I'll do my Aussie/Hackett 200 set backstroke.
    • Outside of the pool, this article from the WSJ - http://www.wsj.com/articles/a-policy...ilt-1450883525 - got me thinking about a new approach to making some changes in my life. I'm trying it out with one focus for January and see if this works.

=====================================
    Pools I've trained and/or competed in since 2007

1. Cactus Aquatic Center (Scottsdale, AZ)
    2. Brophy Sports Campus (Phoenix, AZ)
    3. Lifetime Fitness (Scottsdale, AZ)
    4. Lifetime Fitness (Skokie, IL)
    5. Lifetime Fitness (Austin, TX)
    6. Somerville YMCA (Somerville, NJ)
    7. Raritan Valley Community College (Branchburg, NJ)
    8. IUPUI Natatorium (Indianapolis, IN)
    9. UT Swim Center (Austin, TX)
    10. U of Arizona Hillebrand Swim Center (Tucson, AZ)
    11. Talisman Centre Competition Pool (Calgary, Alberta)
    12. U of Lethbridge Max Bell Swim Centre (Lethbridge, Alberta)
    13. Crystal Pool (Victoria, British Columbia)
    14. Oaks Christian School (Westlake Village, CA)
    15. Lifetime Fitness (Berkeley Heights, NJ)
    16. Jewish Community Center (Scottsdale, AZ)
    17. McDowell Mountain Ranch Aquatic Center (Scottsdale, AZ)
    18. Desert Breeze Pool (Las Vegas, NV)
    19. The Olympic Club (San Francisco)
    20. Janet Evans Sports Complex (Fullerton, CA)
    21. Woollett Aquatic Center / Irvine High School (Irvine, CA)
    22. Bruce Hazard Pool @ Mission Valley YMCA (San Diego)
    23. UCSD Canyonview Pool (San Diego)
    24. Villanova University (Philadelphia, PA)
    25. Kino Aquatic Center (Mesa, AZ)
    26. Hilton Head Island Rec Center (Hilton Head, SC)
    27. YMCA Aquatic Center - 25M Diving Tank course (Orlando, FL)
    28. Westin Sohna-Gurgaon (India)
    29. Reading Central Pool (Reading, England)
    30. Optimist Park (Raleigh, NC)
    31. Pullen Aquatic Center (Raleigh, NC)
    32. NOVA Aquatics Center shallow pool (Richmond, VA)
    33. Lifetime Fitness (Cary, NC)
    34. Philadelphia Airport Marriott
    35. Berkeley Aquatic Club (Berkeley Heights, NJ)
    36. Chatham County Aquatic Center (Savannah, GA)
    37. Lifetime Fitness (Tempe, AZ)
    38. Clarke Swim Center 25 SCY course (Walnut Creek, CA)
    39. Holy Names University (Oakland, CA w/Manatee Masters)
    40. B.A.D.A.S.S. Pool (Scottsdale, AZ)
    41. Summit YMCA (Summit, NJ)
    42. George Washington Rec Center (Alexandria, VA)
    43. ACAC -- old 50M pool (Midlothian, VA)
    44. Centennial Indoor Pool (Cranford, NJ)
    45. Mission Viejo Dive Tank pool (Mission Viejo, CA)
    46. Mesa Carson Westwood Aquatic Complex (Mesa, AZ)
    47. Lifetime Fitness (Goodyear, AZ)
    48. Victoria YMCA (Victoria, BC)
    49. Issaquah Julius Boehm Pool (Issaquah, WA)
    50. Charles Hadley Pool (Miami, FL)
    51. Pompano Beach Aquatic Center (FL)
    52. Culver City Municipal Plunge (CA)
    53. Stanford Avery Aquatic Center - Baker Pool (Palo Alto, CA)
    54. Tualatin Hills Aquatic Center (Beaverton, OR)
    55. Mt Hood Aquatic Center (Gresham, OR)
    56. Juniper Swim & Fitness Center (Bend, Or)
    57. George Haines International Swim Center (Santa Clara, CA)
    58. Renaissance Club Sport (Aliso Viejo, CA)
    59. Rengstorff Pool (Mountain View, CA)
    60. Coronado Municipal Pool (Coronado, CA)
    61. Eagle Park (Mountain View, CA)
    62. James City / Williamsburg Community Center (Williamsburg, VA)
    63. NOVA Aquatics Center deep pool (Richmond, VA)
    64. Belmont Plaza outdoor pool (Long Beach, CA)
    65. Laguna Beach HS Pool (CA)
    66. Lifetime Fitness (Florham Park, NJ)
    67. USF Koret Aquatic Center (San Fran)
    68. Lifetime Athletic (Vernon Hills, IL)
    69. Stanford Avery Aquatic Center - Bellardi Pool (Palo Alto, CA)
    70. Fremont Hills Country Club (Los Altos Hills, CA)
    71. Rinconada Pool (Palo Alto, CA)
    72. Burlingame Aquatic Center (Burlingame, CA)
    73. Medgar Evers Pool (Seattle, WA)
    74. McGill Memorial Pool (Montreal, QC)
    75. Montreal Downtown YMCA (Montreal, QC)
    76. College of San Mateo (CA)
    77. Greensboro Aquatic Center (NC)
    78. Josh Davis Natatorium (San Antonio, TX)
    79. Bill Walker Pool (San Antonio, TX)
    80. JCC of San Diego
    81. 2012 Olympic Trials Pool (Omaha)
    82. El Pomar Natatorium (University of Denver)
    83. Mt Lebanon Swim Center (PA)
    84. Fritz Sick Memorial Pool (Lethbridge, Alberta)
    85. University of Calgary Aquatic Centre (Alberta)
    86. Kinsmen Aquatic Centre (Edmonton, Alberta)
    87. Eau Claire YMCA (Calgary, Alberta)
    88. Talisman Centre Training Pool (Calgary, Alberta)
    89. Burgess Memorial Pool (Menlo Park, CA)
    90. Kona Kai Resort (San Diego, CA)
    91. Sierra Recreation Center (Mission Viejo, CA)
    92. ACAC -- new (2012) 25M pool (Midlothian, VA)
    93. Greater Richmond Aquatic Partnership / 2008 Olympic Trials Pool (Richmond, VA)
    94. Golden Bear Pool (Berkeley, CA)
    95. Cal Lutheran University Community Pool (Thousand Oaks, CA)
    96. North Beach Pool (San Francisco, CA)
    97. Calgary Winter Club (Calgary, Canada)
    98. Orange Memorial Pool (South San Francisco, CA)
    99. Hamilton Pool (San Francisco, CA)
    100. Jean Brink / Oceana Pool (Pacifica, CA)
    101. City of Calabasas Tennis & Swim Center (Calabasas, CA)
    102. Oro Valley Aquatic Center (Oro Valley, AZ)
    103. Ventura Aquatic Center (CA)
    104. Claremont Resort (Berkeley, CA)
    105. Plantation Aquatic Center (Plantation, FL)
    106. Hyatt Regency Coconut Point (Bonita Springs, FL)
    107. Florida Gulf Coast University Aquatic Center (Fort Meyers, FL)
    108. Club One Union Square (San Francisco, CA)
    109. Mecklenburg County Aquatic Center (Charlotte, NC)
    110. Sunset Canyon Recreation Center LCM pool (UCLA)
    111. Chickahominy YMCA (Sandston, VA)
    112. Soda Aquatic Center (Moraga, CA)
    113. Salt Lake City/Steiner Aquatic Center (Utah)
    114. Splash Montana "The Lake" Pool (Missoula, MT)
    115. Grizzly Pool / U of Montana (Missoula, MT)
    116. Daland Swim School (1000 Oaks, CA)
    117. Rancho Simi Community Pool (Simi Valley, CA)
    118. Brisbane Community Swim Center (Brisbane, CA)
    119. Cal Lutheran University Samuelson Aquatic Center (Thousand Oaks, CA)
    120. ASU Mona Plummer (Tempe, AZ)
    121. Rutger's Sonny Werblin (Piscataway, NJ)
    122. Mission Viejo Nadadores (Mission Viejo, CA)
    123. Phoenix Swim Club (Phoenix, AZ)
    124. Clovis North High School (Fresno, CA)
    125. YMCA Aquatic Center (Orlando, FL)
    126. Georgia Tech Aquatic Center (Atlanta, GA)
    127. Saanich Commonwealth Place (Victoria, BC)
    128. Glendale Foothills Aquatic Center (Glendale, AZ)
    129. Greensboro Aquatic Center (NC)
    130. UC-Irvine Crawford Pool (Irvine, CA)
    131. 2012 Olympic Trials Pool (Omaha)
    132. Clarke Swim Center 25M pool (Walnut Creek, CA)
    133. Santa Clarita Aquatic Center (Santa Clarita, CA)
    134. Wall Aquatic Center (Northern Arizona University, Flagstaff, AZ)
    135. Sedona Community Pool (Sedona, AZ)
    136. Chinatown YMCA (New York, NY)
    137. Westmoor Giammona Pool (Daly City, CA)
    138. El Dorado Aquatic Center (Scottsdale, AZ)
    139. Desert Foothills Family YMCA (Carefree/Scottsdale, AZ)
    140. UCLA Student Activities Center Pool (Los Angeles, CA)
    141. Brenda Villa Aquatic Center (Commerce, CA)
    142. Vanderbilt YMCA East Pool (Manhattan)
    143. USC Physical Education Department Indoor Pool (Los Angeles, CA)
    144. Santa Monica Swim Center (Santa Monica, CA)
    145. Los Angeles Swimming Stadium (CA)
    146. Thad Terry Pool (Tucson, AZ)
    147. U of A Student Recreation Center (Tucson, AZ)
    148. Palm Desert Aquatic Center (Palm Desert, CA)
    149. Maggie Gilbert Aquatic Center (Pacific Palisades, CA)
    150. Verdugo Aquatic Center (Burbank, CA)
    151. Concord Community Pool (Concord, CA)
    152. YMCA Aquatic Center - 50M course (Orlando, FL)
    153. Sand Hollow Aquatic Center (St. George, UT)
    154. Van Nuys-Sherman Oaks Pool (Sherman Oaks, CA)
    155. Spieker Aquatic Center (Cal - Berkeley)
    156. Hearst North Pool (Cal-Berkeley)
    157. Kitsilano Pool (Vancouver, Canada)
    158. UBC Aquatic Centre circa 2014 (Vancouver, Canada)
    159. Hillcrest Aquatic Centre (Vancouver, Canada)
    160. Canada Games Pool (New Westminster, BC, Canada)
    161. Oxnard Aquatic Center (Oxnard, CA)
    162. Fortune Select Excalibur Hotel (Gurgaon, India)
    163. London Aquatic Centre - Training Pool (London, England)
    164. London Aquatic Centre - Competition Pool (London, England
    165. Woodbridge Community Center (Woodbridge, NJ)
    166. Raritan Bay YMCA (Perth Amboy, NJ)
    167. Pleasant Valley Aquatic Center (Camarillo, CA)
    168. Phoenix Country Day School Aquatic Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    169. Alga Norte Aquatic Center (Carlsbad, CA)
    170. East Bank Club (Chicago, IL)
    171. Holiday Inn Mart Plaza (Chicago, IL)
    172. Belmont Temporary Outdoor Pool 2014 (Long Beach, CA)
    173. UIC Natatorium (Chicago, IL)
    174. Sunnyvale Swim Complex (Sunnyvale, CA)
    175. Nitro Swimming (Cedar Park, TX)
    176. Peninsula JCC (Foster City, CA)
    177. Norris Aquatic Center (Evanston, IL)
    178. Trefethen Aquatic Center (Mills College, Oakland, CA)
    179. McKinnon Indoor Pool (University of Victoria, British Columbia)
    180. Juan de Fuca Community Pool (Victoria, British Columbia)
    181. Esquimalt Recreation Centre (Victoria, British Columbia)
    182. Latoff YMCA (Des Plaines, IL)
    183. Hotel Intercontinental (Chicago, IL)
    184. Marriott Courtyard on E Hubbard (Chicago, IL) ~15 to 17 yards
    185. Residence Inn LA Live (Los Angeles, CA) 25 yards
    186. Sava Pool (San Francisco, CA) - 04/09/15
    187. Evanston High School (Evanston, IL) - 04/14/15
    188. Northside ISD Competition Pool (San Antonio, TX) - 04/24/15
    189. Northside ISD Indoor Pool (San Antonio, TX) - 04/25/15
    190. San Ramon Olympic Pool (San Ramon, CA) - 05/13/15
    191. Southwest Valley YMCA (Goodyear, AZ) - 05/24/15
    192. Peter Daland Pool @ Uytengsu Aquatic Center (Univ. of Southern California) - 06/28/15
    193. Urho Saari Swim Stadium (El Segundo, CA) - 06/29/15
    194. Del Norte High School (San Diego, CA) - 07/01/15
    195. San Clemente Aquatic Center (San Clemente, CA) - 07/01/15
    196. Westwood Community Pool (Los Angeles, CA) - 07/02/15
    197. Hawthorne Pool (Hawthorne, CA) - 07/03/15
    198. Balboa Park Pool (San Francisco, CA) - 08/13/15
    199. King Swim Center (Berkeley, CA) - 09/15/15
    200. Highlands Rec Center (San Mateo, CA) - 10/12/15
    201. North Toronto Community Centre (Canada) - 10/24/15
    202. Toronto Pan Ams Sports Complex - Training Pool - 10/25/15
    203. Etobicoke Olympium Warmup Pool (Canada) - 10/26/15
    204. Shimon & Sara Birnbaum JCC (Bridgewater, NJ) - 10/27/15
    205. LA Fitness Scottsdale - 11/26/15
    206. Scottsdale YMCA - 11/27/15
    207. Vancouver Aquatic Centre (BC, Canada) - 11/28/15
    208. La Mirada Splash (La Mirada, CA) - 12/04/15
    209. Santa Clara Marriott (Santa Clara, CA) - 12/15/15
    210. Oshman JCC Bill Heller Pool (Palo Alto, CA) - 01/06/16

Open water courses trained/competed since 2007

1. Tempe Town Lake (Tempe, AZ)
    2. Lake Pend Oreille (Sandpoint, ID)
    3. La Jolla Cove / Pacific Ocean (La Jolla, CA)
    4. Greenwich Cove (Greenwich, CT)
    5. Flathead Lake (Montana), both Somers Bay (training) & Polson Bay (competing)
    6. Saguaro Lake (Arizona)
    7. Lake Pleasant (Peoria, AZ)
    8. Atlantic Ocean - Ft. Lauderdale
    9. Elk Lake (Oregon)
    10. Canyon Lake (Arizona)
    11. Roosevelt Lake (Arizona)
    12. Castaic Lake (California)
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. Years in Numbers - 2015 Summary & 2016 Lookahead

by , January 1st, 2016 at 08:56 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    2015 Year in Review

High-level metrics for 2015:

• I was most productive when it came to adding new pools to my list - I added 38 new pools in 2015 alone. I'm sitting at 209 pools right now in the last 9 years, so my average is 23 pools per year.
      • As I've made this random goal to build this list to be 1,000 pools before I die and I figure I probably only have about 30 years (that puts me pushing 80) where I'm going to be traveling enough to add new pools, I need to be adding pools in this frequency at least over the remaining years of my professional life.

• In aggregate, I worked out in 65 different pools over the year. The top 10 pools I trained in were:

1. My pool - 128 swims
    2. Cactus - 22 swims
    3. Scottsdale JCC - 19 swims
    4. Pleasant Valley Aquatic Center (Camarillo, CA) - 12 swims
    5. Westmoor Giammona (Daly City, CA) - 9 swims
    6. Kino Aquatic Center (Mesa, AZ) - 6 swims
    7. Burlingame Aquatic Center (CA) - 6 swims
    8. McDowell Mountain Ranch (Scottsdale) - 5 swims
    9. Verdugo Aquatic Center (Burbank, CA) - 4 swims
    10. Northside Pool (San Antonio, TX) - 3 swims (each day of Nationals)

• Swam 276 days of the year, the max days I've dipped myself for a workout as I've been right about 268 days swum since 2009
    • Total yardage swim was 712K SCY-equivalents which is not horrible considering that I took three weeks completely out of the water. Below are ranking of the years

1. 2011 - 968K SCY equivalents
      2. 2012 - 901K SCY equivalents
      3. 2010 - 789K SCY equivalents
      4. 2009 - 762K SCY equivalents
      5. 2014 - 753K SCY equivalents
      6. 2015 - 712K SCY equivalents
      7. 2013 - 641K SCY equivalents
      8. 2008 - 555K SCY equivalents
      9. 2007 - 456K SCY equivalents
      10. 2001 - 426K SCY equivalents
      11. 2002 - 313K SCY equivalents
      12. 2003 - 274K SCY equivalents
      13. 2004 - 251K SCY equivalents

Note that I swam so little in 2005 and 2006 that I didn't even track it; those were the super-high-growth years of my last company and years where I was shuttling back & forth between US, Europe, India and Japan a lot.

• On the business travel front, it wasn't such a hot year as I recorded my max days of any business travel (105 vs. 101 last year) and max nights sleeping away from home (72 vs. 70 last year). I need to try to work with my CEO and my team to see if I can reverse this trend.

On the competition front, I managed to race well enough through each season and still managed to record some Masters best times:
    • SCY
      • 1000 free
      • 50 and 100 breaststroke
      • 100 back

• LCM
      • 200 breast

• SCM
      • 1500 freestyle

I'm still most happy with that 1500 time and probably had the most fun training, if you can imagine it, when I returned to my distance roots and trained for that event this fall. I think that one will end up as my sole #1 ranking this year, so I'm interested to see where that leaves me when the FINA rankings are finalized. In spite of my last two weeks of sideways training thanks to my brief illness and then finger injury, I'm looking forward to continue training for the mile through the end of Q1.

2016 Preview
    Looking ahead to this year, I envision three seasons of training and competition:

• For the SCY season, I envision two stages:
      • Through March and our AZ State meet, I'll focus on the mile. I'm hoping the event lineup at our State meet allows me to do both the 1000 and the 1650 that weekend.
      • I'll then switch my focus to whatever events I decide to swim in Greensboro. I'm still not entirely sure what that mix will be, but I know I'll be at the meet and, after this past week with my family, am pretty sure I'll get to resurrect "Brundage Swim Masters" and do some mixed relays with my sisters and my Dad.

• I think that I'll use the summer to see if I can train more long course and try to find a taper meet where I can race an 800 or 1500. I'm not sure what that meet will be.
      • I'd love to go to Nationals in Portland and the timing probably works for me to pop in for something there, but I've got my eyes on the Americas Masters Games in Vancouver (https://www.americasmastersgames2016...orts/swimming/) if that timing works well with when my oldest daughter heads back to school. It's still not clear if they're going to run the meet as a SCM or LCM meet. If it was SCM, that might be more enticing since there will be no warmup space if it's a long course meet.
      • Realistically, though, I'll probably miss both of those meets and settle for an AZ-based Masters or USAS meet as I absolutely need to preserve vacation time and budget to ensure I'm at LaJolla to do the the Daily Double (1 mile and 5K) the second weekend in September.

• Unless I have blown my shoulders out by the time the SCM season rolls around, I want to continue with a 1500 focus as I want to see if I can get my 1500 SCM well enough under 17:00 to crack the FINA Top 10 All-Time rankings before I depart the 45-49 age group. As of today, 16:56 is the 10th time.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. Boy in the Bubble

by , December 29th, 2015 at 03:56 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    I managed to log a whole 1,300 LCM on Sunday at Cactus and was feeling like the worst of my illness was behind me. I was thankful for that, especially as I had to wake up #2 and #3 daughters at 3am on Monday to make the long trek out east to hang with my parents, siblings and their families in Hilton Head for the rest of this week. While the travel day was long (thanks to me being a cheap-o father using Southwest points to get us to Atlanta and then driving the rest of the way), we were rewarded with a nearly full family reunion, something that hasn't happened since 2013.

One of the many great things about my family - and credit goes to my parents for raising us with a fitness-focus - is that everyone is still involved in some way or another in a variety of sports. We all stayed up quite late last night and slept in fairly long this morning, but then dispersed into different pods of people - some walked, some ran, some biked, some hit the weight room and my Dad, younger sister and I headed over to the Island Recreation Center around 11am for a swim in their bubble-topped pool:

I had swum here back in fall of 2009, and probably before that, but the pool has had a little bit of a makeover with new a new bottom and tiles around the edges. I also don't recall them having two big digital pace clocks. Though my picture shows the pool empty, it was hopping when we arrived and we all had to share lanes with other swimmers. I felt the best I have since I first started feeling bad and just wanted to see what I would do on my Broken Mile workout in SCY:

Warmup sets (1,500 set)

• 1 x 400: IM, kick drill
    • 4 x 100: on 1:30, free swim, descend w/snorkel (1:13, 1:11, 1:09, 1:02+)
    • 4 x 100: on 1:45, IM kick on back, descended 1:31 -> 1:27
    • 6 x 50: on 0:55, #1 and #6 easy w/snorkel, #2 to #5 strong fly/back (0:34+), back (0:35), breast (0:39), free (0:30)

Broken Mile (1,500 set / 3,050 total)

• 3 rounds of:
      • 3 x 50: on 0:45, ranged from 0:31 to 0:31++
      • 2 x 100: on 1:25, solid 1:04 to 1:04+
      • 1 x 150: on 2:05, 1:40, 1:37, 1:37

Cool down with 5 x 50 on 0:40, 0:45, 0:50, 0:55

TOTAL: 3,250 SCY

Commentary:

• I felt simultaneously so crummy from having been out of the water for so long and so happy for feeling like I can get back to training. It was a great way to start the day.
    • Keeping with the family fitness theme, we have four teams lined up for a family 4 on 4 basketball tournament later today.
    Tags: broken mile
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. Gifts for the sick swimmer

by , December 26th, 2015 at 02:02 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    It's a close call in my books as to what were the best gifts I received for Christmas with the early gift of Augmentin plus Flonase on the 23rd from my handy nurse practitioner running neck and neck with the bounty of swimming-inspirational reading materials from my family:

I was already starting to feel good enough yesterday to do an early version of our New Year's Day "Polar Bear Jump." We had to do it early because #1 has to head to her holiday training camp on Monday. My oldest daughter and I have been doing this since 2001 (when she was 4), always into our unheated pool, and my other daughters joined when they each turned 4, respectively. Though jumping in the water in Arizona doesn't sound too bad, our water temperature is almost always in the low 50s and was 52 yesterday with the air temp at 55. Here's the ~1 minute GoPro of the experience.

https://youtu.be/SmZCeajzyYc

I did feel good enough this morning to head over with #1 to the JCC for a gentle yoga class after 5 days of nothingness. Cactus is closed today, but reopens tomorrow and I plan to grace the few SCY lanes with my out-of-shape self.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. Pathetic-K

by , December 21st, 2015 at 05:23 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    I actually didn't think I felt worse today than I did yesterday until I got in the water. I had planned on doing a typical 1,500 warmup and then was going to attempt something totaling 500 with a little more than warmup-level intensity, but I only did this in LCM:
    • 4 x 100: on 1:40, free swim w/snorkel descending - started at 1:29 and got down to 1:25
    • 4 x 50: on whatever ... the intent was to see how well I could swim each stroke, but every 50 devolved into something resembling nothing like swimming

I got out, went home and crashed on the couch for 45 minutes. Never before has 1,000 meters taken so much out of me.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. Genetically unlikely to be a sprinter

by , December 17th, 2015 at 01:23 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    Awhile back, I spit in a test tube and mailed it off to 23andme to have them run my DNA. Although it took awhile, I finally got the reports back today and, for an analytics geek like me, it is a treasure trove of information and insights. I'm not going to expose my whole profile here, but I thought this analysis on traits was particularly relevant for my swimming blog:

Muscle Performance

Athletic performance can be influenced by a number of factors, some of which are genetic. Genes determine between 20-80% of the variation in traits like oxygen intake, cardiac performance, and muscle fiber composition. To date, more than 150 genes have been linked to different aspects of physical performance. One of the clearest associations is seen with a gene called ACTN3 that is normally turned on in a type of muscle fiber used for power-based sports. A single SNP can turn this gene off. While this genetic change does not cause any health effects, it may contribute to whether you are a sprinter or a marathoner.

The results were probably the least surprising for me of the entire set of data, but it validates my experience, gives me a handy excuse for when I negative split a 50 free and encourages me to keep on my re-found path of training for the mile!

Who Genotype Genetic Result
    CC Two working copies of alpha-actinin-3 in fast-twitch muscle fiber. Many world-class sprinters and some endurance athletes have this genotype.
    CT One working copy of alpha-actinin-3 in fast-twitch muscle fiber. Many world-class sprinters and some endurance athletes have this genotype.
    Patrick Brundage TT No working copies of alpha-actinin-3 in fast-twitch muscle fiber. Few world-class sprinters have this genotype, but many world-class endurance athletes do.
    As for today, I hit the hay a little before 9pm last night and had a fitful 10 hours of sleep. I don't feel much better than yesterday, but also don't feel worse. I did my 20 minute hotel room yoga and then following lame-oh dryland work:
    • 10 pushups
    • 10 squats
    • 25 crunches
    • 30 seconds downward dog
    • 10 squats
    • 30 seconds plank
    • 10 pushups
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. Sickly pleasant 2K

by , December 16th, 2015 at 09:44 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    I think my most oft-repeated brag is that I never get sick. I follow that up with my recipe for a lifetime of health: near-daily immersion in those lovely chlorine baths we call swimming pools. While I know that is not true, I really, rarely get sick. When I do get sick, it's usually just a head cold that goes away in a few days.

I awoke this morning with my head pretty full of gunk, my throat scratchy and my nose running. Throughout my 20 minute hotel room yoga session, the thoughts running through my head were not "Om," but more along the lines of, "What's this weird stuff going on in my head?" and "Was that sushi burrito from the San Jose airport maybe not the right choice for dinner?"

I was really puzzling with what was going on until I took my first flip turn at the Pleasant Valley Aquatic Center and felt the pressure bearing down on me that I finally clued in that maybe I'm coming down with something. If I am, it does make sense: on those rare occasions when I do get a tad under the weather, it is almost always in the aftermath of a big push at work or in the pool. My body generally seems to do a good job of holding itself together through whatever big event is going on in my life and then, when the relaxation period comes after that, it lets itself go.

Though I really wasn't intending to push anything hard on my 2K swim today ...
    • 1 x 400: IM, kick-drill
    • 12 x 100: on 1:20, free descend in sets of 4, 1st round w/buoy & snorkel, 2nd round w/snorkel, 3rd round swim
    • 3 x 100: on 1:45, IM kick w/board, descend
    • 1 x 100: scull with snorkel

... I also didn't expect to have such a hard time descending in YARDS from 1:13 to barely sub 1:10 on those 100s. In retrospect, because I didn't really admit to myself until an hour after the swim that I might be getting sick, these results made sense.

Fortunately, I don't have a late night tonight and my first meeting is not until 9am tomorrow. I'm going to try to get to sleep early (thank you very much, Mr. Nyquil) and then not set an alarm until 7:30am. If I happen to wake up on my own early enough to grab a swim, that will be a bonus. If I don't, then my body clearly needed the rest more.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. Santa Clara 1K

by , December 15th, 2015 at 11:42 AM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    I flew into San Jose late last night and got started on my post-season recovery week with an easy 1,000 SCY at this surprisingly regulation length 25 yard pool at the Santa Clara Marriott:

My goal this week is just to do five workouts, going 1K, 2K, 3K, 4K, 5K, with the last one done this weekend at Cactus when they switch to Long Course for the entire holiday season. I also did a quick round of hotel drylands before I jumped into the pool -
    • 10 pushups
    • 10 squats
    • 25 crunches
    • 30 seconds plank
    • 30 second downward dog
    • 10 squats
    • 10 pushups

For the millionth time in my Masters swimming career, I'm going to say I'm going to commit to maintaining some semblance of a strength program. Thinking back to when I swam really well in my shorter distance freestyles in the '09-'10 timeframe, while I did have the aid of the bodysuits, the biggest difference in my training was that I was pretty consistent about lifting, doing core work and yoga. As my mind is more firmly focused on 2017 when I age up rather than next year, this should be a very good, long timeframe in which to focus on that.

=====================================
    Pools I've trained and/or competed in since 2007

1. Cactus Aquatic Center (Scottsdale, AZ)
    2. Brophy Sports Campus (Phoenix, AZ)
    3. Lifetime Fitness (Scottsdale, AZ)
    4. Lifetime Fitness (Skokie, IL)
    5. Lifetime Fitness (Austin, TX)
    6. Somerville YMCA (Somerville, NJ)
    7. Raritan Valley Community College (Branchburg, NJ)
    8. IUPUI Natatorium (Indianapolis, IN)
    9. UT Swim Center (Austin, TX)
    10. U of Arizona Hillebrand Swim Center (Tucson, AZ)
    11. Talisman Centre Competition Pool (Calgary, Alberta)
    12. U of Lethbridge Max Bell Swim Centre (Lethbridge, Alberta)
    13. Crystal Pool (Victoria, British Columbia)
    14. Oaks Christian School (Westlake Village, CA)
    15. Lifetime Fitness (Berkeley Heights, NJ)
    16. Jewish Community Center (Scottsdale, AZ)
    17. McDowell Mountain Ranch Aquatic Center (Scottsdale, AZ)
    18. Desert Breeze Pool (Las Vegas, NV)
    19. The Olympic Club (San Francisco)
    20. Janet Evans Sports Complex (Fullerton, CA)
    21. Woollett Aquatic Center / Irvine High School (Irvine, CA)
    22. Bruce Hazard Pool @ Mission Valley YMCA (San Diego)
    23. UCSD Canyonview Pool (San Diego)
    24. Villanova University (Philadelphia, PA)
    25. Kino Aquatic Center (Mesa, AZ)
    26. Hilton Head Island Rec Center (Hilton Head, SC)
    27. YMCA Aquatic Center - 25M Diving Tank course (Orlando, FL)
    28. Westin Sohna-Gurgaon (India)
    29. Reading Central Pool (Reading, England)
    30. Optimist Park (Raleigh, NC)
    31. Pullen Aquatic Center (Raleigh, NC)
    32. NOVA Aquatics Center shallow pool (Richmond, VA)
    33. Lifetime Fitness (Cary, NC)
    34. Philadelphia Airport Marriott
    35. Berkeley Aquatic Club (Berkeley Heights, NJ)
    36. Chatham County Aquatic Center (Savannah, GA)
    37. Lifetime Fitness (Tempe, AZ)
    38. Clarke Swim Center 25 SCY course (Walnut Creek, CA)
    39. Holy Names University (Oakland, CA w/Manatee Masters)
    40. B.A.D.A.S.S. Pool (Scottsdale, AZ)
    41. Summit YMCA (Summit, NJ)
    42. George Washington Rec Center (Alexandria, VA)
    43. ACAC -- old 50M pool (Midlothian, VA)
    44. Centennial Indoor Pool (Cranford, NJ)
    45. Mission Viejo Dive Tank pool (Mission Viejo, CA)
    46. Mesa Carson Westwood Aquatic Complex (Mesa, AZ)
    47. Lifetime Fitness (Goodyear, AZ)
    48. Victoria YMCA (Victoria, BC)
    49. Issaquah Julius Boehm Pool (Issaquah, WA)
    50. Charles Hadley Pool (Miami, FL)
    51. Pompano Beach Aquatic Center (FL)
    52. Culver City Municipal Plunge (CA)
    53. Stanford Avery Aquatic Center - Baker Pool (Palo Alto, CA)
    54. Tualatin Hills Aquatic Center (Beaverton, OR)
    55. Mt Hood Aquatic Center (Gresham, OR)
    56. Juniper Swim & Fitness Center (Bend, Or)
    57. George Haines International Swim Center (Santa Clara, CA)
    58. Renaissance Club Sport (Aliso Viejo, CA)
    59. Rengstorff Pool (Mountain View, CA)
    60. Coronado Municipal Pool (Coronado, CA)
    61. Eagle Park (Mountain View, CA)
    62. James City / Williamsburg Community Center (Williamsburg, VA)
    63. NOVA Aquatics Center deep pool (Richmond, VA)
    64. Belmont Plaza outdoor pool (Long Beach, CA)
    65. Laguna Beach HS Pool (CA)
    66. Lifetime Fitness (Florham Park, NJ)
    67. USF Koret Aquatic Center (San Fran)
    68. Lifetime Athletic (Vernon Hills, IL)
    69. Stanford Avery Aquatic Center - Bellardi Pool (Palo Alto, CA)
    70. Fremont Hills Country Club (Los Altos Hills, CA)
    71. Rinconada Pool (Palo Alto, CA)
    72. Burlingame Aquatic Center (Burlingame, CA)
    73. Medgar Evers Pool (Seattle, WA)
    74. McGill Memorial Pool (Montreal, QC)
    75. Montreal Downtown YMCA (Montreal, QC)
    76. College of San Mateo (CA)
    77. Greensboro Aquatic Center (NC)
    78. Josh Davis Natatorium (San Antonio, TX)
    79. Bill Walker Pool (San Antonio, TX)
    80. JCC of San Diego
    81. 2012 Olympic Trials Pool (Omaha)
    82. El Pomar Natatorium (University of Denver)
    83. Mt Lebanon Swim Center (PA)
    84. Fritz Sick Memorial Pool (Lethbridge, Alberta)
    85. University of Calgary Aquatic Centre (Alberta)
    86. Kinsmen Aquatic Centre (Edmonton, Alberta)
    87. Eau Claire YMCA (Calgary, Alberta)
    88. Talisman Centre Training Pool (Calgary, Alberta)
    89. Burgess Memorial Pool (Menlo Park, CA)
    90. Kona Kai Resort (San Diego, CA)
    91. Sierra Recreation Center (Mission Viejo, CA)
    92. ACAC -- new (2012) 25M pool (Midlothian, VA)
    93. Greater Richmond Aquatic Partnership / 2008 Olympic Trials Pool (Richmond, VA)
    94. Golden Bear Pool (Berkeley, CA)
    95. Cal Lutheran University Community Pool (Thousand Oaks, CA)
    96. North Beach Pool (San Francisco, CA)
    97. Calgary Winter Club (Calgary, Canada)
    98. Orange Memorial Pool (South San Francisco, CA)
    99. Hamilton Pool (San Francisco, CA)
    100. Jean Brink / Oceana Pool (Pacifica, CA)
    101. City of Calabasas Tennis & Swim Center (Calabasas, CA)
    102. Oro Valley Aquatic Center (Oro Valley, AZ)
    103. Ventura Aquatic Center (CA)
    104. Claremont Resort (Berkeley, CA)
    105. Plantation Aquatic Center (Plantation, FL)
    106. Hyatt Regency Coconut Point (Bonita Springs, FL)
    107. Florida Gulf Coast University Aquatic Center (Fort Meyers, FL)
    108. Club One Union Square (San Francisco, CA)
    109. Mecklenburg County Aquatic Center (Charlotte, NC)
    110. Sunset Canyon Recreation Center LCM pool (UCLA)
    111. Chickahominy YMCA (Sandston, VA)
    112. Soda Aquatic Center (Moraga, CA)
    113. Salt Lake City/Steiner Aquatic Center (Utah)
    114. Splash Montana "The Lake" Pool (Missoula, MT)
    115. Grizzly Pool / U of Montana (Missoula, MT)
    116. Daland Swim School (1000 Oaks, CA)
    117. Rancho Simi Community Pool (Simi Valley, CA)
    118. Brisbane Community Swim Center (Brisbane, CA)
    119. Cal Lutheran University Samuelson Aquatic Center (Thousand Oaks, CA)
    120. ASU Mona Plummer (Tempe, AZ)
    121. Rutger's Sonny Werblin (Piscataway, NJ)
    122. Mission Viejo Nadadores (Mission Viejo, CA)
    123. Phoenix Swim Club (Phoenix, AZ)
    124. Clovis North High School (Fresno, CA)
    125. YMCA Aquatic Center (Orlando, FL)
    126. Georgia Tech Aquatic Center (Atlanta, GA)
    127. Saanich Commonwealth Place (Victoria, BC)
    128. Glendale Foothills Aquatic Center (Glendale, AZ)
    129. Greensboro Aquatic Center (NC)
    130. UC-Irvine Crawford Pool (Irvine, CA)
    131. 2012 Olympic Trials Pool (Omaha)
    132. Clarke Swim Center 25M pool (Walnut Creek, CA)
    133. Santa Clarita Aquatic Center (Santa Clarita, CA)
    134. Wall Aquatic Center (Northern Arizona University, Flagstaff, AZ)
    135. Sedona Community Pool (Sedona, AZ)
    136. Chinatown YMCA (New York, NY)
    137. Westmoor Giammona Pool (Daly City, CA)
    138. El Dorado Aquatic Center (Scottsdale, AZ)
    139. Desert Foothills Family YMCA (Carefree/Scottsdale, AZ)
    140. UCLA Student Activities Center Pool (Los Angeles, CA)
    141. Brenda Villa Aquatic Center (Commerce, CA)
    142. Vanderbilt YMCA East Pool (Manhattan)
    143. USC Physical Education Department Indoor Pool (Los Angeles, CA)
    144. Santa Monica Swim Center (Santa Monica, CA)
    145. Los Angeles Swimming Stadium (CA)
    146. Thad Terry Pool (Tucson, AZ)
    147. U of A Student Recreation Center (Tucson, AZ)
    148. Palm Desert Aquatic Center (Palm Desert, CA)
    149. Maggie Gilbert Aquatic Center (Pacific Palisades, CA)
    150. Verdugo Aquatic Center (Burbank, CA)
    151. Concord Community Pool (Concord, CA)
    152. YMCA Aquatic Center - 50M course (Orlando, FL)
    153. Sand Hollow Aquatic Center (St. George, UT)
    154. Van Nuys-Sherman Oaks Pool (Sherman Oaks, CA)
    155. Spieker Aquatic Center (Cal - Berkeley)
    156. Hearst North Pool (Cal-Berkeley)
    157. Kitsilano Pool (Vancouver, Canada)
    158. UBC Aquatic Centre circa 2014 (Vancouver, Canada)
    159. Hillcrest Aquatic Centre (Vancouver, Canada)
    160. Canada Games Pool (New Westminster, BC, Canada)
    161. Oxnard Aquatic Center (Oxnard, CA)
    162. Fortune Select Excalibur Hotel (Gurgaon, India)
    163. London Aquatic Centre - Training Pool (London, England)
    164. London Aquatic Centre - Competition Pool (London, England
    165. Woodbridge Community Center (Woodbridge, NJ)
    166. Raritan Bay YMCA (Perth Amboy, NJ)
    167. Pleasant Valley Aquatic Center (Camarillo, CA)
    168. Phoenix Country Day School Aquatic Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    169. Alga Norte Aquatic Center (Carlsbad, CA)
    170. East Bank Club (Chicago, IL)
    171. Holiday Inn Mart Plaza (Chicago, IL)
    172. Belmont Temporary Outdoor Pool 2014 (Long Beach, CA)
    173. UIC Natatorium (Chicago, IL)
    174. Sunnyvale Swim Complex (Sunnyvale, CA)
    175. Nitro Swimming (Cedar Park, TX)
    176. Peninsula JCC (Foster City, CA)
    177. Norris Aquatic Center (Evanston, IL)
    178. Trefethen Aquatic Center (Mills College, Oakland, CA)
    179. McKinnon Indoor Pool (University of Victoria, British Columbia)
    180. Juan de Fuca Community Pool (Victoria, British Columbia)
    181. Esquimalt Recreation Centre (Victoria, British Columbia)
    182. Latoff YMCA (Des Plaines, IL)
    183. Hotel Intercontinental (Chicago, IL)
    184. Marriott Courtyard on E Hubbard (Chicago, IL) ~15 to 17 yards
    185. Residence Inn LA Live (Los Angeles, CA) 25 yards
    186. Sava Pool (San Francisco, CA) - 04/09/15
    187. Evanston High School (Evanston, IL) - 04/14/15
    188. Northside ISD Competition Pool (San Antonio, TX) - 04/24/15
    189. Northside ISD Indoor Pool (San Antonio, TX) - 04/25/15
    190. San Ramon Olympic Pool (San Ramon, CA) - 05/13/15
    191. Southwest Valley YMCA (Goodyear, AZ) - 05/24/15
    192. Peter Daland Pool @ Uytengsu Aquatic Center (Univ. of Southern California) - 06/28/15
    193. Urho Saari Swim Stadium (El Segundo, CA) - 06/29/15
    194. Del Norte High School (San Diego, CA) - 07/01/15
    195. San Clemente Aquatic Center (San Clemente, CA) - 07/01/15
    196. Westwood Community Pool (Los Angeles, CA) - 07/02/15
    197. Hawthorne Pool (Hawthorne, CA) - 07/03/15
    198. Balboa Park Pool (San Francisco, CA) - 08/13/15
    199. King Swim Center (Berkeley, CA) - 09/15/15
    200. Highlands Rec Center (San Mateo, CA) - 10/12/15
    201. North Toronto Community Centre (Canada) - 10/24/15
    202. Toronto Pan Ams Sports Complex - Training Pool - 10/25/15
    203. Etobicoke Olympium Warmup Pool (Canada) - 10/26/15
    204. Shimon & Sara Birnbaum JCC (Bridgewater, NJ) - 10/27/15
    205. LA Fitness Scottsdale - 11/26/15
    206. Scottsdale YMCA - 11/27/15
    207. Vancouver Aquatic Centre (BC, Canada) - 11/28/15
    208. La Mirada Splash (La Mirada, CA) - 12/04/15
    209. Santa Clara Marriott (Santa Clara, CA) - 12/15/15

Open water courses trained/competed since 2007

1. Tempe Town Lake (Tempe, AZ)
    2. Lake Pend Oreille (Sandpoint, ID)
    3. La Jolla Cove / Pacific Ocean (La Jolla, CA)
    4. Greenwich Cove (Greenwich, CT)
    5. Flathead Lake (Montana), both Somers Bay (training) & Polson Bay (competing)
    6. Saguaro Lake (Arizona)
    7. Lake Pleasant (Peoria, AZ)
    8. Atlantic Ocean - Ft. Lauderdale
    9. Elk Lake (Oregon)
    10. Canyon Lake (Arizona)
    11. Roosevelt Lake (Arizona)
    12. Castaic Lake (California)
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. Unofficial new 400 kick PR

by , December 12th, 2015 at 04:12 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    The last two years I have gotten a daughter of mine to time me so that I could do the MEMO 400 kick postal event (https://www.clubassistant.com/club/c...1983&cid=66848) and have gotten better each year ...
    • 12-15-13 - 5:46.34
    • 12-06-14 - 5:38.25

As I've been resting this week and couldn't make it down to race either last night or this morning at the MESA SCY meet, I decided to head over to MMR after my daughter's basketball game (which they won ) and have a run at it. I couldn't, however, convince either her or my wife to time me, so this won't count for an entry time since I timed myself with a Timex on my wrist. Moreover, I missed hitting the stop hard enough, but I was 5:30+. I used the same kick mix as last year (http://forums.usms.org/entry.php?346...tal-kicking-PR) - twice through 50 dolphin and 100 flutter with a 25 dolphin - 75 flutter mix to finish the last 100. I was pretty happy with this, but hope that I can convince #1 daughter to race this with me next weekend when she's back home and #3 daughter to time us for official times.

It does look like I'll make it down tomorrow morning to race the 200 free and 400 IM at the Mesa Speedo Invite (https://www.teamunify.com/azmac/__ev...r%20Invite.pdf). I'm going to try to to see what I can put up in the 200 with a controlled race strategy and then I'd like to see if I can get under 4:25 in the 400 IM, as my 4:55.5 from SCM converts to 4:25-high/4:26-low.

Other than that, I've had a great time catching the webstream of the Duel in the Pool today, as well as a few events in last night's session.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. Pain-inspired morning wear

by , December 8th, 2015 at 03:47 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    I am not sure why I felt so bad, tired and just piss-poor in the Westmoor Giammona pool this morning as this is a facility where, almost without fail, I have great workouts. Today was not so:

• Standard meet warmup of 1,250
    • 3 rounds on 3:00 of 100-50
      • 100 supposed to be strong, but at 500 effort pace and feel, aiming for 57+, but never got under 1:00
      • 50s easy

• 2 rounds of 3 x 50 on 1:00
      • 1st 50 of each round fast stroke - back (0:30+) and breast (0:35+)
      • next two 50s were easy

TOTAL: 2,000 SCY

Comments:

• Just chalk that one up to taper blues and blahs as I had a great night of sleep, if a bit shorter than optimal.
    • #3's first basketball of her season (and, in this case, her life) changed this Saturday from an afternoon game to a morning game. That will definitely mean I miss the 100 free at the meet Saturday, but there's still a possibility of me making it down to Mesa for the 500.
    • However, based upon how my freestyle felt this morning, I suspect I should just blow off Saturday and then show up to race the 400 IM on Sunday, with the 50 thrown in as a warmup race.
    Tags: meetminus4
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. Pajama-inspired daywear

by , December 7th, 2015 at 08:06 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    I was lounging around on Saturday morning, determined to bask in the warm glow of my season's goals accomplished, perusing the Wall Street Journal's weekend magazine supplement and came across the phrase "pajama-inspired daywear" to evidently describe the new, uber-relaxed clothes the fashionistas think we'll be donning in 2016. While I've been way ahead of that fashion trend ever since I started predominantly working from home in 2002 (when not traveling to clients), I found it a good theme for the training I intend to do this next week as I attempt to extend my taper into this meet next weekend - https://www.teamunify.com/EventShow....894&team=azmac - that Paul Smith has dually sanctioned. I won't be able to make it for the distance night on Friday, but have entered the following:
    • Saturday
      • 100 free
      • 500 free

• Sunday
      • 200 free
      • 50 free
      • 400 IM

I'm still not 100% committed, in my mind, to swimming anything other than the 100 free, 50 free and 400 IM. Factors weighing in my decision of what to swim include:
    • Weather - if it's too cold, I probably won't stick around for multiple events in any day
    • Timeline - there might be conflicts with other commitments
    • Motivation to swim a semi-fresh 400 IM will almost for sure mean I don't swim the 200 free

I think my strategy will be to show up for the 100 and then keep every other event optional until the 400 IM.

After taking Saturday off, I did this on Sunday:
    • Basic meet warmup (1,250)
      • 12 x 50: done as
        • 4 descend free w/snorkel on 0:45
        • 4 kick descend on back going 25 dolphin - 25 breast on 1:00
        • 3 steady (aim for 29s) on 0:40, free swim
        • 1 easy on 1:00

• 8 x 25: on 0:30, odds easy, evens fast IM order
      • 1 x 50: easy w/snorkel

• 400 IM pace 50s
      • 8 x 50: on 1:00, trying to hold target 400 IM pace (e.g., 0:30, 0:31+, 0:36, 0:29), which I mostly did

• Cooled-down 4 x 50 active recovery

Today's workout was a little longer
    • Standard meet warmup of 1,250
    • 4 rounds on 3:00 of 100-50
      • 100 supposed to be strong, but at 500 effort pace and feel, aiming for 57+, but was 0:59, 0:59, 0:58+, 0:59
      • 50s easy

• 3 rounds of 3 x 50 on 1:00
      • 1st 50 of each round fast stroke (no free), but was kind of slow at 0:29+++, 0:31, 0:36+
      • next two 50s were easy

I think for the rest of this week, I'm just going to take today's workout and pare down the fast efforts.

Whatever happens this weekend will be just fine in terms of results. I'd like to feel interested enough to race both the 500 and 400 IM and see what kind of times I can produce, but, if I can't, it's no big deal. I'm pretty stoked with how my season focus on the 1500 worked out and really using this week as an interlude before I return back to focus on some more distance training for the SCY season!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast