Blog Comments

Nice swimming! Sounds like you are making major progress.
    Nice racing and great report. Makes me wanna race.
    Unless I am mistaken that 4IM moves you to the top of the event rankings for this season. Of course a couple of big meets remain before the season closes so there is still time for folks to take a crack at knocking you off the top spot. In recent years usually one or two guys have dipped under 5.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    any Vodka involved?
    I'm a teetotaler these days!
    any Vodka involved?
    Quote Originally Posted by flystorms
    Nice job. It's tough getting back to it, but having the feeling of going to the max helps, I'm sure. Keep at it and you'll be back!
    Thanks, Kari. We all go through this as Masters swimmers when life or injuries get in the way, but it gets more and more humbling/challenging to 'come back' as I get older and older. I appreciate the support!
    Nice job. It's tough getting back to it, but having the feeling of going to the max helps, I'm sure. Keep at it and you'll be back!
    I've missed seeing your blog regularly. Glad to see you back.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    So you didn't get to swim in Scranton? While there are some pretty good lakes for open-water swims, most of the pools in that area are just ok...at best.
    I attended a meet at the CYC on Scranton several years back and was favorably impressed with the pool. 'don't know if there are open swim times there.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    So you didn't get to swim in Scranton? While there are some pretty good lakes for open-water swims, most of the pools in that area are just ok...at best.
    In the end, I couldn't make the airfares work to fly into Scranton. In addition, we ended up bringing in our leadership team from our India office, so I ferried some of them between Newark and the resort.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    ... If all goes as planned, I'll be able to be back Thursday evening for the Berkeley Masters 8pm workout (https://www.teamunify.com/SubTabGene..._stabid_=63739).
    That's a sweet new pool at BAC. My daughter has raced there. The roof leaks on the spectators during a rain storm though
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    Where is PA? PA is a big place. (well ok. not by AK or TX standards, but it does take a big chunk of the day to drive from one side to the other) There are some pools open at 9 in my neck of the woods.
    Unfortunately, we're at a resort (of sorts) in the Poconos. I was there last year (http://forums.usms.org/entry.php?397...in-the-Poconos) and they have a ~20 yard pool, but it is not setup for training. I will stay near Newark tonight and should be able to swim tomorrow morning at a JCC before I have to leave for PA. If all goes as planned, I'll be able to be back Thursday evening for the Berkeley Masters 8pm workout (https://www.teamunify.com/SubTabGene..._stabid_=63739).
    I have to be in the backwoods of Pennsylvania this week for an offsite corporate meeting
    Where is PA? PA is a big place. (well ok. not by AK or TX standards, but it does take a big chunk of the day to drive from one side to the other) There are some pools open at 9 in my neck of the woods.
    That's so great. I hope she has a blast!
    She did. We've been really good, I think, "swim parents" (at least with #3) and are completely letting her choose the path she wants to be on. She started back swimming in the spring, but with a training group that had no competition requirements. About a month ago, she said she wanted to 'step up' to the next level and she knew that meant competing. It was fun to watch her race again and she seemed to have fun doing so. For an admitted Type A personality, I think I'm doing a great job of just going with HER flow and supporting what she wants to do.
    #3 daughter came out of her swimming retirement, racing again for the first time in about 3 years.
    That's so great. I hope she has a blast!
    50 breast - 0:40
    100 IM - 1:19+
    200 IM - 2:49
    50 free - 0:31
    400 IM - 5:43
    Interesting results.
    First, going a 5:43 400 sounds quite good given a 2:49 200. Your endurance may not have suffered too terribly. 2:49 200 seems just about right given a 1:19 100.
    Second, despite great historical proclamations to the contrary, NOT all men are created equal. Several months rehabbing and not swimming, then a few months training only 10k/week and you throw down a 4IM time I could not touch in top form. 'good luck keeping the train-ing going in the right direction.
    That's great to hear, but don't speak too loudly and jinx it!
    A big reason for my increased motivation is that my shoulder feels super-fine
    That's great to hear, but don't speak too loudly and jinx it!
    Gotta restart somewhere!
    So glad you ended up swimming the meet. Congrats on no pain. That's a big deal.