Blog Comments

I hope your shoulder gets better.

RE: one of your earlier posts...you only need 10 years of sobriety, not 30. Your first 20 years of not drinking counts toward your total!
    The NJ LMSC's "Last Chance SCY" meet will be in that pool on 5/21 in case for some reason you need to come back. its about 90 min. from me and I'm undecided at this point.
    Great job Patrick. You are showing admirable restraint and I have a feeling it's going to pay off for you in the long run.
    I think I swam at both those pools last year. It always surprises me that there are not more programs in the Orlando area as well.

So glad you are on the road to recovery Patrick. Maybe we will get a chance to race next year when we are both back to full fitness. Maybe we can talk mark into finally doing the 500/400 and the three of us can race.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    there are very few organized masters team practices in Orlando I've found. at least in the morning. I think the most regular group is a lunch time one at the Swim Center.
    Yeah, I agree. If I wasn't focused on going to new pools, though, I'd be happy with the main YMCA Aquatic Center since they have such generous lap swimming times and lanes. Also, right now, I'm not a good candidate for joining Masters workouts as I should be doing more drill and kicking than I did this morning. Still, Sara, who coaches SLAP, was GREAT.
    there are very few organized masters team practices in Orlando I've found. at least in the morning. I think the most regular group is a lunch time one at the Swim Center.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    ... though I am NOT glad to see you working on your breaststroke!
    I think that's going to be my primary focus for the rest of 2017, but primarily for shoulder health ... and for hopefully an age-adjusted-Licon-like IM in 2018!
    Glad to hear things are looking up though I am NOT glad to see you working on your breaststroke!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nichollsvi
    Agree, have some good people I know from India. Lovely country! The food in the South is better than the North. LOL.

Did you celebrate Holi when you were there?
    I love India, as well. Most of my time has been spent in the north, but I have been to Goa, Pune and Chennai. Of those, Pune remains my favorite: a bit of elevation, a little hilly, lots of trees, a tad less chaotic!

I left this year before Holi, but accidentally was there during Holi back in 2004. I knew nothing of that celebration and my family and I had arrived the night before the actual celebration day. We woke up all bleary eyed from the flights and proceeded to get showered in color as soon as we walked out of our hotel. It was actually an awesome welcome to India and a very fun day.
    Quote Originally Posted by flystorms
    This sounds like you had a fantastic trip! It's great that you were able to spend so much time over there, enough to acclimate to the local times and adjust accordingly. How awesome is it that you were able to do a Habitat project as well.

Great job on the sobriety. It's not easy, but it does pay off well, doesn't it. Congratulations. Just knocking it off for a big race was eye opening. I don't drink much or very often, but it seems like now, it's much more potent. LOL!

Keep up the great work!
    -Kari
    Thanks, Kari! On the alcohol side, I had just gotten in the habit of a drink or two every night with dinner; more on the occasional night out with friends or family. As I've gotten older, I noticed more and more effects.

The next vice to tackle is going to be much harder: sugar!
    Agree, have some good people I know from India. Lovely country! The food in the South is better than the North. LOL.

Did you celebrate Holi when you were there?

Most of all cheering you on off the drink. Getting older it is just going to put the weight on. Swim fast!
    This sounds like you had a fantastic trip! It's great that you were able to spend so much time over there, enough to acclimate to the local times and adjust accordingly. How awesome is it that you were able to do a Habitat project as well.

Great job on the sobriety. It's not easy, but it does pay off well, doesn't it. Congratulations. Just knocking it off for a big race was eye opening. I don't drink much or very often, but it seems like now, it's much more potent. LOL!

Keep up the great work!
    -Kari
    Great news Patrick!
    I can relate Patrick. Years ago, I had shoulder surgery. I had to stay dry for a few months for rehab. When I was given the green light to get in the water and start kicking, my attitude swung 180 degrees to the positive.

I hope your recovery goes well. I miss reading about your pool visits and practices.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    I know exactly how you feel. Back when I was mega-running and injured, my entire outlook changed the day the PT said, "how about you go on the treadmill?" I remember asking, "are you sure?"

Hope you're able to get wet at least somewhat regularly, and hopefully begin to build back.
    I am glad you can relate (well, not glad you had to get injured so you can relate). I think the plan is to go slooooowly in the pool and very gradually increase.
    It felt glorious to be in the pool and there was no pain during or after. I'll go to PT tomorrow and see what's next from here.

The funny thing is that I've been in a FANTASTIC MOOD the entire day since I swam. I know it was next to nothing that I did, but my mood has been off the charts. Even my sometimes surly teenager noticed tonight when I was picking her up from her workout. She took the time to actually look up from her cell phone and say, "Dad, why are you so happy?"
    I know exactly how you feel. Back when I was mega-running and injured, my entire outlook changed the day the PT said, "how about you go on the treadmill?" I remember asking, "are you sure?"

Hope you're able to get wet at least somewhat regularly, and hopefully begin to build back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Dickson
    The pool looks way better than what you have to do on that table. Good luck with your rehab. See you around my friend.
    Thanks, Kurt! I'm in good hands with my PT and on the right road, I think.
    The pool looks way better than what you have to do on that table. Good luck with your rehab. See you around my friend.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    We can't get anything like their old pool in our area. Great Pics.
    Hijacking pwb's blog,... is Phoenixville going to get that indoor LCM facility?
    We can't get anything like their old pool in our area. Great Pics.