Blog Comments

Karl, It definitely is. I'm hoping that Masters Swimming Canada puts on a Nationals there in the near future.
    'saw that on Swimswam and was wondering when you would get there. 'looks like a sweet complex.
    Here is a great new pool for you to add to your list this year:
    https://swimswam.com/ubc-begins-trai...quatic-centre/
    I suppose your daughter has already broken it in for you.
    if you like spinning, another option would be zwift. it is virtual online cycling program. you just hook up your bike to trainer, connect sensors (speed and cadence) and meet up with other cyclists online for virtual races or just group rides. It is very motivating and addictive.

BTW, I swam for many years and with different coaches and your swim program is one that I enjoyed the most (I was following it for only last few months). I modified it a bit to fit my preparation for triathlon and 100 FLY race in upcoming nationals (yes weird combination ) but the general workout setup is perfect. It is very motivating especially considering that I do all my workouts by myself. I really hope you will resume your position as online Stroke/IM coach next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    The doc suggested that, if the rehab + gently getting back into it doesn't produce pain-free swimming, my next step would be cortisone shot. I gather PRP is then a step beyond *way beyond?* cortisone?

You've got a much more serious injury than me, but, really, it was reading about you and Stewart each battling through pain, but then committing to therapy plus a period of rest that convinced me that I should finally take my shoulder seriously. I hope to see you in Indy!
    I don't think I even need to go to PT. :-) I have full mobility of the arm; it's the veins that remain the concern.

You don't want a cortisone shot for a partial tear or tendonosis. It won't help except maybe in the short term, and can degrade tendons further. PRP is completely different. You're injecting growth platelets spun from your own blood to promote healing. You could go right to stem cells for the bicep tendonosis.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Hope the rehab goes well Patrick! Consider PRP for that partial tear to speed things along.
    The doc suggested that, if the rehab + gently getting back into it doesn't produce pain-free swimming, my next step would be cortisone shot. I gather PRP is then a step beyond *way beyond?* cortisone?

Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I am eyeing Indy 2018 as well (assuming I get the go ahead to swim eventually).
    You've got a much more serious injury than me, but, really, it was reading about you and Stewart each battling through pain, but then committing to therapy plus a period of rest that convinced me that I should finally take my shoulder seriously. I hope to see you in Indy!
    Quote Originally Posted by flystorms
    I sure hope your rehab goes well and that's all you need. So much better than surgery.

You have such a great attitude on what the goals are for the year and beyond, good for you. It's so hard, as athletes, to back off and not plow through further injuring the problem area.
    Thanks for this. I think I've been plowing through this for a few years now, so, yes, it is hard to back off ... but I am committed to backing off!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sojerz
    Patrick, you might think about spinning at a gym, either on your own or in a class. I've liked the classes cause there's more enthusiasm with a group and an instructor. There 's no shoulder rotation involved and its a great workout for cardio and legs. It just requires shorts, water bottle, towel, and if you don't want to use the basket peddles w/sneakers, an inexpensive pair of clip-in shoes.

Enjoyed the 2016 year summary. Hopefully you will be breaking some of my 90-94 AG records.
    Spinning - that is a great reminder. I have done some spinning classes before and I did enjoy them. I don't know why I didn't think of that! In fact, I have just looked up and will do one on Saturday!
    Hope the rehab goes well Patrick! Consider PRP for that partial tear to speed things along. I've had a couple partial tears in the labrum as well. They do heal if you rest and baby them. I am eyeing Indy 2018 as well (assuming I get the go ahead to swim eventually). Working hard + rehab just seems to part of masters sports ... Happy New Year!
    I sure hope your rehab goes well and that's all you need. So much better than surgery.

You have such a great attitude on what the goals are for the year and beyond, good for you. It's so hard, as athletes, to back off and not plow through further injuring the problem area.

On a side note, years ago, my gym had a treadmill class very much like a spin class. It was a mix of hills and interval work that turned into a killer workout. It was a lot of fun. Knowing swimming interval training, maybe you can play with speed/distance/hill work to make it something more than drudgework.

Good luck!
    Patrick, you might think about spinning at a gym, either on your own or in a class. I've liked the classes cause there's more enthusiasm with a group and an instructor. There 's no shoulder rotation involved and its a great workout for cardio and legs. It just requires shorts, water bottle, towel, and if you don't want to use the basket peddles w/sneakers, an inexpensive pair of clip-in shoes.

Enjoyed the 2016 year summary. Hopefully you will be breaking some of my 90-94 AG records.
    sorry young man about your issues.
    i dont have any spare parts from mine to give or i would.
    however, i can go shopping at lowe's/homedepot with you and show you what you need.

ice ice baby...and ibuprophine till it kills your liver and then finally surgary
    Quote Originally Posted by scyfreestyler
    Geez, three of USMS's most followed bloggers injured at the same time.
    Actually, reading about each of Leslie and Stewart seeking and getting treatment finally put me over the edge and convinced me to get the MRI. Thanks for the well-wishes.
    Glad you're getting this looked at and hope you can get it all resolved fairly quickly.

I think you know Lindsey who swims down at Kino? You should talk to her... She's had at least 1 shoulder surgery, and she does all kinds of PT to keep both shoulders in check (and she's younger than you are too). If you're not connected to her on FB, look at my friends there.
    Good luck Patrick!
    Somebody once told me that we have the universal laws of gravity and entropy working against us as we age - pretty tough competition.

Hope the appointment on the 3rd goes well and you're able to rest and recover your way through with time.

Take care and enjoy your holidays and new year - great to have your family around.
    Geez, three of USMS's most followed bloggers injured at the same time. I suppose this is an inescapable aspect of adult sports. Hoping you can recover quickly and without any knives or needles involved.
    Quote Originally Posted by flystorms
    Ugh that stinks! I'm sorry to hear another one of us is on the DL list. I hope you're able to recover
    Thanks, Kari. I appreciate the good wishes for my recovery.
    Ugh that stinks! I'm sorry to hear another one of us is on the DL list. I hope you're able to recover
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    It was SCY and I alternated dolphin-flutter by 25s.
    Still impressively fast. I think Chris Stevenson did 4:52 for the 400 kick once. I've never done the event, but will often kick a 400 IM in practice. My best is 7:11. I was 7:38 a few days ago, and quite happy with that.