View RSS Feed

Of Swimming Bondage

bondage:

• dictionary.com: the state of being bound by or subjected to some external power or control

Though I swore at 22 I would hang my suit up forever, I am compelled to swim, to relish in the pain/pleasure continuum across workouts and meets, to be forever & happily enslaved by this odd sport.

In my 50s now, I've created this blog to keep me motivated, chart my progress and, possibly, offer some insight to others.

1. Nice swim, not so nice race

by , April 8th, 2012 at 11:26 AM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    Yesterday, Saturday April 7th, was a gorgeous day for an open water swim ... too bad it was actually supposed to be a race, something my body just never seemed to want to acknowledge. DCB started the race from the north side of Tempe Town Lake (TTL), just a few yards offshore from a sandy beach area. The 11am start time, the very light cloud cover and the course markings meant we never had to swim into the blinding sun that usually greets OW racers in AZ. I thought the water would feel a bit colder than it did -- official race temp was 64 but I think it pushed 66 in parts -- but it just felt good. Really the only bad thing about the day was that TTL was its usual murky self, so visibility was about arm's length. There were more "naked" swimmers than I had expected, probably 10 of us, and, aside from Kurt Dickson, some guy from Las Vegas and I, I think everyone else was from Mesa Aquatics Club (that's probably not entirely right, but there was a good crew from there).

Although I'd had a fairly crappy week of workouts, I thought I could at least hang with Kurt for some period (he almost always beats me on distances like this), so my race strategy was to draft off him for as long as I could. Well, that strategy didn't even last to the 2nd buoy. Kurt got out to a good start, I got locked into a few arm bumps with the guy from Las Vegas and I just watched Kurt steadily pull away from both of us. I just couldn't will my body to go any faster ... but ... at the same time ... I was really enjoying the swim. I settled myself into a nice groove, in a steady breathing pattern of 2-2-3-2-2, lifting my head for a sighting every fourth breath except when passing the buoys. I thought it was cool that the swim passed under two bridges, enjoying the darkened water. I passed numerous wetsuit swimmers (who start 5 minutes ahead of the naked folks), but never saw Kurt or the guy from Las Vegas again. It was very much a meditative solo effort ... until I rounded the third to last buoy on the last lap and spotted a red cap behind me with no wetsuit. I knew this had to be one of two swimmers -- either my daughter's fast friend (who beats me in the 800/1500) or Shauna Nelson, a MAC Masters swimmer and great distance gal. Aside from my lame attempt at racing Kurt at the start of the race, this was my only real "racing" part of the event, just desperately trying to stay ahead of whoever this was. She kept gaining on me throughout the last ~400 yards, but I managed to hold her off (by a mere 2 seconds). At the end of the day, Kurt just obliterated me (http://www.dcbadventures.com/uploads.../owsr1ov12.pdf) by almost 2 minutes and yet ... I really loved the swim. It was probably the most pleasant and smooth open water swimming experience in recent memory.

So, as much as I liked my race, I loved watching my second daughter do the 2K event. Though she has no reason to be confident she'll be warm in chilly water (tall and thin), she was not at all phased by doing her race without a wetsuit. Quite logically, she just noted that the water temp was about La Jolla race water temp, so it would be no big deal. The "naked" swimmer crowd was 10 people and she swam an extremely solid 31:09, to score 2nd woman overall. She loved the event and is talking about doing the 4K later in the series.

All in all, it was great day. A number of the swimmers were bemoaning the fact that we have such great lakes for racing, but not enough races. There are a number of exploratory efforts underway this year in the lakes by different people to figure out new places, new distances, etc. for races. I'll be involved in one of those a little later (more on that later), but learned about another group attempting 6 swims of 10 miles, as well. I'll try to get involved in as many of those as I can and report on them as I do.

My wife and youngest daughter came along to cheer and take pictures; if there are any good ones, I'll post them.
  2. Back on track + Q1 Stats

by , April 6th, 2012 at 06:04 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    This morning
    Nothing like a 5am work call to ensure that you're up in time for a 5:30am workout. I made it over to Burlingame with their boisterous crew and did this in SCY, finally producing somewhat respectable workout times:

• 1 x 500: various
    • Set #1:
      • 4 x 50: on 1:00, drill
      • 4 x 100: on 1:20, descend free
      • 4 x 50: on 1:00, stroke choice

• Set #2: 2 rounds of
      • 1 x 300: pull on 4:00, was 3:20 on both
      • 4 x 75: on 1:30, kick
      • 4 x 100: on 1:30, descend 1-3, #4 easy
        • Still was technique-centric, but got down to 1:02s on the faster frees

• Set #4: 10 x 100: on 2:00
      • odds FAST: IM (1:05), fly (1:01), back (1:03), breast (1:16), free (0:58)
      • evens easy

TOTAL: 4,300 SCY

Commentary:

• The add-up 400 IM was 4:18, which is too slow for how this set was structured, but way better than I've been swimming earlier this week. Dream splits for race time are 0:58 - 1:03 / 1:14 / 0:58.
    • And, again, this has to be one of the most "awake" crowds of Masters swimmers around. Thanks, guys.

Q1 Stats
    While I'm a bit behind my slightly ambitious goal to be a Million Yard Man in 2012, my Q1 swim training stats bear out what I had intended and what I've been feeling:

• I am swimming more in aggregate: 10% more volume through Q1 of this year versus 2011. Note that 2011 marked a 20% increase in aggregate volume over 2010 (my previous long year).
    • I am swimming more per workout: I averaged approximately 3,963 SCY per workout in Q1'12 versus 3,284 SCY per workout in Q1'11, a 20.7% increase year over year.

Now, I know that volume alone is not a predictor of success, but, when adding in my recent test set results and the steady improvement on them over the last 3 months, I know I'm in the best swimming shape of my Masters' career. Greensboro's going to rock.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  3. Rinky dink

by , April 5th, 2012 at 09:21 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    I carved out about 75 minutes in my work schedule today to drop into the Rinconada Pool for this in SCY:

• 1 x 400: 50 free drill, 300 IM k/d/d, 50 free drill
    • 3 rounds of:
      • 4 x 25: on 0:35, drill free
      • 3 x 50: on 0:50, vaguely descend stroke by round (back, breast, free)
      • 1 x 100: on 1:30, very loose descend across the rounds

• 6 x 25: more freestyle drills from yesterday
    • 2 rounds of:
      • 4 x 50: on 0:45 or 0:50 or whatever felt jiggy at the time
        • My thought was to descend these, but I kept getting caught up in technique work

• 5 x 100:
        • Rd 1 on 1:20 trying to just focus on technique and go in the general direction of faster (1:11 to 1:04)
        • Rd 2 on 1:10 trying to keep the technique up while making them (1:04 to 1:06)

• Then, I didn't really know what to do as I didn't feel like doing the 200s at fast pace I had intended so I did
      • 4 x 100: on 1:10
      • 4 x 50: on something

• So, then, I was going to do 4 x 100 on 1:45 trying to finally go fast in this workout, but I just couldn't get excited about this, so I did a variety of things that added up to 400

TOTAL: 4,000 SCY

Commentary:

• Though I did workout well last week, coming back from the time off from work has been stressful and my body's repaying me for that added stress by not being too jazzed to pump it up in the pool.
    • I've got two solutions for that, though:
      • Dropping in with Burlingame tomorrow and the coach said we're going to sprint
      • Racing the 4K OW this Saturday at Tempe Town Lake (www.dcbadventures.com). I'm going wetsuitless so the 64 to 67 degree water temp ranges I've seen will get me jumping

• Very glad Greensboro is still a ways a way; I can handle a sideways week this week.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. Marbles

by , April 4th, 2012 at 10:33 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    In many of my freestyle races over the last year or so and very often in workouts, in spite of sometimes swimming decent times, I have felt like I was losing my marbles trying to find my stroke, trying to catch the water in the right way, trying to connect arms to my hips to my kick. While I tried to do some technique work on my drills and tried to focus on my technique while training, I felt like I wasn't getting the stroke put back together again. I needed professional help and finally managed to squeeze in a lesson with Anne Wilson, the TI-trained coach who I worked with quite frequently in 2009 (recognize the guy doing the drill here -- http://www.camelbackcoaching.com/swim). It was well worth it. I had a number of complaints going into the session mostly centered around feeling like I had no control over my left hand and arm; some twinges in my left shoulder of late helped reinforce that I was doing something wrong. Anne noticed a lot of things to work on and we set about doing a mixture of drills (skate, zipper skate and zipper switch) before settling into some focused work on sculling. The work was very elemental, but Anne gave me a great way to think about holding the water on my sculling -- trying to imagine I had marbles in the palm of my hand and that, as I sculled, my goal was to not lose the marbles. This really crystallized feeling constant pressure, getting continuous "grip" on the water as I sculled. We almost never do any full swimming during these hour-long sessions, but I did finish up with one 25 (actually about 30M given one extra long lane at the pool she trains from) of swimming. As Anne noted and I felt, my stroke was already crisper and more connected. I'll only get in one more session before Nationals (time and $$ constraints), but I've got some very concrete ideas to work on during my drills over the next 3 weeks. So glad I did this ...
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Like the day after a 3 day meet

by , April 4th, 2012 at 01:24 AM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    Though I didn't race at all this past weekend, my body felt like the day after a 3 day meet. I gave up on this workout when my calves cramped pushing off for an attempted fast 100 back:

• 1 x 600: 200 free swim, 300 IM k/d/d, 100 free swim
    • 4 x 100: on 1:40, descend free pull w/buoy & paddles from 1:20 to 1:14
    • 8 x 50: on 1:00, 2 each stroke, odds kick/drill, evens build
    • 8 x 25: on 0:30, odds easy, evens AFAP IM order
    • 6 x 50: on 1:00
      • #1 & #6 easy
      • #2 to #5 faster IM order

• 1 x 100: easy
    • 4 x 50: on 1:00, add up to 200 IM time
      • 2:18 as 0:32, 0:35, 0:40, 0:31

• 4 x 50: on 0:45, 0:50, 0:55, 1:00 recovery pull w/buoy
    • 1 x 200: on 3:30, IM fast, broken at 100 for 0:15
      • 2:25 as 1:11 / 1:14

• 2 x 100: on 2:00
      • Supposed to be IM order add-up to 400 IM time
      • Went 1:10+ on fly, pushed off and cramped on back and called it a day

TOTAL: 3,000 SCM

Commentary:

• Sometimes you need a vacation to rest from your vacation. After putting my daughter on a flight home from Montreal on Sunday, my wife and I stayed an extra day, enjoyed the city, the last night of finals at Canadian Trials and walked 500 miles*. Maybe that's why my legs gave out on me today.
    • The 200 IM times actually weren't too bad, though.

* I'm just havering about the 500 miles.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  6. Like the day after a 3 day meet

by , April 4th, 2012 at 01:21 AM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    Though I didn't race at all this past weekend, my body felt like the day after a 3 day meet. I gave up on this workout when my calves cramped pushing off for an attempted fast 100 back:

• 1 x 600: 200 free swim, 300 IM k/d/d, 100 free swim
    • 4 x 100: on 1:40, descend free pull w/buoy & paddles from 1:20 to 1:14
    • 8 x 50: on 1:00, 2 each stroke, odds kick/drill, evens build
    • 8 x 25: on 0:30, odds easy, evens AFAP IM order
      • #1 & #6 easy
      • #2 to #5 faster IM order

• 1 x 100: easy
    • 4 x 50: on 1:00, add up to 200 IM time
      • 2:18 as 0:32, 0:35, 0:40, 0:31

• 1 x 200: on 3:30, IM fast, broken at 100 for 0:15
      • 2:25 as 1:11 / 1:14

• 2 x 100: on 2:00
      • Supposed to be IM order add-up to 400 IM time
      • Went 1:10+ on fly, pushed off and cramped on back and called it a day

TOTAL: 3,000 SCM

Commentary:

• Sometimes you need a vacation to rest from your vacation. After putting my daughter on a flight home from Montreal on Sunday, my wife and I stayed an extra day, enjoyed the city, the last night of finals at Canadian Trials and walked 500 miles*. Maybe that's why my legs gave out on me today.
    • The 200 IM times actually weren't too bad, though.

* I'm just havering about the 500 miles.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  7. Downtown 4K

by , March 31st, 2012 at 05:48 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    While I wish I could've done my afternoon workout between prelims and finals here ...

... I was, instead, at the downtown Montreal YMCA...

... where I was able to share a surprisingly cool-watered lane with a lady who clearly did not understand that the word rapide means fast! I did workout #3 from the HVT thread and surprised myself by swimming rapide (for me):

• Warmup sets:
      • 1 x 400: 100 free, 300 IM k/d/d
      • 4 x 100: on 1:40, descend from 1:15 to 1:07
      • 2 x 4 x 50: 3 on 0:45 @ fast pace (32/33), 1 easy on 1:00
      • 8 x 25: on 0:30, odds easy, evens fast IM order
      • 1 x 100: free easy

• Main set: straight through
      • 6 x 125: on 2:05, hold RACE pace + 0:04 per 100 after flipping at the end ... made 1:25 target
      • 6 x 100: on 2:00, odds dolphin/flutter kick descend, evens easy back/breast swim
      • 6 x 75: on 1:20, hold RACE pace + 0:02 per 100 after flipping at the end ... made 0:50 target
      • 6 x 50: on 1:00, odds dolphin/flutter kick descend, evens easy back/breast swim
      • 6 x 25: on 0:35, hold RACE pace after flipping at the end ... made 0:16 target
      • 5 x 50: active recovery on 0:40, 0:45, 0:50, 0:55

TOTAL: 4,000 SCM

Commentary:

• It's kind of not surprising that I swam as well as I did ... nothing really felt like I had to push too hard ... because I had Weds/Thurs off and yesterday's was a cruise workout ... but I'm still quite happy.
    • I'm going back for finals tonight at the Trials and excited to watch the women's 800 free.
    • It was a gorgeous day in Montreal. I wish that the outdoor pools at Parc Jean Drapeau had been open, the pools where I believe we'll swim 2014 Masters Worlds.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  8. McGill Chill

by , March 30th, 2012 at 11:07 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    Dang, that 5:45am eastern alarm clock felt early and the 30 minute trek mostly uphill from the pad we rented to McGill University's Memorial Pool (http://yfrog.com/g0rn6jnj) was chilly, but, after two days out of the water, it felt great to get this in with their Masters Team in SCM:

• 1 x 1000: SKIPS
    • 12 x 25: on 0:40
      • odds max pushoff distance then easy to the wall
      • evens were something else that now escapes me
      • I mixed up freestyle and backstroke

• 12 x 25: on 0:40, start from mid-pool / single turn
      • odds do underwater turns
      • evens focus on turns
      • I mixed up freestyle and backstroke

• 20 x 50: on 1:00, start from mid-pool / double turns
      • Descend each set of 4
      • I went free, back, free, breast, fly/back/breast

• 8 x 100: pull w/buoy
      • #1-4 descend on 1:50, 50 free / 50 back
      • #5 - #8 descend on 1:55 25 breast / 75 free

• 8 x 75: on 1:30
      • odds 25 underwater no breath / 50 easy
      • evens 25 kick harder / 50 easy

Commentary:

• I didn't push much today ... and am not sure my body would've responded too well had I tried!
    • I got in most of my HVT workout #2 on Tuesday (4K of it), but never blogged it.
    • Canadian Trials have been a lot of fun thus far. I think my daughter's enjoying the experience and her times are holding up well (given that her big taper meet was just 3 weeks ago); our focus is on getting and feeling the experience rather than the times. It's gotta feel way different standing in that massive pool with the jumbotron at the other end of the pool and a mockup of a London bus right behind you, one official per lane, etc. Definitely a cool, but still intimidating event for a high schooler to experience.
    • The pool definitely has a high pressure / high stakes vibe going for it, but, with slightly less than 900 swimmers and a massive facility, it feels very comfortable and uncramped in the facility. My only regret is that I won't get to do a workout in the Olympic Pool.
    • We've met a lot of nice people -- swimmers, coaches, parents -- at the meet. Wearing Scottsdale Aquatic Club (SAC) t-shirts causes people to pause and many of them to open a conversation; we've run into many swimmers who have trained at some point in Arizona and one who was the teammate at a Canadian university of a girl who swam at SAC through high school.
    • We haven't yet made it to watch a finals session (too much other stuff to see in town), but will do so tomorrow night (women's 800) and Sunday night (men's 1500). Oh yeah, those short events are also happening (50 and 100 free) on those days. I did catch some solid swimming in the AM sessions.
    • We are also making the most of our time in Montreal; crepes were on the plate tonight and poutine tomorrow night! I love this city, but I always seem to show up in the winter. I can't wait to come for Worlds in the summer of 2014!

===========
    Pools / Open Water since 2007

One pool added in bold below.

Pools I've trained in since 2007

1. Cactus Aquatic Center (Scottsdale, AZ)
    2. Brophy Sports Campus (Phoenix, AZ)
    3. Lifetime Fitness (Scottsdale, AZ)
    4. Lifetime Fitness (Skokie, IL)
    5. Lifetime Fitness (Austin, TX)
    6. Somerville YMCA (Somerville, NJ)
    7. Raritan Valley Community College (Branchburg, NJ)
    8. IUPUI Natatorium (Indianapolis, IN)
    9. UT Swim Center (Austin, TX)
    10. U of Arizona Hillebrand Swim CenterTucson, AZ)
    11. Talisman Sports Complex (Calgary, Alberta)
    12. U of Lethbridge Max Bell Swim Centre (Lethbridge, Alberta)
    13. Crystal Pool (Victoria, British Columbia)
    14. Oaks Christian School (Westlake Village, CA)
    15. Lifetime Fitness (Berkeley Heights, NJ)
    16. Jewish Community Center (Scottsdale, AZ)
    17. McDowell Mountain Ranch Aquatic Center (Scottsdale, AZ)
    18. Desert Breeze Pool (Las Vegas, NV)
    19. The Olympic Club (San Francisco)
    20. Janet Evans Sports Complex (Fullerton, CA)
    21. Woollett Aquatic Center / Irvine High School (Irvine, CA)
    22. Bruce Hazard Pool @ Mission Valley YMCA (San Diego)
    23. UCSD Canyonview Pool (San Diego)
    24. Villanova University (Philadelphia, PA)
    25. Kino Aquatic Center (Mesa, AZ)
    26. Hilton Head Island Rec Center (Hilton Head, SC)
    27. YMCA Aquatic Center (Orlando, FL)
    28. Westin Sohna-Gurgaon (India)
    29. Reading Central Pool (Reading, England)
    30. Optimist Park (Raleigh, NC)
    31. Pullen Aquatic Center (Raleigh, NC)
    32. NOVA Aquatics Center shallow pool (Richmond, VA)
    33. Lifetime Fitness (Cary, NC)
    34. Philadelphia Airport Marriott
    35. Berkeley Aquatic Club (Berkeley Heights, NJ)
    36. Chatham County Aquatic Center (Savannah, GA)
    37. Lifetime Fitness (Tempe, AZ)
    38. Clark Swim Center (Walnut Creek, CA)
    39. Holy Names University (Oakland, CA w/Manatee Masters)
    40. B.A.D.A.S.S. Pool (Scottsdale, AZ)
    41. Summit YMCA (Summit, NJ)
    42. George Washington Rec Center (Alexandria, VA)
    43. ACAC (Midlothian, VA)
    44. Centennial Indoor Pool (Cranford, NJ)
    45. Mission Viejo Dive Tank pool (Mission Viejo, CA)
    46. Mesa Carson Westwood Aquatic Complex (Mesa, AZ)
    47. Lifetime Fitness (Goodyear, AZ)
    48. Victoria YMCA (Victoria, BC)
    49. Issaquah Julius Boehm Pool (Issaquah, WA)
    50. Charles Hadley Pool (Miami, FL)
    51. Pompano Beach Aquatic Center (FL)
    52. Culver City Municipal Plunge (CA)
    53. Stanford Avery Aquatic Center - Baker Pool (Palo Alto, CA)
    54. Tualatin Hills Aquatic Center (Beaverton, OR)
    55. Mt Hood Aquatic Center (Gresham, OR)
    56. Juniper Swim & Fitness Center (Bend, Or)
    57. George Haines International Swim Center (Santa Clara, CA)
    58. Renaissance Club Sport (Aliso Viejo, CA)
    59. Rengstorff Pool (Mountain View, CA)
    60. Coronado Municipal Pool (Coronado, CA)
    61. Eagle Park (Mountain View, CA)
    62. James City / Williamsburg Community Center (Williamsburg, VA)
    63. NOVA Aquatics Center deep pool (Richmond, VA)
    64. Belmont Plaza outdoor pool (Long Beach, CA)
    65. Laguna Beach HS Pool (CA)
    66. Lifetime Fitness (Florham Park, NJ)
    67. USF Koret Aquatic Center (San Fran)
    68. Lifetime Athletic (Vernon Hills, IL)
    69. Stanford Avery Aquatic Center - Bellardi Pool (Palo Alto, CA)
    70. Fremont Hills Country Club (Los Altos Hills, CA)
    71. Rinconada Pool (Palo Alto, CA)
    72. Burlingame Aquatic Center (Burlingame, CA)
    73. Medgar Evers Pool (Seattle, WA)
    74. McGill Memorial Pool (Montreal, QC)

Pools I've competed in since 2007

1. UT Swim Center (Austin, TX)
    2. ASU Mona Plummer (Tempe, AZ)
    3. Rutger's Sonny Werblin (Piscataway, NJ)
    4. Mission Viejo Nadadores (Mission Viejo, CA)
    5. U of Arizona Hillebrand Swim CenterTucson, AZ)
    6. Rinconada Pool (Palo Alto, CA)
    7. BEST Swim Club (Phoenix, AZ)
    8. Clovis North High School (Fresno, CA)
    9. YMCA Aquatic Center (Orlando, FL)
    10. Kino Aquatic Center (Mesa, AZ)
    11. Georgia Tech Aquatic Center (Atlanta, GA)
    12. Cactus Aquatic Center (Scottsdale, AZ)
    13. Desert Breeze Pool (Las Vegas, NV)
    14. Saanich Commonwealth Place (Victoria, BC)
    15. Skyline Aquatic Center (Mesa, AZ)
    16. Glendale Foothills Aquatic Center (Glendale, AZ)

Open Water courses trained/competed in since 2007

1. Tempe Town Lake (Tempe, AZ)
    2. Lake Pend Oreille (Sandpoint, ID)
    3. La Jolla Cove / Pacific Ocean (La Jolla, CA)
    4. Greenwich Cove (Greenwich, CT)
    5. Flathead Lake (Montana), both Somers Bay (training) & Polson Bay (competing)
    6. Saguaro Lake (Arizona)
    7. Lake Pleasant (Peoria, AZ)
    8. Atlantic Ocean - Ft. Lauderdale
    9. Elk Lake (Oregon)
    Tags: pool list
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  9. 3 x 300 test set

by , March 26th, 2012 at 08:26 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    I didn't know what to expect today as I often feel sluggish after a deep tissue massage. Judging by my IM & breaststroke times, I was, but I performed pretty well on my freestyle test set, on par with the best I've ever done on this without any sort of tech-suit advantage:

• Warmup sets (1700): straight thru after 0:30 rest after 1st 400
      • 1 x 400: 100 fr, 300 IM k/d/d

• 4 x 100: on 1:40, descend free swim (1:17, 1:13, 1:10, 1:06)
      • 4 x 100: on 2:00, kick, dolphin/flutter by 25s
        • 1:34 to 1:29 (better than recently)

• 6 x 50: #1 & #6 easy free, #2 to #5 build IM
        • 33, 36, 40, 31+

• 4 x 25: on 0:45, free, 5-6-7-8 strokes fast, w/Zoomers and paddles
      • 1 x 100: easy on about 2:30

• TEST SET 3 x 300: free on 4:30, fast pace aiming to even split as much as possible
      • Aim to determine your 100 aerobic workout pace
      • 08-07-09: 3:36, 3:34+, 3:33
      • 09-01-09: 3:27, 3:25+, 3:26
        • best non-tech suit performance

• 11-16-09: 3:47, 3:49, 3:51
      • 12-08-09: 3:31, 3:32, 3:30
      • 01-10-10: 3:32, 3:30, 3:31
      • 01-21-10: 3:28+, 3:26+, 3:23 (w/B70 leggings)
      • 03-02-10: 3:28, 3:29, 3:27 (w/TYR leggings)
      • 04-09-10: 3:34, 3:28, 3:27 (w/endurance jammers)
      • 08-16-10: 3:34+, 3:37, 3:38 (w/endurance jammers)
      • 05-06-11: 3:32, 3:29, 3:31 (ancient paper jammers)
      • 06-03-11: 3:27+, 3:26+, 3:26 (ancient paper jammers)
      • 07-04-11: 3:30, 3:36, 3:42 (ancient paper jammers)
      • 09-07-11: 3:41, 3:37, 3:37
      • 10-07-11: 3:42, 3:39, 3:36
      • 11-10-11: 3:30, 3:26+, 3:27 (Yingfa jammers)
      • 11-29-11: 3:30, 3:34, 3:37 (Yingfa jammers)
      • 01-02-12: 3:46, 3:44, 3:41+ (Yingfa jammers)
      • 01-31-12: 3:39, 3:36, 3:35 (Yingfa jammers)
      • 02-27-12: 3:34, 3:30+, 3:27+ (Nike lycra brief)
      • 03-26-12: 3:28, 3:25, 3:24 (ancient paper jammers)

• 6 x 50: active recovery pull, 2 each on 0:45, 0:50, 0:55
    • 2 x 4 x 100:
      • Round #1: #1 to #3 IM descend on 1:45 (1:22, 1:18, 1:16), #4 easy pull
      • Round #2: #1 to #3 breast descend on 2:00 (1:30, 1:28, 1:26), #4 easy pull

• Then I was going to do 8 x 25, diving the odds fast IM order, but my calf seized on the 1st dive so I just floated a 50 and called in a day

TOTAL: 3,750 SCM

Commentary:

• The great thing about the consistency of this set -- when I swim well -- is the confidence it builds. My best ever performance was about 5 weeks out from my best ever Masters meet, the Rowdy Gaines meet in the Fall of '09. I am feeling completely on target for some fast swimming in Greensboro.
    • I'm loving the competition that's showing up in Greensboro: it will make for fun racing and, as always, a chance to see people I haven't seen in a year, or, in at least one case, about 25 years!
    • My sisters and Dad are all signed up for Greensboro, so we'll have our family relays happening for Brundage Swim Masters. We've got the t-shirts made ... I just need to get some caps made up quickly!
    • I'm working on lining up pool time while I'm in Montreal later this week. I've got one Masters workout that I should be able to hit at McGill and then a couple of other pools where I should be at least be able to get in for some open lap swimming. In a dreamworld, I'd get three pool workouts in while I'm there, but I'm setting my goal at two as the clear priority is my daughter's swimming.
    • If there are any Old Breaststrokers reading this, make sure you're up at 6am on Friday to swim with me at the McGill Masters (http://www.mcgill.ca/athletics/recre...s/mastersswim/) as your competition in Greensboro looks even tougher than mine; you can't afford three days out of the water at your age
    Tags: test 3 x 300
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  10. Shorty Forty

by , March 26th, 2012 at 01:20 AM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    I had cobbled together a great bonus workout for today from some of Fort's HIT sets from this past week, but ended up only having 30 minutes of pool time, so did this:

• 1 x 400: 100 free swim, 300 IM k/d/d
    • 10 x 50: on 0:50
      • 5 pull w/buoy and paddles
      • Equipment change for 0:20
      • 5 kick w/long fins
        • odds fast breast arms/flutter kick down, easy dolphin back
        • evens fast underwater SDK to 15M, then easy backstroke kick

• 8 x 25: on about 0:35, underwater shooters w/long fins to 15M then easy, odds dolphin, evens flutter
    • 1 x 50: easy
    • 4 x 50: fast from blocks to 15M then cruise the rest of the way

TOTAL: 1,400 SCM

Commentary:

• The main workout today was my massage (and also a reason for me having less pool time): practically every masseuse I've been too has commented, once they learn I swim primarily for exercise, on how surprised they are at how tight I am. They seem to think all swimmers are all loose and flexible. I remind them they should be glad swimmers do get tight: helps their business.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  11. Confidence-building

by , March 25th, 2012 at 01:05 AM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    After officiating this morning's Arizona 8 & under State Championships, I was able to get in at home for a great, confidence-boosting workout. I really didn't expect to perform very well given how I felt yesterday morning in Seattle, and the combined impact of business travel and officiating, but I surprised myself:

• 1 x 400: 100 free swim, 300 IM k/d/d by 25s
    • 4 x 100: on 1:40, descend free (1:20 -> 1:11)
    • 4 x 100: on 2:00, descend kick
    • 1 x 50: easy free
    • 2 sets of 4 x 50: going 3 harder on 0:45, 1 cruise on 1:00
    • 8 x 25: odd fast IM order from blocks, evens easy
    • 1 x 50: easy free
    • Quality Broken 500s
      • 4 rounds of a broken 500 followed by 4 cruise 25s recovery.
      • Striving for 2 different paces
        • RACE PACE = 1:04+ (57.5 to 58.0 in SCY)
        • RACE + 0:04 = 1:08+

• Masters Minute between rounds.
      • Round 1:
        • 5 x 100: on 1:35, holding RACE + 0:04 (went 1:07, 1:07+, 1:08, 1:07+, 1:08)
        • 4 X 25: on 0:40, active recovery fly

• Round 2:
        • 2 x 75: on 1:15, hold 0:48 / RACE (made it)
        • 1 x 150: on 2:30, holding RACE + 0:04 (1:42, did it)
        • 2 x 75: on (BASE + 0:20) per 100, holding RACE
        • 1 x 50: on 0:50, holding RACE (target 0:32, was 0:31+)
        • 4 x 25: on BASE/2, active recovery backstroke

• Round 3:
        • 1 x 250: on 4:00, holding RACE + 0:04 (target 2:51+, was 2:52+)
        • 2 x 125: on 2:05, holding RACE (target 1:20, but 1:22+)
        • 4 x 25: on 0:40, active recovery backstroke

• Round 4:
        • 1 x 100: on 1:35, holding RACE + 0:04 (target 1:08+, made it)
        • 6 x 50: on 0:50, holding RACE (target 32, made it)
        • ** CALF CRAMP **
        • 4 x 25: on 0:40, active recovery breaststroke
        • 1 x 100: on holding RACE + 0:04 (target = 1:08+, made it)

• 4 x 50: active recovery on 0:45, 0:50, 0:55

TOTAL: 4,500 SCM

Commentary:

• This is easily the best pace work I've done in 2012; very happy with it. I ran out of time to get in the 5th round.
    • As far as officiating today, the meet was a lot of fun, but, much as I'm a fan of tech suit, I was shocked and dismayed to see a few 8 year old girls wearing B70, Finis and Arena tech suits. C'mon, folks, 8 year olds in tech suits?
    • Going to grab a short variant of something from Fortress tomorrow for my 5th workout / bonus workout of the week before some more officiating and then a much, much, much-needed massage.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  12. Medgar Morning

by , March 23rd, 2012 at 01:35 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    Though I was here last night as a spectator ...

... lap swimming and Masters' workouts at King County Aquatic Center are obviously not happening while NCAAs are on. Thanks to Kirk "Seattle Customized Pool Tourist Guide" Nelson, I was able to get in a very good workout at Medgar Evers Pool (http://media.komonews.com/images/100...attle_pool.jpg). Kirk expertly pointed me here, right on my way from my hotel to my first meeting of the day. In SCY:

• 1 x 400: 100 free, 300 IM k/d/d
    • 4 x 100: on 1:30, gentle descend free from about 1:11 to 1:05
    • 8 x 50: on 0:50, 2 each stroke, odds kick/drill, events swim/drill
    • 12 x 150:
      • 6 on 2:00 w/buoy and paddles ... supposed to descend and I guess I did, but it was tight from 1:42 to 1:39
      • 4 on 1:50 w/buoy, held 1:38 to 1:40
      • 2 on 1:40 swim, was 1:37, 1:34

• 4 x 50: active recovery on 0:45 or 0:50
    • 6 x 100: on 1:20, backstroke, started around 1:15, ended around 1:09
    • 4 x 50: active recovery on 0:45 or 0:50
    • 6 x 75: on 1:05, no free IM, went from about 0:57 to 0:51
    • 3 x 50: cruise-down

TOTAL: 4,600 SCY

Commentary:

• This morning was a great exercise in the relativity of speed. It open lap swim and Lane 3 was designated as "Very Fast" so I got in there. Until I started the 150s, I was alone, but then a woman joined me. It was fine with the two of us and I didn't mind passing her (I was doing my 150s about the same pace as her 100s), but she moved over to another lane. I was alone until I started my 100s back, at which point, two young guys dove in. It took me awhile to see they had beautiful Longhorns on their suits and "Texas" on their caps. When we each had a break, we chatted a little bit; they didn't make the NCAA cuts, but were in town to cheer the guys on. So, we had three very different perceptions of "speed" going on
      • Lap swimming lady thought I was "very fast"
      • I thought the young Texas guys were "very fast"
      • ... and they are likely looking at their teammates who are racing at Federal Way and thinking how very fast those guys are

• ... well, OK, those guys racing at Federal Way are beyond exceedingly very fast.
    • I had a great time watching the meet last night and will try to write up some notes on it later today.

===========
    Pools / Open Water since 2007

One pool added in bold below.

Pools I've trained in since 2007

1. Cactus Aquatic Center (Scottsdale, AZ)
    2. Brophy Sports Campus (Phoenix, AZ)
    3. Lifetime Fitness (Scottsdale, AZ)
    4. Lifetime Fitness (Skokie, IL)
    5. Lifetime Fitness (Austin, TX)
    6. Somerville YMCA (Somerville, NJ)
    7. Raritan Valley Community College (Branchburg, NJ)
    8. IUPUI Natatorium (Indianapolis, IN)
    9. UT Swim Center (Austin, TX)
    10. U of Arizona Hillebrand Swim CenterTucson, AZ)
    11. Talisman Sports Complex (Calgary, Alberta)
    12. U of Lethbridge Max Bell Swim Centre (Lethbridge, Alberta)
    13. Crystal Pool (Victoria, British Columbia)
    14. Oaks Christian School (Westlake Village, CA)
    15. Lifetime Fitness (Berkeley Heights, NJ)
    16. Jewish Community Center (Scottsdale, AZ)
    17. McDowell Mountain Ranch Aquatic Center (Scottsdale, AZ)
    18. Desert Breeze Pool (Las Vegas, NV)
    19. The Olympic Club (San Francisco)
    20. Janet Evans Sports Complex (Fullerton, CA)
    21. Woollett Aquatic Center / Irvine High School (Irvine, CA)
    22. Bruce Hazard Pool @ Mission Valley YMCA (San Diego)
    23. UCSD Canyonview Pool (San Diego)
    24. Villanova University (Philadelphia, PA)
    25. Kino Aquatic Center (Mesa, AZ)
    26. Hilton Head Island Rec Center (Hilton Head, SC)
    27. YMCA Aquatic Center (Orlando, FL)
    28. Westin Sohna-Gurgaon (India)
    29. Reading Central Pool (Reading, England)
    30. Optimist Park (Raleigh, NC)
    31. Pullen Aquatic Center (Raleigh, NC)
    32. NOVA Aquatics Center shallow pool (Richmond, VA)
    33. Lifetime Fitness (Cary, NC)
    34. Philadelphia Airport Marriott
    35. Berkeley Aquatic Club (Berkeley Heights, NJ)
    36. Chatham County Aquatic Center (Savannah, GA)
    37. Lifetime Fitness (Tempe, AZ)
    38. Clark Swim Center (Walnut Creek, CA)
    39. Holy Names University (Oakland, CA w/Manatee Masters)
    40. B.A.D.A.S.S. Pool (Scottsdale, AZ)
    41. Summit YMCA (Summit, NJ)
    42. George Washington Rec Center (Alexandria, VA)
    43. ACAC (Midlothian, VA)
    44. Centennial Indoor Pool (Cranford, NJ)
    45. Mission Viejo Dive Tank pool (Mission Viejo, CA)
    46. Mesa Carson Westwood Aquatic Complex (Mesa, AZ)
    47. Lifetime Fitness (Goodyear, AZ)
    48. Victoria YMCA (Victoria, BC)
    49. Issaquah Julius Boehm Pool (Issaquah, WA)
    50. Charles Hadley Pool (Miami, FL)
    51. Pompano Beach Aquatic Center (FL)
    52. Culver City Municipal Plunge (CA)
    53. Stanford Avery Aquatic Center - Baker Pool (Palo Alto, CA)
    54. Tualatin Hills Aquatic Center (Beaverton, OR)
    55. Mt Hood Aquatic Center (Gresham, OR)
    56. Juniper Swim & Fitness Center (Bend, Or)
    57. George Haines International Swim Center (Santa Clara, CA)
    58. Renaissance Club Sport (Aliso Viejo, CA)
    59. Rengstorff Pool (Mountain View, CA)
    60. Coronado Municipal Pool (Coronado, CA)
    61. Eagle Park (Mountain View, CA)
    62. James City / Williamsburg Community Center (Williamsburg, VA)
    63. NOVA Aquatics Center deep pool (Richmond, VA)
    64. Belmont Plaza outdoor pool (Long Beach, CA)
    65. Laguna Beach HS Pool (CA)
    66. Lifetime Fitness (Florham Park, NJ)
    67. USF Koret Aquatic Center (San Fran)
    68. Lifetime Athletic (Vernon Hills, IL)
    69. Stanford Avery Aquatic Center - Bellardi Pool (Palo Alto, CA)
    70. Fremont Hills Country Club (Los Altos Hills, CA)
    71. Rinconada Pool (Palo Alto, CA)
    72. Burlingame Aquatic Center (Burlingame, CA)
    73. Medgar Evers Pool (Seattle, WA)

Pools I've competed in since 2007

1. UT Swim Center (Austin, TX)
    2. ASU Mona Plummer (Tempe, AZ)
    3. Rutger's Sonny Werblin (Piscataway, NJ)
    4. Mission Viejo Nadadores (Mission Viejo, CA)
    5. U of Arizona Hillebrand Swim CenterTucson, AZ)
    6. Rinconada Pool (Palo Alto, CA)
    7. BEST Swim Club (Phoenix, AZ)
    8. Clovis North High School (Fresno, CA)
    9. YMCA Aquatic Center (Orlando, FL)
    10. Kino Aquatic Center (Mesa, AZ)
    11. Georgia Tech Aquatic Center (Atlanta, GA)
    12. Cactus Aquatic Center (Scottsdale, AZ)
    13. Desert Breeze Pool (Las Vegas, NV)
    14. Saanich Commonwealth Place (Victoria, BC)
    15. Skyline Aquatic Center (Mesa, AZ)
    16. Glendale Foothills Aquatic Center (Glendale, AZ)

Open Water courses trained/competed in since 2007

1. Tempe Town Lake (Tempe, AZ)
    2. Lake Pend Oreille (Sandpoint, ID)
    3. La Jolla Cove / Pacific Ocean (La Jolla, CA)
    4. Greenwich Cove (Greenwich, CT)
    5. Flathead Lake (Montana), both Somers Bay (training) & Polson Bay (competing)
    6. Saguaro Lake (Arizona)
    7. Lake Pleasant (Peoria, AZ)
    8. Atlantic Ocean - Ft. Lauderdale
    9. Elk Lake (Oregon)
    Tags: pool list
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  13. Quality 400 IM pace work

by , March 21st, 2012 at 08:02 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    I wasn't able to get to a core class today (again like I didn't yesterday), but that probably allowed me to perform better on my quality work:

• 1 x 400: 100 free swim, 300 IM k/d/d by 25s
    • 6 x 50: on 1:00, kick, 1 easy, 2 fast (did IM order on the fast)
    • Little warmup mountain:
      • 1 x 25: on 0:40, no breath freestyle
      • 2 x 50: on 1:00, kick/drill by 25s, fly
      • 3 x 75: on 1:05, build freestyle
      • 4 x 100: on 1:40, descend IM (from 1:21 to 1:13)

• 3 x 50: active recovery on 0:45, 0:50
    • 9 rounds of

• 1 x 100: on 1:30, FAST @ target 400 IM pace; go through IM order twice and do the 9th one IM
        • 400 IM #1 = 1:06+, 1:11, 1:21, 1:06 = 4:44+
        • 400 IM #2 = 1:08, 1:10+, 1:21, 1:04 = 4:43+
        • 100 IM fast @ 1:08+

• 4 x 50: on 0:45, 0:50, 0:55, 1:00

TOTAL: 4,300 SCM

Commentary:

• When I originally wrote this for the HVT ([ame="http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?p=263387#post263387"]U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums[/ame]), I had a Masters Minute in the main set after the 4 x 50, but I didn't have time for it. With the intervals above, this meant a fast-ish 100 every 5:00.
    • I tried hard to simulate my 400 IM pacing (e.g., not too hard, not too easy). I'd be very happy if I could do this add-up time (converted to SCY) at Greensboro in a few weeks.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  14. Speed seepage

by , March 20th, 2012 at 09:57 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    I didn't have the freakishly low heart rate like the last time I did my 8 x 100 "Salo pulse plot" test set, but some speed is finally starting to seep back into my workouts:

• Warmup sets:
      • 1 x 400: 100 fr, 200 IM k/d, 100 fr
      • 4 x 100: on 1:40, gentle descend
        • 09/06/10 - 1:20, 1:17, 1:12, 1:09+
        • 10/06/10 - 1:17, 1:14, 1:12, 1:07
        • 05/13/11 - 1:13, 1:10, 1:08, 1:05
        • 06/10/11 - 1:16, 1:13, 1:08, 1:07
        • 08/06/11 - 1:15, 1:12, 1:09, 1:07-
        • 09/03/11 - 1:16, 1:13, 1:11, 1:09
        • 10/01/11 - 1:16, 1:15, 1:12, 1:08+
        • 11/01/11 - 1:17 down to 1:13
        • 12/01/11 - 1:15, 1:11, 1:08, 1:05
        • 02/21/12 -- used buoy and paddles and didn't push too hard (1:21 -> 1:15)
        • 03/20/12 - 1:19, 1:16, 1:13, 1:10+

• 4 x 100: on 2:00, kick w/board, descend, dolphin/flutter by 25s except where noted
        • 09/06/10 - 1:36 to 1:31
        • 10/06/10 - 1:38 to 1:30
        • 05/13/11 - 1:37, 1:33, 1:31, 1:29
        • 06/10/11 - 1:37, 1:34, 1:33, 1:32
        • 08/06/11 - 1:35, 1:34, 1:29, 1:27 (did evens on back without board)
        • 09/03/11 - 1:39, 1:41, 1:35, 1:35
          • Did IM kick dds w/board, evens on back no board

• 10/01/11 - 1:43, 1:43, 1:34, 1:33+
          • IM kick, odds w/board, evens on back no board

• 11/01/11 - 1:43 to 1:35, all IM kick w/board (e.g., 'backstroke' was flutter on belly)
        • 12/01/11 - 1:35, 1:32, 1:29+, 1:26, all IM kick w/board (e.g., 'backstroke' was flutter on belly)
        • 03/20/12 - 1:39, 1:37+, 1:35, 1:33+, all IM kick w/board (e.g., 'backstroke' was flutter on belly)

• #1 & #6 easy free
        • #2 to #5, IM order build, was 0:34+, 0:35, 0:40, 0:32

• 4 x 25: on 0:40, 5-6-7-8 strokes free AFAP off wall by 25
      • 1 x 100: easy, ended up being on about 2:40

• Salo Test Set #2: Pulse Chart
      • 8 x 100: on 3:00, taking pulse for 0:10 three times after swim: immediately, 0:30 after swim, 1:00 after swim
      • Aim was to go 70%, 80%, 90%, 100%, 100%, 90%, 80%, 70%
      • 09/06/10 - 1:12, 1:08, 1:04+, 1:02-, 1:02-, 1:05, 1:07+, 1:09+
      • 10/06/10 - 1:10, 1:06, 1:04, 1:02, 1:02, 1:06, 1:07, 1:08
      • 05/13/11 - 1:10, 1:05, 1:04, 1:02, 1:03, 1:05, 1:07, 1:09
      • 06/10/11 - 1:08, 1:05, 1:04, 1:03, 1:04, 1:06, 1:07, 1:08
      • 08/06/11 - 1:10, 1:06, 1:05, 1:02+, 1:01+, 1:06, 1:07, 1:09
      • 09/03/11 - 1:13, 1:09+, 1:07, 1:04+, 1:04-, 1:07+, 1:09-, 1:11
      • 10/01/11 - 1:10, 1:09., 1:05, 1:03, 1:03, 1:06+, 1:07+, 1:12
      • 11/01/11 - 1:13, 1:09, 1:07+, 1:03+, 1:03, 1:07, 1:09+, 1:10-
      • 12/01/11 - 1:09+, 1:05, 1:05, 1:01+, 1:02+, 1:04+, 1:06+, 1:08
      • 02/21/12 - 1:11, 1:10, 1:07, 1:05, 1:04+, 1:06, 1:08, 1:10
      • 03/20/12 - 1:10, 1:06+, 1:04, 1:02, 1:02, 1:05+, 1:06, 1:08+
      • Pulse plot below
      • Salo recommends this set on 4:00 interval, but for consistency's sake, I've kept this on 3:00

• 6 x 50: active recovery, 2 each on 0:40, 0:45, 0:50
    • 2 rounds (fly on rd1, back rd 2) of:
      • 4 x 25: on 0:30, drill stroke
      • 3 x 50: on 1:00, kick stroke descend
      • 2 x 75: on 1:30, cruise going stroke swim, free swim, stroke drill by 25s
      • 1 x 100: on 2:00, IM fast
        • 1:12+ first round
        • 1:11 second round

• 4 x 50: on 0:45, 0:50, 0:55, active recovery

Commentary:

• I finally got back to max speed that was closer to my best performance on this set, so I am pretty happy with the speed. I was kind of hoping I'd keep the very low heart rate from last month, but that wasn't to be today.
    • The pulse plot below compares my best ever performance from a speed & heart-rate standpoint (last summer a little before my taper meet) with the last 2 months:

• I wonder if the increase in quality efforts over the last couple of weeks has created a little training fatigue?
    • I'll do this set again in 4 weeks, a time that will put me just about the same time ahead of Greensboro as I was for my LCM taper meet.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  15. End on a high note

by , March 18th, 2012 at 09:15 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    After disappointing swims earlier in the week, then an encouraging, but tough B70-aided swim yesterday, I wasn't sure what to expect today on my attempt at a 5K workout with a tough main set. As a cold, rainy front moved into Arizona last night, I had to abandon my own pool and head up to a VERY crowded Lifetime pool. For a bit during warmup, I was sharing a narrow lane with another woman; fortunately, she was a "real" swimmer, so it wasn't bad. As soon as the next lane opened up, though, she jumped into it. That timing worked perfectly for my attempt at Chris Stevenson's 30 x 100 test set (from NOVA coach Brent St. Pierre):

• Warmup sets (1,700)
      • 1 x 600: 150 free swim, 300 IM k/d/d, 150 free drill & swim mixup
      • 4 x 100: on 1:40, gentle descend free from 1:19 to 1:11
      • 4 x 100: on 2:00, IM kick descend
      • 8 x 25: on 0:30,
        • odds DPS
        • evens alternate Spin, then AFAP

• Brent St. Pierre Test Set (3,100 SCM total)
      • 3 sets of 10 x 100 with 2:00 rest between rounds (in which I did a 50 easy)
      • In each round, #1 to #3 are cruise free on 1:40
      • #4 to #10 were best average w/about 30 seconds rest from target time
      • My goal was to hit my goal 400 IM pace
        • Breast: goal was 1:22/1:23
        • Back: goal was 1:11
        • Free: goal was 1:03+/1:04+

• Round 1: went breast on 1:55 and was 1:26+ to 1:25
      • Round 2: went back on 1:45 and was 1:16 on 1st 4, then my legs started cramping and went 1:17, 1:18, 1:19
      • Round 3: went free on 1:40 and was 1:07+, 1:06+, 1:05+, 1:05, 1:05, 1:05+, 1:05+, 1:05

• Wrapped up with 4 x 50 easy

TOTAL: 5,000 SCM

Commentary:

• Though I didn't hit any of my goal times, those freestyle swims at the end marked one of the best sets I've done in awhile.
    • I've got to start paying attention to my stretching, as well as need to drop any alcohol from my diet. Even though I'm not a lush these days, 1-2 (occasionally 3) drinks a day dramatically increases my incidence of cramping. Dr. Brundage's orders between now and Greensboro:
      • Daily stretching
      • Teetotaling 6 of 7 days each week.

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  16. Cheater pants

by , March 17th, 2012 at 06:44 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    I wanted to hit some decent times today on my quality attempts, so I added a little juice in the form of an old pair of B70 leggings:

• 1 x 400: 100 free, 300 IM kick-drill-drill by 25s
    • 4 x 100: on 1:40, gentle descend, 1:15-1:13-1:11-1:09
    • 2 sets of 4 x 50: going 3 harder on 0:40, 1 cruise on 1:00
    • 4 x 100: on 2:00, descend kick dolphin-flutter
    • 8 x 25: odds AFAP IM order from blocks, evens easy
    • 1 x 50:easy
    • Quality Mountain
      • Do all of the FAST efforts on a 1:40 per 100; Do all of the recovery efforts on a 2:00 per 100
      • Round 1 (100 total): 1 x 50 FAST (@ 100 race pace) 2 x 25 recovery
        • Target was 28, dove this one and went 27

• Round 2 (350 total): 2 x 100 FAST (@200 race pace) 3 x 50 recovery
        • Target was 1:00, did these from push an went 1:01+, 1:02

• Round 3 (750 total): 3 x 150 FAST (@500 race pace) 4 x 100 recovery
        • Target was 1:37, went from a push and went 1:36+, 1:37, 1:38

• Round 4 (700 total): 2 x 200 FAST (@1,000 race pace) 2 x 150 recovery
        • Target was 2:14, went from a push at 2:13, 2:13

• Round 5 (450 total): 1 x 250 FAST (@1,650 race pace) 1 x 200 recovery
        • Target was 2:50, went from a push at 2:50

TOTAL: 4,250 SCM

Commentary:
    • The cheater pants certainly helped, but I also started to feel a little more like my old self again. The weather and water was perfect -- overcast & low 70s air temp with water right around 76. That beauty's going to go away though as we expect temps to drop into the 40s tonight and a big rainstorm to come. I'll be attempting the 30 x 100 test set tomorrow indoors at Lifetime, I suspect.
    • I think I'll re-jigger this set the next time I write it as follows:
      • More generous intervals on the shorter repeats.
      • Longer rest / recovery swims on the recovery swims.
      • Less generous rest on the 200s.

• The 3 x 150 was the killer part of the set.
    Tags: b70
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  17. Tried low rest ...

by , March 16th, 2012 at 07:37 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    I attempted my low rest workout #2 from this week's HVT workouts, with a little IM thrown in:

• 1 x 400: 100 free swim, 200 IM k/d, 100 free swim
    • 3 rounds of:
      • 4 x 25: on 0:35, odds kick, evens drill, fly-back-breast by round
      • 3 x 50: descend
        • Rd 1: fly-free on 0:50
        • Rd 2: back on 0:50
        • Rd 3: breast-free on 1:00

• 1 x 100: on 1:40, descend by round IM (1:22, 1:19, 1:16+)

• 3 x 50: on 0:45, recovery pull
    • Main set:
      • 3 x 200: IM on 2:45
        • Goal was to be on the fastest interval you can just make
        • Went 2:36+, 2:38, 2:41

• 4 x 100: on 1:40, active recovery pull
      • 4 x 150: free on 1:55
        • Goal was to be on the fastest interval you can just make.
        • I wanted that to be 1:50 and hold 1:45s (1:10 pace per 100)
        • It ended up being 1:55 and I went 1:48, 1:49, 1:51, 1:53

• 4 x 100: on 1:40, active recovery pull

• 1 x 50: cruise

TOTAL: 3,650 SCM

Commentary:

• It is amazing how much a little dryland work takes out of me. I hit a morning core class at Lifetime and I could feel it big time today.
    • Tomorrow will be a better day.
    • I can't wait to watch the 400 IM showdown at women's NCAAs tonight!
  18. Monster of the month ...

by , March 15th, 2012 at 11:23 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    ... phone call, that is. 6am to almost 4pm left me drained. Fortunately, the plan was to pick up #3 from her spring break camp and hit the slides and hot tub at Lifetime. I think this was my best recovery workout ever.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. Brokey (semi-smokey) mile

by , March 14th, 2012 at 11:03 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    I certainly swam times that the clock said were OK, but I still was feeling pretty smoked/burnt for my broken mile test set:

• Warmup sets (1500):
      • 1 x 300: 50 free, 200 IM k/d, 50 free
      • 5 x 150: on 2:30, Indiana IMs
      • 5 x 50: on 0:45, descend to target 1500 pace (0:34), went pretty much 0:33 to 0:35
      • 2 x (4 x 25): on 0:30,
        • 25s in sets of 4 (DPS, spin, Fast from blocks, float)

• Broken Mile:
      • 3 x 50 - 2 x 100 - 2 x 150 - 1 x 200 - 2 x 150 - 2 x 100 - 3 x 50 on 1:30/100 pace
      • Aim to hold 1:08s for target 17:00 1500 time
      • Add up was 17:15, which was an improvement over last month's 17:22+ and January's 17:34+, but it felt so crummy and sloppy that I'm not all that happy with it

• 6 x 50: 2 each pull free on 0:40, 0:45, 0:50
    • I then intended to do 8 x 50 w/long fins kick, but only got through 4 before my legs just cramped too much

TOTAL: 3,500 SCM

Commentary:

• 6 weeks and 1 day before Nationals ... plenty of time to get the fried feeling out of my weary muscles
    Tags: broken mile
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  20. Stoked and smoked

by , March 13th, 2012 at 09:55 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    Stoked -- -- my oldest daughter, who inherited Canadian citizenship from my wife made her Canadian Olympic Trials time in the 800 free this past Sunday up at Sectionals in Federal Way. This was a goal she set for herself at the end of last summer, so it was sooo cool to see her make it. Like most other countries, Canada holds its trials well before the Games, so she'll turn around and swim this at the end of March in Montreal at the '76 Olympic pool. This will be a cool experience for her ... and me and my wife!

Smoked -- I thought taking yesterday off would allow me to recover from Sunday's racing, but apparently not. I think the 6 starts took more of a toll on my back and legs than I anticipated: I was super-creaky and sore in my core class this morning and then managed only 2,300 SCM this evening before I decided to throw in the towel for the day.

Broken 1500 tomorrow, though, so hopefully a good night sleep will remedy my body.