View RSS Feed

swimsuit addict

About a year after beginning this blog, I got interested in open-water swimming, and it's been my passion ever since. Here's a list of some swims I've done.

1. Swim + ballet

I swam again at lunch today with the team. Heres what I did:

700 scy warmup

5 x 150 (75 ST ez/m/f, 75 FR f/m/ez) @ 2:45 [did the last 50 of each kick]

Chalk talk on FR and BK entry and exit

4 x (100 BK @ :30 rest, 200 IM @ :30 rest), odd sets EZ focusing on technique, even sets fast

200 warmdown

I like the technique-focused chalk talks we gettheyre about 5 minutes long, and always give me something good to focus on during the rest of the workout (and often the rest of the week and beyond). I know I should be focusing on technique keys while I swim in any case, but my attention is prone to wandering to other stuff going on in the pool, and the chalk talks help it find its way back to more pertinent matters.

Tonight I did ballet class, which always leaves me happy and energized. We did lots of jumping. I need to stretch my legs out well tonight and tomorrowlast week they stayed really tight after ballet for several days.

Good luck to all you colonists and others doing meets this weekend!

Tags: ballet, noon
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. I worked hard this morning

This morning I swam the early longcourse workout with AG masters. My legs already felt fatigued after ballet class last night, and this IM-heavy workout made them even more so. But I love LCM IMs so muchtheyre worth tiring out my legs for. Heres what we did:

600 LCM warmup

500 FR breathing 3/5/7 by 50s [I just did 400 of this]

6 x 100 @ :20 rest: odds = ST (50 drill / 25 K / 25 S), evens = FR desc. [1:34, 1:28, 1:24]

6 x 100 FR @ 1:45, desc. 1-3 and 4-6 [26, 24, 22, 34, 26, 21]
    200 FR moderate
    5 x 150 @ :15 rest, odds = 200 IM FR, evens = FR
    200 FR moderate
    4 x 200 IM @ :15ish rest [3:22, 3:27, 3:26, 3:21]
    200 FR fast [2:46!]

350 warmdown

Afterwards, I was slow in the locker room, and got reminded how much of a difference taking the cross-town bus 10-15 minutes later in the morning makes. At 7:40 or so, the bus is uncrowded and reasonably quick; when it gets nearer 8, there are tons more commuters, plus school kids, and everyone is packed in and anxious about being late, plus the streets are more trafficky to boot. If I want to dawdle warming down and changing after weekday morning practices here, I just need to be prepared to walk homeit would probably be just as quick, and far more pleasant!
    Tags: ballet, ims, lcm
    Categories
    Uncategorized