Blog Comments

It is a crazy pool, and it's probably crazier still to swim there when on its BEST days it's still underground, dimly lit, and only 5 lanes. But this pool and I go back a ways now, and I've grown inexplicably fond of it.
    Sounds like a CRAZY pool!
    Counting strokes--I do this because it helps me focus on (1) catching water with each stroke and (2) keeping my turnover high. When I start getting tired, I tend to get very efficient at getting my hands through the water, and less good at actually using them to propel the rest of me. Somehow, chanting "one two three . . ." to myself seems to automatically change my focus to making each stroke count for something. So in that sense, it's a shortcut key--what I'm actually focusing on isn't the same thing as what I'm seeking to accomplish.

I think it also gives me some sense that the swim is actually finite, and that I'm making progress towards being done, and that's a comfort when things start hurting at the end of sprints!
    How come you count strokes on the second lap of your 50 back?
    Hi Bobinator,
    I'm still looking for that techsuit that makes me feel like a superhero--once I find it I'm wearing it EVERYWHERE! (Til then I'll have to be content with tying a towel around my neck.)
    May you leap tall buildings and fly at the speed of sound at your next meet!
    I like your logic on the suits, it would look great on a T chart.
    I would definitely go the BS route. I'm going to wear mine till it's illegal. I hope I wear it out!
    I feel comfy in mine......it almost makes me feel like a super-hero!
    Hi Jim, Yes, this is based on Chris's most excellent swim ratings calculator. My orignial post that graphed my best ratings for each event was on 11/9. I just discovered the whole ratings thing last week and am having fun having more numbers to play with!
    And no, I didn't really factor the changing suit technology into the equation. I've only worn the latest generation for tech suit for 2 of my best ratings, both in 08, so I don't think it would make that much difference to my graph. Besides, there are limits to how meticulous I'm willing to be (I read and took to heart your posting about lowering standards)!
    Interesting analysis. I need to go back and read the earlier blog, but I am assuming you are using some kind of age-graded system (Chris's?) to compute your best times here.

If so, I think this is a really good idea, and one that I think I should try out myself, given that I am feeling a bit in a swimming rut these days.

One thing that may or may not apply to your situation is the impact of racing suits on this. How can you compare, for example, a b70 time at 56 with an aquablade time at 50 with a Pro time at 54?

Oh, well...

Perhaps, as a swimsuit addict, you know these things!
    Thanks PWolf. I thought I was just cutting and pasting an image, but now I see that it's actually a URL. I downloaded the file as an jpeg and a png picture to my computer, but was unable to paste either into an edited blog entry, so I guess I'll just leave the URL for now.
    Janet, one drawback to putting the URL as the link is that your graph might get deleted from that site.
    Hey Fortress,
    Yeah, I had to input all the ratings into the graph program, but that was the easy part. It took less than 5 minutes. It was figuring out my best ratings for each event that ate up time. It involved going through all my past times (back to 1998) to pick out the ones that might rate best, then figuring out what age I was when I swam each of them, and entering all that into the calculator to come up with the top rating for each event. That took about half an hour.
    New York Road Runners includes an age-graded rating similar to these for all the times in their database. It would be cool if USMS did so for their swim times database!
    I think this is too hard for me ... Did you have to re-enter all the ratings into the kid graph site?
    Fascinating! I'm going to try that too.

I think the short axis strokes are just harder to maintain with perfect form and tempo as distance increases.
    Thanks Fortress, that's some good advice.
    And yes, I do think my team is great! The wine tasting was a lot of fun!
    Happy swimming to you,
    Janet
    Team wine tasting? Sounds like a great team!

Definitely recommend some start work, but don't do a zillion of them right before your meet or your legs will be toast at the meet.
    Thanks Bobinator! Actually, when I was swimming it today, I was thinking that 75s--25 wrong way/50 right way--might be even better, as the second 25 of each 50 was feeling awfully short. But either way, enjoy!
    Janet
    I really like the wrong way/right way set! That's a brilliant idea! I'm going to try it tonight.
    Thanks Bobinator! I actually used a pretty sturdy-seeming striped grosgrain ribbon on mine, and it hasn't suffered any noticable fading or deterioration (except the cut ends, which have unraveled a bit.) Silk ribbon or other delicate materials would probably not be advisable.

Gigi--In the past I've decorated swim paddles by writing all the stroke corrections I've gotten from swim coaches on them. Soon I needed bigger paddles!
    I "decorate" my pull buoy with the combination to my current padlock...I've lost a lot of these over the years so there are a lot of numbers on there
    Great idea SA!
    I'm afraid the chlorine will eat the ribbons up fairly fast.
    Or else fade the ribbons quickly.