Blog Comments

What a great write-up, thanks for sharing! Very cool picture as well, I poked around and found it in its original gallery:
    http://h2oshots.smugmug.com/Sailing/...5794&k=kKbnFWh
    It has a button to buy it if you would like a cool memento of your swim.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    You should take another trip out here, we swim outside year-round
    You'd probably be fine in our lakes now too, water temps are in the low 60s.

Are you doing SCAR? Sounds like there's a good group. Unfortunately, I'll be out of town. But I do want to look at a few o/w options this year, including something in NYC
    Ha! I thought of your workouts when I was down in FL and swimming outdoors, with tons of space. One day at practice we did sprints off the blocks, and since we all had our own lane we could do them as 1 heat. Sweet!

I'm not doing SCAR this year--I'm sure it will be great, Kent does a such a super job putting it on. I think I will be mostly sticking closer to home this summer and doing events close by. There's a 5M cold water swim in early May in CT, then stage 6 of 8B, and after that I'm not sure. There's tons of things to choose from if you want to do something in or near the city!
    You should take another trip out here, we swim outside year-round
    You'd probably be fine in our lakes now too, water temps are in the low 60s.

Are you doing SCAR? Sounds like there's a good group. Unfortunately, I'll be out of town. But I do want to look at a few o/w options this year, including something in NYC
    Quote Originally Posted by flystorms
    How fun and interesting to "play" with the jellies! I fear those things, but it sounds like you had a good time with them.
    By the time I started playing with them I had had enough contact with them to be confident they weren't the stingy kind--I definitely stay away from those!
    How fun and interesting to "play" with the jellies! I fear those things, but it sounds like you had a good time with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by mgemelli
    I'm signed up for Stage 5, maybe I'll see you out there (hopefully not because I'm still swimming!)

"On the first round of this set I didn't make all the FR timesI was -3, +1, +3, and +3 seconds on my 50/100/150/200 intervals.
    I didnt think I could work harder on the second round, so I focused on finding what I could relax while still going fast, and that worked--I was able to go -2/-1/0/0."

Amen to that! It has taken me a few years to realize what you state above. I never fail to be surprised when I swim faster by relaxing and focusing on being long and strong with good form.

PS - Just a little bit of yoga keeps my body happy.
    Kudos on signing up for the challenging stuff! You're going to rock Stage 5.
    I feel like the relaxing stuff is something I have to learn over and over.
    I'm signed up for Stage 5, maybe I'll see you out there (hopefully not because I'm still swimming!)

"On the first round of this set I didn't make all the FR timesI was -3, +1, +3, and +3 seconds on my 50/100/150/200 intervals.
    I didnt think I could work harder on the second round, so I focused on finding what I could relax while still going fast, and that worked--I was able to go -2/-1/0/0."

Amen to that! It has taken me a few years to realize what you state above. I never fail to be surprised when I swim faster by relaxing and focusing on being long and strong with good form.

PS - Just a little bit of yoga keeps my body happy.
    That sounds pretty magical!
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    I hope your backy-whacky becomes okey-dokey.
    Thanks! Things are definitely looking better than they did over the weekend!
    I hope your backy-whacky becomes okey-dokey.
    Thanks everyone! I've grown to really enjoy swimming in cooler water--it's such a neat feeling to sense the cold all around, but to be able to generate enough warmth to stay toasty inside. there are definitely physical aspects to cold water acclimation--like any aerobic activity, your body learns where to direct bloodflow to perform most efficiently--but I think doing it enough that you're very confident you can is also key. Once there's no longer any fear of the cold, it's just about sensation, and I actually find the sensation of swimming in the cold, and of the rewarming process, pleasant and interesting.

But we all have our limits--ten degrees cooler and things turn painful for me, but I know people who relish those extreme temps as well! Maybe I'll get there one day too.

Gigi, I saw that drill, and it made me realize that I do spend a lot of my backstroke exhaling bubbles. I paid attention to it yesterday in the pool.
    Sounds lovely!
    I just read a thing in the USMS magazine about submerging during backstroke - and I was focusing on that today too. I think your view was better!
    I can't comprehend how one can concentrate on the peace described while swimming in 50F water - I would be fighting to survive. Maybe the temperature is part of the beauty? Maybe someday I'll have the courage to experience for myself.
    Yes! guess warmer would be a little better, but no ice sounds great.
    WOW! Sounds perfect!
    Quote Originally Posted by gigi
    I may just lift this workout for my next trip to the pool. I'm just starting back this week after a 2-month layoff from swim, so I won't do the whole thing on one day. Love the variety.
    When my daughter was a kid she took an archery class & I'm not a "hover and watch" kind of mom so I would walk a three-mile loop around the area. The last mile was a straight-arrow stretch with a wide sidewalk and I would practice my eyes-closed walking technique. Good times. Never tried it in the pool though.
    As always, SSA, you're an inspiration!
    Gigi! So nice to hear from you! I'm glad you're back in the pool now--I know you must be too.

I've only tried the eyes-closed experiment in the 100-meter pool I sometimes swim at in the summer, which has no lane lines. Results were mixed there. I did learn that I can sense when someone is standing right in front of me without seeing them--something makes me instinctively draw back before I collide with them.

I was recently surprised to find out that one of the swimmers at my workouts swims freestyle mostly with closed eyes, opening them just when he approaches the walls. (How do I know this? One of my fellow coaches was watching his stroke, noticed his eyes were squeezed shut, and asked him about it). Even though we typically have 4-6 people per lane, there are no collisions. I'm not confident enough to try that yet!

I'll have to see how I fare walking--I've never tried that. I do remember that my PT once had me march in place for a couple of minutes with my eyes shut, and when I stopped I had rotated about 90 degrees left. I forget what the point of that was.
    I may just lift this workout for my next trip to the pool. I'm just starting back this week after a 2-month layoff from swim, so I won't do the whole thing on one day. Love the variety.
    When my daughter was a kid she took an archery class & I'm not a "hover and watch" kind of mom so I would walk a three-mile loop around the area. The last mile was a straight-arrow stretch with a wide sidewalk and I would practice my eyes-closed walking technique. Good times. Never tried it in the pool though.
    As always, SSA, you're an inspiration!
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    My daughters age group practice group does this as a breaststroke drill pretty frequently. They use the width of the lane as the distance to come up, glide and dive forward under the lane line. It's cool because it forces you to glide and dive.
    Oh good! Now I can explain to the lifeguards that I am doing a serious, purposeful drill, not just finding new ways of goofing around in the water!
    My daughters age group practice group does this as a breaststroke drill pretty frequently. They use the width of the lane as the distance to come up, glide and dive forward under the lane line. It's cool because it forces you to glide and dive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sojerz
    Safe trip and enjoy those warm gulf waters. The hot water pipe to our upstairs master bath froze last night (didn't break and thawed by noon) and it was 6F when I left for the gym this AM. To top it off, someone posted on my fb page a prediction of a mid-Atlantic blizzard with 24"-34" of snow for 2/8-2/10 - hope they are joking. Nice intervals for the 200s and 50s stroke. If Dist = Vel x Time, then "V x D" = V^2 x T or D^2/T, neither are dimensionally relevant; where are you headed with this physics? We want stories of marine encounters and warm water asap!
    Thanks for the good wishes! I made it to Alabama just fine, then drive down to the beach tomorrow. This winter has been crazy all over--I certainly hope there are no huge blizzards headed your way!

V x D: not physics equations, but my main set in Roman numerals.

I'll do my best to scare up some good ow swim stories over the next month!
Page 2 of 102 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast