Blog Comments

Safe trip and enjoy those warm gulf waters. The hot water pipe to our upstairs master bath froze last night (didn't break and thawed by noon) and it was 6F when I left for the gym this AM. To top it off, someone posted on my fb page a prediction of a mid-Atlantic blizzard with 24"-34" of snow for 2/8-2/10 - hope they are joking. Nice intervals for the 200s and 50s stroke. If Dist = Vel x Time, then "V x D" = V^2 x T or D^2/T, neither are dimensionally relevant; where are you headed with this physics? We want stories of marine encounters and warm water asap!
    Quote Originally Posted by swimsuit addict
    Maybe you should host the Superbowl, then?!

Enjoy! I hope that it's actual snow and not the dreaded "wintry mix." I think temps are supposed to climb back to reasonable numbers by the time I head back down there later this week.
    I think here it's going to be freezing rain that may turn to snow later. Sounds lovely!
    Quote Originally Posted by ekw
    Down in your ancestral homeland, we've got a snow day tomorrow!
    Maybe you should host the Superbowl, then?!

Enjoy! I hope that it's actual snow and not the dreaded "wintry mix." I think temps are supposed to climb back to reasonable numbers by the time I head back down there later this week.
    Down in your ancestral homeland, we've got a snow day tomorrow!
    Love the math set. I'll have to try it sometime, although usually I have trouble remembering straight intervals, let alone prime and perfect numbers!
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    that's very odd that the pool heaters can't keep up with those temps. is it an old facility?
    it gets even colder here in AZ, and the heaters at the pools keep them nice and warm. heck, I remember swimming at Scottsdale Eldorado when the air temp about 25F once, and the pool temp was still around 85F (and that's certainly not a new facility).
    maybe they have super-duper heaters here?

do you ever see anyone before/after you swim in the Gulf? I'd imagine you're the talk of the town when you're there
    Nope, it's a fairly new facility--opened in 2006. I think the heating system was designed to handle cold snaps, because every winter the folks at the pool seem shocked and somewhat panicked when a few cold days drop the pool temps below the desired 83 degrees. Sometimes the problem is with getting or keeping the pool covers on in high winds. The pool's heating/cooling system is complicated, and is designed to take advantage of the area's underground springs, which are supposedly a constant 64 or 68 degrees. That's great for cooling the water in the summer, but I don't think it helps raise the pool temp from 78 to 81, say. I've asked multiple times how this system works but still don't quite understand it.

People do ask me how the water is when I'm getting in or out of the gulf, and some regular beach walkers recognize me as "the swimmer."

Congrats on your 100 100s!
    that's very odd that the pool heaters can't keep up with those temps. is it an old facility?
    it gets even colder here in AZ, and the heaters at the pools keep them nice and warm. heck, I remember swimming at Scottsdale Eldorado when the air temp about 25F once, and the pool temp was still around 85F (and that's certainly not a new facility).
    maybe they have super-duper heaters here?

do you ever see anyone before/after you swim in the Gulf? I'd imagine you're the talk of the town when you're there
    Updated January 4th, 2014 at 04:55 PM by aztimm
    Quote Originally Posted by thewookiee
    PCB would seem to be the closet beach to them. Sewanee has an interesting fact about the school. They were one of the original founding members of the southeastern conference.

I have never swam in their pool but it is suppose to be pretty nice.
    Sometimes when people ask me who my SEC team is I say Sewanee, just to be a smart aleck.
    PCB would seem to be the closet beach to them. Sewanee has an interesting fact about the school. They were one of the original founding members of the southeastern conference.

I have never swam in their pool but it is suppose to be pretty nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by thewookiee
    Is that the Sewanee from Tennessee?? If that is the team, Panama City Beach is a major improvement from Monteagle, TN. Even if the weather is bad in PCB, it still better than the backwoods of the University of the South.
    Yep, it's definitely that Sewanee (is there another)? I think they're the only college team visiting this year. Last year there were 4. This is probably the closest viable beach/pool destination within driving distance for them--and the PCB nightlife scene, even in winter, seems like it's been a draw.
    Is that the Sewanee from Tennessee?? If that is the team, Panama City Beach is a major improvement from Monteagle, TN. Even if the weather is bad in PCB, it still better than the backwoods of the University of the South.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Sounds like a great swim!

Sometimes I really like our winter morning swims. The water feels nice and warm, you can see the steam rising as the covers come off. And you can see some fantastic sunrises!
    But as you said, getting out can be a bit difficult. That walk/run to the locker room seems especially long. Thank goodness there are hot showers!

Have you worked out your o/w schedule for 2014 yet? I'm toying with my schedule, but if you have any in mind, I may do some of those.
    Those morning swims are worth Evan a cold and windy walk (or run!) back to the locker room. And you do have a swim parka don't you?

i have no idea yet what 2014 will hold for me--for right now I'm just enjoying the training, and hope that I will eventually be in shape for whatever catches my eye!
    Sounds like a great swim!

Sometimes I really like our winter morning swims. The water feels nice and warm, you can see the steam rising as the covers come off. And you can see some fantastic sunrises!
    But as you said, getting out can be a bit difficult. That walk/run to the locker room seems especially long. Thank goodness there are hot showers!

Have you worked out your o/w schedule for 2014 yet? I'm toying with my schedule, but if you have any in mind, I may do some of those.
    Hard hearted Hannah, the vamp of Savannah strikes again.
    Quote Originally Posted by pool tourist
    So glad you are enjoying yourself down there. Does the pool still have HANNAH markings on the bottom?
    It does! I looked today and found it, although it's not as noticeable now among all the other names etched down there--at first I mistook a Savannah for HANNAH.
    So glad you are enjoying yourself down there. Does the pool still have HANNAH markings on the bottom?
    Sorry you had a bad experience here. Thanks for reminding me that it's the swimming and the fun that's important!
    yea i lived in the metro area and was a member of that lsmc and i got the impression it was a wee bit wacky ... a few years ago i had asked about updating the records and volunteered to help and was told to drop it ... since then i moved down south i just switched to another lsmc ( though still in ny ) and it appears to be well orgainized and a whole lot friendlier ! ... life is to short to and swimming to much fun to bother with that garbage
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    What's the bylaw issue or don't you even want to get into it?
    Nothing deserving this level of drama, that's for sure! The forbidden flyer mentioned that under the new bylaws voting for LMSC officers and voting on future bylaw changes would be done by the board rather than by members, and that members would generally have less say in LMSC doings. The email I got from my team said that large teams' (like ours) representation on the board would be significantly reduced.

In any case, the truth is that the animosity predates the proposed bylaws. Metro has had issues for a while. The national office is aware of the difficulties, and earlier this year sent the USMS President and VP of Local Operations to one of the board's meetings. I'm a late and unwilling guest at this party and don't rightly know the genesis of things, but last night seemed more an escalation than a step in the right direction--asking that the police be called to stop swimmers from handing out flyers to other swimmers seemed really over the top. (Cops did indeed stop by, talked to the LMSC chair and another executive committee member, observed those handing out flyers for a few minutes, then left.) What a mess!
    Updated December 9th, 2013 at 02:31 PM by swimsuit addict
    Quote Originally Posted by ekw
    Wow, that LMSC stuff sounds horrible!
    It is--and all over masters swimming administration! It's so absurd, it would be funny if it weren't so sad.
Page 3 of 102 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast