Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by swiminny
    Janet - you are an inspiration to the entire team! I loved watching you dive, you are so elegant (and brave). As always you had the happiest attitude of any athlete at IGLA. The open water swim was lovely, I'm so glad I went and thanks for convincing Andrew to swim with us! You all did us proud in the lake.

But biggest thanks for your enthusiasm for relays - loved swimming with you. I'll be trying to convince you on Cleveland.
    Awwww, thanks! I love swimming relays, especially with you! It was a little hectic having relays overlap with diving warmups, but it ended up being a positive thing, as taking a break to swim with friends kept me from fretting even more about the upcoming diving!

It's so much fun doing these events with a big team--it's easy to stay happy and upbeat when you're surrounded by great people and getting to watch and cheer on wonderful performances by teammates in practically every heat!
    Janet - you are an inspiration to the entire team! I loved watching you dive, you are so elegant (and brave). As always you had the happiest attitude of any athlete at IGLA. The open water swim was lovely, I'm so glad I went and thanks for convincing Andrew to swim with us! You all did us proud in the lake.

But biggest thanks for your enthusiasm for relays - loved swimming with you. I'll be trying to convince you on Cleveland.
    Thanks everyone for the kind words! It was indeed an awesome and exhausting week!

Tim, I'm strongly leaning towards GG in Cleveland next year. We could combine it with a trip to Columbus, where my husband has family. But I haven't made up my mind for sure yet--Montreal and College Park are also attractive August meets. And no, I didn't give James a hard time about wearing a wetsuit! I'm fine with everyone wearing whatever makes them happiest in OW, as long as attire is noted in results, as it was here.

Andrew, it was great to see you too! And I do want to come back. My swim in the sound was delightful but not nearly long enough!

Patrick, one of the cool things about IGLAs is that they assume participants will want to stay in the city center, and frequent shuttles to the competition venues are included in the entry fee. That was the case not just here, but in DC (College Park pool), Toronto (Etobicoke), Chicago (U. Of C), and Reykjavik. That said, I ended up staying in Federal Way on this trip, and was glad I did--a quiet and boring home base was just what I needed, and reverse-commuting into Seattle for social events at night was super easy.

Frank, I would love to do synchro next year! I'm pestering my team to add a coach and practices.
    Kudos! Sounds like it was a blast!
    Like Patrick, I'm exhausted reading this! What a whirlwind week. I'm still so impressed you have taken on diving. Love reading about your thoughts and experiences. Go you!!!
    Wow... a lot of stuff happened during the week. Glad you had fun! Congratulations.

And Tim, the water was cooler in Lake Washington than normal pool temps, so that is "wetsuit eligible". THough I probably could've survived without one. The burn on my neck from the wetsuit is almost healed a week later. I guess that's my punishment.
    What a comprehensive event report! Your words inspire to me a vision of having been there myself. Thanks for sharing what was a fantastic experience for you! What a diverse competitor you are with pool events, diving and OW swimming. Maybe next time you will also do synchronized swimming with a really creative and awesome swim suit. It seems that the 2013 IGLA Championship in Seattle was wonderful and memorable time for everyone there, and I am so glad you were able to go. Congratulations to you many times over!
    Janet, I'm exhausted just reading about this. I really love Seattle and, though I've only watched meets there, like the intimate yet big time feel of the pool at Federal Way. The only bummer about Fed Way is that it's not downtown; it seems like the organizers figured most people would want to stay in the fun city and race in the cool pool rather than stay in (boring, I think) Fed Way.
    It was wonderful having you here! Thank you so much for encouraging me to do the meet. I miss having someone to organize improv openwater synchro. And you're right, sunsets at Alki NEVER get old.

Come back again soon!
    That sounds like an incredible week of aquatic activities! Between all of the swimming, diving, the o/w swim...and of course the other activities I'm sure you're exhausted! But great job on doing everything, especially for taking on the diving. Sometimes when I swim evenings at Kino there will be a dive group there, and I'm always amazed how graceful they look. Heck, I'm kinda terrified just jumping off of the 3m board.

So how close were you to #1 in the o/w race? And I hope you gave James a hard time for wearing a wetsuit
    (did he join in the synchro after?)

The Gay Games are in the Cleveland area next year, and I'm really hoping to go. Along with swimming, I'd like to do some biking...and possibly even the triathlon. Are you planning on going to that too? With my brother in the area, I can swing a visit with family at the same time (and possibly get some people cheering for me, if I want).
    I'd love to go to IGLA sometime too

Awesome! That sounds like so much fun. I saw some of your diving pictures on Facebook and I am super impressed.
    If you've never been, I highly recommend the Museum of Flight. It is close to the Sea-Tac airport. If you're remotely into planes/aviation/aircraft, it is a must see.

Actually if you have a few hours to kill, go to the Museum of Flight. When you're done, continue on the freeway south to Tacoma. Follow signs for the Tacoma Narrows Bridge. Take that, then follow the road all the way up to Bremerton. Then drive your car onto the ferry, back to Seattle. If it is a clear day, you'll be rewarded with some amazing views on the ferry. Plus the drive is pretty interesting too. Note--they do close the Narrows bridge if it is too windy.

Otherwise, sounds like you'll have quite a busy schedule. I wish I could have gone...but as it happens I have work meetings next week so I'm glad I didn't plan on it anyway. Maybe some day I'll get to IGLA.
    Quote Originally Posted by pool tourist
    Having never heard of wedge blocks, I am smiling as I picture our pretty TNYistas starting in high-heel wedges and LOVING it!
    Ha! Love it. That might be more Pink Flamingo territory though!
    Quote Originally Posted by ekw
    Fun!

I found the adjustment to the wedge block at Georgia Tech pretty easy. What I did was stand on the block in my usual ready position, which is track start with my feet. When the starter said take your mark, I got my hands into the regular track start position and moved my right foot back onto the wedge. After that, it was the same.
    Thanks--that's good to know!
    Having never heard of wedge blocks, I am smiling as I picture our pretty TNYistas starting in high-heel wedges and LOVING it!
    Fun!

I found the adjustment to the wedge block at Georgia Tech pretty easy. What I did was stand on the block in my usual ready position, which is track start with my feet. When the starter said take your mark, I got my hands into the regular track start position and moved my right foot back onto the wedge. After that, it was the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Good luck with all of that! You'll have a great time like always. I was going to come over for a swim day originally, but couldn't work out the days off at work, plus the entrance fee for the IGLA meet is a bit steep as well. I thought about the OW event, and am still thinking about it. We'll just have to see.
    Entry fees for IGLA were steep! That tends to be the case at IGLA championships wherever they're hosted, not just Seattle. On the upside, entry includes amenities like transportation between downtown and the meet venue, some social events, etc. that definitely make it a better value for out-of-towners coming for the whole event than for locals or those wanting to make it a one- or two-day meet.

(Also, the fee structure is the same for swimming, polo, diving, and synchro--and a swim meet, especially one run as 2x scm rather than lcm, uses pool space more efficiently than those other sports.)

hope you decide to come to the OW! it would be great to meet you. And thanks for the starting block advice--I was not even considering that I didn't have to use the wedge if I didn't want to. But I would like to at least try it!
    Any advice on starting from wedge blocks? What do you do differently from a regular track start?
    When I swim at Federal Way, I don't actually use the wedges. I just move it all the way back, and still do my normal track start without the aid of the wedge. I don't practice with it, so I don't try to change anything at a meet like that.
    Good luck with all of that! You'll have a great time like always. I was going to come over for a swim day originally, but couldn't work out the days off at work, plus the entrance fee for the IGLA meet is a bit steep as well. I thought about the OW event, and am still thinking about it. We'll just have to see.
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewmalinak
    Cold, clear water is the way to go.
    I'm so with you on that! Enjoy it tomorrow!