Blog Comments

It was nice to finally meet you! You forgot to mention the cookies! They were great! And the kniche, the first from the food guy. I could get used to swimming with your group at Brighton

I'll get around to blogging my version eventually.
    I was so disappointed about the cancellation today!
    I had gone to bed early to get a good night's sleep for it when the automated phone call came. I am sure they made a good, prudent decision. Driving along the west side highway yesterday I saw lots of sticks and logs partially visible, floating in the opaque river. I was worried about swimming in it but looking forward to the event -- it was so much fun last year.

I hope it clears up before the Little Red Lighthouse!

Good luck tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by swimsuit addict
    Ha--you want me to be the Rosie Ruiz of marathon swimming!? I don't think my crew would put up with that, even if I were inclined to try.

(There's also the small matter of the boat and official observer that accompanies each swimmer. . . . not to mention the kayak--it might be hard to explain how I dropped my paddler along the way!)
    I'm surprised he didn't suggest you do the whole thing butterfly :-)

The last marathon I did had a little section that was down/back the same road. Was extremely tempting to skip all or part of that.
    When I was in the Army Reserve (before I was active), there were some very liberal interpretations of the 2-mile PT test run
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy
    Wow! I'm looking forward to reading the race report.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    I was impressed at the 8,000 yard swim...puts my swim from yesterday to shame. And now 17.5 miles, that's impressive!

Definitely looking forward to your posts about this!
    Thanks--I'm sure you'll get to hear about it in excruciating detail!

And no need to be impressed until I've actually managed to swim it!
    Quote Originally Posted by evmo
    Re: Ederle. Awesome! Looking forward to seeing you again.
    Looking forward to seeing you too Evan, and congratulating you in person on your Catalina swim!

Will you be staying in town long enough for a swim out at Brighton?
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    I think you should start the swim like normal...get around way ahead of the competition, and get in a boat. Hang out for a few hours and venture toward the finish line. Then at approximately the "right time" for you, hop back out of the boat about a mile from the end, and finish home strong like you're not even tired! Kinda like people try to do in the marathon runs.
    Ha--you want me to be the Rosie Ruiz of marathon swimming!? I don't think my crew would put up with that, even if I were inclined to try.

(There's also the small matter of the boat and official observer that accompanies each swimmer. . . . not to mention the kayak--it might be hard to explain how I dropped my paddler along the way!)
    I was impressed at the 8,000 yard swim...puts my swim from yesterday to shame. And now 17.5 miles, that's impressive!

Definitely looking forward to your posts about this!
    Re: Ederle. Awesome! Looking forward to seeing you again.
    This is a 17.5-mile journey
    I think you should start the swim like normal...get around way ahead of the competition, and get in a boat. Hang out for a few hours and venture toward the finish line. Then at approximately the "right time" for you, hop back out of the boat about a mile from the end, and finish home strong like you're not even tired! Kinda like people try to do in the marathon runs.
    "If triathlons were composed of swimming, eating, and napping, that would be my sport."

Yes indeed!
    My big news this week is that I have been accepted into the Ederle swim on October 1st. This is a 17.5-mile journey from Sandy Hook, NJ to Manhattan.
    Wow! I'm looking forward to reading the race report.
    We don't even have signs anything like that around here, and I see cows/horses/other forms of livestock all the time when we leave the area for trips.
    The "deer crossing" signs (and the "children playing" signs) around here don't seem to help much at all either. They both seems to run out across the roads at full speed without regard to anything coming down the road!!
    Yeah, we don't have signs like that in rural Alabama either, although you see plenty of cows (but none crossing the road unless they've somehow broken through their fences)! And I was pretty taken aback to see one in Red Hook, which was once an industrial waterfront area and still has abandoned warehouses and such. It turns out that it marks the Red Hook Community Farm, which is a large vegetable garden that was made by dumping a layer of topsoil atop an abandoned concrete playground. They have a weekly farm market and also sell CSA shares to anyone willing to make weekly pickups in Red Hook. (I don't think they actually have cows, but they're apparently thinking big for the future!)
    On the way I saw a sign for a cow crossingnot something you see every day here in the city
    We don't even have signs anything like that around here, and I see cows/horses/other forms of livestock all the time when we leave the area for trips.
    The "deer crossing" signs (and the "children playing" signs) around here don't seem to help much at all either. They both seems to run out across the roads at full speed without regard to anything coming down the road!!
    And the very good narration of the storyline makes it sound even more inviting as well!! Nice swimming!
    Thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    I always thought that SoCal had the best open water racing events judging by the frequency and number of ocean swims, but I stand corrected. It's clear that the NY/near NYC area has the lock on variety and 'cool factor' for OW racing. I gotta make it out east more often.
    The opportunities for OW swimming in these parts have really expanded over the last decade. CIBBOWS first started hosting races about 6 or 7 years ago; now they reliably have several each season, and seem to add some new and exciting swim to the calendar every year. NYCSwim has also been very successful in adding events and drawing swimmers to the waters around Manhatttan. There's just more and more to choose from--I agree it's very cool!

This is the 5th year that the Quassapaug swims have been held, and the first year I've made it up there, although I've wanted to go for awhile.

And yes, you should come out here for some swims!
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    I always thought that SoCal had the best open water racing events judging by the frequency and number of ocean swims, but I stand corrected. It's clear that the NY/near NYC area has the lock on variety and 'cool factor' for OW racing. I gotta make it out east more often.
    And the very good narration of the storyline makes it sound even more inviting as well!! Nice swimming!
    Quote Originally Posted by swimsuit addict
    That sounds majorly fun! HOw long did you lifeguard there?
    I was at the water park side of Dorney Park (the water park was called Wildwater Kingdom) for 1 season. I think I had 38 saves.

I also was a poolside bartender/lifeguard at the Holiday Inn in Hazelton, PA one summer (the hotel is now something else and the pool has been filled in). I was 23 at the time, had no idea how to make most of the drinks, but I quickly learned who the target audience was for the best tips.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Sounds like a great pool, and a nice workout to match it. Glad you're able to mix things up and see different parts of the city.

When I lifeguarded at a water park, a couple of us had a challenge to do every activity in the park over breaks one day. Was tough to squeeze it all in, but fun (if we were at the top of a slide and rotating to the bottom or going on break, we were supposed to go down anyway. It sometimes surprised groups when I'd jump in the large tubes with them.)
    That sounds majorly fun! HOw long did you lifeguard there?
    Sounds like a great pool, and a nice workout to match it. Glad you're able to mix things up and see different parts of the city.

When I lifeguarded at a water park, a couple of us had a challenge to do every activity in the park over breaks one day. Was tough to squeeze it all in, but fun (if we were at the top of a slide and rotating to the bottom or going on break, we were supposed to go down anyway. It sometimes surprised groups when I'd jump in the large tubes with them.)