Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Paul is a huge fan of hypoxic work and likely thinks it's good to test the lungs after a hard set.

I'm not a huge fan of core classes. But maybe they've improved since the last one I went to and walked out of. I think you can get more benefit by doing the advanced exercises on your own.
    He is a fan of hypoxic work, but not the endless 200s or 400s. I think these 'recovery' ones were breathe 3x or less per 25; not bad as a normal set, but tough for recovery.

Must have had you confused on the core classes. I just really want to see what they're all about, and if I learn a few new things all the better. My massage woman said I needed to do more core work, and not just abs, to help my back.
    I dig the garmin link. Very cool.
    Paul is a huge fan of hypoxic work and likely thinks it's good to test the lungs after a hard set.

I'm not a huge fan of core classes. But maybe they've improved since the last one I went to and walked out of. I think you can get more benefit by doing the advanced exercises on your own.
    Quote Originally Posted by Julie Roddin
    Wow, nice job running after the mexican and cake. I never could have done that! I had an incident at the track a few years ago after a bag of Oreos and 1200 meter repeats. Track workouts make me want to puke even without the cookies!

And nice GTD!
    Thanks, and maybe the food explains why my splits weren't consistent. It certainly wasn't a track workout, but the last bit (that I consider extra credit) making a loop around the freeway and along the lake I always take fast. Just deviating too much from regular diet can really impact an after-work workout (and I've even been hit in AM runs after calamari the night before).

GTD is pretty fun, I don't know why I haven't gotten into it before. I'll have to get in some extra workouts so I catch back up to you.
    Wow, nice job running after the mexican and cake. I never could have done that! I had an incident at the track a few years ago after a bag of Oreos and 1200 meter repeats. Track workouts make me want to puke even without the cookies!

And nice GTD!
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    For sure this seems to have been a good move. We've got advantage of some great Masters coaches in the Valley (Mark Rankin over at PSC is another one and Matt Rankin was when he coached Masters), but we also have a number who seem to just phone it in. I'd put Laura Winslow, Paul & Laura Smith up there as some of the best in the country.
    I definitely agree, we're spoiled by great coaches and good pools here. I've swam at Phoenix Swim Club a few times, and the Rankins are both good coaches. One coached at ASU for a few months around 2-3 years ago, until he got the gig out on the west side. And Laura used to coach at ASU also before she moved to Scottsdale.
    Not sure if you've ever swam a workout in Tucson, but Jim Stites is also a good coach. That was the first masters team I was a part of, and really my first swim team (other than an informal group in grad school).
    Paul and Laura both have such a passion for swimming, you sense it from just talking to them. Yea I'm getting in more yardage, but it isn't just garbage, some good quality too.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    I think that changing to Mesa really helped with your mileage for the year so far.
    For sure this seems to have been a good move. We've got advantage of some great Masters coaches in the Valley (Mark Rankin over at PSC is another one and Matt Rankin was when he coached Masters), but we also have a number who seem to just phone it in. I'd put Laura Winslow, Paul & Laura Smith up there as some of the best in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    I think that changing to Mesa really helped with your mileage for the year so far.
    I definitely agree. Just spending more time in the pool helps, not just with yardage/mileage but I feel like I'm getting faster. I'm able to swim on intervals now that were a struggle just 2-3 months ago.

Our Kino workouts seem to be 3500-4500 yards while at ASU it was nearly always 3000 or less. I do miss quality days, the high rest stuff, but I just need to move over to Laura's side of the pool for that.

Getting in a weekend workout helps too. My new goal is to get one in at least once a month. That will get easier when it gets warmer and I run earlier on Sundays. It would be great to find someone who lives near me so I could run to the pool, then ride home with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by swimsuit addict
    If all your teammates ever see you in is a solid color drag suit, you could really amaze them by showing up one day in a brightly colored patterned swimsuit. Maybe for April Fool's Day?--it is coming up soon!

(Just a thought . . . )

And yes, be sure to remind yourself that doing 10 x 100 @ 1:20 is pretty sweet!
    I rarely swim on Thursdays, so just showing up would almost be an April Fool's joke. But I think I have some unusual grab bag suits from way back I could break out sometime. The guys I swim with now are nearly 100% jammers only, and when I took off my drag suit during a set one time (and went considerably faster), it took them a while to figure it out.

Yea, reading through some other blog entries now is making me feel a little better. There are always going to be people faster (heck even Phelps isn't fastest at everything, he's not really a mile swimmer that I know of), and there will always be someone slower.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Par for the course for Paul

I have no idea, I do fast 100s so rarely from the blocks. I drop about six seconds from a push late workout compared to a meet.
    Just curious is all. Guess I could expect a 2-3 sec drop in a meet. I'm thinking of doing the Grand Canyon State games, don't yet know when/where, and I won't post anything else here about it until after it is over, if I do it. They have most swimming events 500 and under (not sure about 200s of the strokes), but as they take place in May-June are pretty low on most real swimmers' radar. Since I know Patrick won't be there to blow me away in anything, I can be free to experiment. Plus they charge per event -v- a flat fee like the real masters meets. I don't know if it is USMS sanctioned, and I don't really care, I'd just like to get some semi-meet times.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Unfortunately, I don't have much variety in my suits...usually just a mesh drag suit (2 now that I rotate between red and green), and a couple of regular suits under that sometimes never get seen.
    If all your teammates ever see you in is a solid color drag suit, you could really amaze them by showing up one day in a brightly colored patterned swimsuit. Maybe for April Fool's Day?--it is coming up soon!

(Just a thought . . . )

And yes, be sure to remind yourself that doing 10 x 100 @ 1:20 is pretty sweet!
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Actually Paul said something similar to me when he saw me wanting to do the fast 100, that I should do it before the main set. Of course telling me that after the main set doesn't help too much. But something to keep in mind.

How much of a drop do you see in your 100 scy free between workout and a meet?
    Par for the course for Paul

I have no idea, I do fast 100s so rarely from the blocks. I drop about six seconds from a push late workout compared to a meet.
    Quote Originally Posted by swimsuit addict
    Wow--that's a ton of 100s! I'm impressed with how many you were able to do on 1:20 (and how you didn't ever fall far off that interval, either).

I wouldn't take your 100 time from today as indicative of what you can ultimately do--you swam it after a ton of yardage, as well as some significant sprint work. Doing a 100 for time nearer the beginning of the workout, after you're thoroughly warmed up but before you're fatigued, might well yield a time you'd be much happier with.
    Thanks for the comments, and thanks for taking a look at my blog. I sometimes look at yours, and it is always fun to see the comments you have about the different suits. Unfortunately, I don't have much variety in my suits...usually just a mesh drag suit (2 now that I rotate between red and green), and a couple of regular suits under that sometimes never get seen.

Yea, I guess I was being a bit hard on myself, it is pretty tough to swim my best at the end of any workout, let alone one of 4000+ yards, especially where I pushed myself a bit. Holding 10 x 100 @ 1:20 is something pretty new to me, and I should be glad to say I did that.
    Maybe you should give up the idea of a sub 1:00 100 free at the end of a hard practice, but if Paul and Laura ever do a LT day for the sprinters, consider joining them for the first one before moving back to the distance lanes. Or consider doing all of the.

Your time will most likely benefit from a warm up then the fast swim. Maybe P&L would try a warm up, AFAP 100, hard main set, AFAP 100 and a cool down. It would be very telling of who really pushes themselves in workout. Even the Patrick's and Tom's are going to have their times drop off.

That may not be enough to get you to break 1:00, but it will get you in the 1:02 range.
    Actually Paul said something similar to me when he saw me wanting to do the fast 100, that I should do it before the main set. Of course telling me that after the main set doesn't help too much. But something to keep in mind.

How much of a drop do you see in your 100 scy free between workout and a meet?
    Wow--that's a ton of 100s! I'm impressed with how many you were able to do on 1:20 (and how you didn't ever fall far off that interval, either).

I wouldn't take your 100 time from today as indicative of what you can ultimately do--you swam it after a ton of yardage, as well as some significant sprint work. Doing a 100 for time nearer the beginning of the workout, after you're thoroughly warmed up but before you're fatigued, might well yield a time you'd be much happier with.

As for meets--I really enjoy the process of planning what I need to do to swim a particular race well, then working on all those components in practice, then trying to put them together at a specific time and place, typically under conditions that are closer to ideal than I ever swim at during workouts. It's this whole process, and the structure it gives my swimming, that makes doing meets appealing to me. (Yes, the meets themselves can be long, and conditions are sometimes prettty uncomfortable--but the more focused I am on particular goals, the less I notice that, and figuring out how to deal with such conditions becomes part of the "game" of prepping for the meet as well as I can). Since you seem pretty methodical and analytical about your training, I think you might enjoy this aspect of meet swimming as well.

And I'm truly sorry to hear you had a bad experience at the nationals you went to. I think you're right that 99 percent of swimmers at meets are good, supportive folks, but it's never fun to cross paths with that other 1 percent!

Good luck with your training and your sprinting!
    maybe I need to give up my goal of a sub 1-min 100 scy free.
    Maybe you should give up the idea of a sub 1:00 100 free at the end of a hard practice, but if Paul and Laura ever do a LT day for the sprinters, consider joining them for the first one before moving back to the distance lanes. Or consider doing all of the.

Your time will most likely benefit from a warm up then the fast swim. Maybe P&L would try a warm up, AFAP 100, hard main set, AFAP 100 and a cool down. It would be very telling of who really pushes themselves in workout. Even the Patrick's and Tom's are going to have their times drop off.

That may not be enough to get you to break 1:00, but it will get you in the 1:02 range.

I don't know what to tell you about the meet. You don't seem to be much of a pool competitor to me at the shorter distances, you really like "the race", and even 200s might be a little short for that. If I were to suggest 3 events for you based on your blog personality, I would recommend the 1650, the 500 and the 200 breast. That would give you the most time racing others. During a 50, you are just racing yourself, because you can't see anyone else. Open water would probably be much more enjoyable for you.

I don't think meets are for everyone. Kinda like running
    Ahem... Stationary biking...
    yea, so long as you have a Stationary bike at home. heck, we used to have a treadmill in the house, but I hated it.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Running is by far the most time efficient exercise.
    Ahem... Stationary biking...
    Running is by far the most time efficient exercise. Spring is so beautiful one forgets that running in pollen can be difficult. I walked outside today and my deck and picnic table were just covered with the stuff. Ew!