Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    A comment that will never, ever, ever cross my lips, "I'd love to just run 15 miles right now."

Not such a big fan of Rammstein, but I totally get the mellowing effect of hard & fast music. Sex Pistols works very well.
    Hey Patrick, well strange things will come out of one's lips when they're stressed. Probably some words not quite fit for publication were close to coming out of mine.

I had some friends in high school that were into Motorhead, Megadeath, and other some strange stuff. Can't remember how I found Rammstein, but since I can understand it (it isn't tough to understand tho), it immediately clicked for me. I've also been influenced by my brothers...one was into Black Sabbath and Judas Priest. I have quite an odd mix of music on my iPhone.
    A comment that will never, ever, ever cross my lips, "I'd love to just run 15 miles right now."

Not such a big fan of Rammstein, but I totally get the mellowing effect of hard & fast music. Sex Pistols works very well.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Great extension.
    I knew you'd have some feedback for me.

Laura's niece was there taking pictures and I thought she got a couple others with me in, but haven't seen them posted yet.
    you can see me, 2nd lane from the end, my arm sticking out under the tube slide
    Great extension.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Exactly. She wants to lose 85 pounds (almost 1/3 of her body weight) without, "any tough," exercise or changing her diet.

She doesn't look horrible, especially given her age; I think she's in her late 50s. But I think the whole thing is a last-ditch publicity stunt to try to prove she's still relevant. Heck if Betty White can still host SNL, maybe Kirsty's got a chance.

Interesting to note, when I looked up her bio, she is the only living cast member from Cheers to never appear on Frasier.
    I guess that Kelsey Grammer couldn't stand her. But, at the time, she was busy with the Look Who's Talking Movies and her NBC sitcom. Heck, didn't Shelley Long appear on Frasier even though everyone was happy to see her go in 84 or whenever she left.

Well, she must have some revelency or the tabloids wouldn't be buying photos of her inhaling in and out burgers from her car!
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    I saw part of her show. She is a mess. But, her face still looks good though and I don't think that she has been pulled back like Demi Moore.
    Exactly. She wants to lose 85 pounds (almost 1/3 of her body weight) without, "any tough," exercise or changing her diet.

She doesn't look horrible, especially given her age; I think she's in her late 50s. But I think the whole thing is a last-ditch publicity stunt to try to prove she's still relevant. Heck if Betty White can still host SNL, maybe Kirsty's got a chance.

Interesting to note, when I looked up her bio, she is the only living cast member from Cheers to never appear on Frasier.
    I saw part of her show. She is a mess. But, her face still looks good though and I don't think that she has been pulled back like Demi Moore.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    wow, you did a swim on Sunday. At least, you have close, hard practice option 7 days a week and located conveniently to your house.
    Yes, it is very nice having daily workouts available. I think Paul even had swim workout on Christmas day!

I think they are planning to use Rhodes as an extra warm-up facility for the 2011 nationals. Kino and Rhodes certainly aren't walking distance, but maybe a 15 min drive.
    wow, you did a swim on Sunday. At least, you have close, hard practice option 7 days a week and located conveniently to your house.
    Thanks for all the posts, and the back is much better now, I'd rate it an 8 out of 10 when it was a 2 or 3 yesterday. I'll post more in today's blog entry tonight (just a PITA typing on my iPhone).

Resting my legs entirely for a day may have had a positive side effect--my pulled quad seems better! The only exercise I did yesterday was walking from bed to home office. I did briefly go on the back patio to feed the stray cat that has been living there (we call her Scratchy).
    Sorry about your back Tim! I hope you heal fast
    Is there an online calculator that you used to figure out the pace?
    (Total Time in Minutes)*60+seconds
    ----------------------------------
    Distance/100
    In my research so far today on back spasms, it sounds like you pretty much have to let it run the course. Ice/anti-inflammatory meds help make it bearable.

This is what SwimStud does. He doesn't do full on rest, i.e., no exercise, as Matt notes. He still swims, just very cautiously for awhile.

Back problems really do suck. My sympathies.
    I am no stranger to back problems, so you have my sympathy. I've not found anything that really provides much relief, although I will say that rest does me no good. The more I fight it by walking around the sooner relief seems to come. Swimming is sometimes helpful, but if the back pain is altering my posture, swimming becomes difficult (and sometimes painful) as your body position is no longer as it should be. Good luck.
    1:20.56

Sorry about your back, that sucks. When you went to the gym I was thinking "I hope he just hangs from the pullup bar for a while."
    Didn't even think of that. Guess I can go to the gym and just do lots of pullups
    I've heard of people throwing out their back sneezing, but I really wish I had a better story. Bending to pick up my mesh bag really sounds fictitious, but it's true. I wonder if swimming 4100 yards (with mostly normal flip turns) after made it worse.

Is there an online calculator that you used to figure out the pace? I seem to just fall into a 1:20 per 100 pace for longer swims, not horrible I guess, but would be nice to get it lower. I guess the back could have made it slower. I held just under 1:20 for my hour swim 2 months ago.
    not sure what kind of pace that works out to....
    1:20.56

Sorry about your back, that sucks. When you went to the gym I was thinking "I hope he just hangs from the pullup bar for a while."
    I'm sure there is... I do put a little faith in my coaches too.
    No, sorry, I wasn't clear.

If you do not understand why you are doing a drill, the drill doesn't help you. Stop and ask because otherwise you are just going through the motions but not making the connection between the drill and how it relates to a corrected stroke.

Doing a drill for the sake of a drill is a waste of time. Drill's are not correct stroke technique, so if you finish a drill and don't follow up with full stroke focusing on whatever aspect of the full stroke the drill was supposed to emphasis, you just played in the water and didn't learn anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I think I need to do more Tennessee turns, but maybe at race pace, not during a slow 400.

They're supposed to help your walls, but they are hypoxically demanding.
    True, I've done them before, but usually just 50s or 100s. The 400 seemed to get longer and longer as we went...and slower and slower.
    There is no point to a drill that you don't understand the point of.
    I'm sure there is... I do put a little faith in my coaches too.
    I think I need to do more Tennessee turns, but maybe at race pace, not during a slow 400.

They're supposed to help your walls, but they are hypoxically demanding.