View RSS Feed

Running

Primarily a running workout

1. Thursday 12302010 swimming in flurries

by , December 30th, 2010 at 06:13 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    might have been against my better judgment, but I opted for the team workout this morning at Mesa Kino pool. It was setup SCY (I think all of the 8 or so who were there would have preferred LCM)

no covers, as it was extremely windy. the kiddie & warm-up pool had covers that were blown astray.

got in 700 during open w/u

600 swim w/Tennessee turns (and yes I actually did all Tennessee turns)

12 x 25 @ :10 rest
    --25 swim no breath/25 underwater/25 double arm back x 4

12 x 50 @ :10 rest
    --each 50 was 25 free/25 stroke (I did breast)

12 x 100 @ :10 rest
    --100 free/100 stroke (breast for me)/100 kick (mix of free and breast kicking with board)

(around this point Paul pointed out the snow flurries falling. the water was 80ish so they melted as soon as they hit the water, but it certainly felt odd swimming with snow in the air)

6 x 25 underwater kick @ :10 rest

around 200 'extra credit' working on my breast turns

100 w/d

total: 3850 yards

notes--
    * the air temp wasn't actually that bad, mid-40s. I've swum outside in worse. but it was quite windy, with a fairly steady drizzle, which then turned into snow flurries into the set
    * the other day (maybe yesterday?) I asked Paul what he thought my 200 SCY breast would be, and he said around 2:40 to 2:45. I just checked what I did at the 2003 nationals, my last SCY meet, and it was 2:43. something. so essentially I really haven't improved...but then again, I haven't really declined either.
    * more than 100 of Tennessee turns should be forever banned from USMS. I eventually learned to just take the middle part (the swimming part) especially easy, with as many breaths as I could. at the end, Paul told us that is exactly the point.
    * evidently I've been doing breast turns wrong forever. I learned to swim when I was around 4 or 5, and my breast still goes back to whatever I learned then. Paul had a gal (I don't remember her name) show me doing the turn with somehow putting my right arm over my head. Initially I didn't go deep enough (the first time not even enough to do a proper pullout), but I started to get the hang after a few times. I still refuse to do butterfly kicks on breaststroke (the principle of it).

I'm still hoping to get out for a run soon. It is quite windy, temp is around 47, but with a windchill of 38 (ouch). the dog needs some exercise, she's been a major pain the past few days. I can go to the gym, but I don't think they'd allow her...

did get out for a run. I must be completely insane...temp was 45F, with wind chills in the mid-30s. I broke out my cold-weather gear...a new Adidas long sleeve top, put on a sleeveless singlet under it, and even wore my new running gloves!

Here's the details--
    Time: 00:53:41
    Distance: 6.56 mi
    Elevation Gain: 7 ft
    Calories: 883 C
    Avg Pace: 08:10 min/mi
    Avg Moving Pace: 08:04 min/mi
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/61205441

* took the dog out with me along the Consolidated Canal near home, down to Paseo Vista park
    * the run down was near torture. It reminded me of running when I was in the Army in Korea...but here I had a choice?
    * at least when I got to the park, I was rewarded with some AMAZING views of Four Peaks, the Superstition Mountains, and other mountains north of town...all draped with SNOW! I could see the storm moving to the East, dropping even more snow.
    * the run back didn't seen nearly as long, or as windy as going south. the views are better (more mountains), and I didn't get stopped by traffic really at all.
    * I used my, "long run," playlist...simply wanted something mellow, thinking I'd just scrape by. I'll attach what came up.
    * when I saw my Garmin data I was simply amazed. I expected my trek southward to be around a 9 min/mile pace...while 8:22/8:23 isn't earth-shattering, on a day like today I'm shocked to see those as my slowest miles.

Updated December 31st, 2010 at 12:26 AM by aztimm

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Running
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	playlist_12302010.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	68.6 KB 
ID:	6561  
  2. Tuesday 12282010 workouts

by , December 29th, 2010 at 12:58 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    had a horrible time sleeping last night, and don't really know why. woke up at one point with a bad Charlie Horse throughout my right leg. usually I have to get up to pee once, but I think I got up 3x! (when I was in the Army they told us if we didn't go at least once that we weren't drinking enough water). I think I'll avoid the evil stair machine, at least until after my marathon.

anyway, I did sluggishly make it to swim workout this morning, with the team, Mesa Kino Aquatic Center (LCM)
    Paul was mostly solo on deck (Laura helped him with the covers, then led the kids in drylands next door)

got in 400 during open w/u

8 x 100...
    --1 to 4 @ 2:00, with a 25 fast as the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th 25, the remainder focus on form
    --5 to 7 @ 2:30, with a 50 fast as the first, middle, or last, remainder focus on form
    --8 was easy (I thought it would be all fast)

3 x 100, done 50 FAST, 50 recovery
    --1 I did from a push, still with my drag suit on, did 50 br in 46
    --2 I took off the drag suit and went off the block, another 50 br in 43
    --3 again went off the block but did free, 33

100 easy

2 x 100 FAST, blocks for both
    --1 breast in 1:28
    --2 free in 1:15

100 easy

100 FAST, block...breast in 1:33

400 w/d (put my drag suit back on)

total: 2400m

notes--
    * we had an unusually light group, some lanes had just 1 person, but I shared with Lacy. on the fast swims we went in heats so either she or I went, finished and waited until the other did before starting or doing an easy 50
    * my breast continued to amaze me today. I'd say I don't do enough of it, but I've done more in the last 4-6 weeks than I have since the summer. was shocked when I did that 1:28...a slower gal was in the next lane doing free and we had a good race. not sure what happened on my final 100...I didn't feel that much slower, but I didn't feel fast either. think I might have had a bad dive too.
    * it wasn't as bad diving as I thought it would be. air temp was around 45F, the water was 81 (Paul said). but on my last 100, when I hit the water if felt way too hot.
    * think my times are actually not too far off my LCM meet times from June. certainly makes me think twice about taking time away from team swimming.
    * I think I will make some effort to do a SCY meet sometime this spring and even brave the 200 breast, just for kicks. but I'll probably do a half marathon in PA on May 1, so won't do USMS nationals (maybe the 800 free if I get a sudden urge and can schedule my trip around it)

I was really dragging at work, so I made another iced tea with my stash of Starbucks Tazo tea I have in my office. that certainly did the trick, but also started to wreak havoc on my stomach. I almost didn't run, but thought I'd just go for something easy and see what happened.
    before I started, I heard noise at Sun Devil Stadium (across the river/lake), but I didn't really think anything of it.

anyway, the run details--
    Time: 01:11:18
    Distance: 8.47 mi
    Elevation Gain: 215 ft
    Calories: 1,137 C
    Avg Pace: 08:24 min/mi
    Avg Moving Pace: 08:20 min/mi
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/60966717

notes--
    * temp was around 60-65, felt a little chilly at first, but I quickly warmed up
    * looking at my splits, my first 4 miles were a bit slow, then I suddenly sped up at mile 5, again at my 7...and the last 1/2 mile was even faster
    * it was interesting running around the botanical gardens after going to the luminary event there last week. I was even able to hear some of the music while along the canal. but I did run into some traffic, both from that as well as zoo lights
    * did the extra credit leg...along the small canal next to the 202 freeway, returning along Town Lake. thought it odd that Sun Devil Stadium was all lit up...then I saw traffic backed up on the Rural Rd bridge..and then I realized that the Insight Bowl was going on.

after the run, I snapped this picture of the stadium from the Tempe marina--
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1816569820

thankfully I was able to avoid the bulk of the traffic. one of the advantages of being a local.

my 24 Hour Fitness membership came with 2 1-week passes. If anyone is coming out for nationals, renting a car, and would like one, shoot me a PM. there's a 24 Hour about 3 miles from Kino, with a SCM pool. inside, but I'd bet better than dealing with the warm-up conditions at the pool.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Running
  3. Sunday 12262010 run

by , December 26th, 2010 at 06:59 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    Hope everyone out there had a Merry Christmas if you celebrate it, or Happy Holidays!!!

I didn't do much of anything yesterday, not even the usual Saturday cleaning. I did walk the dog about 2 miles...weather was spectacular, high around 75 here, nice and sunny. Later in the day, I took her to the dog park so she could run some more. While relaxing after dinner, she looked quite dead, and for a while I was worried she wouldn't want to run this morning.

I got up somewhat early for my longish run this morning. My goal was 15-16 miles, the first of 4-5 long runs in training for my marathon in mid-Feb. If you talk to 4 different people about marathon training, you'll probably get 4 different answers on how they do it. As for me, my goal this go around is a gentle increase in my long runs, this week 15-16, next week around 17-18, week 3 around 19-20, then week 4 of 21-22 (I'm not looking forward to that, we're talking about 3 hours). Then I'll probably do another 20, before cutting down to 15, then tapering down to just 10 the week before my race.

Anyway, today's run--
    Time: 02:13:54
    Distance: 15.66 mi
    Elevation Gain: 16 ft
    Calories: 2,095 C
    Avg Pace: 08:32 min/mi
    Avg Moving Pace: 08:28 min/mi
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/60675933

notes--
    * temp wasn't too bad. around 50-55 when I started, dark still at first, then gradual sun as the sun rose. a slight breeze from the north, but nothing drastic
    * ran with the dog for the first 8 miles, her furthest yet! we ran up along the canal to around the intersection of Warner/Gilbert, crossed to the other side, then back home. she was pretty strong even at the end. any fears I had last night were totally unwarranted; this dog is full of energy!
    * after I dropped off the dog, I continued on the southern trek, went just past Ocotillo Rd, then back up, with a pit stop at the park at Octotillo/McQueen. As I approached Queen Creek Rd, I realized I'd be closer to 15 than 16 miles (if that), so I followed McQueen up to Tumbleweed park, and took Los Arboles trail from there back to the canal trail.
    * in reviewing my splits, I really ran too fast with the dog, and faded after that. but I knew that anyway, based on how I felt.
    * just after I crossed Ray Rd on the northbound leg with the dog, I passed a bunch of people coming south. not sure if there was a race going on, or just that many people running together. I've seen this happen before, in this general area.
    * in looking at my Garmin history, this was my longest run since July 4. although I run fairly regularly, unless I'm close to a race, I usually keep it around 13 to 15 miles.
    * I used my Christmas running playlist (I'll attach later). I thought some songs repeated, but could be they were on the playlist twice. anyway, when I had around 1/2 mile left, the last song finished, and nothing else played. I've never outrun a playlist before, and didn't know what would happen. I assumed it would continue to cycle through, playing songs a 2nd time, but evidently not.
    * felt pretty much ok most of the time. when I had just over a mile left, my stomach started to cramp a little, on the right side. I'd guess probably not enough water/gatorade while running. it wasn't severe enough to disrupt me tho, plus knowing I was almost done, I pressed on.

Santa brought me a few fitness-related things, most notably another 2 years at 24 Hour Fitness. He also brought me a Kindle...I wasn't sure if I'd like it, but so far it is really nice. For weeks I had the book, The Art of Racing in the Rain in my Amazon shopping cart. I downloaded it, and read around 15% just yesterday. Great book too!
    Categories
    Running
  4. Thurs 12232010 workouts

by , December 23rd, 2010 at 08:39 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    the rain continued to fall last night, but thankfully it was all done when I got up this morning. I was trying to get some work done, but the dog was pestering me a bit. rather than deal with that for too long, I decided to just go out for a run...

(I fixed my Garmin connect access. turns out just clearing my cache/deleting cookies worked)

Time: 01:03:55
    Distance: 7.91 mi
    Elevation Gain: 8 ft
    Calories: 1,065 C
    Avg Pace: 08:04 min/mi
    Avg Moving Pace: 07:59 min/mi
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/60434924

notes--
    * for once, the dog had her nature break about 2 minutes after I started. scooped it up in a bag, there was a trash can right there, perfect timing. then I decided to do something different...we went south along the canal.
    * weather was beautiful on the southbound leg. temp was 55ish, nice and sunny. actually I was quite warm with my short sleeve shirt...until we turned around, into a gust of wind. then I was glad I didn't go sleeveless.
    * we stopped at the Paseo Vista park, the same one that has the dog park. for a second I considered taking her over there, but as it was this was her longest run, and I didn't want to chance having to carry a 40-45# dog back with me!
    * this is by far the fastest run I've had since my 1/2 marathon, and this time I can say that the moving pace is probably the one to look at. we did have to stop to cross streets...
    * just one of those great feeling runs. the air was nice and clear after the rain. yea the trail was a little muddy in spots, the blacktop area was wet, but could have been far worse.

then late this afternoon I decided to take the bike out for a solo ride. my last one was 11/11, when I died on my trek to/from Ahwatukee. this time I kept it pretty local--

Time: 01:21:18
    Distance: 23.47 mi
    Elevation Gain: 71 ft
    Calories: 1,350 C
    Avg Speed: 17.3 mph
    Avg Moving Speed: 17.7 mph
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/60462112

* when I was picking out a jersey to wear, I remembered I just got a shop jersey that hadn't been worn. I was going to just wear that, but it seemed thin, so I grabbed a long sleeve tight top (initially I got it for running, but seems I only wear it for cycling), and put the jersey over. I only have shorts, and they worked fine. I probably should pick up some leg warmer things...
    * temps were 60-65, a pretty steady wind. sunny most of the time, but there were clouds out in the distance. I was just hoping no rain, and thankfully not.
    * just did my 'usual' loop around Chandler. I normally take Gilbert Rd around the Chandler airport, but there's a bit of retail at Gilbert/Germann, so I opted instead for the Airport Rd to avoid too much traffic.
    * otherwise, I really avoided the bulk of the shopping traffic. there was a touch on Alma School Rd, maybe between Riggs and Chandler Heights (1 mile). It is always interesting riding through Sun Lakes retirement community, seeing all the golf carts.
    * I think this will be my standard ride for a while... I do want to build back up to an Ahwatukee-worthy distance, but don't want to crash + burn like I did on my last ride.

my team swim workout is at 9am tomorrow, which doesn't work for me. I was going to meet the tri-friend I ran with last summer at Scottsdale's Eldorado pool, but that's closed. So we're meeting at a 24 Hour Fitness pool instead. I'm trying to talk him into joining, so I'll have a somewhat reliable lifting partner.
    My 24 Hour membership expires on Sunday. Seems like just yesterday I joined. No worries though, Costco still has the 2-year certificates for $300. Quite a steal.
    Categories
    Running , Cycling
  5. Tuesday 12212010 run

by , December 21st, 2010 at 06:12 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    a gal I used to swim with, at the ASU Masters group, posted this on Facebook this morning--

"thinks the midnight swim in the WARM diving well was lots of fun ... as far as the eclipse, well that was a nice *thought*, maybe we can really see it in another 4oosomething years."

oddly, I did consider going to the workout at Mona Plummer (I still get the Sun Devil Master emails)...it sounded quite freaky. But instead I opted to stay home. I meant to look outside before I went to bed and/or after I got up in the morning, but did neither. with the cloudcover in PHX, we had nearly no view. I'm actually a bit surprised that Paul and Laura didn't do a similar workout...views around Kino are a bit wider since it is pretty much a residential area.

I'm still having issues with my Garmin, and it is very frustrating. I've rebooted computers countless times, uninstalled/reinstalled software and drivers, tried on my Netbook, rebooted the Garmin, and deleted a bunch of history on the Garmin. My next step is to restore the Garmin to original factory settings. Kind of a PITA, and definitely a last resort. I'm hoping that Santa brings me the 410. It is supposedly waterproof, and they say the GPS will work even in a lake.

Anyway, my data is still saving to the watch, and mysteriously uploading to dailymile.com--

12/21/10, 11:46am, 00:56:13.38, 6.85 miles, avg 7.3 mph, 919 cal, avg HR 166

mile 1: 8:19.43, 7.2 mph, 132 cal, HR 154
    mile 2: 8:13.41, 7.3 mph, 136 cal, HR 160
    mile 3: 8:14.26, 7.3 mph, 134 cal, HR 167
    mile 4: 8:11.53, 7.3 mph, 135 cal, HR 170
    mile 5: 8:17.40, 7.2 mph, 135 cal, HR 171
    mile 6: 8:12.50, 7.3 mph, 134 cal, HR 172
    last .85: 6:44.85, 7.5 mph, 113 cal, HR 174

http://www.dailymile.com/people/aztimm/entries/4499618

notes--
    * I took the dog with me the whole way. she had some nature breaks, which actually worked well for me as I wanted a quick breather then too.
    * used my newly created, "Christmas--Running," playlist for music. not quite as good as my normal stuff, but it works I guess. I loaded 2-1/2 hours of music into it, and put it on random. I'll attach the music that played.
    * weather was pretty dismal...cloudy, a couple of raindrops, much more humid than normal, and 65F. I wore a short sleeve shirt and wished I had gone sleeveless. at a couple points, I almost stopped to take off my shirt. the odd thing is, I saw others wearing sweatshirts (hoods up), jackets/gloves, and one guy with a sleeveless top.
    * this is one of the most consistently paced runs I've ever had, and I wasn't really even trying. sure it is nice to pull off a mile at 7:40, but not at the expense of the next mile at 8:40 (unless I'm doing a specific tempo run).
    * the dog was strong throughout. actually, when we came back, I initially was going to take the pedestrian bridge across the canal, but she pulled onward along the canal trail. so we went a little further and took the catwalk beside a canal grate (there's a railing only on one side).

I was toying with going to the gym to swim or not...but I'm thinking not. I need just under 3 miles now to complete my GTD goal of 400 miles. now I'm wondering what to set a goal for 2011...maybe just 365 miles.
    Categories
    Running

Name:	playlist_12212010.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	100.6 KB 
ID:	6560  
  6. Sunday 12192010 long run

by , December 19th, 2010 at 07:23 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    I thought the weather people said a few days ago that things would be cooling off. If they did, 'cooling off' is just a few degrees. Certainly not the record 80+ we had early last week, but I'll take 75 After finally decorating the tree yesterday morning, cleaning out the family room (got a new stand for the plasma tv delivered), I took the dog out for a walk. I ended up doing 2+ miles, mostly because it felt so great to be walking outside...mid-70s, in December.

when I took the dog out first thing this morning, I felt comfortable on the patio with shorts and a t-shirt. checked the weather, and temp was in the mid-50s...at 6am. so when it came time to run, I put on shorts and a sleeveless singlet (actually the same one I wore for both races, I'm wearing it in the picture on the top left), and took the dog out for a run.

I'm still having some issues getting the data to upload to the Garmin connect site, but oddly it is uploading to dailymile.com...so it is going somewhere--

from the watch
    start: 6:51AM
    2:00:40, 14.27 miles, avg 7.1 mph, 1909 cal, avg HR 170 (a little high for a long run, but probably due to improper placement, see below)

mile 1-- 8:27.52, 7.1 mph, 134 cal, HR 148 (after that my HR monitor fell to my waist, fixed it after I dropped off the dog)
    mile 2-- 8:23.59, 7.1 mph, 134 cal
    mile 3-- 8:31.25, 7.0 mph, 133 cal
    mile 4-- 8:20.66, 7.2 mph, 134 cal
    mile 5-- 8:12.24, 7.3 mph, 133 cal
    mile 6-- 8:20.30, 7.2 mph, 134 cal
    mile 7-- 8:15.63, 7.3 mph, 134 cal, HR 181 (probably still wrong)
    mile 8-- 8:40.19, 6.9 mph, 134 cal, HR 161
    mile 9-- 8:38.93, 6.9 mph, 134 cal, HR 160
    mile 10- 8:39.79, 6.9 mph, 134 cal, HR 160
    mile 11- 8:38.69, 6.9 mph, 133 cal, HR 162
    mile 12- 8:27.69, 7.1 mph, 134 cal, HR 165
    mile 13- 8:36.19, 7.0 mph, 134 cal, HR 168
    mile 14- 8:20.53, 7.2 mph, 134 cal, HR 170
    last .24-- 2:04.16, 7.9 mph, 36 cal, HR 176

http://www.dailymile.com/people/aztimm/entries/4475652

notes--
    * although it was warm, it was quite cloudy. still dark when we started, and I really didn't need my sunglasses the whole time with the dog.
    * I ran 7.1 miles(ish) with the dog, then dropped her off, the remainder was on my own. She doesn't necessarily pull me along (she does at first), but I think I'm just faster running with another person, or evidently with my dog
    * there seemed to be quite a few serious looking runners out today. when I say that, I mean people dressed to run (not wearing a hooded sweatshirt with the hood up with temps in the mid-50s, but I did see some of those too), wearing a Camelback or water belt, and/or with some sort of GPS or other tracking device.
    * just before I turned around with the dog, I passed 2 guys going the other way. I tried to keep up with them (across the canal). failed at that, but kept them mostly in sight all the way to where I finished with the dog. then when I was out solo, I was around the point where there's another trail from the canal path over to Tumbleweed Park, and saw the same guys...running toward me. I just assumed they'd go the other way, and I was startled when they were next to me 2-3 min later. I never do this, but I took out a headphone and asked, "didn't I see you earlier," and they said, "yea, we had to get something from our car." I attempted to run with them a while, but they were too fast for me then, but made a good target. after we crossed McQueen, one of them dropped back, then started walking. I passed him, then kept the other in my sights, but he seemed even faster solo.
    * after my pit stop at the Paseo park, I did a lap around the park before coming back home. I wanted to do 14ish miles, and without that lap I would have been short, so it was pretty much just padding.
    * had a somewhat sprinty finish, but still felt like I could have run a little more. there's quite a difference between training for a full -v- half marathon...mostly that you have to be able to run (or at least finish) a full marathon.
    * music-wise nothing too noteworthy. I started working on a Christmas-Running playlist, but need to finish it. I probably have enough for a shorter run during the week, but not yet the 2+ hours for a long run. Anyway, I'll attach my playlist, early songs at the bottom and last songs at the top.
    * when I first finished, my HR was 177. about 30 sec later, down to 155. another 30 sec at 140. then at the 2 min point 125. seems about right I think.

didn't go out to breakfast today, but had some eggs and pancakes after the run. I showered, then sat down to watch some tv...next thing I knew an hour+ had passed and evidently I fell asleep. did some errands after that, which included a quite necessary stop at Starbucks.

I have just 2 weeks left of swimming with the team. I contacted Paul last week to see how much notice he needed, and he said he'd end my membership on 1/1. We'll see how I feel...I just need a change right now, and I'll probably end up going back at some point. Could be after 1 month, or after 10+.
    I need to re-register with USMS, and I was playing around on the site with all the different team and LMSC fees. Strangely, for me to register in the Delaware Valley LMSC is about 1/2 that of Arizona, so I'll probably do that (it includes the area I grew up in, so I don't feel too guilty about it). I'm not planning anything major competition-wise swimming in 2011... 0-2 meets and 0-2 open water events (-v- 3-6 running events and 1-3 biking events and 2-4 multi-sport events).
    Categories
    Running

Name:	playlist_12192010.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	106.5 KB 
ID:	6557  
  7. Thurs-Fri 1216-12172010 workouts

by , December 18th, 2010 at 01:36 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    I got out for a run yesterday, unfortunately not early when the weather was still somewhat nice. I remember when I left work on Wednesday, I was wishing I was going for a run...it was the last of the nice weather for a while.
    having some issues getting the Garmin to synch with my computer; I've rebooted my desktop 3x and the Garmin twice. I'll manually type in all the details.

Dec 16, 2010, started at 12:00pm
    totals: 6.76 miles, 0:54:56.05, 7.4 mph (about an 8:10 pace), avg HR 164

splits--
    mile 1: 8:17.19, 7.2 mph, HR 149
    mile 2: 8:12.62, 7.3 mph, HR 161
    mile 3: 8:19.97, 7.2 mph, HR 164
    mile 4: 8:07.89, 7.4 mph, HR 167
    mile 5: 8:13.94, 7.3 mph, HR 170
    mile 6: 8:04.14, 7.4 mph, HR 170
    final .76: 5:40.30, 8.0 mph, HR 177

notes--
    * took the dog for the whole run. she was happy to get out, and pulled me along for the first mile
    * we usually run up to Ray Rd. when we got there, I decided to go a little further, and there's a footbridge across the canal about 1/2 way between Ray and Warner, so that made a good turnaround point
    * weather wasn't that great. temp was around 58-60F, overcast, with a fairly steady drizzle to light rain. especially after the turnaround, the entire run home seemed quite wet, and it was a cold rain too
    * I did listen to music, I'll see if I can track down the playlist. nothing sticks out to me.
    * very surprisingly, I did see a couple of other people out running. I'm thinking with the Phoenix/PF Changs marathon coming up soon, people who are doing that pretty much have to get in their long runs now. passed one guy (going the other way) just before the turnaround, and once we turned around, we followed him across the canal back down to Ray. he crossed the canal at Ray, and looked pissed that I stayed up, or even was faster...with the dog.
    * I had hoped to tire out the dog with the run, but unfortunately she was just as full of energy as ever. I did towel her off as soon as I got inside (and took off my shoes), so she wouldn't make a mess.

Late yesterday, I had to drive to the West side of the Phoenix area for work meetings. The drive there was around 1-1/4 hour, with traffic, rain, etc. Then was on my feet the whole time. Thankfully the drive home wasn't so bad, but I was completely exhausted and was in bed by 9:30pm.

Got up this morning and just didn't feel like going to the team swim workout. My left knee was sore, as well as other soreness. I know I'm just complaining, but I think the rain/dampness compounds chronic injuries...and I'm just getting old.
    Anyway, I went to the 24 Hour Fitness in Tempe, and did the following swim workout solo--

500 swim
    300 kick, no equipment. 50 free/25 breast continuous
    1000 pull, 75 free/25 stroke continuous (I rotated the stroke between back and breast)

4 x (200-150-100-50)
    --200 was free
    --150 was 50 free/50 stroke/50 free
    --100 free
    --50 stroke
    --stroke on rounds 1 & 3 was back, 2 & 4 breast
    --took about 5-10 sec rest within each set, around 20 between sets

100 easy

300 kick with fins, did a variety of fly/free on both front and back

200 w/d

total: 4400 meters

notes--
    * I was going to copy some of Swimsuit Addict's workout from yesterday. I did a 200, was going to do 5, then do 150s, and I thought, "Why not mix them together?" then on the first 150, I thought of adding in a 100 and 50. So the main set was inspired by her at least.
    * was surprised that there were others in the pool. just 1 person when I got there, but by the time I left there were 4 others.
    * I really enjoy long pull sets. It is a bit tough doing backstroke; there aren't flags. But since the pool is inside, I learn to look for markings on the ceiling to warn me when I'm approaching the ends, and I usually err on the side of doing a couple of freestyle strokes
    * not sure if doing breast was such a good idea. my knee (IT band) bothered me a bit throughout the day after this.
    this will be good practice for a few weeks, when I switch to solo swim workouts.

after a day at work, I did make it to the gym (Chandler location) afterward. our 'holiday' lunch (that we can't call it that) was moved from earlier in the week to today. My boss's husband had a sudden heart attack, and was just released from the hospital on Wed. She's either a trooper or crazy, since she was back working yesterday. anyway, after a heavy lunch, and lingering knee/ankle pain, I nearly bagged a workout. but I managed to make something work....

Treadmill: 14:00, 1.50 miles, 168 cal, avg 6.4 mph. 2 min warmup, then start at 6.4 mph and increase .1 mph per min to 7.5, a min cooldown

Incline bench: 1 x 9 x 45, 2 x 9 x 135, 2 x 8 x 155
    Dumbbell chest fly: 1 x 9 x 45s, 1 x 9 x 55s, 2 x 9 x 65s, 2 x 6 x 70s
    Hammer strength high row: 1 x 10 x 90, 2 x 9 x 180, 2 x 9 x 230, 2 x 5 x 250
    Hammer strength seated row: 1 x 9 x 90, 2 x 9 x 180, 2 x 6 x 200
    Hammer strength shoulder press: 1 x 9 x 90, 2 x 9 x 110, 2 x 8 x 140
    Multi machine standing biceps curls: 1 x 9 x 80, 1 x 9 x 120, 1 x 9 x 130, 1 x 9 x 140, 2 x 8 x 150
    Flex fitness dip machine: 1 x 9 x 180, 2 x 9 x 240, 1 x 8 x 255
    Lifefitness triceps extension: 1 x 9 x 65, 1 x 9 x 110, 2 x 9 x 125
    Leg raise: 3 x 15
    Situps on decline bench: 40 normal, 40 Rocky, rest a min, 25 normal, 25 Rocky
    Plank: 5 min of the usual
    various rolling on the foam roller (upper legs front/sides, lower legs front/sides)

notes--
    * it wasn't too crowded at the gym, but I was surprised how man people decided to come at 7:30. it closes at 9 on Fridays.
    * wasn't sure if I should do the treadmill. but once I got into a jog, most of the pain went away. it probably looks odd that I can jog on the treadmill, but then need to hold onto it to step down.
    * since I did heavy chest on Wed, I thought of skipping through that today, and probably should have. felt weak on the incline, but not bad at all on the dumbbell flys.
    * went crazy on the biceps curls, and I have a feeling I'll pay for it tomorrow or Sunday morning. I was trying to find a max weight for 9 reps, and I just kept going...
    * worked into the incline bench with a guy I know who was lifting on it. did my first 2 situp rounds in about 2 min (40 situps and 40 Rocky), then he did a round of weights, then I did the remainder

tomorrow is my off day, then hopefully a long run on Sunday.

Updated December 18th, 2010 at 01:48 AM by aztimm

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Running
  8. Tuesday 12142010 workouts

by , December 15th, 2010 at 01:29 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    made it to swim workout this morning at the MAC, we were SCY, but in our usual spot, not the competition part of the pool
    Paul was solo coaching on deck

100 fast free for time (1:13)
    300 pull
    100 choice fast for time (kicked w/board no fins, 1:56)
    200 easy IM drill
    100 fast free for time (1:13)
    100 easy w/Tennessee turns
    100 choice fast for time (breast, 1:26)
    300 pull
    100 fast for time, fins + paddles (1:03)
    200 easy IM drill
    100 choice fast for time (IM, 1:22)
    100 easy w/Tennessee turns
    100 fast for time, fins + paddles (1:02)
    300 pull

at this point, Paul asked if I wanted to do a 'get out swim'. I got to pick 2 others to do it with me, I chose Whitney and Gia, gals in the lanes on either side, mostly because they are pretty close in speed. if 2/3 of us got below our goal time, the whole team would be done with workout. my goal time was 59
    100 fast for time, fins + paddles (57.7)

100 easy pull (borrowed Kent's Star Paddles)
    200 w/d

total: 3000

notes--
    * really don't know what's going on with my freestyle lately. I could pick a couple of choice words to describe it... but today even my breast wasn't so hot
    * I typically hold back a little when I know I'm running at night, and I did at first, the first 100 fast (right at the start) I probably only did 90-95%. between knowing I'd be running at night, and also knowing we had a whole workout to go. but still, I should be below 1:10
    * when Paul first asked me how I was feeling, I said, "fine, as long as I don't have to do 100 fly." subconsciously I was trying to psych myself up to do a 100 back. for those choice sets, each was supposed to be something different
    * I can't even remember the last time I've attempted a 100 IM. It didn't seem as horrible as I remembered. I joked with someone prior how it is easier going off the blocks, if only to get more out of the dive and avoid actually doing fly stroke; Paul heard me and said, "so you're going off the block?" and I just scowled at him.
    * the last 100 w/fins and paddles was actually prety good for me, I tried to keep side-by-side with Gia, and Whitney close. I think Whit finished in 55, and Gia 57.2.

then after work, I met the guy (his name is Sal) who I had run with a bit this past summer and we did my 'usual' Tuesday run.
    Time: 01:04:52
    Distance: 7.95 mi
    Elevation Gain: 190 ft
    Calories: 1,071 C
    Avg Pace: 08:09 min/mi
    Avg Moving Pace: 08:06 min/mi
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/59745475

notes--
    * weather was just spectacular. temp around 70F, and there was a fair amount of moonlight, so we could see pretty well most of the time.
    * I wore a sleeveless singlet (probably could have gone without), and my new Lunarglide shoes.
    * my goal was to hold around an 8:20 pace, and I started out rather conservatively. but the last 3 miles were significantly faster. any time I do a mile under an 8:00 pace is a great day...doing 3 miles is awesome.
    * somehow got distracted and took a wrong turn near the zoo. there was a bit of traffic for the Zoo Lights, lots of temporary lighting in that blinded me a bit. anyway, that cut about 1/4 mile from the run.
    * since I hadn't for a while, we did the, "extra credit," leg at the end, around the 202 freeway to Mill, returning with a sprint finish along Tempe Town Lake
    * had a good mix of music...I had the volume turned down a bit, and when, "Riders on the Storm," played (much of the Galvin Pkwy portion), I could hardly hear it. In addition to what's there, at the end, after the Depeche Mode song finished, part of, "Never say never," by Romeo Void played while I sprinted. surprisingly, that makes a good song to sprint to.

it is extremely rare I can do even part of a fast swim and run on the same day. I have mixed views on a fast swim with equipment, but a fast run is a fast run, I'll take that.

Updated December 15th, 2010 at 01:47 AM by aztimm

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Running

Name:	playlist_12142010.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	6555  
  9. Sunday 12122010 running

by , December 12th, 2010 at 04:31 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    during my normal dog walk yesterday, I tried something new. still put the harness on the dog, but then did a half loop of the leash around her. it was amazing the difference--whenever she pulled to the side it squeezed her belly a little, so she didn't pull. instead of my usual 1 mile along the canal with her, I felt so good we did around 2-1/2 miles walk. on the way back home, I ran into Jerry, the guy who lives nearby who I've biked with. he was about a mile into his run with his 2 dogs. we stopped and chatted, let the dogs mingle a little too.

anyway, I woke up this morning to a rather pleasant 50F. had been planning to put on a short sleeved running top, but instead opted for a sleeveless singlet, usual running shorts. took the dog at first, for the following--

Time: 01:42:25
    Distance: 12.15 mi
    Elevation Gain: 12 ft
    Calories: 1,626 C
    Avg Pace: 08:25 min/mi
    Avg Moving Pace: 08:19 min/mi
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/59491630

notes--
    * it was still dark when we started, but with the mild temps wasn't too bad. took the dog along the canal northbound, up to Ray Rd, then back down.
    * saw an amazing sunrise, but due to the angle it doesn't rise over the Supersition Mountains in winter, kind of over the San Tan Mountains, much smaller, but still makes a nice dramatic setting, and I had to put on my sunglasses around mile 4.
    * dropped off the dog, and decided to just go down to the park at McQueen and Ocotillo. as I was crossing Germann, passed a couple of guys going the other way, and I'd swear I saw them at the race last week.
    * had a guy in my sight for much of the trek down to Ocotillo. he must have just been a touch faster than me, but he was on the other side of the canal. when I headed up to the park, headed to the restroom for a pit stop, opened the door...and scared him. don't know why people don't lock the restroom doors (I've done this before), but I went in another, making sure I locked the door.
    * the run back home felt kind of relaxing. I enjoyed just basking in the sun, into some easy speed, thinking about how there are snow storms elsewhere.
    * overall, my pace was a bit faster than I would have liked. my soft goal for today was ~10 miles at an 8:40 pace, but I did over 12 miles, at an 8:25 pace. although I wear my Garmin and could check pace all the time if I want, I really only check maybe every 10-15 min max (when it is dark I hardly ever check, only under lights).
    * had a good mix of music. used my 'long run' playlist, which has some more mellow music, but none really seems to come up. I'll post the playlist, with the last songs at the top.

feeling mostly recovered from my race last week. while typing this, I had an ice pack on my left leg focusing on my IT band. recovered enough I think to enter my next race.
    oh, I really like the Jan issue of Runner's World. In addition to the usual stuff, it has a calendar of races for 2011. it is handy at least having an idea of what races are when. that's one thing I like about running. obviously, planning a marathon requires a bit of notice to close roads, get police/EMT's, etc. So far I'm planning the Lost Dutchman full marathon, Lehigh Valley half, and probably another half and full in the fall. Leaning towards the Philly full right now. I like the late fall races so I don't have to do mega long runs in the heat of summer here, although I'm not sure I'd want to do a marathon in Philly in November either.
    probably will do a couple of open water swims, maybe 1-2 local, and quite possibly the Waikiki Roughwater.

went out to breakfast after, wore a hard rock t-shirt and jeans, grabbed a sweatshirt before I went out the door. surprisingly, we sat outside, and I was fine--without the sweatshirt.

enroute to run errands, we made a stop in downtown Chandler and took a few pictures of the Tumbleweed Tree--

Good luck to everyone out there racing this weekend! Sounds like there's a couple of swim meets, and of course the Honolulu Marathon!

Updated December 12th, 2010 at 04:43 PM by aztimm

Categories
    Running

Name:	playlist_12122010.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	118.8 KB 
ID:	6554  
  10. Tuesday 12072010 workouts

by , December 8th, 2010 at 01:07 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    made it to swim workout this morning with the team, Mesa Westwood-Carson pool (SCY)
    Paul was on deck coaching solo

8 x 75 @ 1:20, drill/build/kick (did #7-8 breast @ 1:30 with Lindsey and Whitney)

30 x 50 @ 1:00, 2 easy, 1 fast
    --did all free, except these breast #15 (41), 21 (:39), 27 (:38), and #30 off the block (:37)
    --for the free the fast started at :34 (yea not very fast), down to :32 (still not too fast)

100 pull, using kickboard as buoy
    300 pull, with buoy and paddles, limit breaths

200 w/d

notes--
    * the end was supposed to be a 600 pull, then 300 kick. I took the masters option. when Paul told me, "there's supposed to be half what you pulled as kicking," I told him I was warming down and getting out
    * water temp was pretty nice. Amy complained it was too cold. then Paul asked me, and I said it has been warm. he then told Amy, "look at Tim with his body fat." I asked Amy what her body fat was, and she scowled at me (guess you don't ask a woman that)
    * my freestyle really hasn't been too hot lately, and I'm not sure why. this week I do have an excuse, I'm recovering from my race. but why is my breast still ok? I just don't get it. I don't remember this happening ever before.
    * Paul had Whitney swim in the lane next to me, which then encouraged me to do more breast on the fast 50s. she went off the block for most of those fast ones, but I was being lazy.... I did go off on the last, most of us did...Lindsey, Whitney, me, Keith, and Amy, with the last 4 all doing breast (Keith knocked out a :32 50 breast)

I really debated most of the day if I would run after work today. I filled my bottles and put them in the freezer around 2, then as I was getting ready to leave, I figured I'd change...but even as I drove over to the Tempe marina I was thinking of reasons to bail.
    decided to just get out and run, slow, and even 3 miles would work. turned out I did a little more, but still slow--
    Time: 01:00:39
    Distance: 6.79 mi
    Elevation Gain: 216 ft
    Calories: 907 C
    Avg Pace: 08:56 min/mi
    Avg Moving Pace: 08:51 min/mi
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/59095080

notes--
    * since it was getting dark, I decided not to really even look at my Garmin (or try to), but I did peek a few times when I was near lights. amazing that I can plan to go 9:00 min/miles and pretty much hit it straight on
    * when I got up to the Crosscut Canal, I was greeted with some amazing views of Camelback Mountain, the houses along it all decked out with Christmas lights. then when I ran past the zoo, I caught some of Zoo Lights. and as I was running through Papago Park, I looked over and saw the BA plane coasting in to land at PHX (a long trip in from London).
    * was surprised to see a couple of other people out running. mostly along the Crosscut Canal, although right near McDowell/Galvin a guy passed me the other way
    * really didn't push things much, but maybe a little at the end.
    * for the first time in a while, I used my 'long run' playlist for a non-long run. the hope was that I'd get some more mellow music, but it didn't really turn out that way (I'll attach the playlist)

planning to swim in the morning, then have a massage scheduled. I'm thinking I may skip the gym tomorrow night so I can properly recover.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Running

Name:	playlist_12072010.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	6551  
  11. Sunday 12052010: The Fiesta Bowl Half Marathon

by , December 5th, 2010 at 01:50 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    It was a fantastic day to get out for a race this morning. Drove up to Scottsdale for the Fiesta Bowl Half Marathon.

Thankfully I arrived a bit early. I was able to snag an awesome parking spot that was an easy walk to both the start and finish. Temp when I arrived was upper 40s (my car said 48F), I relaxed under a heater for a while. Then I braved the line for the restroom--thankfully I went to the real restrooms, where there were separate men's/women's rooms, as the line for the ladies was 3x or more longer! I still had to wait a while, but got in/out, then walked back to my car to drop off my sweatshirt. Walked up to the start.

A gal I used to work with (Emily) was doing this, and we were wanting to meet up... As I walked toward the start I just happened to bump into her and her friend. Now Emily's goal was 2:00, her friend 1:50, so I figured I'd hang with her friend for a bit. Before we knew it, the race was starting...and I started my music playing and my Garmin--

Time: 01:44:49
    Distance: 13.30 mi
    Elevation Gain: 80 ft
    Calories: 1,795 C
    Avg Pace: 07:52 min/mi
    Avg Moving Pace: 07:50 min/mi
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/58859953

official time: http://results.active.com/pages/sear....jsp#hot_links
    (I'm # 576)

notes--
    * there was 1 lane closed of the roads we ran along. worked nicely except it took a while to get used to all of the vehicle exhaust right next to me. that's one nice thing about running along trails, don't have to deal with that.
    * the 3 of us (Emily, her friend, and I) all ran together for about a mile. it was a bit of a rush, no corrals or pre-seeding, just a mad rush.
    * after that mile, Emily dropped back, and her friend (I think her name is Molly?) and I ran together for about 4 miles. I remember passing the 5k mark and thought, "that wasn't so bad." but my real landmark to look for was the turn from Scottsdale Rd to Doubletree Ranch...which seemed to take forever
    * finally we did turn, somewhere around 5 miles in. I thought it was just a mile from Scottsdale to Hayden, but evidently this road zig-zags around a bit, or that was the longest mile I've run. Doubletree turns into Via de Ventura, and finally we hit Hayden, and I think the 10k mark was near there too.
    * going down Hayden, things seemed to mostly thin out. after I lost Emily's friend, I started picking a person in front to run to, then randomly pick another
    * somewhere on Hayden I started noticing lots of people walking. and looking at them, I wouldn't suspect they'd be the type to be THIS much faster than me. I later learned that they allowed a 30 min advance start for some walkers...
    * it got a little hairy as we moved from the road to the Scottsdale Greenbelt trail, back and forth between the two.
    * somewhere around 9.5 miles, my heart rate monitor felt like it was really loose. shortly after that, I felt it snap, somehow it came unclipped. I just left it sit at my waist. with my Nathan fuel belt on, it was ok there (not ideal but ok).
    * I don't remember exactly how, but we ended up crossing Indian School Rd, then turned onto Osborne, heading back toward downtown Scottsdale. I picked up speed...
    * the end is just a rush, there were people cheering, I did as much of a sprint as I could
    * temp at the finish was around 60F. I was very warm...was glad I just wore a singlet (the same exact one I used for the full marathon, in my pic on the left)

* this is the fastest I've ever run this distance
    * nearly every mile was faster than the last. yea, I did take the first easy...
    * I didn't stop at a single water station, as I had my own. I tried to drink around every mile, and I did take a couple swigs of Gatorade for the last half
    * pretty much nailed my goal time right on. EVERYONE (who wore a Garmin) complained about the extra .2 miles. not sure if it was a Garmin error or race error, but not unique to me.

the nice thing about a half -v- a full marathon is that I don't feel like I'm just going to puke and pass out. yea I was kind of wiped, but I grabbed some orange slices, waited for the others... Molly finished right around 1:50 (her target time), and Emily was almost exactly at 2:00, her target time. As we were waiting for Emily, we chatted with a guy nearby, who ran 1:17, and was complaining he was slow

still have things to do today... finish the Christmas lights. then if time allows, a visit to the Tempe Festival of the Arts.

edited to add--
    adding in my running playlist & a photo of my race# and the finish medal

Updated December 5th, 2010 at 11:00 PM by aztimm

Categories
    Running

Name:	playlist_12052010.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	132.6 KB 
ID:	6549   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FiestaBowlHalf-finishMedal.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	198.9 KB 
ID:	6550  
  12. Thurs 12022010--a taperish run

by , December 2nd, 2010 at 07:26 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    note to self--avoid any negativity before workout out, especially close to a race. I made the mistake of perusing the forums this morning before going out to run. saw the thread about mental training, and combined with these phantom pains I've been having, I nearly ditched my run.

thankfully my dog kept at me while I was on my call, and after it finished, I got ready to go out for a run.
    goal was shorter, slower, with a couple of speed bursts. here's what I did--
    Time: 00:44:53
    Distance: 5.45 mi
    Calories: 730 C
    Avg Pace: 08:14 min/mi
    Avg Moving Pace: 08:12 min/mi
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/58599187

notes--
    * wow, from 27F on Tues to mid-60s today, what a change! sunny, maybe a slight trace of wind, otherwise fantastic weather for running.
    * wore my new Lunarglide shoes; they now have 39.44 miles (the joys of tracking runs/gear with dailymile.com) on them. should be sufficiently broken in for my race, and I think I'll go with them. my older Lunarglides have around 230 miles (still very wearable, I retire shoes at around 400 miles), and I may bring them as a backup just in case.
    * the dog has really adjusted to running with me. other than the initial surge from the house and when I began running, the leash had slack most of the time. sure there was a point when we ran past some ducks and she tried getting close to them, but a quick jerk of the leash and a firm, "Holly..." and she was back at my side.
    * these phantom pains were rather annoying. soreness in my legs, hips, knees, heck even my back. but after a mile I felt great. actually felt like doing more after bringing the dog home...but I resisted the urge.
    * attaching the playlist that came up. Nine Inch Nails always gets me pumped, especially for a sprinty finish. Was practically pulling Holly along at that point....until she suddenly went into a 2-beat gallop and started pulling me.

I'm leaning toward a solo swim at the gym tomorrow morning. I'll have to peruse the schedules to see which location will work best; I'd hate to go and see 1/2 or more of the pool devoted to an aqua-aerobics class! I may go to swim workout, but Friday is typically a FAST day, and I don't want to risk blocks, and don't really want to do FAST either. rather than disrupt things (at Kino there's plenty of space, but Carson is far smaller), I think a separate workout will work. plus a gym pool is inside, I don't have to deal with the deathly run of fear getting out of the pool.

of all people, Paul Smith himself posted an interesting link on my Facebook wall--
    Dr J on Running: Running with your dog
    I already replied with these 2 points--
    --"Your partner should be socialized with all kinds of humans and animals, and be respectful of any distractions, including moving vehicles, wild animals, sharp, sudden noises, terrorist attacks, and bad grammar." (terrorist attacks? and how will bad grammar do anything to the dog?)
    --"A simple jerk on the leash should bring the dog back to your left side. " (mine runs on my right)

lastly, I snapped a picture of Holly passed out in my home office. she's been in here sleeping pretty much since we got home.

Updated December 2nd, 2010 at 07:36 PM by aztimm

Categories
    Running

Name:	Holly_12022010.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	197.2 KB 
ID:	6547   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	playlist_12022010.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	6548  
  13. Tues 11302010 workouts

by , December 1st, 2010 at 12:59 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    it was quite crisp when I left home this morning. at 5:30ish it was right at 32F, but the temp dropped down further...depending which source anywhere from 25-27F. I have no idea why Chandler got stuck with far cooler temps than elsewhere in the area; typically North Scottsdale/Carefree/Cave Creek get cooler as they are at higher elevations.
    anyway, I did go to the team workout at Carson pool in Mesa (where it was around 33F)
    coach Andrea was on deck

I put on my goggles before I took off my sweatshirt...had all my stuff on deck waiting, once I took off my sweatshirt I kind of jumped over and dove right in the pool, swam nearly a whole 25 underwater to warm myself up.

got in 600 during open w/u

4 x 100 @ 1:30, desc 1-4
    4 x 75 @ 1:15, 25 underwater kick/50 build
    4 x 50 @ :45, 1 fast/1 easy x 2
    4 x 25 @ :30, 1 stroke/1 free x 2

200 broken @ 50 for :10 (breast, 2:42ish)
    300 pull, breathe every 5

2 x 100 broken @ 75 for 15
    #1--free, 1:10
    #2--breast, 1:21

300 pull, breathe every 5

4 x 50 @ 2:30
    --#1-2 free (both :32)
    --#3-4 non-free (breast, both :38)
    --did easy 50 between each (total 150)

200 w/d

total: 3150 yards

notes--
    * again my freestyle felt extremely sluggish. for a 50 fast free from a push I should be able to do 31...and a 100 should be around 1:07. not sure if the warm water (temp was 85ish) combined with cold air was a factor, but no one else seemed impacted
    * and again, my breast was half decent. I can't remember the last time I did a 200 br for time, and it wasn't as horrible as I expected. of course it felt better on my arms to keep them in the water.
    * after I got out (again another ordeal) and was almost done showering, I heard a blood-curling scream. evidently it was Lindsey getting out of the water and racing to the women's locker room.
    * typically after swim workouts I go to Starbucks and get a protein smoothie. today I went, but was still trying to thaw out and instead opted for a macchiato. I must go too much, the manager asked, "The usual, Tim," and when I told her, "I think I want something warm," she thought it was a good idea.

I really had a tough time warming up nearly all day long. the heat was on at work, but I was still cold. I have a small heater I stash away in a cabinet in my office, I dug it out, kept my door just cracked, and cranked the heat. it was fine when I was in my office, but when I left it, I froze.

anyway, ended up doing a rare Tempe Town Lake run after work--
    Time: 00:50:46
    Distance: 6.04 mi
    Elevation Gain: 39 ft
    Calories: 810 C
    Avg Moving Pace: 08:20 min/mi
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/58469833

notes--
    * I met the guy I had run with a bit over the summer. he's getting over an injury (I think ankle?), and he didn't want to do the botanical gardens/papago run, and with my race on Sunday, I figured a mostly flat run may be good.
    * the worst part was crossing the Rural Road bridge. every time I do this, the wind seems extreme, especially right in the middle of the bridge. then I really had to pee, so made a pit stop at the Marina restrooms.
    * as we were approaching the Mill Ave bridge, he asked if I wanted to do a loop, and I said sure. I figured he'd meant my 'extra credit' leg along the freeway, but he really meant to take Curry back to College (found out later), but we ended up along the freeway trail.
    * after finally passing the Mill Bridge, it just seemed like the Priest bridge was soooo far away. seemed to take forever to get to it. the odd thing was, after crossing it (not too bad with wind), it didn't seem nearly as far getting back to Mill.

after we finished, I did a very quick little extra--
    pushups: 30

two rounds of--
    50 crunches
    50 bicycles

planning on going to swim workout with the team tomorrow. supposedly the temp will get somewhat back to normal. then gym after work.

if weather predictions ring true, Sunday should be near ideal race conditions...low 45-50, high 70. I'm starting to get those odd aches and pains...phantom pains, similar to what happened in the days leading up to my marathon. strangely, this doesn't happen prior to swim meets tho.

a Facebook friend of mine posted this link:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/30/he...best.html?_r=1
    this pretty much described me to a T. after I had my horrible bike injury when I was living in Scottsdale back in 1997, I really never got back to riding until last year. I tried a little, but just couldn't get any speed, and my distances were pitiful. when I lived in Tucson (1998-1999), I lived in a fantastic area for riding...took my bike out once, and it nearly freaked me out. I stopped running then too, and put my focus on swimming, and started with USMS.
    Quite a different story -v- running, where even after my sprained ankle, and amid various other small stuff, I persist in getting out and running.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Running
  14. Sunday 11282010 running

by , November 28th, 2010 at 04:09 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    Given the weather we've had here in the Phoenix area for the past 2 weeks, I'm having a hard time realizing how warm it was not even 2 months ago. Seems we went right from summer into winter.

Anyway, I did get out to run this morning, the details--
    Time: 01:51:40
    Distance: 13.37 mi
    Elevation Gain: 16 ft
    Calories: 1,793 C
    Avg Pace: 08:21 min/mi
    Avg Moving Pace: 08:18 min/mi
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/58213944

notes--
    * the weather wasn't the best at all for running outside. I actually did consider for a while running to the gym (2 miles or so) and doing the treadmill. It started out just cold (around 40F), and very windy (wind hitting me hard when I headed South). There were clouds overhead, and for the last 2 miles I felt drizzle, until my final 1/2 mile or so when the sky just seemed to open up. I was thankful the run was done.
    * this was one of my rare occasions when I put on a long sleeved running top. still wore shorts. my rule is that if it is too cold to wear shorts, it is too cold for me to run outside.
    * Ran with the dog for the first 5.4 miles. At least with her I wrap her leash around my right wrist/hand and it added some warmth. Plus she pulls me along a little, and generally I just don't think too much...between the music, watching where we're going, watching her, and her nature breaks.
    * the last half or so was solo. After I went back out, I headed South thinking I'd get the worst over. the blast of wind coming at me was like a slap in the face...my thighs were freezing, but eventually I got used to it (they probably went numb). the wind just ripped right through my shirt.
    * I was very thankful to turn around. it was still chilly and dismal looking, but at least the wind was behind me. I couldn't imagine running into the wind when the rain finally hit. I probably would have cut my run short.
    * had a pretty good selection of music. nothing out of the ordinary, but mostly just stuff to keep me moving. I'll attach my playlist, the most recent (last songs) at the top, oldest (the first songs) at the bottom.
    * given how cruddy I felt, my time wasn't bad at all, I'd actually say it was good. avg 8:21 min/mile, with my slowest mile at 8:46, heck in summer I'd love to have times like that. I guess my body performs better in cooler weather, even though I may not care for it.

we were supposed to put up our Christmas lights today, but I think we'll wait and see how next weekend looks. the weather has improved a bit, mid-50s and a little sun, but still quite windy. only thing is my 1/2 is next Sunday, and depending how hard I push it, I may be a bit wiped out after that.

speaking of that 1/2...this week could be a taper week for me, but I'll mostly just train through it. my runs will be a little shorter, with some busts of intensity. Monday will be normal for lifting and swimming, but I'll cut the intensity after that, and some of the swimming distance.
    Categories
    Running

Name:	playlist_11282010.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	103.2 KB 
ID:	6546  
  15. Thurs-Fri 1125-11262010 workouts

by , November 27th, 2010 at 12:53 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    got a bit wrapped up with all the Thanksgiving stuff yesterday and didn't get a chance to post my run workout. it was a little chilly (low temp at the house was 38), so I started some of the cleaning (for visitors) and headed out to run a little later...
    Time: 00:57:54
    Distance: 7.02 mi
    Elevation Gain: 8 ft
    Calories: 940 C
    Avg Pace: 08:14 min/mi
    Avg Moving Pace: 08:13 min/mi
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/57887102

notes--
    * the first 3 miles were with the dog, and the path was very busy. a church just north of Pecos was doing some sort of fun run (maybe a Turkey Trot) along the canal, which made for very busy in spots.
    * just before we re-crossed Pecos coming south, there was a group of kids playing along the canal. one girl suddenly jumped up, and was right in front of me as I approached. I think she wanted to pet the dog...but I had no idea. nearly knocked her over as I ran past, I was afraid she'd get all caught up in the leash or something.
    * once I got back out, I went south along the canal and it wasn't busy at all. I passed a couple who were running with a stroller; they were running at a nice clip.
    * after I crossed Germann I was debating if I should run down to the park, or just to Queen Creek. then I realized I hadn't taken the trail over to Tumbleweed for a while. then when I got to McQueen, the song, "Du Hast," came on so I mostly sprinted in the bike lane down to Queen Creek.

this morning I was debating on a solo swim at a gym pool or team workout (9am). again it was cold (around 35 at home), so I ended up working from home for a few hours, then drove up to Carson for the team workout (SCY)
    Paul was on deck (Laura was in the water)

got in 500 during open w/u
    8 x 75 @ 1:30, 50 smooth, 10 sec rest, 25 build

4 x 50 @ 3:00, best average (blocks)
    --did 1 & 3 breast, :38 and :37
    --did 2 & 4 free, both :31

600 pull, every 4th 25 back or breast (I did 1 back, 1 breast)

2 x 100 FAST (no real interval, we did 3 waves), bloks
    --1 free, 1:11
    --2 breast, 1:23
    did about 200 easy in the diving well between these

8 x 50 @ :30 rest, 25 scull/25 kick

100 'get out' swim, block...did breast 1:18

200 w/d

total: 3000

notes--
    * it was still chilly, upper 40s, when we started, and quite windy...but at least it was sunny
    * since it was the only workout of the day, we had a half decent crowd, 3-4 people per lane (9 lanes). I shared my lane with Doug Adamavich and Laura
    * blocks at this pool are very low, and odd. Doug said they were maybe 20" high. the step behind was the same level as the block. felt like I didn't go nearly as far as blocks at Kino. plus with the wind...
    * for the first time ever, I had a very mixed day. my freestyle felt horrible, and my times were horrible. but somehow my breast was pretty decent, for me.
    * for the 'get out' swims, Paul chose who would swim where and gave us goal times. one gal flat out told him NO, but I think everyone else played along. he told me the lane (next to where I had been), told me breast, and to try for 1:17. there was a guy in the next lane (his name was either Curt or Kirk), around 30, who also did breast. I kept up for the first 25...Lacy told me my split was around :35. mostly kept him in sight, but he finished in 1:14. chatted with him after, and he swims at noon; maybe I should go at noon so I can get in some breast racing.
    * very odd that my free was so off today. I can't think of why that could have happened, yet my breast was strong. heck, I don't think I've gone this fast for a 100 breast since I swam in nationals at ASU

then I got to the gym after work on my way home. just the gym near my house, solo.

Treadmill: 20:00, 2.33 miles, 264,6 cal, avg 6.9 mph. 2 min warmup, then into 6.8 mph, max of 8.3 mph, a min cooldown

Incline bench: 1 x 15 x 45, 2 x 10 x 135, 2 x 8 x 155, 1 x 5 x 175
    Precor pec fly: 1 x 15 x 110, 1 x 12 x 170, 2 x 10 x 190, 2 x 8 x 210
    Precor rear delt: 1 x 15 x 50, 1 x 12 x 70, 2 x 9 x 90
    Seated dumbbell shoulder press: 1 x 15 x 35s, 2 x 10 x 40s, 2 x 8 x 45s
    Dumbbell wrist curls: 1 x 10 x 15, 2 x 10 x 20
    Triceps skull crushers/ez bar: 2 x 12 x 65 + 6, 2 x 10 x 70 + 5
    Biceps preacher curls: 1 x 15 x 75, 2 x 10 x 90, 2 x 8 x 95
    Leg raise: 3 x 15
    Situps on decline bench: 30 normal, 30 Rocky, 30 holding 25# on chest
    Plank: 5:00, the usual breakdown

notes--
    * I really got into my run and almost just did 5 miles and was ready to ditch weights. but I realized that I'd regret that. I also brought a running singlet, wore it for the run, then changed shirt for weights, which worked well...much less sweating while I was on the incline.
    * grabbed a very interesting guy to spot me. I had seen him on a treadmill when I was running, then he happened to be near my incline. he seemed rather clueless, so I explained how I like to be spotted. he's Irish, from Dublin, here working at Intel (sounds like indefinitely), and complained that it was colder here than in Dublin!
    * I normally wouldn't change the ez bar for skull crushers, but I lucked out with a bench near the bars, so it wasn't a huge deal.
    * gradually accepting the dumbbell shoulder presses. really works my stabilizer muscles.
    * think I hit a new max for biceps curls, and almost didn't do that either. 95# sounds like a bit, but it really didn't feel any worse than 90#
    * a guy was using the decline bench for abs stuff before me and had the 25# there. since it was right there, I figured I'd try it...and my stomach was burning

tomorrow I guess we'll setup the outside holiday lights. supposed to be one of the few nice days for a while, high in the low 70s. last year we got out of this since we were gone for 1/2 of Dec, but we don't have an excuse this year.
    Sunday will be a long run, I think I'll shoot for 12-13. I'm not going to do a full taper for my race, but I'll gradually scale things back next week, and Friday will be a bit light.

the only shopping I did today was I made a quick stop at my bike shop before the gym. they were having a 1/2 off summer clothing, so I picked up a jersey. and they finally had their shop jersey in stock in my size, so I got one of those too....they sponsor some races, and if you wear their jersey you get access to their VIP tent. they tried to talk me into getting shorts (bib shorts), to match the jersey, but I didn't bite (they really give me great deals since I've bought so much there).
    but I really want a jersey (or one of each design) from my college's cycling club

heard this interesting story just after I left work today. quite interesting, basically that eating a huge dinner will only result in 1#...but it is that 1# for every big dinner that your body adjusts to.

Updated November 27th, 2010 at 01:06 AM by aztimm

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Running
  16. Tuesday 11232010 workouts

by , November 24th, 2010 at 01:55 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    I had a blog entry nearly all typed up, when suddenly my browser crashed, and I lost it all...

anyway, I made it to swim workout this morning with the team, Mesa-Westwood/Carson pool (SCY)
    coach Andrea was on deck

got in 500 during open warm-up

8 x 50 @ 1:00, 25 6/6 drill/25 swim
    6 x 50, done 1 @ 40, 1 @ 1:00, 3x
    12 x 25 @ :30, kick on side w/fins
    100 easy

4 x 50 @ :40, 1 x 50 @ 1:00
    3 x 50 @ :40, 1 x 50 @ 1:00
    2 x 50 @ :40, 1 x 50 @ 1:00
    1 x 50 @ :40, 1 x 50 @ 1:00
    100 easy

2 x 50 fast @ 1:00, 1 x 50 @ 1:30
    3 x 50 fast @ 1:00, 1 x 50 @ 1:30
    4 x 50 fast @ 1:00, 1 x 50 @ 1:30

200 w/d

total: 3200 yards

notes--
    * I was nearly the first person there. Andrea was just unlocking the gate when I pulled up. the air temp was a little brisk, my car said 43F, but the water was warm--almost too warm
    * we had a small group, but several who swam at the meet were there (Amy and Lindsey). And Brad--who did the AZ Ironman on Sunday--was there.
    * I had been in a funk with my swimming for the last week or so, but that finally broke today. I did my swims with Brad and Lindsey, probably a little faster than normal, but I kept up. I think they were both taking things a little easy.
    * on the 50s @ :40, the goal was to just make, which I did for 4. by the time we got to 2, I was cruising them nicely, and did the last on around 32 (good for me)
    * for the 50s on 1:00 (a total surprise), I started them with what I thought was conservative, but held 33-32. by the last round, I knocked out 31 and even a 30. that's pretty much unheard of for me from a push.
    * generally I liked the set, and Andrea is a great coach. I chatted with her a little after--she's starting to run. we talked some strategy, what she hopes to accomplish, how to get there. it is easy to just go out and run for the sake of running, I'm sure 50% of people who run do this, but mixing things up with distance, speedwork, tempo, etc will usually keep you refreshed.

at some point during the day I looked outside and the weather looked quite dreary. cloudy, on the verge of rain, but not quite. by the time I left my office it was dark. I debated on running outside or treadmill at gym, but outside won out--
    Time: 01:10:28
    Distance: 8.06 mi
    Elevation Gain: 200 ft
    Calories: 1,082 C
    Avg Pace: 08:44 min/mi
    Avg Moving Pace: 08:41 min/mi
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/57739230

* this certainly wasn't my fastest run, and given how I've been running lately, I'd say it was rather slow. I've found that if I run fast in the morning, I can't swim fast at night, and also the opposite. that said, I held around 80% (other than my final sprint), and it wasn't painful, but actually rather enjoyable.
    * temp was 60F from my car when I started and the same when I finished. there were high clouds, and mixed a nearly full moon, it gave the appearance of near dawn conditions when I wasn't near lights.
    * I got 2 special treats...a taste of Las Noches de las Luninarias as I ran around the Botanical Garden, and Zoolights as I ran past the zoo. Workers were out in both locations putting the final touches on displays.
    * today was a day for my extra credit leg. I took the trail along the canal beside the Loop 202 Freeway over to Mill, then back to the marina along Tempe Town Lake.
    * sometimes you need to have a slower day. I've been pushing my long runs lately, and doing some fast pacework, that today just needed what some might call junk miles. I'll call it recovery.

so here's a quick tally of my mileage so far for 2010--
    swimming: 367.97 miles
    running: 1,371.79 miles
    cycling: 850.97 miles

I could be missing some running miles, I'll have to double-check to make sure all of my treadmill runs are in the Garmin system. It shouldn't be too far off though. I don't really log weights or elliptical.
    A gal I used to work with is doing the half I'm doing on 12/5, and she told me, "You do a half every Sunday, you just don't sign up for it!" Sounds like she's a little slower, but a friend of hers may be good to pace with, for the first 10 miles or so at least.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Running
  17. Sunday 11212010 running

by , November 21st, 2010 at 05:04 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    got up at a somewhat decent hour this morning, a good hour+ later than my ungodly early running of the summer, but I think a touch earlier than I had been starting for the past few weeks. our weatherpeople were predicting a doom+gloom weather day of cold, rain, and just miserable conditions.

anyway, to the details--
    Time: 01:50:57
    Distance: 13.21 mi
    Elevation Gain: 13 ft
    Calories: 1,767 C
    Avg Moving Pace: 08:19 min/mi
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/57448239

notes--
    * had the dog with me for the first ~5.8 miles. she has gotten far better at running with me, but still has her moments. after all, she is a dog...she tries to go after the ducks, birds, sometimes weaves when other people are near (running, bikes, etc), and tends to get extremely close to me when other dogs are near. and of course her nature breaks... we ran this same course on Thursday, and she really faded towards the end, but today she held strong the entire time.
    * listened to music again the whole time, even with the dog. I just turn it down a little lower than normal (probably where it should be anyway), just so I can hear the dog.
    * the sun was just rising as we started, temp was in the low 50s. it took a while to get real sunshine, as there were some high clouds that prevented it, but it did make for some nice colors as the sun peeked through the clouds. I'd guess the temp was near 60 when I finished.
    * it didn't rain while I was out running, nor at all yet today in this part of town at last. but it was very very windy. I took the dog on a northerly route, and it felt great--until we turned around to go back home. maybe that's why she seemed so strong, since she's low to the ground maybe the wind doesn't impact her as much as me, sticking nearly 6' up. when I went back out on my own, I went south again, right into the thick of the wind, but I did get a nice tailwind when I finally turned around. in looking at my splits, I had about a 20-25 sec/mile difference between a headwind and a tailwind.
    * otherwise, the run felt generally good. nothing extraordinary, but certainly far from bad. I probably was a bit conservative, as after I finished I felt like I could have easily coasted through another mile or 2. my heart rate seemed to drop off very quickly too, from a max near 180 down to 145 about a min later, and around 115 a min after that.
    * this was a good run to prep for my race in 2 weeks. with the stops (drop dog off, doggie pit stops, and a pit stop for myself) I wanted to do a little more than a true 13.1. my goal time is 1:45, but I'll settle for a 1:50. I've never raced a half, so it is really just seeing what happens. If I like it, I may never do another full marathon and just stick with these. I'll aim for around 10 miles next week. not planning a full taper, but I'll scale things down somewhat.

still have some lingering soreness from those Horton-esque workouts early in the week, but at least the verge to vomit was mostly gone (there was one point when I was running into the wind that it surfaced a little). I think my lifting partner will be there Monday, but he's heading to Indy for Thanksgiving, so I'll have a couple sessions solo (without the Horton influence) after that.
    considering going to the gym for a short swim down, nothing major...if I do it will be no more than 2000 yards, more playing/splashing around. otherwise, I'll get to swim workout with the team tomorrow...have to remember the change of pool. I hope the repairs to Kino aren't too bad and we get back there soon.

caught an interesting story on dieting on tv this morning:
    CBS-SundayMorning_diet-story
    I didn't realize that people have been dieting (in the US) since the 1880s!
    Categories
    Running
  18. Thursday 11182010 workouts

by , November 18th, 2010 at 11:51 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    got out for a run this morning. I was working from home, had to get lab work done at my doctor's office, so I ended up going a little later in the morning.
    Time: 01:14:56
    Distance: 9.13 mi
    Calories: 1,226 C
    Avg Pace: 08:12 min/mi
    Avg Moving Pace: 08:08 min/mi
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/57100759

notes--
    * it was fantastic running later. weather was picture perfect, temp when I was out around 65-70, and bright sunny skies.
    * I took the dog with me for the first 5.5 miles, just decided not to do a separate Garmin workout
    * since I had lab work done, they drew blood from my right arm, and initially I tried to have the dog run on my left...but she's used to the right side. once we switched back, she was great for the whole rest of the run. she hardly pulled, and the leash was loose nearly the whole run.
    * I considered taking the dog a little further, but she really started to fade towards the end. I guess 5.5 miles was enough for her.
    * after I went back out, I thought I'd just do 2-3 miles, but I felt pretty good so ran down to Queen Creek Rd.
    * for the first time, I listened to music while running with the dog, and just continued it while I was solo. not sure if there were any differences in my running speed. if I think of it, when I'm back on my desktop, I'll get my playlist.

I considered going for a ride during the day, but had a couple phone meetings and got caught up in some work. decided instead to go to my gym (just 2 miles away) and did a solo swim--
    500 swim
    200 kick (board only)
    300 drill

10 x 100 pull @ 1:30 (w/paddles + buoy)
    100 easy
    8 x 25 kick @ :50, w/fins no board, mostly underwater. 2 fly, 2 back fly kick, 2 back, 2 free
    100 easy

then played around with my snorkel for a little bit, but really didn't progress

200 w/d

total: 2600 yards

notes--
    * I can't even remember when I last did a solo swim workout. over the summer it seemed I did quite a bit, both after running and after work. while I enjoy swimming with a team and great coaches, it is sometimes nice to just do what I want.
    * I think it also helps my legs recover after a run by getting in the pool and doing at least a short swim. plus I kind of wanted to pad my flog...I'm somewhere around 360 miles.
    * decided on a pull set since Leslie did hers last week. I used the paddles I've had for over 10 years, my TYR Catalyst, size XL. since I rarely do full pull sets like this, it felt great to stretch out. I started out holding around 1:20, and gradually built them--without even trying--and did the last on around 1:10.
    * I rarely do kick sets with fins anymore, especially after running. thought I'd give it a shot, and it felt pretty good. but then again, it was only 25s, and plenty of rest.
    * the snorkel is something I'm just frustrated with. I got it over the summer, tried it a few times, and then almost forgot about it. I just keep getting water in my nose... may have to ask Paul or Laura for assistance.

Updated November 19th, 2010 at 12:15 AM by aztimm

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Running

Name:	playlist_11182010.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	79.8 KB 
ID:	6543  
  19. Tuesday 11162010 workouts

by , November 17th, 2010 at 12:46 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    made it to swim workout this morning with the team, Mesa Kino Aquatic Center (SCY)
    coach Sheila was on deck

got in 500 during the open w/u

4 x 50 @ :10 rest, 25 kick/25 build
    4 x 50 @ :10 rest, 25 drill/25 build
    4 x 50 @ :10 rest, 25 scull/25 build

200 pull (used paddles + buoy)

3 rounds of--
    150 build @ :15 rest
    2 x 50 strong @ :15 rest
    2 x 25 FAST @ :15 rest
    about a min rest between rounds

200 pull (I did it w/paddles + buoy, but didn't use the wrist straps)

200 w/d

total: 2600 yards

notes--
    * Paul was lingering around and I thought he'd jump in the lane with me, but he didn't.
    * had a small group, I had my own lane, but there were 2 guys to swim with, Kent and James, in the next lane.
    * Sheila was catching various arm entry issues with all of us. that was one reason we did more pull, she said we'd notice and so would she, if we did something wrong

I had a routine doctor's appt this morning, so I ended up working from home around that. while I was there I got a flu shot. so far I've just had a little soreness. hopefully nothing major...

so I was all set for a solo run after work. was all dressed, set the home alarm, and had my iPhone out getting it ready to queue up my running playlist. I opened the front door...and the dog somehow snuck out. before I knew it, she was over along the canal. I finally realized rather than chase her, if I just headed back home that she'd follow me. there were 3 kids playing with a ball near home, the dog ran right up to them. I yelled asking them to help catch her, and between the 4 of us we managed. I carried her back into the house and locked her in the kennel. then I finally got out for my run--
    Time: 00:55:18
    Distance: 6.53 mi
    Elevation Gain: 5 ft
    Calories: 875 C
    Avg Pace: 08:28 min/mi
    Avg Moving Pace: 08:23 min/mi
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/56986883

notes--
    * I had picked up a new pair of running shoes on Sunday, another set of the Nike Lunar Glides, this time in blue. It will be easy to tell them apart from my yellow/Livestrong version. figured a short run would be best to test them out.
    * my goal was more of a recovery type run. not necessarily slow, but more, "easy speed." I was pretty consistent in my splits, nothing too fast, nothing too slow.
    * the temp was near perfect, low 70s to upper 60s. saw an awesome sunset, then it was mostly dusk while I was running.
    * just saw a couple of others out running, mostly had the whole trail to myself, which is they way I like it.

after I got back home, I drove the dog over to the park that I had just run to, for the dog park. she loves going to socialize, and there were tons of other dogs there. I saw a Great Dane, was chatting with his owner...he is 160 pounds, looked more like a pony than a dog. she said he eats 15 cups of food a day! my dog weighs between 40 and 45 and may eat 3 cups of food a day on a big day (but she also eats yogurt and a package of wet food).
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Running
  20. Sunday 11142010: long run

by , November 14th, 2010 at 01:46 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    it felt great to sleep in yesterday and not have to do anything. after travel for the past couple of weekends, I really appreciated being home. took the dog for about a mile walk, and did tons of cleaning around the house. hopefully it won't be quite as bad next week now...

got up for my run this morning, temp was rather brisk (around 43F I think). I put on a running shirt, short sleeves, shorts, and took the dog out for a little bit--

Time: 00:41:59
    Distance: 5.03 mi
    Elevation Gain: 6 ft
    Calories: 674 C
    Avg Pace: 08:21 min/mi
    Avg Moving Pace: 08:14 min/mi
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/56678374

For the first mile, she kept stopping, I thought she'd go to the bathroom, but she didn't. Finally she went, when were just north of Pecos. So we turned around, I threw away the bag (I hate carrying it while running), and we went South. Crossed Germann, and went all the way down to Queen Creek.
    It was rather amusing as we ran past a dairy farm. All of the cows seemed to look over, in a not-so-friendly manner. I've run past this farm so many times and never experienced this. But this was the first time I ran past with the dog.
    She was a bit of a pain for the first 1-1/2 miles, wanting to explore, crossing in front of me, etc. I was tempted to drop her off, but maybe she got tired out sufficiently to at least follow me after that.
    my heart rate monitor fell off my chest and was around my waist for most of this run, so any HR readings are pretty much a waste.

dropped her off at home (fixed my heart rate monitor) and got in a little more distance--
    Time: 01:31:42
    Distance: 10.65 mi
    Elevation Gain: 11 ft
    Calories: 1,420 C
    Avg Pace: 08:36 min/mi
    Avg Moving Pace: 08:33 min/mi
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/56678380

it was still chilly out, but sunny, and warmed up nicely. I had some nice music to keep me going also.
    there were other people out, but not as many as a couple of weeks ago. evidently we have many fair weather exercisers here...which amounts to them getting out for maybe 6 weeks a year.
    a balloon launched ahead of me just after I crossed Pecos, and I followed it for a couple of miles, it made a nice target.
    decided to go north, hadn't gone up that far for several months, I was on a south-bound canal trail kick since I think my London vacation.
    definitely hit my target distance for the day (~15 miles, which I did with the dog + solo), and this will probably be my longest until after my race. I'm pretty happy with the pace too, not too shabby for this distance, although I really didn't look very much while I was out.
    Funny thing about the music...I had 2 versions of both, "Defying Gravity," (Broadway and West End version) and, "Bad Romance," (Lady Gaga and the Glee version) come up, rather odd.
    Soul Asylum's, "Somebody to shove," came on as I was on a straightway with views of Four Peaks...always reminds me of going to mosh pits back in the day.
    Had a great finish, with a great song to match, Pink Floyd's, "Run like Hell," which brings back memories of seeing them live at the Vet in Philly, one of the best live shows I've ever seen (probably a close call between them and U2).
    Categories
    Running

Name:	playlist_11142010.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	83.4 KB 
ID:	6542  
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast