Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    Do you mean the one at CYC? I had a good meet there several years back. They have threatened to hold another meet on and off, but I don't think there has been one since.
    yea the W-B CYC. I heard about the meet they had, but after the fact. I grew up in that area and have hoped to swim a meet there, together with a visit with family for years.
    I think my high school used that pool for the swim team (I didn't swim on it), and it sounds like they still do, except the high school changed names (they consolidated a few schools together).
    I swam in the pool a few years ago, a friend from high school was coaching an age group team there and he invited me to join them for a workout. the new pool is very nice, but it is too bad they didn't also keep the old one (the Y put in a new pool and kept the old, but that old one is pretty nasty).
    For a city of that size, there's decent pools, the CYC, YMCA, JCC, Meyers HS, and King's College. Plus a few others nearby (Pittston Y, College Miseracordia, a few other high schools, etc). And of course Scranton and Hazleton aren't that far either.
    was planning to do a USMS meet in PA on 11/16, but the website hasn't been updated, and the aquatics director ignores my emails (would be nice if they at least let me know it wasn't happening).
    Do you mean the one at CYC? I had a good meet there several years back. They have threatened to hold another meet on and off, but I don't think there has been one since.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    How were the actual hotel rooms at the Del? I was there for a meeting a couple years ago, but didn't stay at the property. While the location was beautiful and the exterior magnificent, I found the main area to be a bit too dated and dark.
    The rooms seemed like they had recently been remodeled. My room was more than adequate, with a huge walk-in closet, huge bathroom, and decent bedroom. Had a nice balcony, with a few chairs (even a rocking chair).

The odd thing is, each room is different. My co-workers and I were comparing rooms on Thursday, and even rooms next to each other could be quite different. Out of the lot, my room seemed the best.

Because it is old and was added onto, there are odd slopes in the room. Walking from the bed to the bathroom I felt like I was going uphill. Even the hallways sloped up and down. The hallway on the 3rd floor was reminiscent of The Shining.

There are different types of rooms too. We were all in the main building. There's also cottages, which can go for $3000/night. There's a more modern tower that was built in the 80s (awesome views, but tiny balconies, and hardly any character), and something in-between.
    The nice thing about being there for a site visit (we're doing a huge event there next year) was being able to see nearly the whole property, all different kinds of rooms, as well as the ballrooms and meeting spaces.
    They did put on a great dinner tasting for us, I always enjoy those. The chef surfs almost every day before he comes into work.
    How were the actual hotel rooms at the Del? I was there for a meeting a couple years ago, but didn't stay at the property. While the location was beautiful and the exterior magnificent, I found the main area to be a bit too dated and dark.
    Ahhh.... so envious! Sounds like a great way to start the monring. I wish my folks lived closer to Coronado, but they're in the north part of San Diego. Thanks for sharing!
    The Coronado pool is a gem. I've swum there a couple of times and wish I had more business trips to the San Diego to swim there more often. As for living there, I am sure that the sun, sand, surf, fine restaurants, and all that jazz would get old after awhile -- you'd miss the nice 115+ summers!

Have a great time in Coronado. I grew up in SAN and miss it some days, especially when it's well over 100 here in Dallas. Take pics of that new pool, maybe?
    I guess that 10 bucks is ok since the pool is new and it is LCM!
    "why Olympians want to swim in a small local USMS meet is beyond me"-it is called narcissism.
    I am glad the race went off. I was wondering if they were going to have to cancel it due to all of the rain.

Will you be at the State Champs race in two weeks? The water should be even nicer then.
    I don't know, the AZ Republic had an interesting story about Tempe Town Lake water conditions yesterday, with some rather graphic photos. So far I seem to be ok, but I'll be on the lookout for any strange symptoms.

As for the next, while I'd like to, I think it is rather doubtful. My team is hosting a local SCM meet the day before, and it is just really tough to do 2 days of back-to-back swimming.
    I am glad the race went off. I was wondering if they were going to have to cancel it due to all of the rain.

Will you be at the State Champs race in two weeks? The water should be even nicer then.
    1:04 is fine off the blocks at practice.

I thought I will tell you, the new Aquatic Director at the Upper Main Line Y, Berwyn worked in Colorado Springs, Arizona, and UK. He was saying to a few masters swimmer who belongs there how come they can't be 3 coached Masters workouts at day at this place like in Arizona! I thought of you guys in Mesa when I heard that. I would give him(the new AD) mad props if he could pull that off!
    Awesome OW adventures the last few days. That lake looks quite beautiful.
    Thanks Patrick! I thought of both you and swimsuit_addict while I did all of these swims. Funny, when I was growing up there I hardly went out to these lakes to swim. But now that I don't live there, I take advantage of them when I go in for visits.

Are you doing the Tempe Town Lake swims in Sept? There's 2, a 3k and a 4k.
    I'm registered for the 3k, and will probably also register for the 4k. I kind of want to see the schedule for our MMAC swim meet, not sure when that will be out.
    Awesome OW adventures the last few days. That lake looks quite beautiful.
    Thanks guys! I'd highly recommend this 5k swim, so long as you want to do a 5k swim

And Sojerz , many people (even from elsewhere in PA) don't realize the elevation that Hazleton is at. Sure, nothing like Denver or Flagstaff, but high for this area. Between higher elevation, along with many of these being spring-fed lakes, they really don't get that warm.

Oh, and I was able to upload some pictures
    Great weekend, Tim - nice job with the race. Sounds like a great cap to the weekend!
    Wow - nice trip Tim and some nice OW swims. Although I would have guessed a little higher water temps by this date in August, it has bee a fairly mild summer with some low night time temps. Enjoy.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    I think I have 8 or 9 states to go. Last year I went on a binge and added 3 to my list (ND, MI, and RI)
    Most of my remaining are in the Southeast US, but one is a state you frequent often (MT).
    I'd highly recommend the next time you want an 'escape the heat' summer vacation, you book a lakeside rental through VRBO on Flathead Lake. Look around Bigfork, Lakeside, Somers and you'll also be relatively close (~45 minute drive) to great mountain activities on Big Mountain. Polson is a great town on the southern edge of the lake that has the advantage of the great OW race I did and an indoor pool to train in.

Seriously, though, in July/August, this part of Montana has about picture perfect summer weather.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    It is must easier to do circle swimming when slow people show up in a LCM lane. When it is in yards or SCM, they need to go swim with other people their own speed.
    I agree. I remember at a pool in Tokyo, they had just 2 lanes for lap swimming (the rest was open/free for all). You swam down one lane, flipped under the line, then back in the other. Not the best situation, but it worked.
    Looks like an awesome facility.

How close are you to the 50 by 50 goal?
    The facility is ok. Not new, I'm guessing 15 or so years old. Like I said, I'm spoiled with Kino as my, "home," pool.

I think I have 8 or 9 states to go. Last year I went on a binge and added 3 to my list (ND, MI, and RI)
    Most of my remaining are in the Southeast US, but one is a state you frequent often (MT).
    In order to, "count," (my definition of count), I have to at least eat in the state while driving through. Staying overnight is preferable. An airport connection doesn't cut it. So although I've been to the Atlanta airport several times, I don't yet, "count," Georgia as a state I've been to (haven't been there other than that).