Blog Comments

I think they were actually supposed to be fast. I mixed in some stroke, I'd guess I was around 85-90%. The last 6 x 25 he did specify as fast, and I guess I was 90%+.

The cool air really hit my lungs and I struggled for a bit...don't remember that happening before. The water was nice and warm though.
    The 25s were just recovery?
    Yup, Reality Bites soundtrack. I was kind of obsessed with her glasses. I actually just had that song play on my car iPod. I wonder how that movie has stood up to the test of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    This song was from Reality bites in 1994. Singles came out in 1992. I remember that this song was a big hit in 1994. Although Lisa had some hits, Her music career kind didn't really take off after this song. Gosh, I miss the 90s or more the mid 90s!
    haha, guess I should have fact checked while I was looking for the video
    I saw both movies, and they had similar music, and evidently I have both soundtracks.
    This song was from Reality bites in 1994. Singles came out in 1992. I remember that this song was a big hit in 1994. Although Lisa had some hits, Her music career kind didn't really take off after this song. Gosh, I miss the 90s or more the mid 90s!
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    At least, your gym pool is open on Thanksgiving. I do have one practice option. I just need to get up early enough to get there.
    true, maybe I'll actually wake up early for the nicer outside pool

I'll be in PA just before the BU meet...any meets going on over the weekend of Dec 7-8? I'm going to try to swim a couple times up in Wilkes-Barre or Hazleton while I'm there this time (Dec 7 to 12).
    Are you going to the BU meet? You could always ride along with me, but you'd need to get back to Philly on your own
    At least, your gym pool is open on Thanksgiving. I do have one practice option. I just need to get up early enough to get there.
    One thing I keep in mind for any of my extra-curricular activities is that my goal is that I do them for fun. Riding for 6-7 hours (the guy you talked to must have been pretty fast!) in driving cold rain certainly doesn't sound like fun.
    Most of this comes from when I was younger and in the Army. I didn't have a choice...I've done many runs in cold/snow/rain/sleet/hail, not to mention going out to the field in really horrible conditions (2 weeks in Korea out in the field for, "Team Spirit," where mud was really bad).
    Now that I have a choice, my choice is usually to stay inside, where it is warm & dry, with Holly (and more than likely a kitty) cuddled up next to me
    Tim, I didn't hear about the death; that is horrible any time, but especially in an event. I talked with a guy from Tucson at the swim meet on Sunday who had done the Tour on Saturday. You made the right call, indeed. He said it was like 5 hours of riding through driving, icy rain with a death grip on his handle bars and fear every time he rode through a wash that he'd get knocked off by the rushing water or hit a submerged pothole. He was amongst many who were treated for hypothermia after the race. Not a fun day at all.
    it is the first time I've ever had a goatee, and I've gotten mostly positive comments.
    So when are you going to post some selfies ?
    I would need a "mo-decade" to grow a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I like that workout. The yardage was high because of all the recovery swimming. do people in Paul's practices know what their 100/200/500 pace is? My swimmers seem pretty clueless ...
    Oh yes, I agree it was high yardage with all the recovery swimming. Not that I'm complaining

And no, I'd guess over half of us don't know what our pace is for every event. I swam the 100 free in a meet about 1-1/2 year ago, so I know that. For 200/500, I pretty much just guess (I figure I could swim a 500 in 6:15, which is 1:15 per 100). At a workout a few weeks ago, Paul gave me some goal times when I told him I didn't know.
    I like that workout. The yardage was high because of all the recovery swimming. do people in Paul's practices know what their 100/200/500 pace is? My swimmers seem pretty clueless ...
    well after today's ride, I'm now leaning toward doing el Tour. I did it last year, and I mostly liked it. there are 2 washes where you pretty much have to dismount and walk your bike through (I put mountain pedals on my road bike and wore mountain shoes). since my bike is nice and light I just put it on my shoulder to carry though. a few people tried to ride through but weren't successful...
    that said, the fun of riding ~111 miles comes/goes. I do remember how people were out cheering, with water, oranges, etc nearly everywhere. in one spot cars were stopped so we could get through...and people got out and were along the road cheering us on. the city just gets so into it.

I'm about 90% in for doing the New England LMSC SCM meet at BU in mid-Dec. I've done it twice before, and it is a really great meet.
    Oh, come on, it's el Tour! Tucson is mostly flat, you can always bail out part way through (can't you do shorter distances instead of the full tour?). Ooh, and you could go to Joe's Pancake House for breakfast. Or El Minuto for lunch.....they have the best chicken soup on the planet (and I'm Jewish - I know chicken soup!).

If you choose the Masters meet instead, tell Jeff Commings for me if he's there. Tell him Kae says hi from England. Though I'd do Tucson instead. One of my former ADOT coworkers does it every year (Teresa Welborn, look for her if you go, and tell her Kae says hi if you find her. She and her huband do the whole Tour, I believe).

Ah, sometimes I do miss Arizona.
    One of SwimSwam's latest tips from coaches was to use fins in warm up. The idea is to de-weight the shoulders and let them get warmed up slowly. It's supposed to reduce injuries. Your legs are probably already fatigued from the biking and running and hence the fin cramps.
    Great job on the set! Particularly that 1:07 at the end!

And my 100 cold down was mixed with a bit of standing around and socializing
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    The odd thing was, I actually felt pretty good during the massage and a few hours after. But later that day, it really hit me. Oh well, live and learn. She did say how my whole body seemed very warm.

I'll probably just do the Back Bay Hilton again, but I haven't looked at prices. There's a few other options I guess. If I get a car for my treck down to PA, I guess I could keep it and stay further afield to save money...but then that would mean more actual driving (and parking) in Boston, which is dreadful.
    Would be great to meet another forumite! Although he certainly wouldn't be in any of my heats, unless maybe if he sandbags the 200 br
    You can really stay anywhere on the red, silver, or orange line and get to BU by the T trains pretty easily. There are some good hotels near MIT (Kendall Square).
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    I hadn't seen that, and it looks pretty cool! When I first saw the colors I thought maybe there was more to it

My goal is to hit every one of the 50 states before I turn 50. I have some time, and added 2 new ones to the list this year too (ND and MI), but adding 2 more would be great.
    For it to, "count," for me, you need to at least eat or sleep there. Just driving through doesn't, "count," but you can set whatever definition you'd like. Although I've passed through ATL a few times, I've never left, so I don't, "count," Georgia, yet.

Maybe I should plan a meet down your way...I could knock off a bunch of states in one trip (the SE is where I have the most left now)
    I just need Hawaii. I count driving through, if I stop, but not changing planes unless I'm stranded for more than 12 hours in an airport. That's how I had Texas for a long time but I have since been to Austin for several days. I think at this point I have spent a night in most of the states I had previously counted on the basis of driving through except for Delaware and North Dakota.

The Auburn meet in February is a lot of fun! That's the biggest in the Southeastern LMSC. In 2015 it should be right before Mardi Gras which could make a fun swimming/vacation trip. I am now obligated to tell you that Mobile has had Mardi Gras longer than New Orleans has been a city. This is major point of civic pride.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Massages when sick are always a bad idea!

I have booked my hotel room for the BU meet and have a good flight I'm about to book. Here's to hoping we're both healthy for the meet! Water Rat will be there on Saturday too.
    The odd thing was, I actually felt pretty good during the massage and a few hours after. But later that day, it really hit me. Oh well, live and learn. She did say how my whole body seemed very warm.

I'll probably just do the Back Bay Hilton again, but I haven't looked at prices. There's a few other options I guess. If I get a car for my treck down to PA, I guess I could keep it and stay further afield to save money...but then that would mean more actual driving (and parking) in Boston, which is dreadful.
    Would be great to meet another forumite! Although he certainly wouldn't be in any of my heats, unless maybe if he sandbags the 200 br