View RSS Feed

Running

Primarily a running workout

1. Monday 01282012, another soggy swim

by , January 29th, 2013 at 12:28 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    went to Mesa-Kino for the AM masters workout

100 w/u

2 x (150 various drills
    100 swim)

12 x 75 @ 1:20, done as 3 rounds of:
    * build up
    * build down
    * all easy
    * FAST

12 x 25 kick no board @ :30 (used fins on back)

4 x 200 swim @ 3:30
    --first 100 build to 70%
    --next 50, build to 80%
    --last 50, build to 90%

6 x 25 kick @ :30 (used board + fins)

400 pull, used buoy + paddles. did 75 free/25 back/75 free/25 breast

250 w/d

TTL: 3300 yards

it was a major downpour when I arrived at Kino.
    the parking lot was full. I just assumed there must be other groups. but I walked in with a woman who coaches, and she said the kids were off this morning. the Navy seals guys were in the warm-up pool. but we had a few people doing the hour postal, and an unusually high number of people swimming...I had never seen so many masters swimmers at a Kino workout before. there were people in the diving well, and every lane of the main pool.

I was a little late, and with the downpour I was trying to find someplace dry to stow my bag. ended up getting in a lane where Laura coached, which was fine. don't know how she keeps such a positive attitude in such miserable, dreary conditions.
    I liked much of the set. well 75 fast was a bit tough (taking them really fast). I always like the mix of different things that Laura gives us. but I didn't quite care for beginning with a mix of different drills (they varied by 25, and she went through each), with a cold rain pouring down.

the rain stopped during the day...but then started back up again just as I was leaving work. I can't remember getting this much rain here before. I think they said we've had around 2" since last Thurs, which for here is a big thing.

anyway, I went to the gym after work:
    Tmill: 21 min, 273 cal, 2.4 miles, avg 6.8 mph
    2 min warmup
    Jump to 6.8 mph, increase to 7.6
    A min warmdown

Leg rolling: 5 min
    Plank w forearms on roller: 2 x 1:00
    Push-ups: 3 x 25
    Step ups on small stoll: 3 x 10 each leg (forward)

Stretching: spent a good 5 min doing a variety of stretches....from legs sitting on a mat, standing, hips, arms, neck, etc. I don't do enough of this, and the massage gal always scolds me for it.
    I thought of doing pullups, but that area was crazy busy. and was going to do a cool-down swim, but got to chatting with a friend for a bit.
    the run actually felt decent. had a few good songs that came on and kept me in-step and going.
    Tags: team swim
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Running
  2. Wednesday 01162013, kick in the speedo workout

by , January 17th, 2013 at 12:25 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    before I get into this morning's set, I didn't get out to bike yesterday, but I went up to spin class at the gym:

spin class @ Tempe 24 Hour Fitness 24 mi 01:10 20.6mph pace

I hadn't biked since last Thurs, yea I guess I could have managed some rides, the highs have been 45-50, but I just wasn't feeling it. but today I felt a bit guilty, so went up to spin class. I didn't care for it too much the last time (about a month ago), but today wasn't bad. it was more of a long sustained steady pace, with minimal 'hills' to work on. music was horrible, but oh well. my shirt was drenched when I finished, and there was a puddle under my bike. afterward, I told the instructor that it felt like I was on Riggs Rd riding around South Mountain--and he laughed
    I did a cool-down swim in the gym pool after that, 600m, along with some stretching in the gym hot tub.

went up to Mesa-Kino this morning for the AM masters swim workout
    we were in the main pool (SCY)
    Paul coached solo

100 w/u

main set, no extra breaks:
    4 x 300 @ 4:20
    1 x 100 @ 1:15
    3 x 300 @ 4:10
    2 x 100 @ 1:20
    2 x 300 @ 4:00
    3 x 100 @ 1:25
    1 x 300 @ 3:50
    4 x 100 @ 1:30

after a min or so rest, we did a short wrap-up set:
    10 x 25 @ :20, swim w/fins

200 w/d

TTL: 4550 yards

if this wasn't a kick in the speedo, I don't know what was. and these were the intervals for my lane (of 3), the fast folks, well I don't even want to know what their intervals were.

it was chilly again this morning, tho not as frigid as it had been. my car said 31F as I left home, and it actually went up to 33F by the time I got to Kino. I think it still dropped a hair, as my flip-flops were glazed over by the time I got out, but my mesh bag wasn't crunchy with ice.

as for that set... no, it was not pleasant at all, not in the least from the very beginning. my legs were really fried from that spin last night, and I drank quite a bit of G2 during and after it. I made the intervals, but it wasn't easy, even that 4:20. I think I got 5-8 sec on those, and have no idea how I did the 100 on 1:15. I just kept telling myself that there was no need to push too much, as things would just get worse. the 3 @ 4:10 got slightly better...but my rest was very minimal, and the 100s @ 1:20 still were right after each other.
    I pulled the 2 300s @ 4:00 (paddles + buoy) and it really made a huge difference. got plenty of rest after those, then used the 100s @ 1:25 to recover more (swam those). just swam that last 300, but took off my drag suit, and kept up with the 2 others in my lane.

those last 25s were really just a leg burner. I made them all, but closed in on the gal ahead of me in the lane. would be interesting to do that without equipment.

after a rather crazy day at work (where all kinds of people suddenly needed to call me, all for various reasons), I barely made it out the door to get to Toastmasters. but was glad I went.

I went to the Chandler 24 Hour Fitness to close out the day:
    Tmill: 28 min, 380 cal, 3.32 miles, avg 7.1 mph
    2 min warmup
    Start at 6.8 mph, increase to 8.1 mph
    A min cool down

Plank w forearms on green Swiss ball: 2 x 1:30
    Side plank: continuous two rounds of 45 sec right, 45 sec left
    Right into a min of normal plank

Push-ups: 4 x 25, began a new set every min, so ~35 sec rest

Stretches, including 3 downward dogs for 15 sec each

Pull-ups: 3 x 8 + 5 sec horiz legs (needed a little more rest between sets)

Leg raises on captain's chair: 3 x 15

then did an easy 300 yard recovery swim and some stretching in the hot tub.

I know I'm going to feel that push-up set late tomorrow or Friday. it felt good while I was doing it though...

it was really tough doing those pull-ups after that.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Running
  3. Monday 01142013: chilly AM swim

by , January 15th, 2013 at 12:20 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    went up to Mesa-Kino for the AM masters swim workout
    we were in the main pool (LCM)
    Paul & Laura coached, I think the same set

got in 200 w/u

4 x 50 @ 1:10, IMO (I did free/back/breast/free)

200 easy kick

300 done 25 drill/50 swim, IMO (I did 50 fly drill, 25 free, then the rest as told)

200 easy kick

4 x 100 @ 2:00, supposed to be IM or a variation, with at least some non-free in each
    I did 25 fly drill/75 free, 50 back/50 free, 75 breast/25 free, 100 IM

200 easy kick

400 swim w/paddles, done as 25 free/15 breast, 2-3 strokes 'easy' fly, easy breast to wall, keep repeating

4 x 200 @ 3:30, pull w/buoy + paddles

200 w/d

TTL: 3100m

yea I know I was planning to go to the nice & comfy indoor pool @ the Tempe 24 Hour Fitness. then I exchanged some FB messaged with a gal I swim with, who convinced me to come to Kino...
    my car said it was 28F when I left home, and it varied a degree or 2 on the drive up, but was about the same when I got to Kino.
    it wasn't too horrible. I brought a coat (yes I have a winter coat), put it on top of my sweatshirt after I left the car, but still had on my usual board shorts. I knew Laura would comment--heck she said she'd comment if I wasn't wearing them too
    it didn't feel bad walking across the bulkhead to a lane, but once I dove in, my arms felt like pins + needles for a few meters.

as for the set, it wasn't as long as I had planned, but had a good variety. and I hadn't planned any back or fly, not that I did a ton today, but any is more than nothing. Paul gave me some feedback on my backstroke...get my hips up and my feet should be kicking close to the surface.

that 400 swim w/paddles was interesting. of course the free was fine. I varied doing breast with a whip kick (usual breast kick) and a dolphin (fly) kick. it certainly wasn't easy switching to a fly stroke, but it was a tad easier while doing dolphin kick than whip kick.
    after we finished, I told Paul, "there's no such thing as 'easy fly.'" He told me, "you just need to work on it." which of course is true.

now the challenge came with getting out of the water. my mesh bag (where I keep all of my toys) had iced over on the bulkhead. after I saw that, I looked at my flip flops, which also had a glaze of ice...so I dunked them in the warm water to get rid of it. I put all the toys in the bag while still in the water, so I just had to pull myself out, put on the somewhat warm flip flops, grab all the stuff...put kickboards away, then put on my waiting coat, grabbed my bags, and quickly moved to the locker room. it wasn't as bad as I expected...I think putting on the coat helped, especially since I was warmed up from swimming in the warm water.

one of these days I need to invest in a parka. I've seen orders for them every fall...both with Sun Devil and Mesa Masters, and I've just ignored them. it certainly would make the whole experience much more palatable.

even after a hot shower, getting back in my heated car (with the heated seat on), I was still cold when I got to the office. I pulled out my little electric heater (we're not supposed to have them, but I lock it in a drawer), set it to 72, and it was on for a good hour. even by the time I was leaving work I still didn't feel warm...and by that point the outside temp was on its way back down.

I ended up going to the Chandler 24 Hour Fitness for a little bit after work:

Tmill: 27 min, 364 cal, 3.19 miles, avg 7 mph
    2 min warmup
    Start at 6.8 and increase to 8.0 mph
    A min warmdown

Plank w forearms on roller: 2 x 1:30
    Side plank: two rounds of (45 sec right/45 sec left)
    Various stretches, plank, push-ups

Pull-ups: 3 x 8 + 5 sec horiz legs

it took me quite a while to warm-up. usually I start sweating around 8 min into a run, today it was closer to 12. but once there, my body seemed to make up for the late start and I was really nice and warm by the time I finished. my goal was 3 miles, and I made it.

the rollers here seem much more firm than the Mesa gym. almost painful...but in a good way (I hope)

still not doing weights. maybe on Wed, if I make it there, I'll do some sets of pushups and ease into some other body-weight stuff. have a massage scheduled for Friday and would like to wait until after that to get back to real weights.

one more night of this big chill...then just hovering around freezing for Tues night/Wed morning, then hopefully back to normal.
    was texting with a friend in PA today who asked me how I was surviving the chill. I told him how we probably lost most of our oranges (the tree itself should be fine), and how most of the orange crop from AZ and CA is lost too. not only that, but most salad items (lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower, etc) are grown in S Cal/AZ, and most of those crops had severe damage. so prices of these foods will go up.
    so there's more to all this than just me whining about the cold.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Running
  4. Mon 0107 to Wed 01092012

by , January 9th, 2013 at 11:29 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    Monday 0107:
    Paul coached solo

missed w/u

4 x 300:
    #1 75 swim/25 scull
    #2 kick
    #3 pull
    #4 IM

10 x 50 @ :55

4 x 200, same pattern as 300s

8 x 50 @ 1:05
    --odds stroke (did breast)
    --evens free

200 w/d

TTL: 3100m

I went to the gym Monday after work:
    Tmill: .87 miles, 8:32, 97 cal, avg 6.1 mph

#2: 2.46 miles, 21 min, 282 cal, avg 7.0 mph

Side plank: 2 x (45 sec right, 45 sec left)
    Various plank, push-up (20), and stretches

Pull-ups: 3 x 8 + 5 sec horiz legs

was having some stomach issues... wanted to swim Tues morning, but didn't sleep well Mon night, so I slept in and skipped.

Tues 0108
    snuck out during the day for a little spin:
    base miles spin 33.32 mi 01:47 18.7mph pace

I'm really a cold weather wimp. Waited until after 10am, to start, and I was still a bit chilly riding when it was around 40F. Didn't have much time so just did one of my old favorites, over to the Sheraton Wild Horse Pass and back.
    That said, with lows expected in the mid-20s this weekend, I will probably give the Cassa Grande Century a pass. I don't have any cold weather gear...
    http://app.strava.com/activities/36777067

went to the Toastmasters Leadership Institute Tues night (6-10pm), so no other workouts. and barely got up this morning...that 10pm end time, which meant home then in bed around 11pm, was much later than normal

Wed 0109
    another trip to Mesa-Kino
    Paul & Laura coached, I was with Paul's group

missed w/u (had a hard time getting moving)

main 1 (no additional breaks):
    200 IM @ 3:30
    100 @ 1:40
    50 easy @ 1:00

2 x 100 @ 1:40

3 x 100 @ 1:40

4 x 100 @ 1:40

main 2 (after about a min break, again no additional rest), I wore paddles + buoy:
    easy 50 @ 1:00
    3 x 100 @ 1:30
    200 @ 3:00

2 x 100 @ 1:30

100 @ 1:30

fast 50 kick on back (I did backstroke w/my paddles + buoy)

200 w/d

TTL: 3600m

this workout was a real kick in the pants, especially after missing yesterday, being up late last night, and missing warm-up.
    I dove in a little late, not really knowing what the set was (I think he just gave it in pieces), figuring I'd catch up during a rest break...which never came. the only thing resembling IM I did was swimming a 50 breast as the 3rd 50 of the 200. actually for that whole set 1, I really didn't know what we were doing, and it was mostly just a long continuous swim for me. I can usually make 100s @ 1:40, but evidently not today.

after that little break (at most a minute), Paul said to wear fins for set 2. my legs weren't feeling like being overworked (not that my shoulders were either), but the lesser of 2 evils seemed to be pulling. and I actually made all of the intervals with the paddles on.

we're supposed to have near record cold temps this coming weekend. out where I live, we'll probably see lows around 25F. we took down the Christmas lights from the house...and put them right into the ficus trees in the backyard. they've helped before to keep them warm enough to prevent frost damage.
    I'm supposed to do a bike event Sunday (Casa Grande Century), starting from near home. but I have no cold weather biking gear, other than these base layer shirts. it was only $35, so I won't feel too bad sleeping in and skipping it (unless something changes).

the first AZ LMSC meet of the year is in Tucson in a couple of weeks. I'm actually thinking of going to it. we may have a few people from my team. I didn't do any SCY meets last year, and barely did one the prior year (swam 2 events), and none for 8 years before that.
    I chatted with Paul after workout recently and asked if they'd have a SCY meet, and it doesn't sound like they will. I always try to do our team meets, so long as I'm in town and healthy. but it sounds like they always struggle to get enough people to show.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Running , Cycling
  5. Friday 01042013

by , January 5th, 2013 at 01:04 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    Paul coached solo

got in 300 w/u

warm-up sets:
    4 x 100 @ about 2:00 (Paul's sendoff), with various parts build or fast
    100 easy kick
    4 x 100 @ 1:00 IM (I didn't do fly)
    100 easy kick

main sets:
    4 x 50 @ 2:00 FAST (squeezed in 100 easy in between)
    --did #2 & #4 off the blocks, 35-46
    200 recovery

3 x 50 @ 2:00 FAST backstroke
    --times 46-47
    200 recovery

2 x 50 @ 2:00 fAST breaststroke
    --times 44-45
    200 recovery

50 FAST free off the blocks, in 1 min waves

300 w/d

TTL: 2800m

I thought I'd have a hard time waking up and getting to swim for the 5:45am start time, but it really wasn't as bad as I expected (but I did feel it around 2pm).

we had 4 lanes of the pool, a college group had the other 4. we had 6 people in my lane, and I went 2nd the whole time.

the first set of 4 x 50 had a fly option, but I opted for free. the funny thing was, a fast gal was in the next lane and I could *almost* keep up with her, me doing free while she did fly.
    my backstroke sucks. yea I can do it, I could probably do a 200+ if I really wanted to, but it is slow. and I'd bet it looks horrible. and my breaststroke is faster.
    the breast legs weren't bad at all. before we started, that fast gal told me that she'd have to work to keep up with me (breast isn't her thing).
    I thought my free leg was pretty decent at 34.5. Until a guy who is almost always slower than me finished, he was complaining about his time, which was 33.9. I'm not really a sprinter, but he didn't have to rub it in

this was my first day in the office of the new year, and I had a bunch of calls scheduled. it made the day go by fast, but I was really wiped out, could have used a nap around 2pm. but I was determined to go to the gym...

went over to the 24 Hour Fitness @ Mesa-Riverview after work:

Tmill: 27 min, 370.2 cal, 3.25 miles, avg 7.2 mph
    2 min warmup
    Jump to 7.0 mph, increase to 8.3
    1 min warmdown

I hadn't planned to do weights anyway. after my back thing last week, I decided to take at least a week or 2 off. but I had planned to do more....
    I got to the gym, changed, and went on the treadmill. got in about 4-5 min (maybe 1/2 mile), when the fire alarm went off. evidently there was a small fire in the conference room. so they evacuated the entire facility. I waited outside (thankfully it wasn't too cold, around 55-60) and waited with everyone else for about 25-30 min until they cleared us to go back in.
    after all that, I just didn't have much time, but I was determined to get in 3 miles
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Running
  6. Wednesday 12192012

by , December 20th, 2012 at 12:35 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    again we had the entire main pool (LCM)
    Paul & Laura coached, I was with Paul's group

2 x 100 @ 1:40
    300 choice

4 x 100 @ 1:35
    300 choice

6 x 100 @ 1:30 (used paddles + buoy)
    300 choice

8 x 100 @ 1:25 (used fins + paddles)
    300 choice

4 x 50 kick @ 1:00 (used fins + board)

100 w/d

TTL: 3500m

it was a bit chilly this morning, upper 30s, so it was very quick getting in the water. and very quick getting out and getting into the locker room (and a bit painful). thankfully the water is nice and warm (I'd guess at least 80F).

I swam with 2 guys, one is quite a bit faster (he occasionally visits the forums so I won't say who, but he does some very long swims ). I went 3rd, but with LCM we go 10 sec apart, so I had no draft.

once Paul gave the second bit to the set (he gave the set in bits), I figured out what would be coming next... I can usually handle swimming 100s LCM @ 1:30 but today I just wasn't feeling it, so I grabbed my paddles. then I certainly knew 1:25 would be a challenge, but it wasn't so bad with fins + paddles.

this puts me just over 488 miles YTD. just 12 to go...and if I do our 100 x 100m on 12/29 I'll get over 6 right there
    (still debating if I'll do it)

I had an appt with my eye doctor today, actually one eye has gotten better since last year. but she dilated my eyes...after that, working proved a challenge. I normally like to open my blinds in the afternoon (get morning sun), but today I didn't.
    went out to lunch with a co-worker to Oregano's, ate way too much, and between that and my eyes still recovering, I felt like I could use a nap all afternoon.

I purposely waited to leave work until 5:30, just after the sun set, so I could drive a bit easier...and headed to the gym.
    traffic was suddenly a PITA, maybe we have winter visitors, other holiday visitors, and people just being stupid. anything remotely connected to shopping seemed busy, but thankfully the gym parking lot was nearly empty when I got there:

Tmill: 21 min, 275 cal, 2.4 miles, avg 6.8 mph
    2 min warmup
    Jump to 6.9 mph and increase to 7.7
    A min warmdown

Various plank, push-ups, stretches

Decline bench: 2 x 12 x 135, 1 x 10 x 135, 1 x 6 x 145

Triceps skull crushers: 2 x 12 x 65 + 6, 1 x 10 x 70 + 5

Free motion dual cable cross chest fly: 1 x 15 x 60, 1 x 12 x 70, 1 x 10 x 80, 2 x 9 x 85

I just wore my glasses to the gym (after wearing them all day I didn't feel like putting in my contacts), and working out just seemed odd.
    I didn't get into, "the zone," at all running, so I just did my ~20 min run. had some decent music, but it just seemed a constant struggle.

I worked in with another guy on the decline bench. it was kinda nice, we both were lifting 135, spotted for each other, then he left, so I added a little more weight.
    while doing my roller stuff, I saw the Freemotion machines in the stretching area; hardly anyone uses those. there's 2 in the main weights area that are always occupied, so I used one of the secret ones

supposed to be cold here again tonight. actually where I live they're calling for a freeze warning. we covered some plants out front, as well as our vegetable garden. it will be tough to get up early and swim if it is that cold (or I could just opt for the indoor gym pool).

Updated December 20th, 2012 at 12:43 AM by aztimm

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Running
  7. Monday 12172012

by , December 18th, 2012 at 01:20 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    Paul & Laura coached
    I was with Paul's group in the main pool (LCM); Laura's group was in the warm-up pool (SCY)

5 x 100 @ :20 rest, 25 scull/75 swim

10 x 50 @ :50, "to get the blood flowing"

500 pull (used paddles + buoy), focus on low stroke count (was around 33-35)

10 x 50 @ 1:10, non-free (did 4 breast, 1 back)

5 x 100 social kick @ :20 rest. used board + fins, and 3 of us all kicked together and chatted (a rarity for me)

300 choice (used paddles + buoy)

200 w/d

TTL: 3000m

I thought I got there with a few minutes to get in warm-up, but as soon as I got on deck (well the bulkhead), Paul held up the group.
    we had 4 lanes of the main pool (half), while a college group came and used the remainder. I hate to say team, as there was just a handful of swimmers, and they seemed to just dolphin dive the whole time.

anyway, the swim was a good get the blood flowing, without much pushing. that's one thing I like about Paul's Monday sets

some people from my office were doing a Christmas cookie exchange after work. only it wasn't at my office, but at another about an hour across town. and you were supposed to bring 5 dozen cookies. I actually considered going, made some peanut butter cookies (with a Hershey's kiss) yesterday, but just made about 20, and that seemed overkill. so I just said screw it, and decided I'd just go to the gym after work

went up to the 24 Hour Fitness @ Mesa-Riverview:

Tmill: 23 min, 303 cal, 2.65 miles, avg 6.9 mph
    2 min warmup
    Start at 6.8 mph, increase to 8.1
    1 min warmdown

Right into plank, push-ups, stretching

Pull-ups: 3 x 8 w/5 sec horiz legs

Standing univ machine biceps curls: 1 x 15 x 80, 1 x 12 x 110, 2 x 10 x 120, 1 x 8 x 130

Univ machine front lat pulldowns: 1 x 15 x 90, 1 x 12 x 120, 2 x 10 x 135

Univ machine seated row: 1 x 15 x 90, 2 x 12 x 120, 2 x 9 x 135

Standing single arm dumbbell hammer curls: 1 x 15 x 30, 1 x 12 x 35, 1 x 9 x 40

for the first time in ages, I got into, "the zone," while running today. not sure if it was the music, feeling good, or what, but it felt so great after that happened. once I'm in, "the zone," running is so much easier, the time just ticks right by, and I run much faster too. It happened around 17 min in; I was just going to do 20 min, but went a hair longer. I thought of just going for it, but knew I'd regret it if I ran too far.

the gym is starting to see the holiday flux; nearly half the treadmills were open, and the Universal machine was pretty open too (that usually is the busiest area).
    I'd like to get back to a somewhat steady 2-3 times at the gym a week. that may help keep some of the cookies and other treats from sticking to me
  8. Weekend 1214-12162012

by , December 17th, 2012 at 12:21 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    ended up not riding on Friday afternoon; my other half was out of town, I had ordered a bunch of Christmas gifts online and they all came on Thurs-Fri. So it turned into a great opportunity to open and wrap all of these things.

but I did meet my friend at the gym Friday after work:

Tmill: 20 min, 257 cal, 2.25 miles, avg 6.7 mph
    2 min warmup
    Jump to 6.8 mph, increase to 7.6 mph
    1 min warmdown

Various stretches

Bench: 1 x 15 x 45, 2 x 10 x 135, 1 x 5 x 155

Triceps skull crushers: 3 x 10 x 65 + 5 chest presses

Precor pec fly: 1 x 15 x 110, 1 x 12 x 150, 2 x 10 x 170

Leg raise on captain's chair: 3 x 15

it was a pretty quick workout, about 90 min total, if that. although we were both at the gym, we pretty much did different things. yea we ran, then I did my foam roller and stuff while he did weights (he did biceps + back). I never realized how quickly I shower and dress after the gym, at least compared with him.
    we had planned to go to a microbrewery in downtown Chandler after, but it was packed...so we went to Irish Republic instead, and both got a black & tan. he was fairly unsuspecting as to his surprise party.

I went to the party after swinging by home, and it sounds like he was really surprised. of course he said he could never trust me again

we had a rare day of rain about the entire day yesterday here. cold rain, temps in the low 50s...just not typical for the AZ deserts.

this morning I went out for a spin on my bike:
    Home to Ahwatukee 60.17 mi 03:24 17.7mph pace

The air was nice and clean after 2 days of rain here. It was in the 40s when I left home, but the sun was coming up. After I crossed the I-10, I went through a patch of pretty thick fog...don't think I had ever ridden through fog before. Thankfully it cleared by the time I hit Pecos in Ahwatukee. Did a full loop on Desert Foothills, all the way to the end, back for another Desert Foothills Loop, and a stop at the Sheraton Wild Horse Pass before coming home. This was my longest ride in over 3 weeks. Wasn't too bad, but need to work on my eating a little better.
    I normally eat a PB&J before a longer Sunday ride. but this morning, I really didn't feel too hungry, so I just snacked on some Aussie bites. I felt fine...until I got way to the end of Ahwatukee. I always bring a bag with more Aussie bites, but rarely eat them. I ate one then, then the other when I stopped at the Sheraton Wild Horse Pass (I stop at a golf course restroom, and a golfer said to me, "where's your clubs," and I said, "you don't want to see me golf.")

later today, I went over to the nearby 24 Hour Fitness for a mostly recovery swim:

500 w/u

6 x 50 kick, w/board (no fins), done as 2 rounds of:
    * free
    * fly
    * breast

5 x 100 kick w/board + fins--
    * 1 & 3 free
    * 2 & 4 fly
    * #5 was 25 free/25 fly

2 x 50 swim w/fins, done as--
    * 25 easy free
    * 25 fly

100 easy

3 x 200 pull w/paddles + buoy

200 w/d

TTL: 2300 yards

the pool area was actually somewhat busy. there was someone in my fav lane nearly the whole time (through my pull set), and for a while someone in the open area, so I was relegated to the wall lane. at least by the time I did the fly, the woman in the open area left, so I did that over there (didn't want to be too close to the wall).
    I did some stretching in the hot tub after that, then did a quick plunge back in the pool to cool back off.

starting to think of events to do next year. I'll be trying to juggle some cycling, swimming, and probably a triathlon in with personal vacation, and what work travel I know so far.

while at dinner after day 1 of the Boston meet, I committed (in a somewhat drunken state) that I'd do a 400 IM at that meet next year. it doesn't have to be fast--and chances are it won't be--but I do want to make sure it is all legal (and I'd like to avoid butterfrog). if I have to, I'll pause at the walls during the fly leg to take a breath (or several). I already asked Laura to work with me on my fly, and she seemed excited at the challenge.
    the odd thing is, I've run 3 marathons, rode in El Tour (111 miles), yet the 400 IM scares me more than either.
  9. Monday 12102012 workouts

by , December 11th, 2012 at 01:00 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    went up to Mesa-Kino for the AM masters swim workout this morning
    Paul coached

got in 100 w/u

8 x 100 @ :15 rest
    --odds 25 scull/75 swim
    --evens 75 swim/25 kick

16 x 50, done in blocks of 4:
    --50 non free @ 1:00 (alternated breast and back)
    --3 x 50 free @ :50

4 x 200 @ :15 rest
    --odds 25 non free/25 free
    --evens 25 free/25 kick

16 x 25 pull @ :30 w/buoy + paddles
    --odds non free (alternated breast + back)

200 social kick (I wasn't very social, used fins on back alternating flutter and dolphin)

100 w/d

TTL: 3200 yards

I don't know how I even woke up this morning...but somehow when my alarm went off, I sprang out of bed. Holly heard me move, and immediately ran over, so there was no way I could go back to bed, without letting her out first.
    after the meet yesterday I went straight to Logan, flew BOS-PHL, barely had time to grab something to eat for my PHL-PHX flight. somehow I was stuck in a middle seat in coach, although it was an exit row a middle is a middle. I had to fight for my armrests (I thought it was common courtesy that the aisle/window gave you them, but evidently these people didn't get that memo). after I wolfed down my chicken parm sandwich, I mostly passed out while watching something senseless on my computer...then listening to music after my computer battery died.

anyway, I felt surprisingly good in the water today. I led my lane.
    the water felt a bit on the warm side, but since the air was cool (around 40F), it wasn't so bad.

I have absolutely no idea how I did it, but after work I went over to the 24 Hour Fitness @ Mesa Riverview:

Tmill: crappy treadmill
    First: did usual warmup, built and it died at exactly 1/2 mile (about 5 min)
    Next, died at exactly 17 min (2.05 miles ish), along with a few points where it paused, but I caught...

Side plank: 2 rounds of (45 sec right/45 sec left)
    Various stretching

Pull-ups: 3 x 8, plus 5 sec horiz legs after each

Biceps preacher curls: 2 x 12 x 80, 2 x 9 x 90

Hammer strength front lat pulldowns: 1 x 15 x 90, 3 x 10 x 180

Standing single arm dumbbell biceps curls: 1 x 12 x 30's, 2 x 10 x 35's

Life fitness lat raise: 1 x 12 x 50, 2 x 9 x 65

I have no idea what was going on with that treadmill, but it really pissed me off. either a squirlley computer or over sensitive buttons, perhaps both. never had so many issues with one before.

after that, I started to feel some leftover lactic acid while I did planks. felt like my whole body was shaking, especially the last few seconds. oddly, I didn't feel it as bad on the side planks, but could have been since I only hold for 45, then flip to the other side.

was really surprised I cranked out 3 x 8 pullups. heck, I remember when I was in high school we had to do the Presidential Fitness Test at the beginning of every year. freshman year I did 1, sophomore year 2, junior year 4, and senior year 8.
    so to do 8 after not lifting for a month, 3x... well that's pretty good.

I'm certain my arms will scream at me tomorrow/Wednesday. perhaps my back too. but that stuff all felt fine while doing it today.

as for the meet, I think I did pretty decent. unfortunately I didn't record any of my results. I found 3 of them on swimphone, but it looks like the full results are only on Google docs right now. I do have gmail, but it is a funky account through my grad school, and I don't have access to the docs.
    hopefully the full results will be posted on USMS in the next day or 2. evidently someone figured out how to find my 400 free results, how I have no idea, but it looks like I was about 1-1/2 sec faster than last time.
    one thing I that I did differently this year... before I did the 200 free on Saturday, I looked in my swim bag of goodies and saw my NYC Swim cap (orange, that I got at the Statue of Liberty Swim), and decided, "what the heck," put it on before I warmed up for it. it didn't feel too horrible, so I wore it for the race--my first ever. after that, I also wore it for the 400 free, 100 free, and 100 breast on Sunday. I'll have to put in an order the next time my team does one.

the meet was very good. I really like the BU pool, for an indoor pool at least. the water was a bit on the chilly side, but worked for a swim meet. I remember slipping on at least one turn on that bulkhead (and the bulkhead has a cutout you want to use for your hands on breast turns). warmup Saturday was a bit of a mosh pit, but Sunday was surprisingly nice.

of course it was nice to see other forumites and spend time with them
    got to see The Fortress, SwimStud, rxleakem (as well as his wife, son, and aunt), along with many other swimmers. as before, everyone is surprised that I'd go all the way from the Phoenix area to Boston for a swim meet (I did mention how cheap the airfare was, but didn't mention the double miles )

the location of the pool is great too. it is an easy walk to the Green B line of the T, and I stayed at the Hilton Back Bay, just a few stops away at Hynes Center station. it was a pretty easy ride to Logan, Green to Blue (although it was packed, I was just glad I didn't have huge bags).
  10. Tuesday 11202012 workouts

by , November 21st, 2012 at 12:30 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    took Holly (the dog) out for a little run this morning:

Paseo trail/Los Arboles Park 3.39 mi 00:29 08:25 pace

Considering I rode 111+ miles on Saturday, and got beat up in a deep tissue massage yesterday, I felt fantastic this morning! It was nice and cool (low 50s, perfect running weather). Took Holly (the dog) out for a nice little run. My HR monitor fell to my waist, so I just have Garmin data. Was really surprised how strong Holly was; I was going to drop her off at home after ~2 miles, but kept her for the whole run. Saw a few others out running too.
    http://app.strava.com/activities/28615687

this felt surprisingly good, and Holly seemed to really enjoy it too.

after work I went up to Mesa-Kino for the PM masters swim workout.
    We were in the main pool and Zach coached.

400 w/u

8 x 75 @ 1:30:
    odds: 25 kick/25 drill/25 swim
    evens: swim

8 x 50 @ 1:00, descend 1-4/5-8
    100 easy

main set, 3 rounds of:
    200 fast @ 3:00
    150 easy @ 3:00
    100 IM @ 2:00
    50 fast @ 2:00

200 w/d

this was a pretty good workout. I'm still not nearly at the point where I can swim 100%, but felt a bit better than yesterday.

my 200 times were about 2:32 to 2:35, when a fast 200 for me is usually low 2:20s.
    fast 50s were about 32-34, when I can usually go around 30.

my left knee bothered me initially when I tried breaststroke, but it seemed to get better. I certainly wasn't my fastest, but I was able to push a little. and my backstroke didn't feel too horrible either.

I read how one of AZ's member-elect of the US House, [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyrsten_Sinema"]Kyrsten Sinema[/ame] yesterday registered for the 2013 AZ Ironman. I think she'd probably be the first sitting member of the US House to do an Ironman. She's done the Phoenix-PF Chang's marathon several times and runs quite a bit.
    That said, I have a feeling she'll have her job cut out for her...being in the US House will be a bit more time and energy than the AZ House or Senate.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Running
  11. Wednesday 11072012 workouts

by , November 7th, 2012 at 11:46 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    went up to Mesa's Carson-Westwood pool for the AM masters swim workout
    Paul coached solo

got in 200 w/u

set 1:
    10 x 100 @ 1:40, hold steady (held around 1:15ish)

set 2:
    5 x 100 @ 1:20, right into
    5 x 100 @ 1:40

set 3: 10 x 100, choice of--
    A: odds @ 1:40, evens @ 1:20
    B: odds @ 1:45, evens @ 1:15
    --we went with option A

set 4:
    xxx x 100 @ 1:20, go as long as you can, or until Paul cut you off (we got in 6)
    last one Paul talked me into FAST, came in @ 1:11

200 w/d

TTL: 4000 yards

we had a nice group this morning, I think 3 in every lane.
    there were 3 lanes that did the set above, I was in the middle one and went 2nd, behind a guy wearing fins. I may have gotten a hint of draft for the first 25, but it really wasn't much.

it was nice being in the middle lane with everyone doing the same thing. I was able to pace off of people all around me...although they weren't all the best pacers.

for the last set, Paul moved the lane leader (fin wearer) from my lane over with a gal in the next lane, who was also wearing fins, and they did those 100s @ 1:15. so I was left leading my lane...
    I did the first in about 1:12, briefly considered going @ 1:15, then quickly realized that wouldn't be good. maybe I could have managed, but it was nice getting the extra rest, and I think I did 2-5 @ 1:16. then the last I pushed with what I had left.

overall, a really nice set.

my training class ended early, so I decided to head to the gym on my way home:
    Tmill: 28 min, 382 cal, 3.33 miles, avg 7.1 mph
    2 min warmup
    Jump to 7.0 mph, increase .1 every 3 min to 20 min
    Gradually increase to 8.1 mph
    1 min warmdown

Side plank: 3 min

Pull-ups: 3 x 8 + 30 sec horiz legs

Standing univ machine biceps curls: 1 x 15 x 80, 1 x 12 x 110, 2 x 10 x 120, 1 x 8 x 130

Seated univ machine lat pulldowns: 1 x 15 x 90, 2 x 12 x 120, 1 x 9 x 135

Univ machine seated row: 1 x 15 x 90, 2 x 12 x 135, 1 x 9 x 150

Life fitness single arm biceps curl: 2 x 12 x 50, 2 x 9 x 65

I was starting to get sore in the afternoon. 2 weeks of no lifting then going back will do it. but I figured I could focus on different muscle groups... and it mostly worked.

oddly, my legs weren't really sore at all after running yesterday. hopefully they won't be tomorrow...

everything else felt ok too. I mostly hung out on the universal machine since it wasn't too busy. once I'm there it seems easier just to do everything I can there.

one more day of driving to downtown Phoenix tomorrow...
  12. Tuesday 11062012 workouts

by , November 7th, 2012 at 12:18 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    went up to Mesa's Carson-Westwood pool for the AM masters swim workout
    Paul coached solo

got in 400 w/u

16 x 25 @ :30, done in sets of 4:
    1/2 easy, 1/2 fast
    1/2 fast, 1/2 easy
    all easy
    all fast
    did them in reverse IM order, w/fly drill...except I did a 25 fly for the fast one

50 easy

200, done 25 fast/175 active recovery, hold under 15 strokes per length

200, done 50 fast/150 active recovery, under 15 per length + some breath control

200, done 75 fast/125 active recovery

200...had a choice of 100/100 or 200 fast. don't know why, but I chose the 200 fast (2:28)

50 easy

400 pull, w/buoy + paddles, breathing pattern

200 w/d

TTL: 2300 yards

not that much distance, but there was some quality.

for the 200s, there were options to go off the blocks. actually, Paul wanted us to go off for the 25 and 50, but I didn't. when he got to the 75, he said we could do in-water stars. so of course I had to say, "I was saving up to go off the block for this..."
    the blocks at this pool are quite funky, and with el Tour next week I'm not taking any chances. but I can still play around

we had a decent crowd. I can't remember the last time I've gone on a Tues morning. kind of nice to mix things up once in a while, I get so structured with my workouts.

one nice thing about swimming at the pool is that it was super easy to hop on the freeway and get to downtown PHX for my work training. yea there was some traffic, but not too horrible at 7:10am and I got there way early. still makes me appreciate my normal 5 min commute from Kino to my office.

training ended early, so I went to the gym. figured it was either that or go home and waste time online looking at election results.
    Tmill: 21 min, 285 cal, 2.49 miles, avg 7.1 mph
    About a min warmup (started on another machine, it stopped)
    Jumped to 7.0 mph, built to 7.8
    A min warmdown
    Splits: 8:45, 16:55

Side plank: 3:00, done as 2 x (45 sec right/45 sec left)
    Various stretches

Ladder drills: 3 rounds

Incline bench: 2 x 12 x 95, 2 x 8 x 145

Univ machine triceps ez bar pulldowns: 1 x 15 x 50, 1 x 12 x 60, 2 x 10 x 70

Star trak chest fly: 1 x 15 x 120, 1 x 12 x 150, 2 x 10 x 165, 2 x 8 x 180

Standing single arm triceps curls: 2 x 12 x 27.5's, 2 x 10 x 30's

so while on the treadmill I had clear views of tv's showing both MSNBC and Fox News, they were right next to each other. interesting how both networks interpret things so differently.
    then there was a TV over near the weights tuned to CNN. at 5:30, then 6pm, etc a small crowd formed near it to see the latest results.

anyway, my treadmill run felt ok. I had an unusual pain in my left foot around 1-1/2 mile in, but I just ran through it and it went away after a min or so. had a similar pain while biking on Sunday, but again rode through it, and it went away. hope it isn't a sign of things to come...

I hadn't lifted for 2 weeks and a day, and I was going to do my biceps/back set, but all that stuff looked taken when I wanted to start, I saw a free incline bench, so just grabbed it. it actually didn't feel bad...but I know it'll hit me late tomorrow/Thurs morning.

oh, and yes I did vote. I did it by mail, sent it in weeks ago. signed up for that several years ago. the ballot automagically comes, with a postage-paid envelope. just have to make my lines across, put in envelope, drop in mailbox. super easy

Updated November 7th, 2012 at 12:24 AM by aztimm

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Running
  13. Monday 10292012 workouts

by , October 29th, 2012 at 11:57 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    Paul coached solo

got in 100 w/u

16 x 50-- reverse IMO, done in blocks of 4
    --drill @ 1:00
    --swim @ :50
    --kick @ 1:00
    --swim@ :50

2 rounds of--
    4 x 25 build @ :30
    200 long + smooth @ 3:00
    100 fast kick

4 x 100 @ 1:25
    200 long + smooth @ 3:00
    4 x 25 power kick @ :30

50 easy (while I waited for others to catch up)

800 pull, long + smooth, breathe every 5, rest :15 at the 400

100 w/d

TTL: 3350 yards

this was one of those mornings when I had a tough time getting going. my alarm woke me up, I got up to let Holly (the dog) outside, then went back to bed, thinking I'd just sleep another 2 hours. but of course I couldn't get back to sleep...tried for about 15 min, then gave up, got up, and still made it to swim, and not much later than normal.

after the set of 2x above, Paul asked me, "are you warmed up yet?" I said, "of course, I'm ready to warm down now."
    really didn't want to be there, but given the workout, I'm glad I went, stuck it out, and it helped me feel better.

ended up working a little late, and didn't feel like going to the gym. so I headed home...but still did something short:

short canal run w/Holly 2.05 mi 00:17 08:15 pace

Skipped the gym, but got home and decided to take Holly (the dog) out for a little run. it was really nice, around 75F and very bright from the light of the full moon
    http://app.strava.com/activities/26454224
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Running
  14. Wednesday 10242012 workouts

by , October 25th, 2012 at 01:32 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    Paul coached solo

got in 200 w/u

main set: 5 x 800's
    1-3-5: descend
    1: swim, 11:20
    3: pull w/paddles + buoy, 10:20
    5: fins + paddles, 9:45
    2 + 4, supposed to be IM, I did--
    2: 25 breast/75 free (x 8)
    4: 25 breast/75 free/25 back/75 free (x 4)

200 w/d

TTL: 4400 yards

I should have known something was up when I saw Lindsey over a bunch of lanes. somehow I ended up in the lane next to Shauna.

when Paul first told us the set, I seriously considered moving. but I figured I'd give it a shot, and it wasn't quite as bad as I expected.

these were supposed to be on no more than a minute rest. I did the first on 12 min, a little more on 2 + 4, and less on 3 + 5.

toward the end of my #3, when I was pulling, Shauna (in the next lane) started her #4. I thought maybe I could keep up with her doing fly (she did the set as it was supposed to be). I actually did keep up, and it was even tougher to keep up with a 50 of her back. when I finished I needed a full minute before I started my next.

I was very surprised with my times on #3 and 5. yea I was using equipment, but still, those are some fast times.

after work I actually made it over to the 24 Hour Fitness @ Mesa-Riverview:

Tmill: 23 min, 308 cal, 2.7 miles, avg 7 mph
    2 min warmup
    Jump to 7.0 mph, increase to 8.0
    1 min warmdown

Side plank: 3:00, done as 2 x (45 sec right/45 sec left)

Decline bench: 1 x 15 x 95, 2 x 12 x 115, 2 x 8 x 135

Triceps skull crushers: 1 x 12 x 60 + 6, 2 x 10 x 65 + 5

Decline dumbbell chest fly: 1 x 15 x 45's, 1 x 12 x 52.5's, 1 x 10 x 60's

I felt fine running, up until the last minute or so. I was going to stop at 20 min, but then a song came on and I thought I'd continue a bit.
    anyway, something in my left foot felt a bit off, I think my ankle.

otherwise I felt a little better than I expected. the last time I benched, 135 was a struggle, but it felt fine today. maybe doing the warm-up (build) sets is better.

by the time I got to the leg raises I was pretty spent. that last set was pretty tough.
  15. Monday 10152012 workouts

by , October 16th, 2012 at 01:26 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    Laura coached solo

got in 200 w/u

400, breathe every 3 + 1st 25 of every 100 catch-up drill

6 x 75 @ :15 rest--all w/board:
    * 25 sit on board and scull
    * 25 rudder drill
    * 25 kick

did 100 easy while waiting for everyone to catch up

6 x 100 pull @ 1:50 w/buoy + paddles:
    * odds: normal pull
    * evens: buoy at ankles

12 x 25 @ :30
    2 easy/1 overkick

400, breathe every 3, long + smooth
    300, breathe every 5
    200, breathe every 7
    100, breathe every 9 + fast

200 w/d

I was still a bit sore so I went to the slower side of the pool, split a lane with a guy who is a good breaststroker. but it didn't really matter, as everyone did the same thing.

no, I didn't make all of those breath control things. I did try and did some, but breathing every 9 is about 1 per 25, which just won't happen for me.

we had a decent sized group, but it was a bit windy and when we weren't moving it felt a little chilly.

had some meeting in downtown Phoenix this morning. just driving there in rush hour every once in a while makes me appreciate my ~10 min commute to work. well from Kino to my office only takes 5 minutes
    I just don't know how people could drive that much every day. not only the traffic (which is bad enough), but simply the distance.

anyway, I actually felt decent after work, and left work at a decent time
    so went over to the 24 Hour Fitness @ Mesa Riverview:

Tmill: 21 min, 275 cal, 2.4 miles, avg 6.8 mph
    2 min warmup
    Jump to 6.9 mph, increase to 7.6 mph
    1 min warmdown
    Splits: 9:12, 17:25

Leg rolling: 5:00
    Side plank: 3:00, done as 2 x (45 sec right/45 sec left), then various stretching and push-ups

Pull-ups: 3 x 8

Biceps preacher curls: 2 x 12 x 75, 2 x 10 x 85, 2 x 8 x 95

Hammer strength front lat pulldowns: 1 x 15 x 90, 2 x 12 x 140, 2 x 8 x 190

Life fitness lat raise: 2 x 12 x 50, 2 x 8 x 65

I really wasn't planning to run at all, just thought I'd hop on the treadmill, see how I felt, maybe walk for 5 minutes. but my legs felt pretty decent, so I went for it. but I really didn't want to push things, so figured 20 min would be a good limit.

gym really started to get busy... when I was in the stretching area, it was packed. then by the time I finished weights, that area was also getting packed. gave me an excuse to finish up, shower, and head home.

everything felt pretty good...pullups felt really smooth. preacher curls always feel good while I'm doing them. but I know I'll be feeling all of this on Wed morning.
  16. Wednesday 10032012, timed mile swim

by , October 4th, 2012 at 01:36 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    Paul coached (I think it was just him, I don't recall seeing Laura there)

got in 400 w/u choice

8 x 50 @ :50
    100 easy kick
    6 x 50 @ :45
    100 easy kick
    4 x 50 @ :40
    50 easy kick

1650 for time (22:02)

100 very easy, mostly floating on my back

300 social kick

200 w/d

TTL: 3800 yards

for some reason, most swimmers were all toward one side of the pool, and Paul was trying to get more people over near the diving well. Lindsey was all alone in a lane, so I just dove in and split the lane with her.

I rather liked the mix of 50s transition set. Paul did tell us what was to come, and told me to hold upper 30s on the 50s and hold the same for the 1650. I did get a little faster from the :50 interval to the :40 interval, but certainly not 10 sec.
    after those 50s @ :40 I commented to Paul, "I'm certainly warmed up now."

I've now figured out why I never swim distance events short course. at around the 700 mark (as I was getting lapped for the 2nd time by Shauna and Zach in the next lane) I realized that I wasn't even halfway done. all those turns almost made me dizzy. To me at least, it seems a bit more palatable swimming a 1500 long course, not as many turns, I can get into a rhythm swimming 50m before a turn. and my turns aren't that good, so I don't have to do as many long course--or open water.

my biceps were still pretty sore for this swim, and the cool water didn't do much to help. usually biceps don't bother me that much for swimming, but maybe it was the combo of biceps plus back/shoulders.
    this is the downside of not lifting for a few weeks, when I do get back it really hits me.

I actually did chat a little during the social kick.

have you ever met someone and been undressed by them with their eyes? I had that today. well it was someone I had met before, but the way she sized me up/down, well it was almost a bit daunting.

went to Toastmasters late today, and actually did my 3rd speech. it was a good meeting.
    usually after that I just go to the Chandler gym, since it is so close. but after my experience there last Friday, I decided on something else.

went to the 24 Hour Fitness in Tempe

Tmill: 22 min, 292 cal, 2.55 miles, avg 6.9 mph
    2 min warmup
    Jump to 7.0 mph, increase to 7.7 mph
    1 min warmdown

Side plank: 3 min, done as 2 x (45 sec right/45 sec left)

Decline bench: 3 x 9 x 135, 1 x 5 x 145

Triceps rope pulldowns: 1 x 15 x 50, 1 x 12 x 60, 2 x 9 x 70

Dumbbell chest fly: 1 x 12 x 45's, 1 x 10 x 55's, 2 x 8 x 60's

Swim: 300m, mostly easy

I say this every time I go to this gym, but I really don't know why I don't go more often. it isn't that crowded, they keep it at a nice, cool temp, the weights were all racked and organized, and it really isn't a horrible location for me. yea, not the 2-3 miles from home of the Chandler location, but not bad.

that said, I really could not get into my treadmill run. maybe it was because I was watching the Presidential debate... I didn't listen to it though, kept my normal music playlist and kind of read the subtitles. the best part was when they did a split screen, watching the non-speaker's facial expressions.

trying not to push weights too much too soon, but I'm sure I'll still feel the soreness when I swim Friday morning.

usually the water in the pool here is nice and cool, but at least compared with what Kino has been like, it felt a bit warm.
    at the 250 mark, I noticed a guy in the next lane racing me. I usually don't bother when this happens, but I don't know what came over me and I pushed it...all the way to the wall. I flipped, and of course that other guy stopped.
  17. Monday 10012012 workouts

by , October 2nd, 2012 at 01:17 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    Paul coached solo

prior to getting in, Paul warned me that the water was chilly. he said 76, but oddly, I felt fine.

got in 400 w/u choice

2 x (100 swim
    50 kick
    100 drill
    50 kick)

2 x (75 IM
    25 power kick
    75 IM drill
    25 power kick)

20 x 50 @ :45

2 x (75 swim
    50 kick
    75 drill
    50 kick)

2 x (50 stroke
    25 power kick
    50 stroke drill
    25 power kick)

600 pull, breathe every 3

200 w/d

TTL: 4000 yards

the water actually felt really good on my sore legs, and sore chest muscles. maybe that's why it didn't feel so cold, with sore muscles I prefer it be a little cooler. Paul did say that they'd probably start to heat next week. I said that if they just cover it overnight it would probably be fine.

the sets that don't have intervals listed (most of the workout) were supposed to be on 15 sec rest. 'supposed to be' is key; mostly it seemed like 3-5 sec for me.

I went 2nd, in my lane of 3 for most of the set. everyone complained about that 20 x 50 set in the middle, how boring it was, etc. but I actually liked it. since we did them on 45, started on the top, it was easy to keep track of where we were. and I kind of worked every 4th (just a hair).

toward the end I led the lane for some reason, big mistake. I came in after swimming a 50 and was yelled at, "go go go," to which I just replied, "I thought these were on 15 rest? you can go ahead if you like." he said no, but then shortly after that I felt a hand brushing my feet. I pulled off, where my lanemate said, "you were halfway down the pool when I started." I just said, "maybe you should go ahead then."

normally I'm a bit faster pulling, so I led the lane for that. then the same lanemate decided to draft off of me. the set was only supposed to be 500, but I wanted to see if he was counting, and he kept going with me, so evidently not. I pushed a 25 around the 200 mark (I didn't breathe every 3 for that one), to see if he'd keep up, and he did. so after that I just figured f it, and kept my own pace, breathing every 3.

later today, I actually went over to the gym
    went to the 24 Hour Fitness @ Mesa-Riverview for the following:

Tmill: 25 min, 344 cal, 3 miles, avg 7.2 mph
    2 min warmup
    Jump to 7.0 mph, increase to 8.2
    1 min cool down

Side plank: 3 min done as 2 x (45 sec left/45 sec right)
    Various stretching

Pull-ups: 8/9/10 w 5 sec horiz legs after each round

Biceps preacher curls: 2 x 12 x 85, 2 x 10 x 95

Hammer strength front lat pulldowns: 1 x 15 x 90, 3 x 9 x 180

I was pleasantly surprised that they gym wasn't too crowded. the parking lot seemed pretty open, I had my choice of treadmills, and generally could lift what I want when I wanted.

that said, I really wasn't feeling the run for the first ~7 min. then suddenly the A-Teens version of, "Waterloo," came up on my iPhone, and it jolted me. later on, "Enter Sandman," came on...whenever I hear that song it sends shivers down my spine, but gets me going. I was going to stop, but then the song, "Car Wash," (by Rose Royce) came on, so I finished with that (that's one of the first songs I remember as a kid, well that and, "Convoy")

not sure why I felt so good doing pull-ups, but they just felt so good, and smooth.
    otherwise, I didn't want to push things too much, so just did a little weights. I'll probably still be sore for swimming on Wed, but hopefully not too bad.
  18. Friday 09282012: AM Swim & PM Gym

by , September 28th, 2012 at 07:32 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    Paul & Laura coached; I was with Paul's group

got in 400 w/u

Main 1 (no extra rest):
    8 x 50 @ :45, #1 & 5 fast, others cruise
    7 x 100 @ 1:30, odds supposed to be IM fast (I did free fastish), evens cruise
    6 x 200 @ 3:00, best avg

4 x 50 @ 1:00, active recovery (did a mix of strokes)

Main 2 (w/fins + paddles), no extra rest:
    8 x 25 @ :20, #1 & 5 fast, others cruise
    7 x 50 @ :40, odds fast, evens cruise
    6 x 100 @ 1:20, best avg (held around 1:06)

200 w/d

TTL: 4250 yards

water felt chilly when we were stopped, but thankfully that wasn't very long

we had a lighter group than normal. I hopped in and split a lane with a guy who wore paddles for the whole first set then got out. he said he had already done 3000 yards and was done. it was nice having the lane to myself while I wore fins + paddles, so I swam down the middle and tried to go fast.

after very spotty swimming over the past 2-3 weeks, it will take me another 1-2 weeks to get back into it. so long as nothing else comes up to keep me out of the pool

I'm hoping to hit the gym later and I'll update this entry after that. I haven't been to the gym for about 3 weeks

Tmill: 22 min, 293 cal, 2.57 miles, avg 7 mph
    2 min warmup
    Jump to 6.9 mph and increase to 7.8
    1 min warmdown

Side plank: 3 min done as 2 x (45 sec right/45 sec left)
    Various stretching

Bench: 3 x 10 x 135

Triceps skull crushers: 4 x 10 x 65 + 5

Free motion dual cable cross chest press: 1 x 15 x 70, 1 x 12 x 80, 1 x 10 x 90, 2 x 8 x 95

Swim: 400 easy

it was very warm in the gym. between that and not going since 9/10 (according to my iPhone notes), I felt really weak.

the run didn't feel horrible, but certainly not great either. my music helped also. speaking of music, I finally found my other good ear buds. they were hiding in my jacket pocket. I was walking to a restaurant in San Francisco on Sunday, put my hands in the pockets, and found them

felt a little weak lifting, but I guess that's to be expected after a few weeks off. I just hope I'm not too sore tomorrow and Sunday.

Updated September 29th, 2012 at 01:31 AM by aztimm

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Running
  19. Monday 09102012 workouts

by , September 11th, 2012 at 01:23 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    Paul coached solo

got in 200 w/u

4 x 300 @ 4:30, long + aerobic

4 x 25 @ :40, FAST IM Order

3 x 300 @ 4:30, pull (very generous rest)

4 x 25 @ :40, FAST IM Order

2 x 300 @ 6:00, kick (used fins + board)

4 x 25 @ :40, FAST IM Order (kept my fins on for fly + back)

1 x 300 @ 5:00 IM

4 x 25 @ :40, no breath

200 w/d

TTL: 3800 yards

we had a decent crowd today. I was in a lane with 2 other guys; one morning regular and one evening regular (who left early). I led the lane for the whole set.

I did fly drill for all of the IM's, other than the part where I kept on my fins.

after work, I went over to the 24 Hour Fitness @ Mesa-Riverview:

Tmill: 27 min, 377 cal, 3.31 miles, avg 7.3 mph
    2 min warmup
    Jump to 7.2 mph, increase to 8.3
    1 min warmdown

Side plank: 3 min, done as 2 x (45 sec right/45 sec left)
    Various plank, stretch, pushups

Pullups: 3 x 9 + 5 sec horiz legs

Biceps preacher curls: 2 x 12 x 85, 2 x 9 x 95

Star trak rear delt: 1 x 15 x 60, 1 x 12 x 90, 2 x 9 x 105, 1 x 8 x 120

Life fitness lat raise: 2 x 12 x 50, 2 x 9 x 65

funny that I felt like I was getting a cold and I considered bailing on the gym all together. but I thought I'd at least try to run and see how I felt.
    the treadmills were pretty crowded, but I found a vacant one. figured I'd just do 2 miles, but started to feel it, so kept on going.
    the only negative was a guy in front and to the side who smelled horrible. when people walked by some of the smell wafted back to me. for a while I thought it was me, and I was smelling my shirt, but then I figured it out.
    anyway, the run really cleared up my head.

the rest of my workout felt pretty good too. although the gym was busy, I managed to get in mostly what I wanted.
  20. Friday 09072012 workouts

by , September 8th, 2012 at 01:57 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    went up to Mesa-Kino, intending to do the AM masters swim workout....
    but got distracted and ended up doing the H2O polo workout instead
    we were in the diving well
    Paul coached/reffed

I walked out on deck right around the same time as a gal I hadn't seen for a while. I saw them bringing the goals out, then looked down the other way at what seemed like a boring swim workout.
    so we went over to the diving well...

got in 200 w/u

then went over to the side, took off my goggles, put on a cap...

we started with various drills--
    * passing drills
    * dribbling
    * something like layup drills

then we divided into teams. started with guys -v- gals, we had 6 of each. the group opted for 1 goalie, 4 other players, and 1 sub.
    somehow I actually scored a point. I was more surprised than anyone. yes, I did throw the ball into the goal, but it should have gotten blocked. only instead it rolled over 2 or 3 people's fingers, and rolled right into the goal
    guys won, I think 3 or 4 to 0

then we switched into mixed teams.

Paul tried to rotate us through the different positions. toward the end he put me as a goalie, something I don't think I've ever done before. my goal was simply not to suck too much. evidently I was half decent. again, I have absolutely no idea how, it was as if something came over me, but I blocked nearly every pass that came near the goal.

after I got out, I was just going to grab my goggles and do some easy swimming. but I noticed Laura had her group doing some fast swims. suddenly I was roped into--

FAST 100 free, off the block (1:04.2)

then did 200 easy w/d

I played water polo in college. when I was there Kutztown only had 1 pool that served the campus as well as the community. water polo was at the very bottom of the totem pole for workouts...our workouts were 9-11pm, Sun-Thurs. from what I remember, the first 45 min was like a swim workout, then the balls would show up, we'd do dribbling and passing drills, then a scrimmage. the last 15 min of every workout were always in the diving well...with bricks.

I need another sport right now like I need a hole in the head. I barely manage dealing with swimming, cycling, running, and lifting. but this sure was fun--although very draining. I certainly wouldn't do it every day, but who knows, maybe every week or 2.

oh I will say this. I expected some of the guys to be a bit rough, and they weren't nearly as bad as I thought they'd be. but some of the gals...well let's just say they can play a bit dirty.

as for that 100 free, that's a great time for me. actually doing it didn't feel so great though... it felt like a good 50, then that second 50 felt like my legs had absolutely no energy. oh well, tomorrow is my off day.

then after I got out of the pool, Laura told me, "I heard a rumor. you make a good water polo goalie."

it was cloudy during workout. I didn't notice while playing polo, but when I put my (mirrored) goggles back on I was like, "it suddenly got dark out"
    then after I got to work, since it was cloudy I opened my blinds (my windows look east, and normally the sun is blinding until ~11am). then I saw lightning out to the east. before I knew it we were in the middle of a major downpour. some parts of the area got 2-3" of rain. but it was cleared up by noon or so.

after work today, I went over to the 24 Hour Fitness @ Mesa-Riverview:

Tmill: 26 min, 357 cal, 3.13 miles, avg 7.2 mph
    2 min warmup
    Jump to 7.1 mph, increase to 8.4 mph
    1 min cool down
    Splits: 9, 17:02, 24:45

Side planks: 3 min done as 2 x (45 sec right/45 sec left)
    Various planks and stretches

Step ups, forward: 3 x 10, each leg
    Box jumps: 3 x 5

Incline bench: 2 x 12 x 115, 2 x 8 x 135

Univ machine triceps pulldowns: 1 x 15 x 50, 1 x 12 x 60, 2 x 10 x 70

Dumbbell chest fly: 1 x 15 x 45's, 2 x 12 x 55's, 1 x 9 x 60's

Swim: 400m easy

so my legs certainly didn't improve 100% throughout the day. I really didn't want to run at all. but I figured I'd just do an easy 2 miles. well once I'm dressed, on the tmill, and going...that turned into 3. and again I have no clue how I finished at an 8.4 mph pace, that's way faster than I'm used to.

I don't know why, but I figured I'd do those step ups, then since I had the stool out anyway, I just did a few box jumps.

the other stuff was ok, nothing overly notable.
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast