Blog Comments

Congratulations on making it to 500. You beat me by a week or so. Im at 486.5!
    Quote Originally Posted by JPEnge
    I'm planning on being in Mesa for Nationals - you should swim some events, it'll be fun!
    I'll make you a deal, you swim the R of SCAR with me, just a 10k, and I'll swim the 500 free. Sounds fair to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    Wow, two 100k months.
    I bet you are in seriously good shape these days.
    Here's to your continued success next year!
    I've been doing more distance and haven't really pushed too much speed lately... But I can knock out a 5k without too much trouble. Not sure if that's a good thing though.

I'm thinking of just doing the 5k near Hazleton, PA next summer. You should come up and swim it too. Tom did it a few times and liked it.
    I'm planning on being in Mesa for Nationals - you should swim some events, it'll be fun!
    Wow, two 100k months.
    I bet you are in seriously good shape these days.
    Here's to your continued success next year!
    Quote Originally Posted by srcoyote
    Great swim, and great blog!

I have mixed feelings about this year's stagger start. Last year the waves were randomly mixed, but they were small enough I didn't have any traffic issues and was around the turn before the 5K started. This year, the time trial start was fine, but bumping up the 5K start meant I had a lot of traffic to weave through on the way back.

I wear a Garmin Forerunner 15 (really a runner's watch) in the back of my cap, and it clocked my swim at about 9.5K. Last year it had me at 9.9K. Either that's an equipment error or I swam much better lines. I tend to believe it was the former.

And you weren't the only one who went off course in Patterson Lake. I had kayakers flagging me down for going the wrong way, and I had a couple of swimmers following me. It's confusing once you get out of that channel on exactly how far right you have to go, and we usually hit that right as the sun becomes a huge factor. And then I can never really see that first green buoy as I'm coming out of the turnaround because of the sun.

Great swim! This one's addictive.

David
    I didn't mind the start either. It was almost too tranquil though; sometimes a little roughness gets the adreneline going, and I really didn't have that for nearly the whole first half of the swim.

I couldn't imagine coming through that last channel while the fast people were going up against me, and thankfully I didn't need to. But if you were swimming the 10k and positioned even 5 minutes behind where I was, well you'd have to do that.
    My back half was a little slower. Some of that could have been getting mixed in with those slower 5k swimmers, especially in the channels. But some could have just been fatigue. Oddly I didn't really notice fatigue until I started to see that stupid Unicorn float (fatigue and hunger both).

They really needed support at the end of the channel into Patterson Lake directing swimmers. Like you said, with the sun, just getting out of the channel, and I'm sure fatigure, I ended up doing so much breaststroke to help sight (my watch said .2 miles total).
    I'm sure glad they didn't put a rope down the middle of that one channel though (at the clinic they said they were looking into it).

And yea, I probably will do this one again. As someone coming from outside the area, it is such a beautiful area. Everything was green, temperatures were great, and there's lakes everywhere.
    I stayed in Brighton, which is a nice little town. Visited a few restaurants/bars there, and also in Howell. Oh, and of course I had to stop in Hell
    Congratulations! You are a certified stud! Some really solid training payed off big time.
    Thanks Karl! I approached the training the same way I built up for a running marathon. So 2 weeks out was my peak, goal 80-90% of the actual distance.

As much as I hate tapering, I think that helped more than anything. On a Facebook group I saw a guy posting 4k+ workouts that week before and I started to question my taper. But he finished 10-15 min behind me
    Quote Originally Posted by flystorms
    Dang Tim! Nice work, you bad ass! Congratulations on the great time and for staying strong to the end.

That sounds like an interesting race with all the channels. I can see where you'd have to find a way to time it to stay out of the oncoming traffic's created currents. How cold was the water?

- Kari
    I still don't believe that time. I keep waiting for them to sent out an email to tell me something was wrong...

And yea I don't think I've ever swum through channels before. On a normal day I probably wouldn't do it anyway. There is a bit of mud, and who knows what else. But during the event, I hardly even thought about that stuff.

I'm guessing the water temp was 77-78. After training at Barton Springs it felt a bit warm, especially the day before in the afternoon. During the actual swim it felt ok; maybe toward the end I wished it had been cooler. But at that point I was wishing to eat! You really get hungry on a swim of this length.
    Great swim, and great blog!

I have mixed feelings about this year's stagger start. Last year the waves were randomly mixed, but they were small enough I didn't have any traffic issues and was around the turn before the 5K started. This year, the time trial start was fine, but bumping up the 5K start meant I had a lot of traffic to weave through on the way back.

I wear a Garmin Forerunner 15 (really a runner's watch) in the back of my cap, and it clocked my swim at about 9.5K. Last year it had me at 9.9K. Either that's an equipment error or I swam much better lines. I tend to believe it was the former.

And you weren't the only one who went off course in Patterson Lake. I had kayakers flagging me down for going the wrong way, and I had a couple of swimmers following me. It's confusing once you get out of that channel on exactly how far right you have to go, and we usually hit that right as the sun becomes a huge factor. And then I can never really see that first green buoy as I'm coming out of the turnaround because of the sun.

Great swim! This one's addictive.

David
    Congratulations! You are a certified stud! Some really solid training payed off big time.
    Dang Tim! Nice work, you bad ass! Congratulations on the great time and for staying strong to the end.

That sounds like an interesting race with all the channels. I can see where you'd have to find a way to time it to stay out of the oncoming traffic's created currents. How cold was the water?

- Kari
    Looks like a fun spot. I haven't gotten an OW swim in yet this year and need to get psyched up for some August swims.
    Quote Originally Posted by ourswimmer
    I lived within walking distance of Barton Springs for a while and loved swimming there in the early morning. Later in the day you can't see the fish because (I assume) they are all hiding from the commotion, but early in the morning you can watch them swim in and out among the plants at the bottom.
    Barton Springs really is a great place to swim!!!! I highly recommend it for anyone who is anywhere near Austin. The earlier the better, as it can get quite busy. Admission is free until 8am, so it started to get busy during that last half hour, from 7:30.

I didn't see too many fish this time. It was dark when I first got there, but after the sun rose it was amazing how clear the water was. Even after I got out of the water, I could see to the bottom in many places. I have yet to see the Barton Springs Salamander, but perhaps one day.

I'll probably go back another time or 2 before my o/w swim. Probably hit Deep Eddy at least once more too. And probably one or more of the local lakes, but the water temperature at them is pretty warm.
    I lived within walking distance of Barton Springs for a while and loved swimming there in the early morning. Later in the day you can't see the fish because (I assume) they are all hiding from the commotion, but early in the morning you can watch them swim in and out among the plants at the bottom.
    Thanks steve. Happy to hijack Tim's blog
    I should have taken the first 50 out stronger but was tired and help back too much. Really happy with the swim and entire meet.
    sorry Tim,
    I replied to Mikes race on your thread
    Nice racing!

Very interesting 100 free. Must have really reserved the first 50 to manage the 2nd one faster, in low 32
    Quote Originally Posted by flystorms
    Envious. I never made it while living in TX.
    Yea it is a great place to swim. Took me a year and a half before I made it there. Some people love Barton Springs, but I think I prefer Deep Eddy (although I'd need more time at both to come to a definite conclusion )

I remember Ande posting how he'd swim at Deep Eddy. Almost thought I'd see him this morning, but I'm not sure I'd recognize him, and he probably wouldn't me either.
    Envious. I never made it while living in TX.
    That's some serious business! Are you plotting something big, or just enjoying a random longer practice?
    I was wanting to drop a few pounds, so in April I started to increase my swim workouts. Oddly, I wasn't really losing any weight, but my swimsuits, shorts, and pants had all gotten much looser. I normally wear a 32 suit, but those were getting loose so I found some old 30s and those now fit better. Same for my jeans; well those fall down unless I wear a belt!

Of course after a few days of travel I lost about 5-6 pounds. That always seems to happen, not exactly sure why. Hope I can keep it off now.

I am hoping to do some o/w swims this summer. There's one near Hazleton, PA that I might do (my Mom lives just a few miles away). I'll probably do a few legs of the Highland Lakes Challenge too.
    One of the age group coaches is trying to organize something in Lake Georgetown, which I'd definitely do (so long as I'm in town).