View RSS Feed

Running

Primarily a running workout

1. On the road again...Mon PM gym

by , May 12th, 2009 at 02:46 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    Made it to the gym here in Kingman, AZ this evening. It is pretty convenient to my hotel, just across the street. Del Webb Regional Medical Center: Health & Wellness Center (yes, it is part of the hospital complex)

Start out with a treadmill run, Nike+ details:
    distance: 2.07 miles
    time: 15 min 42 sec
    avg pace: 7:32/mile
    calories: 258
    After an easy pace/long run yesterday, I wanted to do more of a short-SPRINT today. Took a while to get some good running music, but eventually I found some I could work with.

Then went over and did a biceps + back weight set:
    * biceps: standing biceps curls 1 x 12 x 37.5, 2 x 12 x 40# dumbbells; seated preacher curls 1 x 15 x 50# (+ EZ bar), 1 x 15 x 70, 2 x 12 x 80; standing biceps curls w/machine 1 x 12 x '9', 1 x 12 x '10', 1 x 12 x '11' (I think the numbers were 80#/90/100)
    * back: seated lat pull-downs 3 x 12 x 100; seated 'high back' (basically a kind of row) 3 x 12 x 110; 'low back' (kind of a reverse crunch) 3 x 12 x 100; shoulder press machine 3 x 12 x 80
    * abs: 'total abs' machine...variety of weight (40, 80, 100, 120) 1 x 20 of each...then 50 VERY elevated situps

Quick swim set....
    325 warm-up
    4 x 50 @ 1:30....25 FAST, 25 very easy recovery, did fast free, fly, back, breast...came in around 13, 18, 23, 19
    1 x 50 FAST free....came in on 32
    125 easy cool-down
  2. Sun May 10, LONG run

by , May 10th, 2009 at 02:15 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    Happy Mother's Day to all Moms out there....and to all--don't forget to call your Mother (if she's still around) today!

Just in from my long run today. Got started around 7:25am, and still not early enough. Temp at start was about 75F, and about 88 when I finished.... Nike+ details--
    distance: 16.68 miles
    time: 2 hrs 20 min 47 sec
    avg pace: 8:26/mile
    calories: 2069

Mostly the same beginning as my usual, up along the Consolidated Canal to Gilbert/Warner. Then back down to Cooper/Chandler, stopped in the park for some ice-cold water (that fountain is chilled), then down past my start point, and further along. I crossed Ocotillo, and was at the point where I should head back (to do 16 miles), but I was about 1/4 mile from a drinking fountain and I really needed it, so I got in a little more mileage.
    Tried to keep my pace a little slower overall, so I could get in the extra distance, and it mostly worked. I had a good mix of music with one fast, 1-2 slower. A few others out at the beginning to keep me in pace, but saw very few others for the last 5 miles.
    Hoping to see the new Star Trek movie this afternoon. I've seen all since the 4th in the theater, on opening weekend (most on opening night). This one is supposed to be really good.

Edited to add: after I posted, I was able to squeeze in a quick abs set...80 elevated situps, then 300 crunches (switched leg positions 1/2 way). Then did hold in upper crunch position for about 30 sec, once with legs each way.
    Just finished breakfast....eggs and pancakes. Got back some of those calories I burned off.

Updated May 10th, 2009 at 03:34 PM by aztimm

Categories
    Running
  3. Splashing & Dashing Away...

by , May 8th, 2009 at 12:19 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    Before I forget, GOOD LUCK TO ALL COMPETING AT NATIONALS!!!!!!

Well I bit the bullet and did the Splash & Dash.
    Details:
    500m swim @ Tempe Town Lake
    5k run on the north side of the lake (a 2 loop course)

--air temp: around 102F
    --water temp: around 78F

--final time: 33 min 27 sec (28th place out of about 250)

They didn't give splits, but if I had to hazard a guess it would be--
    * swim: 7 to 8 min
    * transition: 1 to 2 min
    * run: 23 to 25 min

General thoughts:
    I'm really glad I did this, it was a great race. The lake was, well...disgusting, but that's to be expected. They let us go in a little early, so I got used to the temp. I just wore the same swimsuit I wore for workout this morning and the same goggles. I got a bit intimidated seeing guys putting on wetsuits and all kinds of high-tech gear. I love open water swimming, but I HATE that beginning, arms and legs shoving everywhere (felt like I'd lose my suit at one point). Of course I had a guy on me for ~100m who kept jabbing me....eventually I gave him a couple of good kicks and he backed off.
    What can I say about my transition.... A comment someone gave me was why didn't I just have a cup of tea while I was there. I put on my running shorts, sat down, dried my feet, put on socks & shoes, etc.
    The run felt pretty smooth. Thankfully the course was part of the run I've been doing on Tuesdays, so I knew it VERY well. Only I didn't hear them say it was 2 laps....on the first I came in with my sprint, and was pretty pissed to see the turnaround sign. Oh well. I really had to pee the whole time, nearly stopped in a bathroom, but somehow managed to hold it. I paced off of a gal for much of the run, but passed her around the 3-4k mark. Then a guy must have been packing off of me, tried to pass me when I could see the finish, but I held my ground.

The guy I run with was in the top 3 out of the water, and came in #3 overall. I know he's a sandbagger in the pool, and I'd bet he is running with me. But maybe some of that will wear off on me....

This was a great event. With a 6pm start, I was able to just go on my way home. They had about 250, making it a nice competitive race, without being overwhelming (like the marathon).

Saw lots of old friends, folks who used to swim. Several were shocked to see me...one commented he didn't recognize me since I look so different. And then came the comments about biking....why not just do a triathlon.

There's another of these in 2 weeks, a longer swim (I think 1500) with just a 3k run, same start time. I think I'll do that too.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Running
  4. Mon PM/Tues AM workouts

by , May 5th, 2009 at 12:25 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    Made to to both the gym last night and to run this morning.

Gym session...started with a warm-up treadmill run, Nike+ details--
    distance: 2.06 miles
    time: 15 min 53 sec
    avg pace: 7:41/mile
    calories: 256
    Weights--
    * chest: flat bench barbell press 1 x 12 x 70 (+bar), 1 x 12 x 80, 2 x 12 x 90; incline bench barbell press 1 x 12 x 50, 1 x 12 x 60, 1 x 12 x 70, 1 x 12 x 80; flat bench dumbbell press (w/feet on bench) 1 x 15 x 47.5, 1 x 15 x 50, 2 x 15 x 52.5; flat bench dumbbell flys (w/feet on bench) 2 x 12 x 52.5, 2 x 12 x 55
    * triceps: flat bench skull crushers w/EZ bar 3 x 15 x 60# (feet on bench); standing dumbbell triceps curls 3 x 10 x 27.5; rope pulldowns on multi-machine 1 x 12 x 50, 2 x 12 x 60
    * abs: HammerStrenght abs crunch machine 3 x 12 x 100

Anyone know offhand how much a standard barbell weighs? I want to say 45#, but I'm not sure...

Tues morning run...the guy I run with had a dentist appt at 7, so we met around 5:15 () to begin our run. Nike+ details--
    distance: 7.73 miles
    time: 59 min 12 sec
    avg pace: 7:39/mile
    calories: 959
    He said his ankle or something was bothering him, so did I mind not doing the trail portion on the way back. Sure, twist my arm... Going downhill on College from the SRP plant I checked our pace, something like 7:20...and the strange thing on the uphill it was 7:40. This is some crazy fast time for me.
    Afterward, he and his gf were trying to convince me to do a Splash & Dash this Thurs, and I probably will. The swim is in Tempe Town Lake (water temp around 74F), and only a 500m, then a 5k run. I haven't done a short sprint run race for ages, and I'm curious how I'd do. The swim is a joke for me, but maybe I can aim for very fast. My challenge will be the transition. His gf was telling me (after he left for the dentist) how he doesn't wear socks; I said I wouldn't want to trash my feet for my long run on Sunday--to which she agreed.
    Anyone out there done anything like this?
    Then in 2 weeks, there's another....I think either a 1000m or 1500m swim, followed by a whopping 2k run.

Was chatting with some guys at the gym, they were lifting in the area next to me for a while. I commented that they were lifting much more than I even weigh (they had 110# dumbbells, I was using 55's)...then I said that it was probably even more than they weighed (they agreed, they each are around 185). Anyway, they said how they've seen me there for a while...and I told them that I'm certainly open for advice/tips/etc. They told me that I should have 1-1/2 grams of protein for every pound I weight--per day!!! The one guy said he eats 9 eggs for breakfast every day. I know I've upped my protein intake, but I don't think I'm nearly at that level. They asked if I did anything else besides weights, and were shocked when I shared my running and swimming.

Planning to swim with the team tonight, 6PM.
  5. Sun May 3 Long Run

by , May 3rd, 2009 at 03:59 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    Made it out for my long run this morning. I've gotta start either getting up earlier, or just waking up and going out. I started at almost 8am on the nose, and it was already 72F...easily in the low to mid 80s by the time I finished (high today in the mid 90s).

Nike+ details:
    distance: 15.02 miles
    time: 2 hrs 4 min 53 sec
    avg pace: 8:18/mile
    calories: 1863

Felt pretty good up through around 6 miles, then had to really coax myself into sticking it out. Had a tough time getting back after I stopped for a water fountain break around mile 12-13, then the best thing happened--others running, same direction, on the other side of the canal. One gal was VERY gung ho, stopping at benches and doing either elevated pushups or something in the reverse. Passed her, then my goal was another woman, who I overtook about 1/2 mile further up. Then there was a guy...he probably had no idea but he really gave me a great pace. I paused at my last water fountain, then cranked it up...almost caught him towards the end of my run, but he turned around.
    Run itself was along the Consolidated Canal. A little variety in routing, up to Ray Road (between Cooper/Gilbert), then down eventually just past Chandler Heights (between McQueen and AZ Ave). Water in the canal was pretty disgusting south of Queen Creek, lots of algae...then almost no water south of Ocotillo.

This was my furthest run since I did the PHX Marathon on Jan 18. I did run 15.01 miles on Feb 15. I want to slowly build up over the summer with 2 runs about 20 miles, and 1 around 22 before I taper off for the Steamtown Marathon.

Oh, I picked up a Dell Inspiron Mini laptop yesterday. I've been eyeing them for months, and finally took the plunge. Still installing stuff on it, but it should be fully ready by next weekend I hope.

Didn't get to the gym yesterday, but should be back to somewhat normal this week. The following will be crazy with a biz trip out to Western AZ, then my trip to PA to visit family.
    Categories
    Running
  6. Blog catch-up

by , May 1st, 2009 at 09:20 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    Wow, being in this training has really wiped me out. Although it was here in the Phoenix area, it was at a different office, and almost felt like I was in a different city. I don't get to our downtown office very often...

I'll try to remember what I did yesterday and today (so far).

Swim workout with the team, Thurs Apr 30, 6am, ASU Rec Center (SCY)
    --did 60 pushups and held The Plank for 3 min before leaving home
    --think air/water temp were mostly appropriate
    --very small group. I moved into 'lane 2' and split it with a guy for the beginning of the set, then a gal joined us and I went third/last

around 500 warm-up

2 x 300 @ 4:30 (swim/pull)
    2 x 200 @ 3min/4min (swim/kick)
    2 x 100 @ 1:30 (swim/IM)

four rounds of--
    4 x 25 @ :45, stroke count stuff (I think goal was to reduce 1 per 25)
    2 x 100 @ 1:45, aim to keep the lowest stroke count of the 25s

200 cool-down

total: around 3100

then I was all psyched to run @ Tempe Town Lake last night. My training ended a little early, I worked from a co-workers office for a bit, then headed out there....only to find the park fenced off for an event set-up. So I went home and ran along 'my' canal (Consolidated Canal). I think I did this same loop last week, up to Chandler/Cooper, down to McQueen/Queen Creek, then home.
    Don't have Nike+ data, as my iPod crashed just as it was synching
    I do remember the immediate feedback of 6.75 miles, avg pace 8:01. Some feedback I remember from during was mostly 8:05 to 8:20 pace for the first ~5 miles, then <8 for the rest (I remember hearing a 7:40).
    temp was on the warm side, around 90F when I started, and cooled down a hair during, maybe to 86. But this is the calm before the storm....

Made it to swim with the team Fri May 1, 6am ASU Rec Center (SCY)
    --did 70 pushups and held the plank 3 min before leaving home
    --air temp was around 65F, water around 82 I think
    --pretty large group, 4 in my lane. I moved around a bit...started #3, then #2, and then #1 towards the end. I didn't realize how much draft I was getting until it was gone.

400 warm-up choice

8 x 100 @ 1:45 (coach said 1:30 but impossible)...50 fly kick on back, 25 drill, 25 swim
    (I improvised a little on the kick and did some backstroke)

4 x 100 @ 2 min...start w/25 fast-75 easy, getting to 100 FAST
    4 x 75 @ 1:30, same concept as 100s
    4 x 50 @ 1 min, same concept
    4 x 25 @ :45, same

200 easy

(led the lane for this part)
    1 x 100 @ 2 min FAST
    1 x 75 @ 1:30 FAST
    1 x 50 @ 1 min FAST
    1 x 25 FAST

200 easy cool-down

total: around 2850

notes: felt very sluggish at first, but strong at the end. did my last 100 fast on 1:08, 75 on :48, 50 on 30, 25 on around :14 (all rough times, my looking at the clock)

planning to go to the gym on my way home. finished my 4-day training class, dropped someone off at the airport, and came to my office. feels strange being here after being gone most of the week.

Notes: still seriously considering the La Jolla Roughwater swim in September. Paul Smith made a guest appearance at our workout, and asked me afterwards if I was doing a lake swim this weekend...but I'm not. A gal in my training class was from the San Diego area, and she seemed interested in the La Jolla swim (we work for the same company, she may workout, but not on the same level I do).
    Only problem with La Jolla is that it is close time-wise to the Steamtown Marathon...
    Oh, I'm heading to the Scranton area in 2 weeks, so I hope to check out that course, then get myself registered. Also doing a daytrip to NYC to see a show.

Updated May 1st, 2009 at 09:59 PM by aztimm

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Running
  7. Tues Run + Swim

by , April 29th, 2009 at 01:51 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    Made it both to run this morning and to swim workout tonight.

did 60 pushups and held The Plank for 2 min before leaving home.
    Morning run Nike+ data:
    distance: 7.83 miles
    time: 1 hr 00 min 42 sec
    avg pace: 7:45/mile
    calories: 971

Met my friend in Scottsdale, and we did pretty much the same run as last week. Wow, I didn't think I could hold a pace like that.... He pulled some data from his GPS/watch thing, and our last full mile (6 to 7) we held around a 7:25 pace, then for the last .83 (too bad we didn't go a full mile) around a 6:45 pace. Nike+ has me finishing at a 5:58 pace (was probably just ~20 yds).
    I went into my final sprint a little early, and at first didn't think I'd hang on to the end. I was far ahead sprinting, didn't see him behind me. Before I knew it, he caught up to me....and of course I couldn't let him pass me. We had a good race to the end.
    did some stretching, and held The Plank for about another minute after the run. I was showing this to him; he doubted something like this could impact the abs so much....until he tried it.

Was in training in downtown Phoenix all day. We got out at 5:15, and I thought I'd give it a shot driving to ASU. I took surface streets out....and got there in plenty of time. I chatted with the coach a little ahead of time. Neither of us are into those fancy body suits, but neither of us mind others wearing them. I told him if I swim in a meet again, I'd want to compare with my prior times (I'm a little older, but think in better shape). I balk at the price tag, yet I don't hesitate to book a trip to Europe....guess my priorities aren't there.

Anyway, swim workout was at the ASU Mona Plummer swimming complex, main competition pool, set up Short Course Yards
    --air temp about 88F, water around 80F
    --had a fair-sized group, but many seemed to bunch up in the slow lanes (some had 4-5). My lane had just 2, and we split the lane in half

around 500 warm-up

3 rounds of--
    * 8 x 50 @ 1:15, various breath control
    * 1 x 200 (no interval, we just regrouped after), again breath control...3/5/7/9 by 50 (I pulled these)

took about a 5 min break, then the goal was to go as far as possible w/no breath (I made about a 50). the gal swimming with me went 75, then passed out....evidently was quite a commotion, but I didn't know what was going on. the coach and a guy in the next lane came over and fished her out, made sure she was ok. just another reason for me not to like this breath control stuff....

200 easy cool-down

total: around 2550 yards

planning to swim in the morning. MAY take the train downtown, just a PITA to schlep all my stuff with me. I'll stop by the gym on my way home....just some weights.

so far my running for April: 118.4 miles, avg pace: 8:09. Most miles since Nov (when I did over 130). I'll run again Thurs, but not enough to match Nov's mileage.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Running
  8. Sun long run

by , April 26th, 2009 at 09:01 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    I've been trying to read through blogs of everyone at the zone meets this weekend. Sounds like some great swimming by all...Congratulations to all for getting out there and swimming!!!! In the past, I'd hear that xxx from YY broke a record, but it would never mean anything to me. Although I've met very few people from this site, by reading blogs I feel like I've really gotten to know many others.

I made it out for my longish run this morning. Finally, I think I might have figured out 'easy speed' for running. I've been playing with this over the past few years with swimming, and have been trying to apply it to running; only thing is I don't really run the same timeframes that I swim. But having just done a mile swim on Wed, I tried to expand on that for my run today.

Anyway, my Nike+ info:
    distance: 14.25 miles
    time: 1 hr 59 min 01 sec
    avg pace: 8:12/mile
    calories burned: 1769

Was near picture-perfect for weather. I started around 8:20, in the low 60s, and maybe 70 when I finished. A slight breeze most of the time; a bit annoying for a while, but I got used to it.

If my Nike+ graph is anywhere near accurate, I notice a few observations:
    * I took my first mile slow and relaxed, peaking at an 8:10 pace right at mile 1 (I know I checked my pace/time shortly after I heard the 1 mile mark, the current pace sounds right, and I think the time was 8:40)
    * after that first mile, the lowest my pace dipped was an 8:37 pace (around mile 10). Normally I'll see dips at a 9 min pace or slower.
    * outside of my finish, my fastest pace was a 7 min, around mile 8.
    * other than those 2 variances, for the first 11 miles, my pace was between 8:05 and 8:20
    * after mile 11, my pace was faster than 8 min for the rest of the run. I don't remember intentionally doing that.
    * had a solid finish, at a 7:30 pace. that's usually tough for me with a non-treadmill run

I'll continue to play around with the easy speed for my long runs, while mostly builds with my treadmill runs. Funny how I'm just now making some connections between my longer swims and running... It would be interesting to look further at distance per stride and of course my form too. These both are very big in swimming, but I don't hear as much about them for running.

The triathlete guy I swim with wants to continue running together on Tuesdays, which is great for me. Running with him is forcing me to work on the middle part of my runs more. On my own I've gotten into just zoning out until the last 1-2 miles.

This coming week I'm in a training class in downtown Phoenix Tues-Fri 8:30-5:30 (3:30 on Fri). I'll still workout in the mornings, but may miss a few evening sets. Funny, my office is just 7 miles from downtown, but seems a world away.
    Categories
    Running
  9. Thurs PM run/Fast Friday swim

by , April 24th, 2009 at 12:02 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    Made it to run last night, and to swim this morning

Almost didn't run Thursday, worked late, then realized I forgot my Nike+ receiver for my iPod. So I headed home, but still went out on the canal near home. Started around 7 PM, sun setting at the beginning, great time to run. Temp was around 90F when I started, but a nice breeze blowing across the canal made it feel cooler. Having problems w/my home computer (hard drive crashed, new one should arrive today), so couldn't synch my iPod, but did 6.7 miles, held an 8 min pace. When I checked throughout the run, pace was around 8:08 to 8:15, except I turned it up at the end, around 7:30.
    Did a short abs set afterwards, 80 elevated situps, 200 crunches, then 2 x hold upper crunch position for 30 sec. Almost went in the pool after all that, put my feet in but it was still too cold (not exactly sure of temp, didn't turn on the pool light just patio).

Friday morning swim with the team, ASU Rec Center pool, SCY
    --did 60 pushups and held The Plank for 3 min before leaving home
    --air temp around 65F, water around 78F
    --had a fair sized group, 3/4 in most lanes. mine had 4 most of the set, I moved around....

around 500 warm-up choice
    6 x 50 @ :50, descend 1-3/4-6
    4 x 75 @ 1:10 build

6 x 50 @ 1:20, 2 x (2 FAST, 1 easy)
    easy 100

4 x 100 @ 3 min all FAST
    --did an easy 50 after each
    100 easy

2 x 200 @ 4 min both FAST
    --did an easy 50 after the first

200 easy cool-down

total: around 2850

notes: I really didn't feel fast on the 50s at all, was #3 in my lane. held around 32/33
    on the 1st 100, I didn't know what was going on, the gal leading my lane did IM (I did free) and I caught her on the breast leg...just did breast for that 25. The other 3 I went first, came in on 1:08, 1:07, 1:08
    went #2 on the 1st 200, went out way too fast, died on the last 50, came in on 2:26. held steady on the 2nd, and came in on 2:21.

planning to go to the gym tonight after work. 2 mile treadmill run, then weights.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Running
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021