View RSS Feed

Strength Training and Dryland Workouts

1. Tues-Wed 0619-06202012 workouts

by , June 21st, 2012 at 01:19 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    went out for a little spin yesterday before work:

Home to 40th St/Pecos & Wild Horse Pass 36.73 mi 01:54 19.3mph pace

Just a short solo ride for me this morning. Have a bunch of meetings so didn't have as much time. Left home headed west to an odd headwind (usually winds are from the east in the morning). The nice thing was I was nice and fresh so it didn't bother me as much. Did my usual QC ride out toward Ahwatukee, up to 40th St/Pecos, then swung by the Sheraton Wild Horse Pass on the return. I had a nice tailwind on QC for the return, which made that earlier headwind all that much better. Odd, this was my shortest ride in weeks...yet just a few months ago this would have been long for me.
    http://app.strava.com/rides/11198203

I was planning to swim the 6pm workout at Kino last night, but received an email during the day that a pipe burst there and all workouts were canceled. I briefly considered dropping in with Sun Devil Masters or PHX Swim Club, but didn't want to deal with that. I thought of going to the gym... but just ended up skipping.
    it actually felt really nice. we watched the latest True Blood, and I was in bed by 9:30, probably earlier.
    I slept so well, and felt like I could have slept even later when my alarm went off.

went up to Mesa-Skyline this morning for the AM masters swim workout
    we were in the main pool (SCY)
    Tony was coaching

got in 500 w/u choice

transition set:
    6 x 50 @ 1:00, desc 1-3/4-6

main sets:
    10 x 50 @ :50
    6 x 50 @ :20 rest drill
    10 x 50 @ 1:00 stroke (did breast)
    11 x 50 @ :45 (we goofed and did an extra)

200 w/d

TTL: 3450 yards

Skyline was super crowded! Kino was still closed due to the burst pipe, and all of the kids groups were over at Skyline.
    a few of the usual Kino masters came over, but it really wasn't too bad. I think we had 5 or 6 lanes (25 yard lanes), with 3 per lane.
    water temp wasn't too bad either. I'd guess 81 or 82; still warmer than I'd like, but cooler than it was Monday.

initially when Tony gave the set I wasn't too happy. don't know why, but I was all in the mood for 200s today. but once I got into it, the set went pretty well.

after another busy day at work, I headed down to a Toastmasters meeting. then after that, I just went to the Chandler 24 Hour Fitness:

Tmill: 28 min, 376 cal, 3.29 miles, avg 7.0 mph
    2 min warmup
    Start at 6.8 mph and increase .1 mph per 3 min to 17 min
    Then increase .1 per min, to 8.2 mph
    1 min warmdown

Leg rolling: 4 min
    Plank w forearms on roller: 2 x 1:45
    Flutter kicks on Bosu ball: 3 x 30

Incline bench: 1 x 15 x 45 (empty bar), 2 x 12 x 115, 2 x 8 x 135

Triceps standing rope pulldowns: 1 x 15 x 50, 2 x 12 x 60, 2 x 8 x 70

Dumbbell chest fly on decline bench: 1 x 15 x 45's, 1 x 12 x 50's, 1 x 10 x 55's, 2 x 8 x 60's

Leg raises on captain's chair: 3 x 15

the gym really wasn't too crowded, and the temp inside wasn't nearly as warm as I remember from the last time I worked out there (non-swimming).
    yea running on the tmill gets me all drenched, but I think that would happen even if the temp were 5 degrees cooler. as with swimming, I'd prefer cooler temps for running...but I'll take what I'm given.

that said, after going to Lifetime last week, this gym really didn't seem as bad as I remembered. yea the locker rooms are basic, but the weights, cardio, and stretching areas are all on-par.

I felt really good running. maybe I'm finally getting over my non-running mood. again had some good music to help me through. so the treadmills weren't even half full, yet a guy had to go on the one right next to me.

felt good on weights also. I could have pushed things even more...I used to dislike incline bench, but that felt better than my last decline session. and I felt good all the way through the flys.
  2. Monday 06182012 workouts

by , June 19th, 2012 at 02:12 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    went up to Mesa-Skyline for the AM masters swim workout
    Paul was coaching

got in 400 w/u

400 done 25 scull or drill/75 swim
    4 x 100 @ 20 rest
    4 x 50 @ 1:00, desc 1-4

4 x 100 pull @ 1:20
    4 x 50 pull @ 1:00 odds back/evens breast
    8 x 25 pull @ :30 no breath

8 x 50 kick @ :20 rest, fins/no board
    16 x 25 power kick @ :30

400, 25 stroke/75 free

100 w/d

TTL: 3500 yards

I got there and most of the facility was empty. I saw Paul and some guys putting in lane lines, when I saw SCY I was a bit miffed. I guess the kids group is off or at a meet or something, so they didn't setup the pool. I said well we should have just put in some 50m lanelines. oh well, I got over it, mostly.

I don't remember the whole set, but I think this is what we did. there may have been another set.... I asked Paul after what the total was, and he said he didn't know.

we had a decent group, 20 or so, pretty big for Skyline. I split a lane with one guy, and we swam with another lane or 2. the guy who coached before was in the next lane...Paul had him swim IM when I did 4 x 100 pull. everyone else did them on 1:30, but I told this guy, "I thought I'd keep you company."

the water was definitely warm. they have 1 aerator at Skyline, it looked like it was running overnight. I haven't yet registered for Saturday's meet, and right now I'm leaning toward skipping it. with temps of 110+ this week, the water will easily be 85+, and the air temp at the meet won't be too cool either.

in the afternoon, there was a huge fire about 2 miles from my office. there was PVC pipe, gas tanks, and propane tanks. I snapped this picture from my office:

there's tons of info online here:
    http://www.azcentral.com/community/g...lding-brk.html

I was a bit worried traffic may be a mess, but I got to the gym without any issues after work.

went to the 24 Hour Fitness @ Mesa Riverview:

Tmill: 26 min, 347 cal, 3.05 miles, avg 7 mph
    2 min warmup
    Start at 6.8 mph and increase .1 every 3 min
    At 15 min increase .1 per min
    Max 8.2 mph
    A min warmdown

I wanted to get in 3 miles, and I was successful. it actually got much easier as I went through the run. the hardest for me is always the first 10 min, after that the next 10 min seems much easier. had some good music toward the end to keep me going...Kenny Loggins, Danger Zone right near the end.

Leg rolling: 5 min +

Side planks: 3:00 done as 45 sec right, 45 sec left x 2

Pullups: 3 x 8, plus 5 sec horiz legs after each set

Biceps preacher curls: 2 x 12 x 80, 2 x 10 x 90, 2 x 8 x 100

Hammer strength front lat pulldowns: 1 x 15 x 90, 2 x 10 x 160

the gym was a bit warm, I was really dripping when I finished on the tmill.
    oh the tmill next to me was broken, but not marked. I don't know how many people got on, tried to use it, then left... just as I was finishing, a guy did that, then I said, "I'm just finishing, I just need to wipe this down." He said, "you don't need to wipe it down, I'm just going to get more on it."

anyway, I felt really strong on my biceps curls. I was going to use a machine or dumbbells...but the machine was taken and the dumbbells area looked busy. I'm sure I'll feel this, if not tomorrow definitely Wednesday.

oh amidst the activity of the fire at work, my manager called me. she's up in Salt Lake City this week. anyway, we had known that they'd be changing my reporting to someone else, and evidently that will happen tomorrow. I'm supposed to have a meeting with him and his manager tomorrow morning. I've chatted with him a bunch, been in meetings/projects with him, but haven't yet met in-person--he's in Minneapolis.
    at least I still have a job
  3. Friday 06152012 workouts

by , June 16th, 2012 at 01:34 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    went up to Mesa-Kino for the AM masters swim workout
    we were in the main pool (LCM)
    Paul & Laura were coaching, I was with Paul's group

got in 600 w/u choice/various

transition set:

12 x 50, done as 4 rounds, at: 1:00, :50, and :40

6 x 100, done as 2 rounds at: 2:00, 1:40, and 1:20 (no I didn't make either of the 1:20s)

main sets:

50 easy kick @ 1:30
    100 fast off the block (1:25ish)
    50 easy

200 fast off the block, broken at 100 for 20 sec (2:55ish)
    50 easy

300 fast off the block, broken at each 100 for 15 sec (didn't get a time, or if I did it was too depressing to remember)
    50 easy

(took off drag suit)
    400 fast off the block (5:50ish)
    50 easy

50 easy swim

we did 100s stroke fast in waves, I think I was in the 3rd wave:
    100 fast breast for time (1:35)

150 easy

TTL: 3500m

hadn't seen the Kino AM crew since before my vacation. it was nice to see everyone again and catch up.

I felt really worn down, especially my arms and legs. funny, lifting Monday didn't really hit me too much, but lifting Wednesday did. then my legs were still shot from riding yesterday.

after we did the 200, I knew what was coming, but I was hoping it wasn't true.
    at some point between sets, I commented to a gal how I felt like I was going to puke. a guy in the next lane heard me and I think he agreed. she just said, do it over there (pointing to the deck)

I sometimes take off my drag suit for fast swims. even though I wasn't feeling fast, I figured I'd take it off, maybe it would help. I was wearing the Team Great Britain suit under it that I picked up in London. maybe that helped?
    then when we started the 400 (I was last in the lane of 5), Paul had shuffled people around to race each other and Shauna led my lane. I was determined not to let her lap me...I succeeded at that, but also ended up passing the gal in front of me (and I went a full 10 back, took the full rests, etc).

there were a few visitors there, some really fast people it seemed. too bad Patrick didn't make the trek down.

after work I went over to the 24 Hour Fitness @ Mesa Riverview and got in the following:

Tmill: 23 min, 294 cal, 2.58 miles, avg 6.7 mph
    2 min warmup
    Various 6.7 to 7.7 mph
    1 min cool down

Leg rolling: 5 min

Plank w forearms on roller: 2 x 1:30
    Side plank: 3:00, done as 2 rounds of 45 sec right/45 sec left

Step ups, forward: 3 x 10 each side
    Box jumps: 3 x 8

Decline bench: 3 x 10 x 135

Lifefitness triceps extension: 1 x 15 x 65, 1 x 12 x 80, 2 x 10 x 95

Star trak pec fly: 1 x 15 x 120, 1 x 12 x 150, 2 x 10 x 180, 2 x 8 x 195

again my legs didn't feel like doing anything, but I decided to try running anyway. through about 1-1/2 mile, I just wasn't feeling it. then around that point, I really wanted to stretch things out. maybe I should have gone further, but I wanted to get at other stuff.

I usually like and do well at decline press, but again, just wasn't feeling it today. I usually can add weight on, but today I was just lucky to continue the number of reps with the weight I first put on.

after that, I changed and went in the gym pool
    just did an easy 300m (it is a 25m pool). water felt nice and cool, and I actually felt like I could keep going. just a nice, easy, aerobic pace.
  4. Wednesday 06132012 workouts

by , June 14th, 2012 at 01:16 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    went over to Mesa-Skyline for the AM masters workout
    Jon was coaching

got in 400 w/u choice/various

transition set:
    2 x (
    4 x 50 drill @ 1:05
    200 neg split @ 3:45)
    (200 times: 3:02, 2:55)

main set: no extra rest, except noted
    1 x 400 @ 7:00
    2 x 200 @ 3:20
    4 x 100 @ 1:35
    4 x 50 @ 1:00--recovery

about 1 min rest

2 x 200 @ 3:20
    4 x 100 @ 1:35
    4 x 50 @ 1:00--recovery

warm-down: 200

TTL: 3800m

I think we had more swimmers per lane for our masters workout than the kids had in the other part of the pool; we had 5 in our lane, and I think the other 2 lanes were the same (the kids had just 2-3)

Jon was coaching the kids, and we did a variant of their set. we didn't have enough time to do the whole thing on round 2, so he told us to forgo the 400. we were supposed to deduct rest also, but didn't.

I felt a little sluggish at the beginning of the workout; may have been feeling last night's set. but during that transition set, I suddenly went from meh to ok, as my 200 times show.

the main set was pretty good. got plenty of rest on the 400, some on the 200s, and just 8 sec or so on the 100s.

on Monday Paul pointed out how there was a loose cockatoo hanging out on the backstroke flags. I saw it again today. must be one that somehow escaped. since the pool is open now for the summer season, it is probably getting scraps of food from poolgoers during the day.

I somehow completely forgot to bring my shoe orthodics. I'm so used to wearing them; been wearing them for about 2 years I think. it didn't really hurt not having them, but just felt strange.

I went to the gym after work, but given no orthodics, I decided to forgo the tmill....

Elliptical: 10 min, 130 cal, 1.1 miles

Plank w forearms on gray Swiss ball: 2 x 1:30
    Flutter kicks on bosu ball: 2 x 30
    Bicycles: 3 x 50

Pullups: 3 x 8 w 5 sec horizontal legs after each

Biceps preacher curls: 1 x 12 x 75, 2 x 10 x 85, 2 x 8 x 95

Hammer strength high row: 1 x 15 x 90, 2 x 12 x 180, 2 x 8 x 200

I ran into several people I know at the gym, had to tell about my vacation, catch up, etc...

those flutter kicks on bosu really kicked my butt. but they really fried my abs...need to do more of those. I just wanted some variety from my normal planks.

I was going to lift lighter for curls, but I felt ok so was about normal.

I think my jetlag is almost done with. when my alarm clock went off I felt like I could have slept even more.

oh, and my weight before/after the trip was nearly the same. I guess all the walking, and some swimming, helped offset eating tons of food everywhere.

lastly, Nike is shooting a commercial at London Bridge in Lake Havasu City (the guy who bought it thought he was buying the Tower Bridge) to show during the triathlon at the Olympics. they did a casting call in the area...I submitted tons of info, including a picture, and heard back yesterday as to compensation, time, etc. it is next Tuesday and starts at the crack of dawn. the pay is ok... I think it would be kinda cool to be in a commercial, airing during the Olympics, but I may give it a pass. still mulling this over.
    there's info about Lake Havasu City here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Havasu_City,_Arizona
    I've been, and they really milk the whole London Bridge thing, with an English village, pubs, etc. very odd.
  5. Mon PM-Tues workouts 0611-06122012

by , June 13th, 2012 at 01:14 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    went to the gym after work last night. I was able to slip out of work around 4:30, which made a HUGE difference...both in getting to the gym, and in the volume of people there. I was on the treadmill and already got in 1/2 mile by 5.

Tmill: 21 min, 268 cal, 2.35 miles, avg 6.7 mph
    2 min warmup
    Jog at 6.7 to 7.5 mph
    1 min warmdown

felt pretty decent.

Leg rolling: 5 min (quads and IT bands really sore and tight)

Side planks: 3:00, done as 2 x (right then left) at :45 each

Various stretches and some pushups

Incline bench: 1 x 12 x 95, 2 x 8 x 135

Triceps skull crushers: 3 x 10 x 65 + 5 narrow presses after each round

Freemotion dual cable cross chest fly: 1 x 15 x 70, 1 x 12 x 80, 2 x 10 x 85, 2 x 8 x 90

My legs are really fried from my run on Saturday. I really should know better...well I do know better, but did it anyway. the foam rolling was kinda painful, but I know it is good for me. I did ice yesterday, and icing right now. hope they're back to normal soon.

this morning, I did a little warm-up spin (~15 miles) then met my friend Nick for another spin:

AM Spin around S Chandler, to 40th St/Pecos + Sheraton 47.66 mi 02:30 19.0mph pace

Did another spin with Nick this morning. I did a warm-up ~15 miles before meeting him, then we took Riggs over to Maricopa Rd, then up to 40th St/Pecos, with a stop at the Sheraton Wild Horse Pass on the way back. We split up at AZ Ave/QC, and I was going through the airport on my way home...when I got a puncture on my rear tire. I stopped to fix it, but both my CO2 tubes were empty. So I had to call for a ride back, just a mile. Oh well...at least I had a good spin before that.
    Distance: 47.66 mi
    Time: 2:30:37
    Avg Speed: 19.0 mph
    Elevation Gain: 135 ft
    http://app.strava.com/rides/10651953

I was really ticked about the flat. I thought of just walking the bike home rather than even try to deal with it, but with nicer bike shoes with cleats, I would have really trashed them. I ordered Kool Kovers today...they're supposed to make things a bit easier for walking.
    then somehow my chain got really messed up. I had a work conf call, so I dealt with the bike after that...and proceeded to get both hands, an arm, and a leg all trashed, without success. So I just put it all in my car and went to the shop (~2 miles away), and they had it back to normal in ~3 min. I wanted more spare tubes and CO2 tubes anyway.

after work today, I went up to Mesa-Kino for the PM masters swim workout.
    Jack was on deck coaching

got in about 800 w/u (I was early, and didn't really count)

16 x 25 @ :10 rest
    --odds free
    --evens stroke (I did #2 breast, #4 back, was going to vary them, but then Jack started giving me feedback so I did all the other evens backstroke)

200, broken every 50 for 20 sec
    (adjusted time 2:18)

12 x 25 backstroke @ :10 rest
    focus on long underwater dolphin kicks off the walls

200, broken every 50 for 15 sec

8 x 25 breaststroke @ :10 rest
    2 kicks per pull. focus on kicking when hands in front (and Jack had me work on my head position too)

200, broken every 50 for 10 sec

6 x 25 free @ :10 rest
    just float through them, easy, recovery...get ready for next set

200 for time (2:24)

300 easy w/d

TTL: 2950 yards

there was some sort of synchro competition going on in the diving well. the warm-up pool was open for open swim (one lane for lap swimming, the rest for splashing around), and the slides were open--maybe we'll do slide drills sometime

we had 4 lanes of the main pool--and a whopping 4 swimmers. I hadn't seen a group this small for ages. the last time I went to a PM workout, we started with 2 lanes and 8 or so per lane.
    the small group made it easy to get lots of individual feedback. I'm not opposed to doing backstroke, but I usually just don't do this much. once Jack started giving feedback, I wanted to continue so I could work on his suggestions...then he gave more.

speaking of backstroke... since I just don't do that much, I don't know how the flags work. I'd swear that one side was much closer to the wall--I jammed my fingers on the 12 x 25 set. I said something to Jack, and he said how they're strung over 50m, with no brackets holding them in place, with winds blowing them around...so I was probably right. I learned quickly with that one end, then I was stopping short on the other.

the water felt warm--I'd guess 84-85. I commented to a gal that it would be so much nicer if it were 3 degrees cooler. she said how specific that was

anyway, at least my 200s were fairly consistent (I don't remember all the splits, but they did vary from set to set). I was a hair ahead of the other guy on the first round. on the 1st 50 of round 2, he beat me by a sec, then I noticed he put fins on. that just made me want to push more...and I ended up beating him overall, and on the rest.
    I should be able to do a 200 for time in 2:18 or better...but I'm still recovering from jet lag, running foolishness, biking foolishness, and I'm sure I can make up many other excuses
  6. Monday 05142012: smoky AM swim & PM gym

by , May 15th, 2012 at 01:27 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    went up to Mesa-Skyline for the AM masters swim workout
    Paul was coaching

(I had my very own 50m lane to myself!)

100 w/u

10 x 50 @ :20 rest
    --odds various drills/skulls
    --evens various kicks

300 swim, focus on low stroke count (goal 35, actual 36-38)

10 x 50 @ :50, "to get the blood flowing"

300 pull w/buoy + paddles, again with a focus on low stroke count (actual was about 33-34)

10 x 50 kick @ 1:00, w/fins + board (well last 2 I did back no board)

300 swim w/fins + paddles. fast w/low stroke count (was around 32)

6 x 50 @ 1:05, long and minimal breaths

200 w/d

TTL: 3000m

due to the wildfire just north of Mesa, it was very smoky...especially out near Skyline. you could smell the smoke. it got quite hazy from all the smoke (and whatever LA gives us in the air) during the day.

this was a good shake-out swim. other than the 50s on 50, and maybe the breath control, nothing was overly difficult.

water was nice, clear, and cool...just the way I like it. I had a guy to swim with. Paul asked why I was out at Skyline and I said, "it is hard to pass up having my own 50m lane."

after work I went over to the 24 Hour Fitness @ Mesa-Riverview:

Tmill: 26 min, 342 cal, 3.01 miles, avg 6.9 mph
    2 min warmup
    3 min at 6.8-6.9
    1 min regroup
    3 min at 7.0-7.2
    1 min at 7.3 to 8.2
    1 min warmdown

Leg rolling: f5 min
    Plank w forearms on roller: 2 x 1:50
    Side plank: 3:00 done as a continuous 4 x 45 right/left (x2)

Biceps preacher curls: 3 x 12 x 85, 2 x 9 x 95

Hammer strength front lat pulldowns: 1 x 15 x 90, 2 x 12 x 140, 1 x 9 x 160

while on the tmill, I got a very sudden, and very SHARP pain in my left ankle. so much that I took that minute to regroup. after a few sec the pain went away. I went back to run/jog mode, and was fine the rest of the time.

I felt pretty good for everything else. just didn't have much time, so did my leg rolling, planks, and a very short weights set.
  7. Friday 05112012, AM Swim & PM Gym

by , May 12th, 2012 at 01:47 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    we were in the main pool (but moved around a bit), LCM
    Paul and Laura coached, I was with Paul's group

got in 300 w/u various

800 w/fins done as--
    50 fast stroke (did back)
    150 long and smooth

4 x 100 kick @ :15 rest IMO
    (I used fins for fly & back)

600 w/fins done as--
    100 fast (did IM)
    100 long and smooth

4 x 100 power kick @ :20 rest (with fins)

400 w/fins + paddles--all FAST

4 x 100 kick @ :15 rest IMO
    (I used fins for fly & back)

200 FAST for time (from a push, did free 2:51)

200 w/d

TTL: 3700m

hmm where to begin?
    it was definitely a fins day, frying the legs, even more than my legs already were fried from biking this week.

either I took the 50 fast back too fast and the ez free too easy from the 800 or others didn't do the set right.

those power kicks were just killer. Paul specifically told me to shoot for 30+m, but I think I was lucky to do 20m. once you surfaced, it was easy swim to the other wall. this is really tough, especially LCM

by the time I got to the 200 fast at the end, Paul moved me over to the lane with Shawna, who was just finishing up. I hoped that maybe she left some speed behind in the lane for me, but alas she took it with her when she got out.
    he told me my split was 1:22, which is quite horrible. my legs were completely shot by that point. the odd thing is, I thought I was conservative with my first 100.

today is my Mom's 80th Birthday!
    so I called her while enroute to the gym after work, and chatted a little after I got there. my brothers are going in and taking her to Top of the 80s Restaurant tomorrow. the place is named because it is right where the I-81 and I-80 meet, but they felt it would be appropriate for her 80th birthday too.

anyway, I made it to the gym after work, 24 Hour Fitness @ Mesa Riverview:

Tmill: 28 min, 377 cal, 3.30 miles, avg 7.0 mph. Same as Wed--
    2 min warmup to 4.5
    Jog at 6.8, increase every 3 min to 14 min
    Increase .1 every 1 min to 8
    Hold 8 for 3 min
    8.1-8.2 for 1 min each
    1 min cool down

Leg rolling: 5+ min

Ladder drills: 3 rounds of--
    Forward
    Side (switch then back)
    Out + in

Step ups forward: 2 x 10 each leg
    Step ups lateral: 2 x 10 each leg
    Box jumps: 3 x 8

Hanging leg raises from pullup bars: 4 x 8

Incline bench: 3 x 10 x 135, 1 x 6 x 155

Univ machine triceps rope pulldowns: 1 x 12 x 50, 2 x 10 x 60, 2 x 8 x 70

Free motion dual cable cross chest fly: 1 x 15 x 70, 1 x 12 x 80, 2 x 10 x 85, 2 x 8 x 90

this was one of my best runs in months. also one of the longer in a while. I think it will put me at 10 miles of running for the week. quite paltry compared with what I was doing a year ago, but I certainly wasn't biking 100+ miles a week then either.

the gym wasn't too busy, so I took advantage of the open floor in the stretching area to do the ladder drills.

I nearly went right into my mega plank routine after leg rolling, but I thought that may be too much core, so I held off and just did those hanging leg raises. they certainly fry your abs, in a short amount of time. I'm not sure if it is better to do that before chest or after though...

after lifting, I did an easy 300m swim (SCM) in the gym pool.

so 2 guys (plus another I haven't met yet) who I've biked with wanted me to join them tomorrow for a ride on the AZ 87/Beeline (the AZ Ironman bike course). there was a flurry of email exchanges, mentioning 2-3 loops, a run after, etc. the more I thought about it, the more I just decided I didn't want to go. no real reason, but I'm just not feeling it. since I don't have any set cycling events lined up (I do have a couple tentative, but not until Oct), I thought why force myself to do something I don't want to, and risk injury?
    If I wake up and feel like it, maybe I'll do a short run with Holly tomorrow morning. with leaving for London soon, I should get my running somewhat comfortable if I want to run there. and Holly will be staying with people who run with dogs...
    instead of doing a forced ride tomorrow, I'll probably ride over to Ahwatukee on Sunday. I only need 25 miles to hit my weekly 100 mile goal.
  8. Wednesday 05092012: Timed 1500m :)

by , May 9th, 2012 at 01:16 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    Paul & Laura were coaching
    Paul's group was in the main pool (LCM), Laura's group in the warm-up pool (SCY)

got in 300 w/u choice

16 x 50--
    * odds @ :50
    * evens @ 1:00
    (did them all free and tried to hold same times)

100 easy kick

8 x 50--
    * odds @ 1:00 (did free)
    * evens @ 1:10 (did breast)

1500m for time (22:19)

300 w/d (did 200 kick w/fins, 100 easy swim with fins)

TTL: 3400m

so the reason for the 1500m...
    over the weekend I was reviewing my emails and the NYC Swim website for my upcoming Statue of Liberty Swim. Now if last year's Governor's Island Swim hadn't gotten canceled (the night before), I would have been able to do this year's swim without any qualifyier. But since it was canceled, it is like starting over. So I needed a timed 1500m (or 1650 yards) in under 35 min.
    I emailed Paul and Laura over the weekend to see if this would be something I could do with the team, preferably LCM. I offered to come early/stay late, even come at another time, whatever worked. After workout on Monday, Paul said he would incorporate it into a workout, either today or Friday.

now of course had I known I would be doing it today, I probably wouldn't have pushed a 40 mile cycling jaunt yesterday (holding 19.5+ mph is a new concept for me), and I more than likely would have skipped swimming last night. but such is life. sometimes the element of surprise is better.

evidently Paul told everyone at workout--except me--what was in store for them. I had no idea what we were doing until after those 8 x 50's. I was expecting 100 easy, certainly not right into a timed 1500m. when Paul gave the set, he told everyone it was courtesy of me, and asked me what time I needed to have it in. when I told him under 35 min, he said, "If Tim doesn't go under 25 min, he's buying everyone a Starbucks." so that was my goal for today

so as to that 'surprise' 1500m (reminds me of pop quizzes we used to have in school)...
    Paul reset the clock so we started on 0:00, and I had a clear view of the clock. it was just a push start, and I tried to keep my pace under 1:30 per 100m...and seemed successful at it. Paul had my splits written down and said #1 was about 1:23, the others were 1:29/1:30, and my last was 1:25.

at the LCM meet I did last July at Skyline I did a 1500m (as the first event) in 22:07. If I remember correctly, our Friday workout was a little light, and I skipped the gym Friday night. so no huge taper, but not quite a workout swim either, which is what I'd classify today as.

so now I should figure out a goal for a 1500m for our next meet. I'm thinking I should be able to go under 22 (that's 1:28 per 100m).

oh and as I left, I told Paul, "I don't really care about my time for Liberty Island, it is more to say I swam around the Statue of Liberty." but the more I think about it, the more I'm sure I'll have a goal time. The last I checked, there were 330 people registered for the 250 spots, so I want to make sure I secure my spot (I registered back in December, right after registration opened).

Depending how things go with Liberty Island, I'm pondering the thought of doing the Little Red Lighthouse Swim
    (would be much easier if swimsuit addict also does it )

I had a couple of surprises at work--

in the morning when our mail came, a co-worker sent me this bike jersey:

late in the day a big storm rolled in:

this despite the forecast calling for, "10% chance of blowing dust."
    oddly, I don't think I saw any blowing dust. I did however see plenty of rain, trees nearly blowing over from the wind, and a little bit of hail.

after I left work, braved the storm and went to the gym, 24 Hour Fitness @ Mesa Riverview:

Tmill: 25 min, 329 cal, 2.89 miles, avg 6.9 mph
    2 min warmup, 3.7 to 4.5
    Jump to 6.8, increase .1 to 7.2
    Increase .1 to 8.0 a min each
    8.1/8.2 for 30 sec
    1 min warmdown

Plank w forearms on roller: 2 x 2:00, a new PB
    Side plank: 3:00, done as 4 x 45 (2 right, 2 left), finished w 5 pushups and hold for 10 sec

Pullups: 4 x 8, 5 sec horizontal legs after each round

Hammer strength biceps curl: 1 x 15 x 45, 1 x 12 x 70, 1 x 10 x 80, 2 x 8 x 90

Hammer strength seated row: 1 x 15 x 90, 2 x 12 x 140, 2 x 10 x 160

it was basically the same treadmill run as Mon, but I held 8.0 for a min, then 8.1 for 30, 8.2 for 30.

I had a late start, ran a little longer (almost didn't want to do anything else).

was going to do the HS biceps machine one-arm, but it didn't seem too suited for that, the arm really wavered so I just went back to 2 arms.

while I was doing the seated row, there was a guy next to me doing leg presses. he did a set with 6 plates on each side...540#, and he said his max was 720

Updated May 10th, 2012 at 01:47 AM by aztimm

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Running
  9. Monday 05072012: between an addict and chaos

by , May 8th, 2012 at 01:27 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    I went over to Mesa-Skyline for the AM masters swim workout
    Paul was coaching solo

got in 400 w/u

8 x 50 @ 1:05, 25 drill or scull/25 swim (did a mix of drills and sculls, and even some breast)

100 kick (used fins + board)

4 x 100 IM @ 2:00 (did fly drills)

400 pull (did 75 free/25 breast), with paddles + buoy

4 x 200 @ 3:15

400 IM (did fly drill, I think 6:53)

200 w/d

TTL: 3300m

finally I got to see/meet swimsuit addict and chaos! everyone chatted before workout, then we very gradually made our way into the pool.

as usual it was a small group at Skyline, and the Skyline regulars seemed to stay to one side while the non-regulars went to the other. I had my own lane (in a 50m pool!), between swimsuit addict and chaos. all of us did mostly the same thing, up until the 200s, when SA and I went on a different interval (the others did 3:00). SA took a masters minute or 2 during the set, but I told her she could be forgiven, since she swam more over the past few days than I have in the last 2 weeks.

water was nice and cool...and it was great to have excellent swimmers to either side. I was humbled that they even showed up for workout. I think they swam like 25 miles over 3 days. heck, other than when I've run a marathon, I never even ran that much over 3 days, and certainly never swam that much. I told them I probably would have just slept in before heading home.

after workout, Kent and I got the chance to meet the NYC swimmers for breakfast at a nearby Wildflower Bread Co before they headed back to Scottsdale.

oddly, after work I was really itchy to get to the gym, for the first time in weeks. went up to the 24 Hour Fitness @ Mesa Riverview. you can definitely tell that ASU is either done or winding down, the gym wasn't nearly as busy.

Tmill: 24 min, 313 cal, 2.75 miles, avg 6.8 mph
    2 min warmup, 3.7 to 4.5 mph
    Begin jog at 6.8, increase to 8.1 mph
    1 min warmdown, 4.6 to 4.3 mph

Plank w forearms on roller: 2 x 1:50
    Side plank: 2 x (45 sec right, 45 sec left), continuous for 3 min

Step ups, forward: 2 x 10, each leg
    Step ups, lateral: 2 x 10, each leg
    Box jumps, forward: 3 x 8

Dumbbell chest press: 1 x 15 x 47.5's, 1 x 12 x 52.5's, 1 x 10 x 55's, 2 x 8 x 65's, 1 x 6 x 70's

Triceps skull crushers: 3 x 8 x 75 + 5

Dumbbell chest fly: 1 x 15 x 45's, 1 x 12 x 50's, 2 x 10 x 55's, 1 x 8 x 60's

this was my best feeling run in ages. I had great music, my friend Sean was on the treadmill next to me, I had a couple tv's with interesting stuff in sight, and my legs felt fresh.

I felt guilty yesterday when Jazz called me out for not doing legs for ages...so I did those step ups and even some box jumps. my legs still felt pretty fresh, but we'll see how they feel tomorrow morning.

although the gym wasn't busy, the weights area was. every bench was taken, and all of the fly machines, so I just camped out on a flat bench and use dumbbells, an EZ bar, then more dumbbells.
  10. Monday 04302012 AM Swim & PM Recovery

by , May 1st, 2012 at 01:09 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    Laura was coaching solo

got in 400 w/u choice

extended w/u set:
    400 swim
    300 pull (used buoy + paddles)
    200 kick (used fins + board)
    100 stroke (did 50 back/50 breast)

main set:
    1 x 300 @ 5:00 strong
    6 x 50 kick @ 1:10 (used fins + board)

2 x 300 @ 5:00, 1st neg split, 2nd hold faster 150 pace of the first
    12 x 50 pull @ 1:00, 2 fast/1 easy (used paddles + buoy)

200 w/d

TTL: 3400m

on my way to Kino, I was driving along Cooper Rd, almost at Guadalupe, when there was a dog on the side of the road walking on the sidewalk/bike lane. then it diverted over, a car clipped it, and it went flying into the middle of the road (Cooper is 2-lanes each direction w/middle turn lane there). of course the idiot who hit the dog (a beautiful Golden Retriever) didn't stop or anything. I was in the left lane, couldn't stop but tried to chase down the guy who hit; I got next to him, was beeping and yelling, but he wouldn't even make eye contact.
    after I got to Kino, Laura said it looked like I had seen a ghost. I told her she didn't want to know. eventually I told her, and thankfully I was wearing mirrored goggles and she had on sunglasses. my heart just really wasn't into swimming after that (together with my legs rather trashed from my ride yesterday).

none of the 300s were all that fast. last week I was holding 4:25ish on 5:00, today it was closer to 4:40.
    but I did like that pull set...was able to hold 40 to 45, and rolled right into the easy ones to get more rest before going fast.

I really debated if I should go to the gym after work. ended up going and did a very abbreviated/recovery workout:

Tmill: 12 min, 95 cal, .95 mile, avg 4.7 mph
    5 min w/u and walk to 4.5
    1 min jog
    3 min walk at 45
    2 min jog
    1 min w/d
    Just enough to work up a sweat

Side plank: 4 x :45, 2 x (right + left)

Leg rolling: 8 min (incl stretching)

I actually felt like I could have done a real run, but thought I should take things easy. oh, and I did my treadmill trick to get a broken one to work

seemed like I could have done leg rolling forever. I really got my IT bands, quads, glutes, and hamstrings. I did ice and roll yesterday, along with soaking my legs in the backyard pool (water temp around 74F).

I was so tired when I posted yesterday that I forgot to include some pictures I took while out on my little biking jaunt:

View of downtown Phoenix from the end of San Juan trail, South Mountain Park:

my bike, also at the end of San Juan trail:

A shot of TV Towers from the pavilion where I refilled my water bottles:

I'm supposed to meet my friend Carl for an AM ride tomorrow morning. my legs feel around 85% now, so I think I'll be ok, just no more 70+ mile rides or major hills for at least a few days (tomorrow should be ~32 with minimal elevation).
    I'll probably then hit the PM swim workout tomorrow. think I'll pass on blocks, unless I'm feeling super strong.
  11. Friday 04272012 AM Swim & PM Gym

by , April 28th, 2012 at 01:29 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    Paul & Laura were coaching
    went with Paul's group in the main pool LCM (Laura's group was in the diving well SCY)

200 w/u

100 fast, broken at the 50 for :15
    300 easy

2 x 100 fast @ 2:30, broken at the 50 for :15
    200 easy

3 x 100 fast @ 2:30, broken at the 50 for :15
    100 easy

the following sets all w/fins:
    300 fast @ 5:00
    50 kick w/board

2 x 300 fast @ 5:00
    2 x 50 kick (did them on back)

3 x 300 fast @ 5:00
    (we ran out of time)

warm-down:
    50 easy kick (to get to the other side to leave my fins)
    100 easy swim

after yesterday's rain, the water felt a bit brisk when we first got in. but certainly by the time I got out it felt like it still could have been cooler
    swam in a lane with 2 others, and led the whole time.

the set of 300s seemed endless. I held around 4:25 on them though, which isn't too bad.

after work I went over to the gym and did the following:

Tmill: 22 min, 283 cal, 2.48 miles, 6.7 mph
    2 min warmup
    Jog at 6.8 to 7.8 mph
    1 min warmdown

Plank w forearms on roller: 2 x 1:40
    Side plank: 4 x :45 done as 2 right/2 left, continuous

Pullups: 4 x 8 + 5 sec horizontal legs on last of each set

Univ machine standing biceps curls: 1 x 15 x 80, 1 x 12 x 100, 2 x 10 x 110, 2 x 8 x 120

Univ machine seated row: 1 x 15 x 90, 2 x 10 x 135, 1 x 8 x 150

Life fitness biceps curl (single arm): 1 x 15 x 50, 2 x 9 x 65

Star trak rear delt machine: 1 x 15 x 60, 1 x 12 x 75, 2 x 10 x 90, 2 x 8 x 105

my legs seemed rather trashed from riding and I was concerned with running at all. but once I got on the treadmill and moving, I felt fine, and actually felt really great as the run progressed. this was one of my more speedy runs. but really for 2-1/2 miles....it isn't much to speak of.
    weights were mostly just a stretch-out, really tried not to push too much.
    I hadn't used the rear delt machine for a long time, and that first round (very light weight) really hurt. I guess being hunched over on my bike got everything all tight. it took 2-3 rounds to really open up my back, and I'm glad I pressed on. definitely have to do this one regularly.

after I finished in the gym, I changed and did an easy 300 stretch-out swim in the pool (SCM). nothing fast, maybe a 1:45/100 pace.
  12. Wednesday 04252012 AM LCM Swim & PM Gym

by , April 26th, 2012 at 01:46 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    went to Mesa-Kino for the AM masters swim workout
    Paul & Laura were coaching, I went with Paul's group in the main pool LCM (Laura's group was in the warm-up pool SCY)

300 w/u

8 x 50 @ 1:00

400 cruise

8 x 100 @ 1:45

400 cruise

8 x 50 @ :50 swim w/fins

400 cruise w/fins + paddles

400 kick (I kept the fins on, did 100 free/50 fly/100 free/50 fly w/board, then 100 back no board)

200 w/d

TTL: 3700m

we had a pretty light group today, just 3 in my lane and I went 2nd most of the time (I did stop at one point and went 3rd briefly)
    I kept thinking the set would get more intense, but it didn't really. either that, or I'm used to LCM. 50s on 1:00 really isn't too tough, on :50 can be a challenge, but not really with equipment.
    for the 100s, I tried to hold 1:25, getting 20s rest, and mostly was able to. I think when I did my 1500m last summer I held around a 1:27/100m pace

after work, I finally made my way to the gym

Tmill: 21 min, 266 cal, 2.33 miles, avg 6.6 mph
    2 min warmup
    Start at 6.8 mph, increase to 7.6 mph
    1 min warmdown

Leg rolling: 6 min
    Side plank: 4 x :45, 2 right/2 left, continuous

Decline bench: 1 x 15 x 95, 2 x 10 x 135, 2 x 6 x 155

Triceps skull crushers: 3 x 10 x 70 + 5

Freemotion dual cable cross chest fly: 1 x 15 x 70, 1 x 12 x 80, 2 x 10 x 85, 2 x 8 x 90

Univ machine triceps rope pulldowns: 1 x 12 x 50, 2 x 10 x 60, 1 x 8 x 70

Hanging leg raises from univ machine Pullup bars: 3 x 10

right as I was walking in, I bumped into my friend Sean. he was stretching then would do weights. I told him that I could lift with him, but then I'd never run...so he told me to run and he'd do weights on his own.
    I really wasn't in the mood to run, but put on my headphones, and my long run playlist...first song was Madonna's, "Vogue," then Nine Inch Nails, "Head Like a Hole," both fantastic songs to run to. Oddly, while I was doing my leg raises another NIN song, "Closer," played (I just continue the same playlist while I lift).

while I wanted to lift, I really didn't want to push anything too much. I hadn't done a chest/triceps day for around 2 weeks, and have no idea when I had last done decline bench. I usually like that, but today it just never felt comfortable. the other stuff felt fine, oddly the triceps rope pulldowns felt rather strong (especially considering they were last).
    those hanging leg raises felt pretty good too. yea I could have done sets of 12, and I'll probably bump up next time.

Good luck to everyone going to Nationals! I'm sure we'll see many records broken.
  13. Friday 04202012, AM Swim & PM Gym

by , April 21st, 2012 at 01:36 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    Paul was on deck coaching (Laura had a group in the small pool SCY)

got in 200 w/u

IM progression, each 50 @ 1:10:
    1 x 50 fly (did drill)
    2 x 50 back
    3 x 50 breast
    4 x 50 free
    100 kick (used just board)

100 fast (1:20ish)
    300 fast, close to each other (drafting)
    100 kick (used board + fins)

100 fast (1:19)
    300 fast, more drafting
    100 easy kick
    100 easy swim

here we split the lanes in half, with 2 going to each side...
    600 team pursuit, trying to catch the other half of the lane, changing position every 100 (with fins)
    200 easy kick

100 FAST from blocks for time (1:16)

200 w/d

TTL: 2900m

this was definitely a different kind of workout.

in addition to what I typed above, Paul wanted us to switch positions (first-->last, last-->first) for each set. since I went 3rd (we started with 5 in the lane), it didn't really matter

the split team pursuit was kinda fun, only the other team in our lane didn't play by the rules, they didn't swap out every 100. the faster guy was at least 25m ahead of the other when he caught the gal I was swimming with.

was really surprised to get a 100 off the blocks. I hadn't done a block start for a while...we hadn't had blocks in while all the synchro stuff was going on.

had an exceptionally busy day at work. my company's CEO was in town for a town hall meeting in downtown Phoenix, so I went to that. the people planning it were short staffed with helpers, so I ended up manning a door. it wasn't too bad, I got to see many people I hadn't seen in a while.
    it was interesting how some people were dressed. as listed on the invite, business attire was requested. I don't know where shorts, sneakers, sandals, and the like fit into business attire... heck even I wore a suit.
    after popping in Tempe for a haircut on my way to the office, I had a firedrill from my boss to take care of much of the remainder of the day.

after work I managed to find my way to the gym. for some reason I couldn't find it for at least the last week...
    went to the 24 Hour Fitness @ Dobson/8th St in Mesa:

Tmill: 21 min, 263 cal, 2.3 miles
    2 min warmup
    Jog at 6.7, build to 7.6 mph
    1 min warmdown

Side plank: 2:40, done as twice right/left @ :40 each

Pullups: 4 x 8, holding legs horizontal for 5 sec after each

Biceps preacher curls: 1 x 15 x 75, 2 x 12 x 85, 2 x 8 x 95

Hammer strength high row: 1 x 20 x 90, 2 x 12 x 180, 2 x 8 x 230

Biceps single arm standing dumbbell hammer curls: 2 x 12 x 37.5's, 2 x 8 x 42.5's

along with no gym in a while, I hadn't run in over 2 weeks. I really wasn't wanting to do it, but figured if I didn't today, it would be even more difficult the next time I try. last year at this time I was running like crazy...

otherwise, I used to prefer my chest/triceps day at the gym, but my back/biceps day has really grown on me. I felt super fresh (of course since I hadn't lifted for a while), and felt like I could have done much more of everything. of course I'll probably really feel this in 2 days.

after all that, I went in the gym pool for an easy 300 SCM warmdown (I didn't even attempt anything near fast or race pace).

I was reviewing my training calendar, and my last day off with no exercise was Wednesday March 7. I think this is the longest I've gone with doing something every day. well that's going to change...I'm giving myself a day off tomorrow. just a walk with Holly, usual cleaning, weekly ironing, church, dinner, and errands.
    then Sunday is going to be a big training day. I'm meeting a friend at Saguaro Lake early Sunday morning. I wanted to do a bike-swim, but he's training for Ironman AZ so wants to do a swim-bike to practice, and I think we'll end up with a swim-bike-swim. I may take some running stuff and even do a swim-bike-run-swim if I'm feeling good, and my legs aren't trashed enough from biking (there will be some major hills, with names like Godzilla and King Kong).
    water temp there is around 75 now, which should be about perfect!

oh and for the first time in almost 3 months, today when I entered my swimming distance in my flog, I finally had good news:
    Goal: 152.05 miles
    Actual: 152.43 miles
    that will go negative tomorrow, and I'm not sure how much I'll get in Sunday (at most 4 miles). but hopefully I'll build up a little kitty next week.
  14. Wednesday 04112012 LCM Swim + weights

by , April 12th, 2012 at 01:00 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    I remembered the change in swim this morning
    went to Mesa-Skyline for the AM master swim workout
    Paul was coaching solo

got in 200 w/u

100 for time (1:16)
    300 easy
    2 x 100 @ 1:40
    300 easy
    3 x 100 @ 1:40
    300 easy
    4 x 100 @ 1:40
    300 easy

w/fins + paddles:
    5 x 100 @ 1:40
    300 easy

w/fins only:
    100 kick for time

200 w/d

we had a nice crowd, I think 5 in my lane for the majority of the set. I varied my position in the lane, started out first, but quickly dropped to 2nd, 3rd, 4th, then picked back up to 2nd at the end

so either I misunderstood the first 100 or others slacked. I went out way too fast (95+%), raced people in other lanes. after that, it took me until the 3 x 100s (or more) to recover

had a guy in the lane who wore paddles nearly the whole set. he was going behind me, and Paul told us to go 10 apart (with just 5 and LCM it makes sense). I'd swear he wasn't going 10 back, he was catching me at the wall. eventually I told him to go ahead, he did for a bit, but then did something else.

for the 100 kick, I put on fins and just kicked on my back. the sun was up and it felt really nice. I think my time was 1:25ish, but I'm not certain.

I really debated going to the gym today, but I ended up going to the 24 Hour Fitness @ Mesa-Riverview:

Plank w forearms on green Swiss ball: 2 x 1 min
    Side plank: 4 x 40 sec, 2 each left/right

Pullups: 3 x 8 + 5 sec horizontal legs at end of each round

Hammer strength biceps curl: 1 x 15 x 45, 1 x 12 x 70, 1 x 10 x 80, 2 x 8 x 95

Hammer strength front lat pulldowns: 1 x 15 x 90, 1 x 12 x 140, 2 x 8 x 190

Standing biceps hammer curls: 2 x 12 x 35's, 2 x 8 x 45's

Univ machine seated row (wide bar): 2 x 12 x 90, 2 x 10 x 120, 1 x 8 x 135

it was mostly a normal weights set, minus the treadmill warm-up.
    I did cut a little out, but not too much.

I liked the seated row with the wide bar. it was just chance...I couldn't find the narrow grip thing, but there was the bar there so thought I'd give it a shot. after doing it, I thought it would probably be helpful for biking

gym was super busy, there was a line of people waiting for treadmills, so it was just as well I didn't want to do it.
  15. Friday 04062012 workouts

by , April 7th, 2012 at 01:25 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    had a choice of water polo with Paul, or swim with Laura, I went with Laura's group

400 w/u choice

2 x (100 easy @ 1:30
    4 x 25 build @ :30)

4 x 75 @ 1:30
    done as 25 4 beat/6 beat/8 beat kick

8 x 50 @ 1:10, from mid-pool
    focus on turns

200 FAST (not so much...2:30)

200 easy
    4 x 25 build @ :30

100 FAST (breast, 1:23)

200 easy
    4 x 25 build @ :30

50 FAST (breast, :38)

100 easy

choice FAST swim (I selected 100 IM, 1:21)

200 w/d

TTL: 2850 yards

just wasn't feeling it for that 200. I kept my drag suit on, so I could use that as an excuse...but even so I was a good 6-7 sec slower than normal. maybe I should have done a 200 breast.

but I actually felt decent for the 100 breast, and 50 also. heck, even the 100 IM was a decent time for me.

the pool was pretty full...Laura's group swimming, some synchro gals next to us, then Paul's water polo group on the other side of the bulkhead, sharing the diving well with the Navy seal trainees.

after work I went over to the 24 Hour Fitness @ Mesa Riverview and did the following--

Tmill: 22 min, 281 cal, 2.46 miles, avg 6.7 mph
    2 min warmup
    Jog from 6.7 mph to 7.8 mph
    1 min warmdown

Planks w forearms on roller: 2 x 2 min (new PR)
    Side planks: 2 x (right + left) @ :40

Incline bench: 1 x 15 x 95, 2 x 10 x 135, 2 x 6 x 155

Standing single arm triceps dumbbell curls: 1 x 15 x 25, 2 x 12 x 27.5, 2 x 9 x 30

Dumbbell chest fly: 1 x 15 x 45's, 1 x 12 x 55's, 2 x 8 x 65's

Hoist roc it seated dip: 1 x 15 x 121, 2 x 12 x 151, 2 x 9 x 165

Leg raises hanging from Pullup bars: 3 x 10

walking into the gym, my legs felt really tired and I debated if I wanted to run at all. but I didn't think I wanted to do the elliptical either. the run ended up not bad at all, after a few minutes the soreness of my legs wore off.

thought I'd try more for planks with forearms on the roller. the 2 min wasn't bad on the first, but on the second the last 15-20 sec were really tough.

I hadn't done hanging leg raises for a while, and I really felt it today.

after the gym, I changed and did a short mostly recovery swim--

400 very gradual build

2 x (50 breast @ :90%, easy 50 free)

100 easy

TTL: 700 SCM

even though my breast this morning felt good, after running and lifting I wasn't nearly as snappy.
  16. Wednesday 04042012 workouts

by , April 5th, 2012 at 01:31 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    swam with Paul's group

got in 200 w/u choice

round 1 (all with fins)
    1000, done as 25 streamline underwater kick/175 swim

8 x 50 @ 1:10 (all breath control)
    odds: 25 swim/25 underwater
    evens: 25 underwater/25 swim

8 x 25 @ :30 IM Order, 2 each
    (yes I actually did 2 x 25 fly, with fins)

round 2:
    1000 pull, done as 25 breast/175 swim

8 x 50 @ 1:00, IM Order, 2 each w/Tennessee turns
    (this time I just did 1-arm fly drills, but all other strokes w/TN turns)

8 x 25 @ :15 rest, all with paddles upside-down
    odds: scull
    evens: breast

200 w/d

TTL: 3600 yards

this set was a bit unexpected, but I certainly didn't complain. was much more of a recovery-type set than the short-rest sets we typically do on Wednesdays.
    a gal and I chatted before workout about recovery from a meet...I told her that it takes me much longer to recover from running a marathon than a swim meet. but I guess it really depends on how much tapering is done. I despise tapering, for swimming at least.

anyway, I really hated the entire first round. I just don't care for so much fin and kicking work, but I trudged through it.

conversely, I really liked the pull stuff
    I've found that breast pulling really helps my arms for breast, especially for the 200. doing the paddles upside down forces your hands to be in perfect position.
    sculling with upside down paddles was tough! especially sculling feet first on my back, I could really feel it in my abs.

after workout, Paul told us that Friday would be a water polo day for his group, and Laura will still have a mostly normal workout. I haven't played water polo since college, when I was on the team. not sure which I'll do.

then next week, syncho swim nationals are at Kino, so some of our workouts will be shifted over to Skyline. still a fantastic pool, and similar distance from home.

after a Toastmasters meeting at a Chandler site, I just went to the Chandler 24 Hour Fitness:

Tmill: 20 min, 247 cal, 2.17 miles, avg 6.5 mph
    2 min warmup
    Casual jog, 6.7 to 7.4 mph
    1 min warmdown

Plank w forearms on roller: 2 x 1:40
    Side plank: 2 x (right + left) @ 40 sec each

Pullups: 4 x 8 w/5 sec vertical on last of each round

Biceps preacher curls: 2 x 15 x 75, 2 x 10 x 90, 2 x 8 x 100

Hammer strength front lat pulldowns: 1 x 15 x 90, 2 x 12 x 140, 2 x 8 x 190

Precor rear delt: 1 x 15 x 60, 1 x 12 x 80, 2 x 10 x 90

Precor single arm biceps curl: 1 x 15 x 35, 1 x 12 x 40, 1 x 10 x 45

supposed to meet someone tomorrow morning to run at Hamilton HS's track, then swim. so I debated on running at all, but decided to just do ~2 miles tonight and not push speed at all.

I really don't like that they keep this gym so much warmer than Mesa. my shirt was entirely drenched after just 2 miles, I can't imagine doing 10. thankfully I change it before weights, but still got tons more sweat on it.

anyway, I felt pretty decent for pullups, weights, and leg raises. gym wasn't too busy, and I mostly did what I wanted, when I wanted.
  17. Monday 04022012 workouts

by , April 3rd, 2012 at 01:30 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    went with Paul's group (only 5 of us in his group today)

got in 200 w/u choice

600 done as 25 scull/75 swim

4 x 75 kick @ 1:15, used fins + board

600 done as 25 stroke/75 free (I did breast)

8 x 75 @ 1:15 pull
    1 to 4: right paddle only
    5 to 8: left paddle only
    both: keep a low stroke count (mostly 12)

600 pull w/buoy + paddles, hold stroke count from the 75s (holding 12 was tough) + descend by 200s

12 x 75
    odds: swim @ 1:05
    evens: kick @ 1:20 (did mostly breast, no board)

100 easy w/d

TTL: 3900 yards

I guess it wasn't too busy because some of the people who swam in the meet took off today.
    water felt really nice!
    was a nice recoverish type set, and I liked it

after work I went over to the 24 Hour Fitness @ Mesa Riverview and did the following:

Tmill: 22 min, 272 cal, 2.41 miles, avg 6.6 mph
    3 min warmup
    Gentle jog, 6.8 mph to 7.6 mph
    1 min warmdown

Plank w forearms on roller: 2 x 90 sec
    Side planks: 2 x right + left @ 40 each

Bench: 3 x 10 x 135, 2 x 8 x 155

Triceps skull crushers, flat bench: 3 x 10 x 75 + 5

Star trak pec fly: 1 x 15 x 105, 1 x 12 x 165, 1 x 10 x 180, 2 x 8 x 195

Univ machine triceps pulldowns w bar: 1 x 15 x 50, 1 x 12 x 60, 1 x 10 x 70, 1 x 6 x 80

I'm still debating if I'm going to do a triathlon in mid-May; it has a 10k run. I'm sure I could do that if I wanted to, the question is do I want to... funny, 3 months ago, I would have thought I'd struggle with the bike leg, now it would definitely be the run leg.
    last night I was looking up my YTD mileage, and I have a paltry ~40 miles YTD of running. so I need to do something. just don't have much desire to though.

after that, the stretching area seemed super busy while I was rolling and doing planks.

I was just going to do 4 sets of bench, but after the 3rd a guy came and asked if he could work in. I'll never turn down an extra couple sets with a spot! although it was more than I planned, and I was pretty fried for the rest of my set.
    well not quite the rest. but after that, then skull crushers...I had very little left.

I really wanted to do more leg raises from the pullup bars, but there was no way I was even going to try that after my chest and arms were so fried. the captain's chair was plenty of a challenge!
  18. weekend and 03262012 workouts

by , March 27th, 2012 at 02:02 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    it was a dry weekend, but I did a few rides:

South Chandler short loop 19.32 mi 01:07 17.3mph pace

Had about an hour to get in a ride, so went out for my short loop version. Weather is pretty good, sunny, mid-80s, but rather hazy with some winds. Ride was pretty well. I was wearing my PA jersey, and while stopped at the light at Dobson/Queen Creek a guy pulled up, rolled down his window and asked if I was a Steelers fan. I told him I was from the other side of the state
    Distance: 19.32 mi
    Time: 1:07:07
    Avg Speed: 17.3 mph
    Elevation Gain: 65 ft
    Calories: 1,092 C
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/161132461

then a fairly long ride on Sunday:
    Chandler to Maricopa to Wild Horse Pass 58.83 mi 03:20 17.6mph pace

My longest ride that I know of. Carl C K. met me at home and we rode out Queen Creek Rd/Maricopa Rd to the town of Maricopa...my first ride outside of the county I live in. Then we decided we'd stop at the Wild Horse Pass resort on the way back. Not too bad of a ride, but it was getting a bit windy on the way back, and my legs were definitely feeling the mileage.
    Distance: 58.83 mi
    Time: 3:20:53
    Avg Speed: 17.6 mph
    Elevation Gain: 173 ft
    Calories: 3,498 C
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/161476492

after riding, Carl then went for a ~4 mile run along the canal near home. I actually was thinking about it, but when we were leaving the Sheraton Wild Horse Pass I realized how suicidal that would be, so I told him I'd pass.
    I did however take Holly for a ~2 mile very casual walk.
    during the afternoon, I went over to my bike shop...looked at a few bikes, and of course found yet another that I want now. was mulling over that for a while, debating what I want to do.
    I didn't swim last night, which was a mistake. actually, I have a foam roller at home that I really need to use
    (note for anyone reading this--who wants to send me annoying texts on Saturday to remind me to use the foam roller?)

this morning I went to Mesa-Kino for the AM masters swim workout
    I was with Laura's group

got in 400 w/u

16 x 100 @ 1:45, done:
    --1 to 4: 25 swim/25 kick/25 drill/25 swim
    --5 to 8: descend 1-4
    --9 to 12: stroke (I mixed in some breast)
    --13 to 16: descend 1-4 (think got to ~1:09 on the last)

400 pull-recovery

8 x 200 @ 3:00, done:
    --odds: with a fast 50 moving through as 1st/2nd/3rd/4th
    --evens: descend 1-4 (my last was 2:29)

200 w/d

TTL: 4200 yards

I was in a very sour mood for much of the set, but it is really tough being that way with Laura on deck.
    along with being super sore, stressing over the bike, while I was walking from my car to pool the strap on my bag snapped. then during w/u I was coming in to turn and a gal dove in right next to me and scared the cr*p out of me. so I was in a choice mood.

other than that, my quads were screaming at me for the first ~1000 yards. breaststroke felt horrible...but I pressed on and just did 25/50/75, then the full 100 breast on the last, and started to feel ok. then by those last 100s free I started to feel human again.

that said, Laura did a good job of trying to keep me engaged. she was smiling, running around with her watch, and asking me about Holly

a couple weeks ago, the AZ LMSC newsletter had something about them needing a new Sanctions Chair. I replied and asked what it entailed and the time commitment. Finally today I heard back and it sounds like it isn't too extreme. so I'll probably do it. it doesn't sound like there's a huge line of people wanting to...

at the suggestion of several people on a bike forum, I called my bike shop to see about taking a bike out for a real ride. then I finally found out that they rent souped-up bikes...if you buy in 30 days the rental fee gets credited to your purchase. so I'll be renting a Specialized Roubaix on Friday, and testing it out for my metric century ride on Saturday. everyone seems to think regardless of if I like the bike, I'll like it more than my current cyclocross bike. then I'll probably drop it off Sunday (another ride Sun morning) and pick up a Tarmac and see how I like that. they're both good bikes, similar price, and I'm not quite sure which I'll like more...

anyway after work I went to the 24 Hour Fitness @ Mesa-Riverview and did:

Tmill: 13 min, 146.8 cal, 1.31 miles, 6.1 mph

Side planks: 2 x left + right @ 40 sec each
    Various stretching mixed in w planks

Pullups: 4 x 8 + 5 sec horizontal legs on last

Biceps preacher curls: 2 x 12 x 80, 1 x 10 x 90, 2 x 6 x 100

Hammer strength high row: 1 x 15 x 90, 1 x 12 x 180, 2 x 8 x 270, 1 x 12 x 180

Standing biceps dumbbell curls: 1 x 12 x 35's, 2 x 8 x 45's

I was going to muddle through the treadmill...my quads were still quite sore. then around my 11 min mark, Sean jumped on the tmill next to me and started chatting. I figured that was a sign that enough was enough and I gave in...walked for a good 2 min.
    the foam roller hurt but was such a necessary evil. I really wish I had done it yesterday.

so while I was doing my pullups, I noticed another guy doing them at the same time. he must have done an extra set or something...
    when I was doing preacher curls, that same guy came over and asked if I was almost done. I had just done 1 set...and I told him he could work in and he did.
    for any Seinfeld fans out there, I felt like George in, the "forbidden city" the way he knew all these other people and was introducing me to them all.
    anyway, he was surprised that I could curl more than him (he only did 4 reps on the 2nd round of 100#). he asked me how old I was and how long I've been lifting. I certainly don't have huge arms, so people are usually surprised that I can curl that much.

after we finished there, I wandered over to the HS back machines...and there was that same guy. so we worked together for the high row also. he did 2 sets with 4 plates on each side (360#, which I told him is over twice what I weigh). I hit a PR with 270 (I declined to even attempt it @ 360).

amazing how a lackluster workout (and day for that matter) can turn itself around. yea I guarantee I'll be sore tomorrow and/or Wed, but in a good way.

Updated March 27th, 2012 at 02:18 AM by aztimm

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Cycling
  19. Friday 03232012 workouts

by , March 24th, 2012 at 01:47 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    before I get into today, I did a late day spin on my bike yesterday--
    South Chandler big loop 30.2 mi 01:45 17.2mph pace

Got out for a little late day spin on the bike. Weather was nearly perfect, about 80F, sunny, with some light winds to help keep me cool. Did about the same loop I've done for the past few Thursdays and felt pretty good. My legs were still feeling Tuesday's spin, but need to push just a little more.
    Distance: 30.20 mi
    Time: 1:45:20
    Avg Speed: 17.2 mph
    Elevation Gain: 67 ft
    Calories: 1,740 C
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/160540363

went to Kino for today's AM masters swim workout
    I went with Laura's group

500 w/u

4 x 125 @ :20 rest, 25 scull/50 kick/50 swim
    10 x 50 kick @ 1:00
    50 easy
    10 x 25 kick, 2 each of 2/4/6/8/10 beat kick
    (that 10 beat kick is tough!)

50 easy

main set--3 FAST choice swims

#1: 200 free (2:24, ugh )
    300 easy swim down

#2: 100 breast (1:24.6, meh)
    300 easy swim down

#3: 100 IM (1:19)

300 w/d

TTL: 3150 yards

Today is Laura's birthday!!!! she doesn't look a day over 21.

I have no idea what Paul's group was doing, but I was quite happy I went with Laura's group.

the kick set playing with different patterns was pretty interesting. I'd guess I normally use a 4 or 6 beat kick (Laura said hers is 5 and mine may be too). the 10 beat kick really takes a bit out of you...and a 50 easy wasn't really enough for my legs to recover (well my legs probably weren't recovered from my ride yesterday either).

finally I got in a 100 IM; my challenge is back! it will be a little tougher to make 100 this year, but I'll try for it.
    there weren't any blocks out, so all the swims were from a push. I would have certainly liked to do the IM from a block...anything to avoid actually swimming fly is a plus in my book.

after work I went to the 24 Hour Fitness @ Mesa-Riverview--

Tmill: 25 min, 324 cal, 2.84 miles, avg 6.8 mph
    2 min warmup
    22 min jog, 6.7 to 7.9 mph
    1 min warmdown

Side planks: 2 x 35 sec of each right + left

Decline bench: 2 x 12 x 135, 2 x 8 x 155

Universal machine triceps rope pulldowns: 1 x 12 x 50, 1 x 10 x 60, 2 x 8 x 70

Free motion dual cable cross chest fly: 1 x 15 x 70, 1 x 12 x 80, 2 x 10 x 90, 2 x 8 x 95

Standing triceps dumbbell curls: 2 x 10 x 27.5, 2 x 10 x 30

Leg raises from Pullup bar: 3 x 9

funny, I really didn't feel like running, but once I started I got right into it. I hardly wear my Pegasus shoes (have only 1 pair and a bunch of Lunar Glide), but today my Pegas really felt great! Makes me want to get another pair...if I were running enough to need another pair of shoes.

the weights felt ok... I wasn't feeling too hot on the decline bench, and my triceps pulldowns felt forced. but when I moved to the flys suddenly I had some energy.
    decided to try a few more of those hanging leg raises...and felt ok. I'm trying to get down from the bars as gracefully as possible, to avoid jumping.

after weights, I did a quick swim--

250 w/u, right into
    250 done 25 breast/25 free (building the breast)
    100 easy
    TTL: 600 SCM
  20. Wednesday 03212012 workouts

by , March 22nd, 2012 at 01:26 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    went to the AM workout at Kino

400 w/u
    8 x 50 @ :45

3 x 150 @ 2:20/2:10/2:10
    500 swim
    4 x 50 @ :45

3 x 150 @ 2:20/2:10/2:05
    400 swim
    4 x 50 stroke @ :55 (did breast)

next round was supposed to be fins + paddles, I did paddles + buoy
    3 x 150 @ 2:20/2:10/2:00
    300 swim, 25 breast/75 free
    4 x 50 @ :40

300 w/d

TTL: 4250 yards

I got there and was headed over to Laura's group when Paul stopped me and told me I should swim with his group. I had no idea what I was getting into... A guy who did Laura's workout said he did 5 x 200 breast @ 4:00.

don't know why, but the past few Wednesdays I've been really tired for swim workout. I lift Monday night, spin Tuesday night (plus Tues AM swim), and I'm totally fried for swim workout Wed. I remember back when I still swam with the ASU masters group how I'd knock out 150s on 2:00, and hold under 1:50.

the odd thing was...some tri guys in the next lane were talking about a T60, and it got me all wanting to do that. I've only done one, and it was over 2 years ago.

I didn't even think about the distance, and was really surprised when I got to work and added it up.

after this, I finally am over 100 miles for the year. and I'm only 8.5 miles behind my GTD goal pace. I'll probably catch up in the next 2-3 weeks.

had another Toastmasters meeting today. I was out of town when the last happened. today was my self introduction, and I think it went ok. since I was already in Chandler, I just went to the gym there.

PM gym workout--

Tmill: 20 min, 251 cal, 2.2 miles, avg 6.6 mph
    2 min warmup
    Jog to ~2 miles
    1 min warmdown

Side planks: 2 x left and right x 35 sec

Pullups: 4 x 8

Biceps preacher curls: 2 x 12 x 80, 2 x 10 x 90, 1 x 6 x 95

Hammer strength high row: 1 x 15 x 90, 2 x 12 x 180, 2 x 8 x 230

Life fitness biceps curl machine, single arm: 1 x 12 x 30, 1 x 10 x 40, 1 x 10 x 50, 1 x 8 x 65

Precor rear delt machine: 1 x 15 x 60, 1 x 12 x 80, 2 x 9 x 100

while it was much more convenient, the gym in Chandler just isn't as nice as the one in Mesa. it was definitely warm...I was sweating quite a bit before I ran even 1 mile, and by the time I finished I was dripping all over the place.
    but it wasn't quite as crowded, and I got in everything I intended to.
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast