View RSS Feed

Running

Primarily a running workout

1. Wednesday 09052012 workouts

by , September 6th, 2012 at 01:18 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    went up to Mesa-Kino for the AM masters swim workout
    we were in the main pool (SCY)
    Dan coached solo

got in 800 w/u

main sets:

6 x 100 @ 1:25
    3 x 200 @ 2:40
    600, stop for :15 at the 300, neg split, @ 8:30
    3 x 200 @ 2:30
    6 x 100 @ 1:20
    600 FAST (7:53)

200 w/d

TTL: 4600 yards

these Wednesday workouts are really piling on the yardage while pushing the envelope with short rest. actually that 1:25 interval at the beginning felt rather luxurious, we could have easily gone on 1:20 (but I'm not sure about 1:15 at the end).

I have no idea what happened to my lane. I dove in with one gal, another came. then Gia showed up and joined us, then someone else. somewhere between warm-up and when we started, the first two moved elsewhere.
    Gia and the other gal rotated off leading and I held the rear, enjoying a little draft (neither gave that much though, certainly not like going after Dan).

there was very little rest during the set. pretty much right from one part to the other. it certainly made it go by faster. and thankfully I didn't need to keep track of my sendoffs

had a day full of meetings. by the time I chatted with my manager at 2pm, I told him this was our 3rd time talking today.
    but I did make it to Toastmasters I was the Table Topic Master for today, my first time, and I actually enjoyed it. it is far easier to ask others on the spot questions than sweat through if I'll be asked and if so thinking up an answer.

after all that, I managed to stop by the Chandler 24 Hour Fitness for a very sweaty workout:

Tmill: 27 min, 373 cal, 3.27 miles, avg 7.2 mph
    2 min warmup
    Jump to 7.1 mph, increase to 8.2 mph
    1 min warmdown
    Splits: 8:58, 17:02, didn't get 3rd

Leg rolling: 5 min
    Plank w forearms on roller: 2 x 1:30
    Side plank: 3 min done as 2 x (45 sec right/45 sec left)
    Various stretches, plank, pushups

Pullups: 3 x 9 + 5 sec horiz legs after each round

Standing univ machine biceps curls: 1 x 15 x 80, 2 x 12 x 120, 2 x 10 x 130, 1 x 8 x 140

Univ machine seated front lat pulldowns: 1 x 15 x 90, 2 x 12 x 135, 1 x 8 x 150

Univ machine seated rows: 1 x 15 x 90, 2 x 10 x 135

Leg raises on captain's chair: 3 x 15

the gym wasn't too crowded, but of course when I was running the treadmills were about 80% occupied. I had people on both sides, and it was very very warm. I was dripping well before the first mile and completely drenched by the time I finished.
    I was so wet that when I was using the foam roller, it slid around on my legs. my arms were so wet that I made sweat puddles all over the stretching pad.

otherwise, the Universal machine was dead, I think I was the only one using it...for pullups, biceps curls, lat pulldowns, and rows. all of them felt pretty decent.
  2. Labor Day workouts, 09032012

by , September 3rd, 2012 at 01:37 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    since swim workout had a rather late 7am start time, I figured I could get in a little run before I went up to Kino--

Paseo Trail, Los Arboles & Cooper Rd 5.01 mi 00:42 08:23 pace

Did a little outside run early this morning. Started off with Holly (the dog), took her down to Los Arboles park, stopped for a water break, then back home. Dropped her off (made sure she had plenty of water), then went back out to the trail and took it up to Cooper/Chandler Blvd. Splits: 8:39, 8:34, 8:31, 8:23, 8:03.
    http://app.strava.com/runs/20710143

I never know how Holly is going to do with running, but I figured 2 miles was a safe bet. She was pretty strong all the way to the park, and oddly when we got there I felt like maybe 2 would be it, I was completely drenched.
    on the way back she was just beginning to fade...when we went under the freeway she was behind me, but then picked it up when we crossed the canal, as she knew she was going home.
    I didn't know how much I'd do when I went back out, but I really got into a nice groove and felt like I could have gone a while. But since I haven't been running much lately, didn't want to push it too much.

I had a little time to relax before heading up to swim workout
    went to Mesa-Kino for the only swim workout today (7am)
    Jack coached (along with coaching the kids)

got in 200 open w/u

12 x 50 @ :50

200 choice

12 x 100, done as 4 rounds--
    * free @ 1:20
    * IM @ 1:40
    * kick @ 2:00
    (it took me a while to figure out what was going on...)

200 choice

12 x 50, similar pattern, 4 rounds--
    * free @ :40
    * IMO @ :50
    * kick @ 1:00

200 choice

12 x 25, same pattern, 4 rounds--
    * free @ :25
    * IMO @ :30
    * kick @ :35

200 choice

800 pull, long and stretch out
    I did this as 4 rounds--
    * 75 free
    * 25 back
    * 75 free
    * 25 breast

200 w/d

TTL: 4700 yards

not quite the beat-down I was expecting, but I'm certainly not complaining

I don't know if I've ever run then tried to do a real swim workout like this. yea I've done tmill runs at the gym and solo swims, but that isn't nearly the same. when I first dove in, my legs felt like they had cement blocks on them. I'm sure my ride yesterday had something to do with it also.

that said, I wore fins for all of the main sets. I was able to work the swims that way, and my legs eventually came to life and responded.

several people got out and skipped that pull set. but I really needed some more easy swimming. but the thought of an 800 pull wasn't pleasing, so I mixed in that stroke, more to keep track of where I was, but also just to mix things up.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Running
  3. Friday 08312012 workouts

by , September 1st, 2012 at 01:43 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    Laura coached (Paul was with the water polo group)

got in 300 during open warm-up

4 x 100 @ 1:40--no walls (turn just before walls)

6 x 50 @ 1:00, from mid pool

6 x 75 kick @ 1:30, w/board + find
    build to 100%

12 x 50 @ 1:00, 25 drill (various), 25 build

12 x 25 @ :30--
    * 4 dps
    * 4 w/8 strokes fast fist
    * 4 overkick

4 x 25 variables @ :30

5 x 50 FAST from blocks
    --did 1, 2, and 5 free (29, 27, 28)
    --did 3 breast (37)
    --did 4 fly/free (32, yea I chickened out from a 50 fly)
    (there were 200 yards easy mixed in there)

200 w/d

TTL: 3100 yards

this was a very interesting set. for some reason, my legs were really fried, I guess from my ride yesterday.

it was interesting doing no walls, then doing 50s from mid-pool. total opposites. Laura said that missing the wall ('cheating') is a good practice for o/w swimming, and I believe her. I always say my turns aren't very good, but they're better than none at all.

we did the fast 50s in 2 heats, with an easy 50 after the second heat.
    after the first, Laura had everyone get out and stand on deck to practice streamlining. between that, and trying to pace off of Shauna (who was in the next lane), I somehow did a 27, which is awesome for me.
    I was going to do a 25 fly/25 back, but then I remembered that the backstroke flags weren't up, and my bashed hand from last week is finally almost healed. I was going to do a 50 fly at the end, but then Laura lined us up for racing...so I figured I should do free.

according to my FLOG, I swam 54.53 miles in August. I think that might be a record.
    biking for August was 681.6 miles, and that is a record. almost mind-blowing when I think how much I was riding just 3-4 months ago.
    I ran 37 miles in Aug, which is the highest since Nov 2011 (when I ran 94 miles, but that doesn't even come close to Aug-Sep 2011 when I ran 150+).

after work, I went over to the 24 Hour Fitness @ Mesa Riverview:

Tmiill: 28 min, 391 cal, 3.42 miles, avg 7.3 mph
    2 min warmup
    Start at 7.0 mph, increase to 8.5
    1 min warmdown
    Splits: 9, 17:07, 24:42

Plank w forearms on green Swiss ball: 2 x 1:30
    Side plank: 3 min, done as 2 x (45 sec right/45 sec left)
    Various stretches, 10 pushups, etc

Bench: 3 x 10 x 135, 1 x 5 x 155

Triceps skull crushers: 3 x 12 x 65 + 6 narrow chest presses after each round

Freemotion dual cable cross chest fly: 1 x 15 x 70, 1 x 12 x 80, 2 x 10 x 90, 1 x 8 x 95

Lifefitness triceps extension: 1 x 15 x 65, 2 x 10 x 110

Leg raises on pullup bars: 3 x 8

Swim: 400m, nice and easy, enjoying the cool (dare I say almost chilly?) water in the indoor pool

my headphones were really messing up while I was on the treadmill, it was very frustrating. I had some great music, but evidently I need to break down and use a new pair. after I did my planks and stuff, when I did my usual shirt change, I grabbed my backup headphones (they're really old), which worked out far better.

I felt super weak benching. actually on the 2nd, when I first lifted the bar, both wrists turned in, and I almost thought I was a gonner. thankfully I recovered, but it was a mediocre set, at best.
    the skull crushers were decent enough though.
    and the flys were better than normal.

not sure what I was thinking, but I just jumped up to do those leg raises...and probably could have done more. maybe I'll try 10 per set next time.

after I left the gym, I went to the nearby Rubio's to pickup fish tacos for dinner. a bunch of the muscle heads from the gym were there, they seemed as surprised to see me as I was to see them. I did say Hey, I've talked to a couple of them.

Updated September 1st, 2012 at 02:15 AM by aztimm

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Running
  4. Wednesday 08292012 workouts

by , August 30th, 2012 at 01:20 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    Paul coached solo

got in 100 w/u (was almost late)

400, done as 75 swim/25 kick
    4 x 100 IM @ 1:40 (did fly drill)
    400 pull (w/buoy + paddles)
    8 x 50 @ :40 (my lane pulled it)
    50 easy kick

main set, 3 rounds of:
    3 x 100 @ 1:15
    1 x 50 @ 1:15
    300 @ 3:45
    50 @ 1:15

100 easy kick

200 w/d

TTL: 4150 yards

I lucked out and got there just as Dan and Gia (who I swam with last Wed) were getting in a lane, so we all swam together again. I told Dan afterward that he has to swim more than once a week so I can swim with him more

I don't know if there were intervals for that beginning stuff, or what they were. I felt like I barely got a chance to catch my breath, and that was just a prelude of what was to come...

my lane did the first round of the main set pulling, so I did too. but the thought of pulling all 2100 yards didn't sound appealing, so I thought I'd see how I fared without. since I was going 3rd/last in the lane, I got some draft, and it wasn't too bad. I got about 3-4 sec rest on the 100s, and it was mostly touch + go after the 300s.

at some point early in the set, I heard this exchange from the lane next to me (not the faster one):
    A: you know I'm back here behind you?
    B: yes, I can feel you brushing my feet
    A: that means move your ass
    B decided to continue going 2nd (we were doing the same set together, but I was catching/passing him when I went 5 sec back). next thing I looked over and A was ahead of B.

then further in the set, after a 50 of the main set, I commented to Gia:
    T: this is a tough set
    G: it must not be that bad, you seem to be catching me
    T: (almost bursts out laughing, wants to use what A did above)

I discovered it is tough swimming while you're laughing
    I guess you had to be there...

I was planning on going to the gym after work, then suddenly at 4pm I got an email with something I really needed to take action on immediately. I moved my butt so I could keep my plans to go to the gym

went to the 24 Hour Fitness @ Mesa Riverview:

Tmill: 27 min, 372 cal, 3.26 miles, avg 7.2 mph
    2 min warmup
    Jumped to 7.0 mph, increased to 8.3
    1 min warmdown

Biceps preacher curls: 3 x 12 x 90, 2 x 8 x 100

Hammer strength high row: 1 x 15 x 90, 2 x 10 x 180, 2 x 8 x 230

Star trak rear delt: 1 x 15 x 60, 1 x 12 x 75, 1 x 10 x 90, 2 x 9 x 105

Pullups: 3 x 9 + 5 sec horiz legs

I really was shocked how uncrowded the gym really was. with ASU now back in school, and that this gym is so close--and cheap--I figured the students would be out in force.
    there was some boot camp in the stretching area when I got there, but thankfully they were gone by the time I finished my run.

I started to get that same annoying cramp I got the last time I ran at the gym, but I immediately took my inhaler at the first indication, and worked my finger into my abs, and I was able to run through it. eventually it went away, or I just got used to it.

although the gym wasn't busy, the Universal Machine was. maybe guys (it was all guys at it) are afraid to branch out so they just do stuff there. I normally do pullups first, but I knew that wouldn't happen. I didn't expect to do my usual amount after lifting, but I managed.

the preacher curls are a recent best, and a match of pb. I think the rep count at 100# is a pb.
  5. Wednesday 08222012 workouts

by , August 23rd, 2012 at 12:22 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    Paul coached solo

got in 200 w/u (was a little late)

20 x 50 @ :45
    --did every 2 as 25 stroke/25 free, alternating back and breast
    --the others were all free

100 easy kick

2 x 500 @ 6:30 (pulled it)

100 easy kick

15 x 50--
    * 10 @ :45
    * 5 @ :40

50 easy kick

2 x 300 @ :400 (pulled it)

50 easy kick

10 x 50--
    * 5 @ :45
    * 5 @ :35

200 w/d

(got out early, had an early work mtg, had to prepare for it)

TTL: 4550 yards

since I was a little late, and my usual lane already had 3 people in it, I jumped (or dove) into another lane...with Dan and Gia. usually they're both considerably faster than I am, but either they were off today or I wasn't I went 3rd most of the set, but I really kept up with them, or even was too close, for the whole set.

the breaks between sets were quite minimal. seemed we'd finish a set, do that 'easy' kick, then get right into another. I barely had time to hear what the next set even was. I know at some point I told Paul, "we've got to at least be at 3000," and he just said, "there's still more to come."

for the first set of 50s, initially Paul told my lane to do them @ :50. but Dan (leading) heard Paul give the set to the faster lanes. then Dan said, "I think Tim can handle that," so of course I said I could. I was kind of just hanging on, when Paul saw me over a (quick) break. he said, "looks like you're getting too much rest doing these free. work in some stroke." I rolled my eyes at him, but still did it, and it really wasn't bad.

after doing it, I now wish I had tried the 500s, and especially the 300s, without paddles. some days I struggle to do 500s under 7 min, today I think I was around 6:15, with paddles.

the last bit of 50s (for me), I was solo. I don't know if I've ever done 50s @ :35, but I figured I'd try. it wasn't easy, but I barely did it. for some reason, I'd rather do 100s @ 1:10 (on the rare occasion I can make those)

while this was mostly the same set that Patrick posted earlier, with some variations. plus I think he stayed for extra credit

I was leaving work, intending to go to the gym, when I made the mistake of saying goodnight to a co-worker who was still there. she had to vent for a good ~20 min, and by that point, along with it being later, I was just so drained I didn't feel like going to the gym.
    so I went home, but since we're having mild weather (mild being relative for those of you in colder climates), I went outside for a rare evening run along the Paseo Trail:

Paseo trail to Cooper/Chandler 3.05 mi 00:25 08:16 pace

Ended up skipping the gym after work, so I went home and decided to do a short run, outside along the canal. Temp was only in the upper 80s (around 88F), rare for this time of year (it is usually 105+), but it was quite humid. Many others were also out taking advantage of the cooler temps. Splits: 8:24, 8:19, 8:11, not bad for me right now.
    http://app.strava.com/runs/19430540

although it was cooler, it was very humid. but there was a little breeze I felt on the back half, it felt really nice.
    by the time I got home, my shorts (I went shirtless) were so soaked I felt like I was swimming and not running.
    but overall, I much prefer running outside to being stuck inside on the tmill.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Running
  6. Monday 08202012 workouts

by , August 21st, 2012 at 01:43 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    Laura coached solo

got in 300 w/u choice

800, done 50 normal/25 up tempo

8 x 50 @ :45, hold best avg

8 x 25 stroke @ :30, descend 1-4 (did breaststroke)

3 x 200 kick @ 3:30 (used fins on back)

400 swim, done 25 normal/25 up tempo

4 x 100 pull @ 1:40, build each (used my large paddles + buoy)

2 x 200 kick @ 3:30 (used fins on my back)

6 x 25 @ :30, odds stroke (breast), evens free

200 w/d

TTL: 3750 yards

my legs were still quite trashed from my long ride yesterday, and this workout really fit. I treated it mostly as a recovery set. it just seemed that Laura never stopped coming over to give us more. I kept thinking, "it must be getting about time to be done."

I was in my usual lane with the 2 others I'm usually with (a guy and a gal, the 2nd gal wasn't there). the guy was in some sort of mood, kept telling me, "you're going next." if you want me to, that certainly isn't the way to get your wish, but asking might get it. many times I was just coming in from finishing up the prior set, taking off fins, and he'd say that. I have no idea why, as I wasn't anywhere near the others in the lane...
    I ended up just going 10 or even 15 sec behind for most of the sets.

one cool thing about doing that kicking on my back was seeing all the clouds up in the sky. most of the time the sky is clear here, but today there were some puffy clouds, and I kept trying to make out images in them. saw some airplanes passing over here and there too.

after work I went over to the 24 Hour Fitness @ Mesa-Riverview:

Tmill: 16 min, 196 cal, 1.73 miles, avg 6.4 mph
    2 min warmup
    Jumped to 6.8 mph, increased to about 7.2 mph
    Got a cramp, tried walking a min, another jog, no dice
    A min warmdown

Side plank: 3:00, done as 2 x (45 sec right, 45 sec left)
    Bicycles: 2 x 50

Standing univ machine biceps curls: 1 x 15 x 80, 2 x 12 x 120, 1 x 9 x 130

Univ machine front lat pulldowns: 1 x 15 x 90, 2 x 12 x 120, 1 x 9 x 135

Hammer strength seated row: 1 x 15 x 90, 2 x 12 x 160, 1 x 9 x 170

I hadn't gotten a cramp like this while running for a while. actually, I'm usually able to work them out. when it first set in, I took my inhaler (that sometimes helps), but no dice. so I backed off for a walk (around 4.5 to 4.7 mph) for a minute, it died down a bit. but as soon as I tried running again, it was back.
    felt like a left ab was just in a knot, and it didn't want to cooperate with running

otherwise, I felt surprisingly good for the rest of my gym set. maybe in spite of that cramp and the reduced run? I was worried the cramp would resurface, but it died and didn't come back--even while doing some abs stuff.
  7. Friday 08172012 workouts

by , August 18th, 2012 at 01:45 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    it stormed like crazy last night. normally I sleep through anything, but there must have been thunder and hail, because it woke me up around 1am. it was tough getting up to swim...and it was still raining

Laura coached

there was a steady drizzle for the first ~30 min, and the air temp was 74F (I don't think we've seen a temp that cool for months)

got in 400 w/u choice

400 swim, done 75 free/25 stroke
    (I rotate my stroke between back and breast)

10 x 100--
    * 3 @ 1:40
    * 3 @ 1:30
    * 3 @ 1:20
    * 1 fast

200 easy kick (used fins and did on back)

10 x 50--
    * 3 @ 1:00
    * 3 @ :50
    * 3 @ :40
    * 1 fast

200 easy kick (used fins and did on back)

16 x 25--
    * odds @ :20
    * evens @ :30

100 easy

25 FAST from the blocks
    (did fly, I think around 13-14)

25 easy

25 FAST from the blocks
    (did breast, around 15-16)

25 easy

200 w/d

TTL: 3500 yards

it was such a treat to have cooler air temps, and with the aerators running at Kino, the water was a decent temp too. that makes a huge difference.

initially Laura wanted us to do the 100s with the fast @ 1:10. evidently I made a face and/or rolled my eyes (I just assumed that was for the fast lanes), so she changed it. I don't think I would have made 1:10 today; I got about 7 sec rest on the 1:20, and my last fast may have been around 1:10.

the 50s on the other hand, I may have been able to cut 5 sec from the intervals. think I held around 32 on the fast interval, with the last around 30.

right when we were about to do fast 25s, I said, "off the blocks?" the nearest blocks were on the bulkhead (for LCM, but the lanelines were setup SCY), and someone had to say, "I don't think that will work." then I pointed down the pool... so Laura said, "we're taking a field trip," and we moved down to the other side to the blocks.
    when I found out it was just 25s, I figured I might as well do one fly, and I had someone to race. then she also switched to breast for the next and gave me another good race (for a 25).

after work I went over to the 24 Hour Fitness @ Mesa-Riverview:

Tmill: 27 min, 378 cal, 3.28 miles, avg 7.3 mph
    2 min warmup
    Jump to 6.9 mph and increase to 8.2 mph
    1 min warmdown

Side plank: 3 min, done as 2 x 45 sec right/45 sec left

Bench: 1 x 15 x 115, 2 x 9 x 135, 1 x 6 x 155

Standing single arm triceps dumbbell curls: 2 x 12 x 27.5, 2 x 9 x 32.5

Star trak chest fly: 1 x 15 x 150, 2 x 12 x 180, 2 x 9 x 195

Swim 400m

the gym was fairly dead, and I was happy. maybe half the treadmills were being used, so I didn't have anyone next to me. and I mostly had my pick of equipment after.

a guy I know was just in front while I was benching, so I grabbed him to spot my last round. I probably would have been ok, but he didn't mind, and maybe I did 1 or 2 more because he was there.
  8. Wednesday 08152012 workouts

by , August 16th, 2012 at 01:52 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    Paul coached solo

got in 400 w/u

3 x 400 @ 6:00

8 x 50 @ 1:00, odds stroke/evens free (my stroke was breast)

2 x 400 @ 5:20

8 x 50 @ :55, odds stroke/evens free (my stroke was breast)

1 x 400 @ 5:00

8 x 50 @ :50, did 1-2 free, 3-7 25 breast/25 free, #8 breast

200 w/d

TTL: 4200 yards

this was a rather crazy workout. we had 4 in my lane, and I really wasn't feeling it at first so I went 3rd for the first set of 400s, then last for the second set. actually at some point I felt like I was going to get sick.

by the 3rd 400 (first set), I decided enough was enough and I took off my drag suit. that helped a bit, and I finished that one under 5:20.

Paul wanted most of the set to be continuous, but the people in the lane took about a minute or so rest between the different segments.

finally after the 2 x 400, there was just 1 person in the next lane, so I moved over. I did the next 50s with those in the lane I came from, but I went right into the 400, then right into the next set of 50s.
    that last 400 was supposed to be @ 4:40, but I'm not sure I could even do a fast 400 that fast, without something right before or after. heck @ 5:00 was pretty tight for me, and I just did free on 2 50s after that to recover somewhat.

so I thought the set went ok, and I did all my usual stuff after, went to work, ate breakfast, etc. sometime around 9 (workout finished around 6:50), I suddenly felt like I wanted to curl up under my desk and take a nap. if I had been working from home, I probably would have. but in the office...I did consider hiding in the server room for a bit, but eventually that feeling went away.

had an exceptionally busy day at work, with a deadline today. unfortunately (or maybe for the best) I wasn't able to make my Toastmasters meeting. but I did go to the gym after work.

went to the 24 Hour Fitness @ Mesa-Riverview:

Tmill: 28 min, 379 cal, 3.31 miles, avg 7.1 mph
    2 min warmup
    Jump to 6.8 mph, increase to 8.1 mph
    1 min warmdown

Side plank: 3 min done as 2 rounds of 45 sec right/45 sec left

Biceps preacher curls: 2 x 12 x 80, 2 x 10 x 90, 1 x 8 x 100

Hammer strength front lat pulldowns: 1 x 15 x 90, 1 x 12 x 140, 2 x 8 x 190

Star trak rear delt: 1 x 15 x 60, 1 x 12 x 90, 2 x 10 x 105

the gym was super busy when I first got there. heck even the locker room was crazy. but luckily I walked out on the floor and found an open treadmill right away. the stretching area wasn't too bad, and by the time I got to weights the gym had cleared out a bit.

the preacher curls felt especially good...I hadn't tried 100# for a while. hopefully I won't feel it too bad.
  9. Sunday 08122012 workouts

by , August 12th, 2012 at 10:21 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    got out for a nice little spin on my bike this morning:

Home to Ahwatukee w/hills 64.57 mi 03:33 18.2mph pace

I was expecting it to be horribly warm out this morning, but I lucked out, it was only 88F when I started (97 when I finished) (hey it could have been in the 90s, I'll take it). And there were some really nice high clouds that at least made it feel a little cooler much of the ride. Went out to Ahwatukee, did a hill loop, then to the end. I had stopped for a short pit stop when I bumped into some guys from the Focus shop group ride, so I rode with them back for ~8 miles to a Circle K, where I topped off bottles. They were riding more out there, I wanted to come home, so we split, but I did stop off at the Sheraton Wild Horse Pass briefly. It was a bit windy on QC coming back. Overall, not too horrible, all things considered.
    http://app.strava.com/rides/18087609

I was laying on the couch in the afternoon, watched a little of the (very delayed) Olympic marathon coverage (I had already seen the results and the finish on BBC), when I started to feel guilty, so I went over to the gym for a run + swim:

Tmill: 30 min, 411 cal, 3.60 miles, avg 7.2 mph
    2 min warmup
    Hop to 6.9 mph and a very random increase to 8.2 mph
    1 min wamdown

it was kinda cool running on the treadmill while watching these uber athletes running on tv, especially since I've run down some of those same streets. well not down the middle of the streets like they got to, but on the sidewalks.

and it seemed like others had the same idea; the treadmills were much busier than I'd expect for a Sunday afternoon/evening

then went in the pool for a short swim:

500 w/u

5 x 100 kick w/fins + board
    --done 25 flutter/25 dolphin/25 flutter/25 dolphin

1000 continuous, done as 75 free/25 breast
    (I think my time was about 16 min)

200 w/d

TTL: 2200 yards

after putting my legs through all this stuff today, the water felt like heaven on them. that's one nice thing about indoor pools here in AZ, they stay cool in summer.

I didn't have much time, and I kind of wanted to do a long swim, but also wanted to do some breast, so this fit the bill.

we had an amazing dinner last night at Fuego Bistro in Phoenix. certainly not a place we'd go on a regular basis...it is both a little expensive and far for that. but it was a nice treat from our usual Red Robin/Ruby Tuesday-type dinner out.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Running , Cycling
  10. Friday 08102012 workouts

by , August 11th, 2012 at 01:33 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    Laura coached (Paul had water polo in the diving well)

got in 300 during open w/u

200 dps @ 3:15
    4 x 25 overkick @ :30
    200 dps @ 3:15
    4 x 25, 8 strokes fist (easy to wall) @ :30

3 rounds of:
    4 x 100 @ 1:15/1:25/1:35/3:00
    (goal pace of 80%/70%/60%/100%)

100 easy

6 x 75 kick @ 1:15 (I used fins + board, and rotated 25 flutter/25 dolphin across the set)

2 x 50 fly @ :30
    100 IM @ 2:00
    2 x 50 back @ :30
    2 x 50 breast @ :40
    2 x 50 free @ :30

200 w/d

TTL: 4050 yards

wow, what a set!

Laura made a point before we starting of saying, "and this is a set that Tim won't figure out." I usually try to (and most of the time do) figure out the set as she's giving it. most coaches seem to follow a pattern of some sort. but not really today.

so that first main set... I evidently didn't do it quite right. my times for the 100 @ 1:15 and the 100% @ 3:00 were pretty close.
    in a normal pool with reasonable water temps, I could have probably done 1:10/1:20/1:30 (Laura wanted my lane to try it, but I didn't even consider it). that said, I held around 1:10 on the 1:15 interval...and maybe 1:08-1:09 on the 100%.

and as if I hadn't gotten enough IM for the week, Laura threw in that set at the end.
    since I already had my fins on from the prior kick set, I kept them on until I hit breaststroke. so yes, I did some fly, but with fins.
    on the breastroke leg, I just swam free for the fly leg of IM.
    then after the last 2 free, I did a full-on IM, with normal fly (no fins). and it didn't suck too much.

for a rare treat, I left work a little early today...but still went to the gym

Tmill: 30 min, 404 cal, 3.53 miles, avg 7.0 mph
    1 min warmup
    Start at 6.8 mph and increase to 8.0
    1 min warmdown

Side plank: 3 min done as 2 x (45 sec right/45 sec left)

Incline bench: 1 x 12 x 115, 2 x 9 x 135, 1 x 6 x 155

Chest fly machine: 1 x 15 x 120, 1 x 12 x 165, 1 x 12 x 180, 2 x 10 x 195

Life fitness triceps press: 1 x 15 x 90, 1 x 12 x 110, 2 x 10 x 130

Swim: 400m easy/recovery swim

I really wanted to run at least 3 miles. I didn't increase the speed as much as normal, in hopes I may want to do even more.
    when I got to the gym, I was so happy--it was quite dead, the calm before the storm. I had my pick of treadmills, the stretching area was wide open, and weights weren't too busy either.

by the time it was 5pm, I had already run 2-1/2 miles

oddly, I felt rather strong doing the incline bench. I haven't had a really good bench for months. felt like I was stagnating with 135#, but tonight I increased and didn't feel like I was struggling too badly.

the pool here is just so refreshing. I'm tempted to go here and just do a really long swim sometime. compared with the other pools I swim in, this one is nearly perfect. if only it were a little deeper (it is barely 3 feet on the shallow side, I'm a bit paranoid I'll scrape the bottom on turns). but the cool water more than makes up for it.
  11. Wednesday 08082012 workouts

by , August 9th, 2012 at 01:40 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    Paul coached solo

missed open w/u

12 x 50--
    drill @ 1:00
    swim @ :40
    kick @ 1:00
    done in reverse IM order

main set--no extra rest

4 x 50 @ :50
    3 x 400 pull @ 5:30
    4 x 50 @ :50
    2 x 400 pull @ 5:20
    4 x 50 breast @ :55
    400 pull @ 5:10
    4 x 50 @ :45

100 easy kick/float on back (used fins)

200 w/d

TTL: 3900 yards

not sure why, but I got there a little late and all of the lanes on the faster side already had 2-3 in them and there were nearly vacant lanes just a few over. so I jumped in one lane that had a gal, but she disappeared shortly after I began the main set.

so since I was a little separated from the others, I did the main set solo. what I think happened, was Paul gave intervals for the super fast folks, then the next tier down stopped short so they could stay on the same interval.
    I thought of that, but just adjusted my intervals a hair. they were certainly challenging...I don't know if I've ever done a 400 @ 5:10 in workout before, without significant rest before + after.
    the 50s were supposed to be IM order, but I kind of treated them as recovery. I have no idea what came over me and I tried to do breast...then I figured I'd try cutting it down on the last round.

considering I got there late, I still got in a good chunk of distance.

after work, I went over to the 24 Hour Fitness @ Mesa-Riverview:

Tmill: 27 min, 369 cal, 3.23 miles, avg 7.1 mph
    2 min warmup
    Jump to 7.0 and increase to 8.2mph
    1 min warmdown
    Mile splits: 9:10, 17:20, 25:04

Hammer strength biceps curl: 1 x 15 x 45, 2 x 12 x 80, 2 x 9 x 90

Hammer strength high row: 1 x 15 x 90, 2 x 12 x 180, 1 x 8 x 230

I really wasn't feeling the treadmill too much...until this song came on my iPhone:
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wgnTU31z7s"]Bruce Springsteen - Born To Run - YouTube[/nomedia]
    followed by this one:
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQ_ExkfcBao"]Michael Jackson Thriller HD - YouTube[/nomedia]
    I probably would have cut at 2-1/2 miles, but after those 2 songs, I wanted to push to do a full 5k (and some Killers music gave me the final push)

just a little soreness on my left hip when rolling on my side, and no issues at all with planks

weights felt kinda meh. the run took more out of me than I thought, it was busy (and warm) so I just didn't feel like doing that much.

left the gym just as a dust storm was rolling through. it did cool things off a little, but considering the temp was 111 when I left the gym (7:45pm), it wasn't that much, just down to 104.
  12. Mon-Tues 0806-08072012 workouts

by , August 7th, 2012 at 01:24 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    went up to Mesa-Kino for the AM masters workout Mon morning
    we were in the warm-up pool (SCY)
    Laura coached solo

missed open w/u

800, breathe every 3/5/7/9 by 25

3 x 300 pull @ 4:30, used paddles + buoy

12 x 50 kick @ 1:00 (used fins and mostly board)
    2 easy/1 fast (did the last 2 fast on back w/o board)

12 x 25 @ :35, free
    odds: easy
    evens: fast

12 x 25 @ :40, breast
    odds: easy
    evens: fast

12 x 25 @ :30, choice
    odds: did easy free
    evens: did fly/back/fly/back fast (I only have 1 speed for fly)

200 w/d

TTL: 3400 yards

the pool felt so short. odd since when I swim in the gym pool I don't notice that, but it certainly felt short yesterday
    and I was really expecting the water to be super warm...but it was rather pleasant, almost (dare I say) chilly

the warm-up pool only has 6 lanes and one was set aside for open lap swimming, so we had 5. and we had 5 people in my lane...of varying speeds.
    for the pull set, I did quite a bit of breaststroke pull, just because I'd catch the last person. and it didn't make much sense to pass them, because I'd just be behind the next person.

I liked that 25s set. kind of recoverish, yet working the fast ones made it tough. and yes, I actually did real fly (all 2 of those 25's )

the scars from my bike fall (a week ago from Sunday) are finally fading. I had all kinds of people at the swim meet ask me if I was ok. by that point they just looked horrible, but I felt fine. It was kind of nice when I put on the jammer, as it covered them up.

speaking of the Yingfa jammer, I'm kind of ticked that it is already showing signs of fraying at one seam. this was only the 3rd time I've worn the thing. I've also noticed that it is much tighter on my legs than I remember (I'm sure biking so much has nothing to do with it ). the odd thing is, the waist seems loose. I may have to look at a few jammers; ideally I'd like some similar to my better bike shorts...they don't necessarily grab at the bottom on my legs, they have an inch or so that grabs, without being constrictive (the Yingfa jammer felt rather constrictive).

anyway, I went to the gym last night after work, 24 Hour Fitness @ Mesa Riverview:

Tmill: 23 min, 303 cal, 2.64 miles, avg 6.9 mph
    2 min warmup
    Jump to 6.8 mph, increase to 7.8 mph
    1 min warmdown

Dumbbell chest press: 1 x 15 x 45's, 1 x 12 x 55's, 2 x 9 x 65's (feet flat on floor)

Triceps skull crushers: 3 x 12 x 65 + 6

Dumbbell chest fly: 1 x 15 x 45's, 1 x 12 x 50's, 1 x 10 x 55's, 2 x 8 x 60's

Hanging leg raises fr pullup bar: 3 x 8

when I first arrived, it appeared that the gym wasn't busy, I saw all these open treadmills. but after getting changed and out on the floor, all those vacant treadmills were broken. I was able to use my trick to get one working.
    the leg rolling wasn't as painful on my hip as last week, but I was still very cautious. and I didn't notice anything with the side planks.

the weights area was just super busy, so I found a vacant bench and just planted myself there. putting my legs on the floor makes me feel more stable; I can lift heavier weight, but I think it is better to keep my feet elevated (I normally do that when on a flat bench)

I really wanted to do leg raises, but 3 guys were hogging all the captain's chairs when I wanted to. oddly the pullup bars were open...I hadn't done them that way for months, and it didn't feel too bad.

got up early this morning and took my bike out for a little longer spin:
    Home to Ahwatukee hill loop 51.16 mi 02:43 18.8mph pace

It is getting darker every morning...had to use my headlamp again for the first ~30 min this morning (if only it would get cooler). Headed over to Ahwatukee and did the little hill loop, clockwise, then swung by the Sheraton Wild Horse Pass on the return trip. It was pretty windy coming back, though it didn't seem quite as bad as Sunday. Certainly warm, around 90F (even at 5:30am), and sunny.
    http://app.strava.com/rides/17064309

this was a little slower than when I did the same ride last week. not exactly sure why... I'm sure I go a little slower in the dark, you never know what could be lurking out in the bike lane. and the wind on the way back probably held me up a little.
  13. Wednesday 08012012 workouts

by , August 2nd, 2012 at 12:50 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    we were in the main pool (LCM)
    Paul coached solo

got in 300 w/u

transition set:
    4 x 100 @ 2:00, with each 100 as:
    25 scull
    50 swim
    25 kick

main 1:
    20 x 50~~
    * 10 @ :55
    * 10 @ :50

400 recovery pull, breathe every 5 (which I actually did)

main 2:
    10 x 100~~
    * 5 @ 1:40
    * 5 @ 1:30

200 w/d

TTL: 3300m

every day my hip and other biking injuries seem to be just a little bit better. I hardly felt any issues at all during swim workout today, not even the dive into the pool (just from the bulkhead)

initially Paul told my lane to do the 50s @ :55, then he must have seen we were cruising them, so he told us around #6 or 8 to take the interval down after 10

I got a bit frustrated on the 100s set. yes he told us before we started to take the interval down to 1:30 after 5. I was in a lane with 2 others, and was last. the guy leading wore paddles, and had no problem. but when we were switching to 1:30, the guy in front of me didn't switch. I gave him another, then realized we were drifting behind (and the interval wasn't changing), and he wasn't about to let me past...so I did a quick stop at the flags to get ahead. I think it ticked him off, and he told me after, "you're not as fast as you think you are." be that as it may, I made the last 3 100s @ 1:30, the clock doesn't lie.

had a Toastmasters meeting today. I went from almost skipping the meeting, to going and doing a speech--on the fly. well I had used it for a class I took back in March, but I went without cards, and updated it a bit.
    and actually a gal from there swam in high school and wants to come watch the meet this weekend--she said she'll count for my 1500 and she's thinking of getting back to swimming

it is always so hard to get in the mood for gym after doing stuff like that, but I tried to just go for it
    went to the 24 Hour Fitness here in Chandler:

Tmill: 27 min, 365 cal, 3.19 miles, avg 7.1 mph
    2 min warmup
    Jumped to 6.9 mph and increased to 8.2 mph
    1 min warmdown

Planks w forearms on roller: 2 x 1:30
    Side planks: 3:00 done as 2 rounds of 45 sec right/45 sec left

Pullups: 3 x 8 + 5 sec horiz legs

Standing univ machine biceps curls: 1 x 15 x 80, 1 x 12 x 100, 2 x 10 x 120, 1 x 8 x 130

Univ machine front lat pulldowns: 1 x 15 x 90, 2 x 10 x 135

Univ machine seated row: 1 x 12 x 105, 2 x 9 x 135, 1 x 8 x 150

as with Toastmasters, I went from not wanting to run at all to keep pushing my run a minute longer, then another minute, upping the pace at the same time.
    I was really surprised my hip didn't bother me running.

but I was surprised it bothered me doing leg rolling and side planks. I hadn't even thought about it, but I guess it makes sense, and now I'm glad I skipped the gym Monday. I still rolled a little on the injured side, being extra careful close to my hip. I think maybe doing all this preventative stuff may have helped the injury not to be worse.

for some reason the leg raises felt especially easy, again not sure why.
  14. Friday 07272012 workouts

by , July 28th, 2012 at 02:04 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    went up to Mesa-Kino this morning for the AM masters swim workout
    Laura was coaching solo

got in 300 w/u

main sets:

800 neg split (11:06)

8 x 25 @ :45, all fast
    --did 3 & 6 breast

600, done as 100 easy/100 fast

6 x 50 @ 1:30, all fast
    --did 1-2, 4-5 free (32, 31, 32, 32)
    --3 & 6 breast (40, 40)

400, build by 100

4 x 75 @ 2:00, desc 1-4
    --times about 1:05, 1:02, :56, :54

200 @ 80%

100 FAST (1:07, yuck)

200 w/d

TTL: 3400 yards

before I got in the water, I asked Laura if she knew who a certain person was, who questioned her ability to be so perky in the morning. she said she didn't. then I said, "remember someone emailed you about getting me to do a 50 fast off the block, that's him." she said she'd have to do some digging

the water wasn't too bad. I didn't get a lane with an aerator, but was in one over and I could still feel the difference when I got close.
    we had a decent group, I split a lane with someone, but she seemed to be off in her own world

I felt much better on the longer efforts than the short ones, and better earlier in the set than later.

as I started my car to leave Kino, I noticed it struggled to start...but I didn't do anything about it. I brought a coupon for a free Starbucks, so stopped there before going to my office. after I got back in my car there, it wouldn't start
    thankfully I have jumper cables...and I texted a guy from my office, who was there in minutes. but unfortunately, all I got from his car was a clicking sound. then some sort of monster truck parked across the way. I went over and asked the guy if I could get a jump, explained how the other car wasn't enough. he laughed, moved the truck over, and my car immediately started.
    I drove right to WalMart, where they replaced the battery in about 20 min. not only that, but evidently I got the last one from a WalMart (who knew). they say the batteries are supposed to last 5 years (but they don't here in the desert), so I only had to pay about $35...and didn't even have to get my hands dirty.

after work I went over to the 24 Hour Fitness @ Mesa Riverview:

Tmill: 24 min, 317 cal, 2.77 miles, avg 6.9 mph
    2 min warmup
    Start at 6.8 mph, increase to 7.9 mph
    1 min warmdown

Side plank: 3:00, done as 2 rounds of 45 sec right/45 left

Incline bench: 3 x 9 x 135, 1 x 8 x 145

Standing single arm triceps dumbbell curl: 2 x 12 x 27.5's, 2 x 10 x 30's, 1 x 8 x 32.5's

Free motion dual cable cross chest fly: 1 x 15 x 70, 1 x 12 x 75, 1 x 12 x 80, 1 x 10 x 85, 2 x 8 x 90

Swim: 400m

the gym was unusually dead

I saw some sort of Olympic pre-opening show while I was running. was both interesting and odd at the same time (but then again, I'd describe the opening ceremonies as quite odd).
    the tv's near the weights were showing baseball or something though.
    I felt pretty good lifting, much of the soreness I had for the last week or 2 is stabilizing--but I certainly wouldn't say I don't get more sore after lifting again.

I really like the feel of going in the cool water after lifting. I really should do it more often.

I generally don't watch any sports on tv, but I may break that, at least a little, for these Olympic games. a gal who swam with the age group team at Kino, [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breeja_Larson"]Breeja Larson[/ame], is doing the 100m breast at the games.
    I've met Breeja several times, actually swam in the same lane as her (just behind her a few times). She's super nice, very mellow and low-key, and I hope she does well.
    (she'll be the 2nd Olympian I've swum with, the other is [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camilla_Johansson"]Camilla Johansson[/ame] )

I remember as a kid we'd always watch the equestrian events. I'm not sure I could take more than a few minutes of that right now.

during the 1996 games, I was doing a semester abroad in Tokyo. the coverage of the Atlanta games we saw over there was quite odd... I never knew there was so much judo, karate, plus all the wrestling.
  15. Wednesday 07252012 workouts

by , July 26th, 2012 at 12:52 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    we were in the main pool (SCM )
    Laura was coaching solo

got in 500 w/u choice

transition set (1200m):
    2 x 200 @ 4:00
    --50 swim/50 kick/50 drill/50 swim
    4 x 100 @ 2:00, desc 1-4
    --non free (did breast)
    6 x 50 @ 1:00, desc 1-3/4-6

main set (2000m):
    4 x (
    3 x 100 @ 1:30
    4 x 50 @ 1:00 recovery)
    15 extra seconds between rounds

100 w/d

TTL: 3800m

when I was swimming last night, there was a meet going on at the end of the main pool. I heard them announcing events as meters, and even asked Jack, "isn't that setup as yards?" he assured me it was meters.

imagine my surprise when I walked into Kino this morning, and we (the masters) were swimming over in the end (competition) section.
    yea it isn't long course, but heck I'll take it. most people didn't realize it was SCM (instead of SCY) until Laura said something. one guy told me he thought he was just swimming slow.

we had a decent group, 3-4 per lane. we had 3 in my lane. I begun leading, but then slid to the back when I did 4 x 100 breast, while the others did free. since we had Mr, "go all out for the first half until you die," in my lane, I took advantage of it...let him go first, drafted off of him. then as we were finishing round 2 of the main set he told me that I'd have to lead for round 3. I took off my drag suit and went for it...wasn't really all that bad.
    I got 7-9 sec for those 100s. we probably could have gone @ 1:25... had the air/water been a little cooler, it would have certainly been doable. today, I appreciated @ 1:30

I was in the 3rd fastest lane. the next lane up did this set/these intervals, the fastest did 100s @ 1:20. the next slowest did @ 1:40, but only got in 3 rounds. then there were 4 other lanes beyond that.
    Laura was all over the place. she'd show up at the end of our lane yelling out times. after we finished, I asked her, "how do you keep track of where everyone is at?" she said, "I just show up yelling out times, pretending like I know what's going on."

definitely a great set, and I felt like I got a bit out of it

after work, I headed over to the Mesa 24 Hour Fitness--

Tmill: 25 min, 326 cal, 2.85 miles, avg 6.8 mph
    2 min warmup
    Start at 6.8 mph and increase to 7.8 mph
    1 min warmdown

Side plank: 3:00, done as two rounds of 45 sec right/45 sec left
    Various stretching + pushups

Biceps preacher curls: 2 x 12 x 80, 2 x 10 x 90, 2 x 8 x 75

Hammer strength high row: 2 x 12 x 140, 2 x 10 x 180, 2 x 8 x 230

Pullups: 3 x 8 + 5 sec horiz legs

I really had a tough time getting into my run. usually after a couple minutes, I'm fine. but today I really struggled nearly through the whole thing.

otherwise, the gym was pretty dead. the whole stretching area had maybe 3-4 people in there. the weights area was dead. everything but the Universal Machine had tons of people, all doing pullups right when I initially wanted to. I moved on to preacher curls. then I was going to just leave, and the Univ Machine was wide open, so I thought I'd try pullups then. they weren't nearly as bad as I expected, at the end.
  16. Monday 07232012 workouts

by , July 24th, 2012 at 01:32 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    Dan coached

w/u:
    200 swim
    200 kick

transition sets:
    4 x (
    2 x 75 @ 1:15
    2 x 50 kick @ 1:05
    2 x 25 stroke @ :35)

about a minute rest

400 pull @ 6:00
    8 x 50 @ :50, descend 1-4/5-8
    300 pull @ 4:30
    6 x 50 kick @ 1:00
    200 pull @ 3:00
    4 x 50 @ :50, IMO
    100 FAST @ 1:30 (1:12ish)
    2 x 50 FAST @ :40 (:32ish)

200 w/d

TTL: 3800 yards

I decided not to even risk the chance with Skyline, and it sounds like it was SCY anyway.
    Laura usually coaches at Kino on Monday, but since she was busy with a kids meet over the weekend she took the morning off

we were pretty crowded, 3-4 per lane, and I moved around within my lane...from last to first, back again, and back first again.
    this was a little more than the typical Monday recovery set, but my body seemed to do pretty well with it.

water temp wasn't too bad either, maybe the weekend storms cooled off the water a bit. although it was a rare day that the pool was actually a bit dirty (they keep that pool so clean, I'm sure they vacuumed it during the day today)

after work I went over to the 24 Hour Fitness @ Mesa-Riverview and got in a decent workout:

Tmill: 24 min, 311 cal, 2.72 miles, avg 6.8 mph
    2 min warmup
    Start at 6.8 mph, increase to 7.6 mph
    1 min warmdown

(a former coworker was next to me so we chatted and took at least 2 mi. Warmup. Then a guy with horrible bo was on the other side...)

Side plank: 3 min done as 2 rounds of 45 sec right/45 sec left

Bench: 3 x 9 x 135, 1 x 5 x 145

Skull crushers: 3 x 10 x 70 + 5 narrow presses

Dumbbell chest fly: 1 x 10 x 50's, 1 x 10 x 55's, 2 x 8 x 60's

just as I was getting there the gym got really busy. I had to wait a few minutes for a tmill to open, but then it seemed like several did at the same time. then when I went over to the stretching area, that was full, and again it emptied out when I was finishing.

so in addition to seeing the former co-worker, there was a guy there who had worked in with me a while ago when I was doing preacher curls. he was just in front of me when I was benching, came and asked if I would spot him for dumbbell presses, but of course he was using 100# dumbbells. I told him that was 30# more than I even weigh. anyway, I did have to help a little on his last 2 reps.

as for my bench, now that I've been back lifting ~2 weeks, the initial soreness has faded, and I can very gradually increase. I know I'll feel those skull crushers though...

and yes, there's a Seinfeld for everything. I kept thinking of this one while on the tmill and after:
    [ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Smelly_Car[/ame]
    like that Seinfeld, I could smell it while on the tmill, after he left, then even while doing planks the smell had grown to my shirt. but at least for me, after I showered it was all gone
  17. Friday 07202012 workouts

by , July 21st, 2012 at 01:49 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    Laura coached solo (Paul did H2O polo)

got in 500 w/u

300 swim
    200 pull (used paddles + buoy)
    100 kick (used fins + board)
    50 scull

16 x 25 @ :30, 3 easy/1 fast no breath

100 easy

100 FAST for time (1:09)

100 easy

12 x 25 @ :30, 2 easy/1 fast no breath

50 easy

200 FAST for time (2:29)

50 easy

8 x 25 @ :30, 1 easy/1 fast no breath

100 easy

100 FAST for time (did breast, 1:29)

50 easy

4 x 25 @ :40, all fast no breath

50 easy

50 FAST for time (:31)

200 w/d

TTL: 3300 yards

the water almost felt a bit refreshing. when I see the aerators running, I prefer to get in a lane where they hit. initially, there were aerators going at both ends. but someone in the next lane complained to Laura, so she shut one off

even with cooler water, I still wasn't that fast today. a fast 100 from a push should be around 1:05. but after my 1:09, when the 200 came around, I set a goal to go under 2:30 and at least I beat that.

I may not have gotten all of the easy swims right; it was either a 50 or 100 both before and after fast swims.

I chatted with Laura about my quest to swim in all of the Chandler pools. She hadn't heard of Arrowhead pool either, and was shocked that there was another 50m pool in the area. seems it is one of the city's best-kept secrets.

after work today I went over to the 24 Hour Fitness @ Mesa-Riverview and did the following:

Tmill: 27 min, 359 cal, 3.14 miles, avg 6.9 mph
    2 min warmup
    Start at 6.8 mph, various increase to 7.9 mph
    1 min warmdown
    Splits: 9:25, 17:40, 25:42

Planks w forearms on roller: 2 x 1:30
    Side planks: 3:00, done as 2 rounds of 45 sec right/45 sec left

Pullups: 3 x 8 + 5 sec horiz legs after each

Hammer strength biceps curls: 1 x 15 x 70, 2 x 12 x 80, 2 x 9 x 90

Hammer strength front lat pulldowns: 1 x 15 x 90, 2 x 12 x 140, 2 x 9 x 190

Standing biceps hammer curls: 2 x 12 x 35's, 1 x 9 x 40's

Rear delt machine: 1 x 15 x 60, 1 x 12 x 75, 1 x 10 x 90, 2 x 8 x 105

Swim: easy 400m

I was going to call my run early, somewhere around 2.7 miles or so. then suddenly Metallica's, "Enter Sandman," came on so of course I had to finish out the song
    the run actually felt pretty smooth, and it almost felt like they may have changed/adjusted the belt on the treadmill (it felt super coushiony, and my shoes aren't brand new).

there were 2 other guys I worked in with doing pullups. I sometimes feel like I'm in the way, but at least with 3 of us we more or less just rotated through. and I think I did more pullups on each set than they did.

I really wanted to do preacher curls, but another guy was on it. I probably should have tried to work in, but I really don't like doing that, especially for that. and since I did a machine, I did my hammer curls later on. I just hope I didn't overdo my biceps.

the swim felt really great! water was nice and cool.
    on one length there was a guy who seemed to race me. except I wasn't really racing (well I did pick up my pace a little), and when he got to the next wall, he stopped, while I flipped and kept going.
  18. Wednesday 07182012 workouts

by , July 19th, 2012 at 12:58 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    went to Mesa-Skyline for the AM masters swim workout
    we were in the main pool (SCY )
    Jon coached

got in 400 w/u

12 x 50--4 sets of 3, done as:
    #1: kick @ 1:10 (used board, no fins)
    #2: 25 scull/25 drill @ 1:10
    #3: swim build @ 1:00

2 rounds of (no extra rest):
    4 x 100 @ 1:30
    4 x 50 @ :40

300 easy recovery

2 rounds of (no extra rest):
    4 x 50 @ :45
    4 x 25 @ :20

200 w/d

TTL: 3300 yards

don't know what is going on... Skyline is supposed to be set up 50m, but both Monday and today it was 25 yard Maybe I'll just go to Kino instead.
    at least it looks like I'll have a group to do some Monday open water swims @ Saguaro Lake

I shared a lane with a guy and the two of us did the set above. the other lanes adjusted to slower intervals.
    the main sets today were deceptively difficult. I almost was about to say that we could do the 100s @ 1:25...or even 1:20. but after doing 50s @ :40, I really appreciated the extra rest on the second round.

for the 50s/25s set, the guy I shared with (notorious for self-adjusting sets to get more rest), wanted to take more rest at some point. I heard him starting to say something as I pushed off on a 25, but just kept swimming. he managed to just catch up.
    yea I'd love to get some extra rest myself, but I know doing sets like this are good for me, so I try to push myself and keep to the intervals

had Toastmasters again today, so after that finished, I just went to the Chandler 24 Hour Fitness. wasn't really feeling it, but managed a short set:

Tmill: 24 min, 315 cal, 2.75 miles, avg 6.8 mph
    2 min warmup
    Start at 6.8 mph, various increases to 7.6 mph
    1 min warmdown

Side plank: 3 min, done as 45 sec right, 45 sec left x 2

Decline bench: 3 x 9 x 135

Life fitness triceps extension, single arm: 2 x 12 x 40, 2 x 10 x 45

Free motion dual cable cross chest fly: 1 x 15 x 70, 1 x 12 x 80, 2 x 8 x 90

my run went through phases. tough to start, felt ok, then various pains, then felt good. eventually my music won out, with American Pie (a long song) keeping me entertained and speeding up.

for the first time I ever remember, when I walked out to the benches w/barbells, every single one was available. I'm not used to having such choices... hadn't benched in weeks, so wanted to go easy. the decline felt ok.

on the very first set of triceps stuff, I somehow hit my left elbow (that I wasn't even using) with the machine. my left arm is weaker anyway, but tonight it was much more of a struggle than my right.

so at what point is it acceptable for guys to parade around the locker room naked?
    well tonight's wasn't quite...he was wearing shoes and socks. I really don't even know how that could happen.
    I bring my swim towel in with me, after I shower I wrap it around my waist, go to my locker, put on a t-shirt, then take off the towel and put on underwear, then pants or shorts.
    last week, I saw another at the Mesa gym. I'd say nearly every gym has this going on, very odd. does the same thing happen in the ladies' locker room?
    makes me think of this line:
    "After a long day at work, I *don't* want to see that! "
    --Valerie Cherish (Lisa Kudrow), "The Comeback"

we started watching, Political Animals last night. it took me a little while, but I got into it and had to watch the whole episode, up an hour or more past my usual bedtime. it made waking up at 4:30 this morning (and staying up all day) especially difficult.
    anyway, it is a great show! I've always been a fan of Sigourney (I have no idea how she looks so good for 62). and this is my favorite of her lines:
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDqTwSO1DDc"]Get Away From Her You Bitch - YouTube[/nomedia]
  19. Sunday 07152012 triple

by , July 16th, 2012 at 12:53 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    got out early this morning for a nice long spin on my bike:

Comin' round the mountain 78.12 mi 04:20 18.1mph pace

Hadn't done a loop around South Mountain for at least 6 weeks, so thought I was due this morning. Weather started out pretty nice, after yesterday's rain. I headed through the Chandler Airport to QC, that turns into Maricopa Rd, then to Riggs. I knew the Landis group does this, and I saw a guy waiting for them at Riggs/Maricopa, so figured I'd try to get as far as I could before they passed me. It was about 6-7 miles when they passed me, and it was as if I was standing still. Initially I thought I'd try to ride with them, I held 24-25 mph for a mile or 2, but they still disappeared off in the distance. And that might have been a mistake, I really fried my legs trying to do that. When I finally hit South Mountain Park, I headed to the Summit. But by the time I reached the saddle (about halfway up), I was already using my easy gears...and figured going to the top would be far from fun. So I stopped at a lookout for a minute, then headed down. As I was approaching the big turn, I suddenly thought I'd give San Juan a try, and that was much more my speed today. Went all the way to the end, took another quick break, then back. Some guys from my bike shop told me to try Guadalupe to Price on the way back so I did...Guadalupe had a bit of construction in the bike lane, and the Price frontage road has absolutely no shade. So I think I'll go back to 48th St to Chandler Blvd next time (48th St has tons of shade, and Chandler Blvd isn't bad for biking). I filled up my bottles twice, and still almost ran out by the time I got home. Jumped in the pool--that felt fantastic!
    I hate it when you get a song stuck in your head... Today it was, "She'll be comin round the mountain." (at least it was appropriate for what I was doing)
    this was my longest ride to date, I think just by .2 or .3 miles, but heck, I'll take it

http://app.strava.com/rides/13474323

I had started to feel a bit disgusted with my riding lately. yea I was a bit pissed I couldn't catch that group this morning, then that I bailed on the South Mountain climb. but then I saw all those PR's on the whole ride...hard to feel sorry for yourself with a ton of PR's

later today I went over to the Chandler 24 Hour Fitness for a quick run-swim...

run portion (on tmill):
    Tmill: 24 min, 309 cal, 2.68 miles, avg 6.7 mph
    2 min warmup
    Start at 6.6, various increases to 7.6 mph
    1 min warmdown

I thought my legs would feel like jelly, but surprisingly they weren't too bad.

then changed, went in the pool (25 yards) and did this:

500 w/u

5 x 100 kick @ 5-10 sec rest, w/fins + board
    #1-3-5, free
    #2-4, fly

5 x 200 pull @ 2:50, with buoy + paddles
    just a casual set

10 x 50 @ :55, descend 1-5 and 6-10
    fast 50s on about 35

5 x 100 @ 1:40, "building a fast 100"
    #1: all easy
    #2: 75 easy/25 fast
    #3: 50 easy/50 fast
    #4: 25 easy/75 fast
    #5: all fast (around 1:11)

200 w/d

TTL: 3200 yards

the water felt really great when I first got in. that cool water on my legs almost gave them new life. but they were feeling it by the end of the kick set.

I really liked that build a fast 100... well not so much the last 3, but that part went by so quickly, it was over before I knew it.

they finally got the 2nd lane rope fixed, so I was back in my favorite lane too. I was the only one swimming the whole time I was there. a few people came in floating around every now and then.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Running , Cycling
  20. Friday 07132012: PM run/weights/swim @ gym

by , July 14th, 2012 at 12:36 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    thankfully my car was ready this afternoon! although it did cost nearly $600 for a new key and a new ignition cassette. crazy

since I was up there anyway, I just went to the Tempe 24 Hour Fitness, Price/Baseline and here's what I did:

Tmill: 28 min, 370 cal, 3.22 miles, avg 6.9mph
    2 min warmup
    Start at 6.7 and increase .1 mph every 3 min
    At 19 min, increase .1 per min
    Sit at 7.5 mph for 3 min
    Increase .1 mph to 27 min
    1 min warmdown
    Mile splits--roughly 9:30, 18, 26

the area near the treadmills was nice and cool. the a/c must have been cranked, there were ceiling and floor fans on. almost to the point that I was chilly...but not quite. it felt really nice.
    plus it seemed that they either replaced the treamills or at least changed out the belts. mine felt so soft (well I'm using fairly new shoes too).

Plank w forearms on roller: 2 x 1:20
    Side planks: 3 rounds of 30 sec right/30 sec left
    Various stretching

Pullups: 3 x 8 + 5 sec horizontal legs after each set

Univ machine standing biceps curls: 1 x 15 x 90, 2 x 12 x 120, 2 x 9 x 130

Univ machine front lat pulldowns: 1 x 15 x 90, 2 x 12 x 120, 2 x 9 x 135

Hammer strength shoulder press: 3 x 9 x 90

with the recent remodel, they re-did the carpet in the weight area, but the machines and stuff all seem the same. actually, it took me a while to find some stuff...I walked all over looking for the preacher curl, finally gave up and did the Universal...then while doing lat pulldowns I saw it just down from the Univ Machine.
    and the captain's chair had moved...there used to be a view from it, now it is mostly stuck in a corner.

overall, a pretty nice gym experience. I may swing by this location once in a while.

Swim (SCM)
    2 x 400, at about 80%. no paceclock, but I'd guess around 6 to 6:30 per 400.
    water was nice and cool...so cool in fact that my legs almost started cramping when I first got in.
    I had thought of doing a mini 1000 set, but I was pretty beat by this point. my chest was really feeling weights from Wed (I'm afraid how I'll feel tomorrow/Sunday). such is life of getting back to lifting after a couple weeks off.
    I almost felt like I was back in Houston...the pool (as well as the whole gym) was exactly the same.

as I was leaving, I asked the guy at the front if the gym was usually this dead. he said that Fridays are typically slow, but today was even more so. he asked me which location I usually go to...he kinda laughed when I said, "usually Mesa-Riverview, sometimes Chandler, once in a while Gilbert."

and since I was in the area, I picked up Thai food for dinner from Yupha's Thai Kitchen, clearly the best Thai food in metro Phoenix (without breaking the bank).
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast