Blog Comments

TTL: 5600 yards, 90 min
    That's some serious business! Are you plotting something big, or just enjoying a random longer practice?
    Quote Originally Posted by JPEnge
    Do you swim outside all of the time then?
    Most of the time. I do sometimes swim in the pool at my gym (24 Hour Fitness).

Sendero is outside; there are lights in the pool and around the deck, but oddly the pace clock is mounted to a wall on the side of a building, and there's no lights to make it visible when it is dark. The water is heated in winter, and covered with tarps. We can't swim when it is storming, of course.
    When we had a masters group there, the coach brought a small digital clock (she got into a disagreement with the group who runs the pool, and the team fell apart).
    I wear an Apple Watch. If I'm doing timed swims, I'll use that for sendoff/end time (plus it gives more data after it synchs to my phone).

I tried swimming with a local masters team that uses an inside pool, but had breathing problems. It is ok for me to do once in a while, but I guess living and swimming in AZ for so long, made it easier to swim outside.
    Do you swim outside all of the time then?
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    You gotta do the sauna before and after the swim to brave that Helsinki pool. Now you've given me another reason, beyond tracing my Finnish grandmother's roots, to go to Finland.
    Make sure you bring a towel with you too! Perhaps an old towel that you can just throw away afterwards. Someone just gave me one of those shammy-type towels, but I forgot to pack it.
    Otherwise the pool does sell towels, I think about E10. Heck they sell suits and goggles too.
    It wasn't too busy when I stopped by...but that was on a Thursday in January. I did hang out for a bit, it looked like maybe 5 people in the warmer heated pool. I'll try to clean up some pictures and post to my Instagram.

I was only in Helsinki for a day, flight arrived around 9am and left around midnight. But it was a very walkable place--despite the weather. I brought a very old (like 25 years old) winter coat with me, just in case it got lost along the way. Of course it didn't...trusty thing. I guess I should be glad it still fits.
    You gotta do the sauna before and after the swim to brave that Helsinki pool. Now you've given me another reason, beyond tracing my Finnish grandmother's roots, to go to Finland.
    Interesting output. Some of it I'm having trouble deducing. Can you explain.
    For example, consider:
    01 Freestyle 450 yd 1'29"/37
    Swim 06:41
    Rest 01:42

This looks like you swam 450 yds of freestyle in 6:41, which is indeed the 1:29/100 pace, but what is the "/37" part?

Then you rested 1:42, which is ok, I assume you weren't going on any specific interval because the swim + rest time is 8:23, a very unusual interval.

But then I looked at this:
    02 Freestyle 125 yd 1'26"/35
    Swim 01:47
    Rest 00:42

I assume you swam 125 yds of freestyle in 1:47, but that's the 1:25.6/100, so what's with the 1:26? Is it just rounded up, or is that your time for the first 100 yds of the 125?

Why do you suppose it missed the break between the 3rd & 4th 150s? Was your rest so short that it didn't register it as a stop? This could be a problem if one were doing repeats on a very tight interval, say 100s on 1:30 and coming in at the 1:28 for example.

Can it figure out bk, br and fly as well?

I'm just wondering how useful this thing would be to me.
    Great job! Looks like you did a good job sighting and swimming straight. That's not an easy task for a lot of people. Congratulations.
    You splits weren't bad in the 1500. I like like how keep the odd 50 splits a second faster than the even 50s split. It seems that Texas always has good pools to race in. You probably shouldn't have lifted the day before this meet even though you didn't see this as a rested meet.
    I have decided that I need to do more meets. I seem to go kicking and screaming, but once I'm there I have a good time. Hopefully there's a decent venue for the zone SCM meet this fall. perhaps even something local. and get over my pool snob bit. almost any pool is going to be better than my gym, Sendero, and community pools. and any is better than staying home.
    Great! Meets are fun and I'll be they're even more fun in a temperature controlled environment vs. the hothouse ovens you used to experience racing in AZ.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    The meet director was sending this site to all the LMSC Chairs. Good luck and it is supposed to be a nice pool. One of my teammates enjoyed the pool last year because he didn't want to wait til the end of the year to go to Oregon.
    It really is supposed to be a great facility. I'm not sure why we have such a small number registered... Back when I did the state meets in AZ, we'd sometimes get 150-200 showing up. With a great pool, pretty central to DFW, Houston, and Austin, you'd think it could easily be 250.
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    I would have loved to swim at this meet but unfortunately our kids have there champs meet this weekend. Good luck Tim. Have fun!
    I've been looking for your name to pop up in the list...guess it wont. Ande too; I'll have to give him a hard time for not showing. I don't recognize any names listed, but perhaps I'll recognize some folks from o/w events.
    I would have loved to swim at this meet but unfortunately our kids have there champs meet this weekend. Good luck Tim. Have fun!
    The meet director was sending this site to all the LMSC Chairs. Good luck and it is supposed to be a nice pool. One of my teammates enjoyed the pool last year because he didn't want to wait til the end of the year to go to Oregon.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    80 degree water temp sounds a little hot for OW. Did it get too hot as the air temp heated up? It does look like a beautiful swim.
    yea 80 is warm, but last year (in a different lake) I think the temp as 82. I felt so much better after my cap fell off

I didn't notice the water temp change too much during the swim. air temp was mid-70s at start, mid-80s at finish...but quite humid (typical Texas).

you'll have to come out and do this swim sometime.
    Quote Originally Posted by flystorms
    Good job, Tim! Yes, you probably saved 45-60 minutes by being at this other lake. And yes, I35 traffic sucks no matter what time of day it is. I don't miss that at all.

Sounds like you had a pretty good showing for the race. There's something motivating about picking a few people off at the end if you can push it a bit.

I'm so ready for an OW race, but the lakes here are so far away so no training so far. I'm heading to Jacksonville FL in a few weeks for a race there.
    It was a good event, apart from the late start. Very casual, low key. And the venue reminded me more of one of the AZ lakes, like Saguaro. Probably because it is in a state park.

There were a few people who remembered me/I remembered from last year. And a couple who did the Highland Lakes Challenge too. o/w is a small world
    80 degree water temp sounds a little hot for OW. Did it get too hot as the air temp heated up? It does look like a beautiful swim.
    Good job, Tim! Yes, you probably saved 45-60 minutes by being at this other lake. And yes, I35 traffic sucks no matter what time of day it is. I don't miss that at all.

Sounds like you had a pretty good showing for the race. There's something motivating about picking a few people off at the end if you can push it a bit.

I'm so ready for an OW race, but the lakes here are so far away so no training so far. I'm heading to Jacksonville FL in a few weeks for a race there.
    I was on the fence, but finally registered for the Texas Zone meet in a few weeks at Texas A&M in College Station.
    Great! I hope you have a blast!
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    The one pool close to me is closed for the summer and all the nearby swim clubs require a membership to join(I ain't paying like 200 bucks). There is no community pool or drop in rates. I have to stick with the Y bs and indoor pools for now. Sounds great to have a community pool nearby for convenience like that.
    I don't know why I didn't use the community pool more last year. It isn't heated, but the water temp is definitely warm enough now.
    Not that Sendero is horribly far...2 miles. But I enjoy swimming with the group there too.

I need to look up pools near AC for next week. I think the ocean is going to be too cold for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by flystorms
    What a treat to be able to walk to the pool. I'm envious.
    I've been walking the dogs, come home, put on suit then the cargo shorts, walk to pool. I don't like carrying my gear bag...so it is all swimming. I'd feel guilty driving.
    When there's someone who hasn't seen me before at the pool they seem surprised when I take off the cargo shorts on deck

Are you doing the swim at Cedar Hill SP in a few weeks? I signed up for it ages ago, and I have a hotel booked (that I can cancel) in Mansfield (the closer places were either full or crazy expensive).
    I'm on the fence if I'll go. I could cancel hotel, and I entered back in Dec when I think the entry fee was $30-35, so not a huge loss.
    Have you swim in that lake before? So far my community pool isn't too warm, so I'm hopeful the lakes will still be a decent temp.