View RSS Feed

Running

Primarily a running workout

1. Wednesday 07112012 workouts

by , July 12th, 2012 at 01:35 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    went to Mesa-Kino for the AM masters swim workout
    we were in the main pool (SCY)...on the end with the bulkhead as a wall
    Paul & Laura were coaching, I was with Paul's group

got in 400 w/u

4 x 25 @ 25, free
    4 x 50 @ 50, stroke (did breast)
    4 x 75 @ 1:15, free
    4 x 100 @ 1:40, supposed to be IM (did fr/bk/br/fr)

1000 neg split (ouch)

4 x 25 @ :30 power kick (used fins)
    4 x 50 @ 1:00, swim (kept the fins on)
    4 x 75 @ 1:30, u/w kick (again fins)
    4 x 100 @ 2:00 (I think I just swam this)

500 fast for time (6:25ish)

200 w/d

TTL: 4100 yards

we had a decent turnout, but there weren't many fast people there. somehow I ended up in the 2nd fastest lane.
    I went 3rd in the lane for the first bit, and was fine going last for the 1000. I started catching the gal in front of me, but then I just inserted a 25 breast. she stopped to let me go, so I didn't get to do an easy draft as I initially planned

the last 500 was supposed to be 2 x 500, but we didn't have enough time. and Paul wanted us to use fins + paddles. I put on my fins, put on my paddles, but then a strap came out of my paddles. I got it back in, put them on...and it immediately came out again. the others in the lane already left, so I kinda just jumped in after they both did 100.

after work, I went over to the 24 Hour Fitness @ Mesa-Riverview, and here's what I did:

Tmill: 26 min, 335 cal, 2.92 miles, avg 6.7 mph
    2 min warmup
    Start at 6.6 mph, gradual increase to 7.7 mph
    1 min warmdown

Leg rolling: 5 min
    Plank w forearms on roller: 2 x 1:40
    Side plank: 2 min done as 30 right, 30 left, repeat

Dumbbell chest press: 1 x 12 x 47.5, 1 x 12 x 55, 2 x 10 x 60, 1 x 6 x 65...barely

Triceps skull crushers: 3 x 12 x 60 + 6 narrow presses after each set

Star trak pec fly: 1 x 15 x 120, 1 x 12 x 150, 1 x 12 x 165, 2 x 10 x 180

I really went with no real set plan. figured I'd jump on the treadmill, see how it felt, do some leg rolling, then go from there.
    I hadn't run for 2 or 3 weeks. I wanted to in NYC (had planned to run in CP, or at least Battery Park near my hotel), but just didn't have the time.

I think it was a bit warm in the gym, my shirt was totally soaked by the time I finished on the treadmill, and of course I forgot a hand towel. I used some paper towels to clean off my machine, and myself as best I could

the leg rolling and first set of planks felt fine. those side planks really hit me though, I usually do sets of 45 sec, but today 30 was more than enough.

really didn't want to bench a barbell, and I can't remember the last time I benched dumbbells, so that was a good move. I probably did more than I should have, and I'll probably feel it on Friday.
    I did take the skull crushers a little lighter, but I'm sure I'll still feel those (I almost always do, especially after time off)
    it is rare that I find the pec fly machine vacant, it is the most popular machine in the whole gym. I ran over to it....and it felt fine too. lifted just a little lighter than normal, but not too far off.

I'm thinking of doing the AZ LMSC Long Course meet in a few weeks:
    http://www.teamunify.com/EventShow.j...54&team=amsmac
    Probably just Saturday.
    the events I'm thinking of:
    1500 free
    100 free
    100 breast
    400 free

the 1500/100 and 100br/400 fr are back to back, but there should be some time in between.
  2. Weekend 0623-06242012 workouts

by , June 25th, 2012 at 12:02 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    did a rare group ride yesterday--

Focus shop group ride 64.39 mi 03:29 18.5mph pace

Thought I'd try something different today and rode over to the Focus shop for their weekly group ride. I was apprehensive of trying a group, never know what to expect. Overall, it wasn't too bad. It certainly wasn't a walk in the park, but it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. We went from Gilbert/Pecos over Pecos to way east Gilbert/Mesa, eventually up to Sossoman, where we crossed the US-60. Somewhere in there I got dropped--big time. I was riding solo for around 5 miles, had given up any hope of catching the group...when I stumbled on them because a guy had a flat. We stopped at a gas station in AJ, meandered over to Usery. I had never done Usery from Mesa, only the other way. It was a blast going down it. And surprisingly, I wasn't the last climbing back up (at least 3 guys behind me). The ride back was very mellow, with people dropping out along the way. We had another gas station pit stop. Very friendly group, almost everyone dropped back to chat with me at some point. Most were rather surprised when I told them I had only been cycling since Dec. Weather wasn't too horrible, better at the start, warm when we finished.
    http://app.strava.com/rides/11533922

I really felt like saying to those guys who came up the hill after me, "maybe if you hadn't blown your legs on that flat stretch you'd have taken that hill faster," but I think I'd prefer not getting punched, during a ride at least.
    But seriously, they announced the route Friday on Facebook. I knew much of it, I had ridden Usery a few times before (just last week actually), and there was absolutely no way I'd do crazy sprinting before taking on a hill like that. Evidently not everyone feels the same.
    This is something that was kinda cool, and I'll do it again. Not every day or even every week, but I think I'll make it at least a monthly routine, if not more often. It certainly is more interesting than riding solo. It just feels safer riding with more people.

this morning I did another rarity, went out for a run

Paseo Trail, home to QC, on to Fry 5.61 mi 00:50 08:52 pace

Thought I'd take Holly out for a run along the canal this morning, goal of ~5 miles. She went out strong, but quickly faded. Around 1-1/2 miles in, around QC road, we took a break and I decided to turn around. We breaked again at Los Arboles Park, then I nearly had to pull her home (taking my pace way down to a 9:30 to 10 min/mile). Dropped her off, put ice in her water...then went back out. Initially I was just going to go up to Pecos, but pushed things and went up to Fry Rd. I felt pretty good..had a nice sprinty finish. Probably could have gone further, but didn't want to ruin a good thing. Weather was warm--sunny and mid-80s even at 6:30 when we started. Very slight breeze.
    http://app.strava.com/runs/11609888

Holly was pretty wiped out, but still had enough energy to jump on me when I came in after I finished the solo portion of my run. but she slept much of the day after that.
    I want to do at least 1 loop of Central Park while in NYC this week...so figured I should get out for a real run. I'll probably run once near my hotel on Wed or Thurs, then do CP on Saturday morning (together with thousands of others I'm sure).

then late this afternoon, I went over to the Chandler 24 Hour Fitness for a solo swim
    pool is 25 yards (SCY)
    I had the solo lap lane

did a 'fun with 500s' set, each of these sub-sets are all 500--

warm-up: 500 various

kick set:
    5 x 100 @ 5-10 sec rest, with board + fins
    odds: free
    evens: fly

pull set:
    2 x 250 @ 3:30, with paddles + buoy

transition set:
    10 x 50 @ :55
    descend 1-4, 5-7, 8-9, and another fast on #10
    (fast swims were about :34)

main set:
    400 free for time (5:09)
    100 easy

fun Oreo set:
    3 x 150 @ 2:30, done 50 free/50 breast/50 free
    50 easy

sprints/warm-down
    50 fast breast for time (:40)
    100 easy
    100 fast free for time (1:08)
    250 easy w/d

TTL: 3500 yards, in about 55 min

I went to the gym without a real idea, then suddenly thought of this, and it worked out really well. I sometimes either get into the main set too soon, or waste too much time with warm-ups when I swim solo, but this gave a good balance.

with my Statue of Liberty Swim (http://www.nycswim.org/Event/Event.aspx?Event_ID=2204) on Friday, I figured I should do a longish swim for time. the swim is only 1200m, but with a mix of with and against current. I'm ok with my time, not my fastest (I've gone around 4:50 before, in team workouts in decent pools), and considering running today/biking yesterday, my legs were far from fresh.

speaking of fresh legs, I really felt them on the next Oreo set. on the 2nd breast leg I suddenly felt like, "what they heck happened to my legs?"

after that feeling, I knew that for my final fast swims if I didn't start with breast it wouldn't happen. initially I was just going to do 50 breast/50 free, but then I thought I should do more prep for Friday.

anyway overall a decent swim. I was glad I grabbed the lap lane, there was a family in the open area, and I'd rather not have to deal with others if I don't have to.

I'm planning a very rare Monday AM spin tomorrow. I was going to rent a bike and ride in NYC, but packing my stuff and finding the time to actually ride will be a challenge (together with everything else we have planned). so I'll go 8 days without riding, but I can live with that. I'll just do another solo gym swim later tomorrow.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Running , Cycling
  3. Friday 06222012 workouts

by , June 23rd, 2012 at 01:55 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    went up to Mesa-Kino for the AM masters swim workout
    we were in the main pool (LCM)
    Paul was coaching
    (Laura had a sprint group in the diving well SCY)

got in 300 w/u

4 x 50 @ 1:00, desc 1-4
    200 easy/stretch out

2 x 50 @ :45
    200 easy/stretch out

200 @ 3:00
    4 x 50 @ :50

400, build each 100

100 easy kick
    (used kickboard, no fins)

put on fins + paddles

4 x 50 @ 1:10, desc 1-4

100 long and smooth

100 @ 1:30
    2 x 50 @ 1:00

200 for time (went 2:32, with fins + paddles)

100 easy kick (kept the fins on, ditched the paddles and did easy kick on my back)

100 fast, 5 sec between swimmers, try to catch person in front of you

200 w/d

TTL: 3200m

we had a decent crowd...3 lanes of LCM with 5 per lane (plus those who chose Laura's set). and the water felt a little cooler too.

I started toward the back of the lane, for the whole first set (non equipment). felt ok, not super though. I didn't quite make the 200 in 3:00 (I think around 3:02), but that's tight for me in workout

once I put on the equipment, I was much much better. heck, that 200 I didn't even push that much and cut 30 sec off the time. yea much of that is just the equipment, but it still feels good to go fast.

that last 100 was supposed to be that you catch the person in front, they go to the back of the lane, then try to catch the person in front. only my lane seemed to push things just enough to get draft, but not overtake (I know that's what I did).

I left work late, wasn't really feeling like going to the gym, but went anyway...

Tmill: 23 min, 303 cal, 2.65 miles, avg 6.9 mph
    2 min warmup
    Start at 6.8 mph, increase to 7.8 mph
    1 min warmdown

Planks w forearms on roller: 2 x 2:00
    Side planks: 3:00

anyway, I struggled to do the treadmill, decided to just call it at 2.5 miles. I moved over to the stretching area, saw my friend Sean and ended up chatting for a while. eventually I did the foam roller and some planks...but by that point it was getting late, and I lost motivation to continue, so I headed in the pool.

I went in the pool and did a 400m. started out nice and easy, built it, then the last 100 was easy again.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Running
  4. Tues-Wed 0619-06202012 workouts

by , June 21st, 2012 at 01:19 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    went out for a little spin yesterday before work:

Home to 40th St/Pecos & Wild Horse Pass 36.73 mi 01:54 19.3mph pace

Just a short solo ride for me this morning. Have a bunch of meetings so didn't have as much time. Left home headed west to an odd headwind (usually winds are from the east in the morning). The nice thing was I was nice and fresh so it didn't bother me as much. Did my usual QC ride out toward Ahwatukee, up to 40th St/Pecos, then swung by the Sheraton Wild Horse Pass on the return. I had a nice tailwind on QC for the return, which made that earlier headwind all that much better. Odd, this was my shortest ride in weeks...yet just a few months ago this would have been long for me.
    http://app.strava.com/rides/11198203

I was planning to swim the 6pm workout at Kino last night, but received an email during the day that a pipe burst there and all workouts were canceled. I briefly considered dropping in with Sun Devil Masters or PHX Swim Club, but didn't want to deal with that. I thought of going to the gym... but just ended up skipping.
    it actually felt really nice. we watched the latest True Blood, and I was in bed by 9:30, probably earlier.
    I slept so well, and felt like I could have slept even later when my alarm went off.

went up to Mesa-Skyline this morning for the AM masters swim workout
    we were in the main pool (SCY)
    Tony was coaching

got in 500 w/u choice

transition set:
    6 x 50 @ 1:00, desc 1-3/4-6

main sets:
    10 x 50 @ :50
    6 x 50 @ :20 rest drill
    10 x 50 @ 1:00 stroke (did breast)
    11 x 50 @ :45 (we goofed and did an extra)

200 w/d

TTL: 3450 yards

Skyline was super crowded! Kino was still closed due to the burst pipe, and all of the kids groups were over at Skyline.
    a few of the usual Kino masters came over, but it really wasn't too bad. I think we had 5 or 6 lanes (25 yard lanes), with 3 per lane.
    water temp wasn't too bad either. I'd guess 81 or 82; still warmer than I'd like, but cooler than it was Monday.

initially when Tony gave the set I wasn't too happy. don't know why, but I was all in the mood for 200s today. but once I got into it, the set went pretty well.

after another busy day at work, I headed down to a Toastmasters meeting. then after that, I just went to the Chandler 24 Hour Fitness:

Tmill: 28 min, 376 cal, 3.29 miles, avg 7.0 mph
    2 min warmup
    Start at 6.8 mph and increase .1 mph per 3 min to 17 min
    Then increase .1 per min, to 8.2 mph
    1 min warmdown

Leg rolling: 4 min
    Plank w forearms on roller: 2 x 1:45
    Flutter kicks on Bosu ball: 3 x 30

Incline bench: 1 x 15 x 45 (empty bar), 2 x 12 x 115, 2 x 8 x 135

Triceps standing rope pulldowns: 1 x 15 x 50, 2 x 12 x 60, 2 x 8 x 70

Dumbbell chest fly on decline bench: 1 x 15 x 45's, 1 x 12 x 50's, 1 x 10 x 55's, 2 x 8 x 60's

Leg raises on captain's chair: 3 x 15

the gym really wasn't too crowded, and the temp inside wasn't nearly as warm as I remember from the last time I worked out there (non-swimming).
    yea running on the tmill gets me all drenched, but I think that would happen even if the temp were 5 degrees cooler. as with swimming, I'd prefer cooler temps for running...but I'll take what I'm given.

that said, after going to Lifetime last week, this gym really didn't seem as bad as I remembered. yea the locker rooms are basic, but the weights, cardio, and stretching areas are all on-par.

I felt really good running. maybe I'm finally getting over my non-running mood. again had some good music to help me through. so the treadmills weren't even half full, yet a guy had to go on the one right next to me.

felt good on weights also. I could have pushed things even more...I used to dislike incline bench, but that felt better than my last decline session. and I felt good all the way through the flys.
  5. Monday 06182012 workouts

by , June 19th, 2012 at 02:12 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    went up to Mesa-Skyline for the AM masters swim workout
    Paul was coaching

got in 400 w/u

400 done 25 scull or drill/75 swim
    4 x 100 @ 20 rest
    4 x 50 @ 1:00, desc 1-4

4 x 100 pull @ 1:20
    4 x 50 pull @ 1:00 odds back/evens breast
    8 x 25 pull @ :30 no breath

8 x 50 kick @ :20 rest, fins/no board
    16 x 25 power kick @ :30

400, 25 stroke/75 free

100 w/d

TTL: 3500 yards

I got there and most of the facility was empty. I saw Paul and some guys putting in lane lines, when I saw SCY I was a bit miffed. I guess the kids group is off or at a meet or something, so they didn't setup the pool. I said well we should have just put in some 50m lanelines. oh well, I got over it, mostly.

I don't remember the whole set, but I think this is what we did. there may have been another set.... I asked Paul after what the total was, and he said he didn't know.

we had a decent group, 20 or so, pretty big for Skyline. I split a lane with one guy, and we swam with another lane or 2. the guy who coached before was in the next lane...Paul had him swim IM when I did 4 x 100 pull. everyone else did them on 1:30, but I told this guy, "I thought I'd keep you company."

the water was definitely warm. they have 1 aerator at Skyline, it looked like it was running overnight. I haven't yet registered for Saturday's meet, and right now I'm leaning toward skipping it. with temps of 110+ this week, the water will easily be 85+, and the air temp at the meet won't be too cool either.

in the afternoon, there was a huge fire about 2 miles from my office. there was PVC pipe, gas tanks, and propane tanks. I snapped this picture from my office:

there's tons of info online here:
    http://www.azcentral.com/community/g...lding-brk.html

I was a bit worried traffic may be a mess, but I got to the gym without any issues after work.

went to the 24 Hour Fitness @ Mesa Riverview:

Tmill: 26 min, 347 cal, 3.05 miles, avg 7 mph
    2 min warmup
    Start at 6.8 mph and increase .1 every 3 min
    At 15 min increase .1 per min
    Max 8.2 mph
    A min warmdown

I wanted to get in 3 miles, and I was successful. it actually got much easier as I went through the run. the hardest for me is always the first 10 min, after that the next 10 min seems much easier. had some good music toward the end to keep me going...Kenny Loggins, Danger Zone right near the end.

Leg rolling: 5 min +

Plank w forearms on roller: 2 x 1:45
    Side planks: 3:00 done as 45 sec right, 45 sec left x 2

Pullups: 3 x 8, plus 5 sec horiz legs after each set

Biceps preacher curls: 2 x 12 x 80, 2 x 10 x 90, 2 x 8 x 100

Hammer strength front lat pulldowns: 1 x 15 x 90, 2 x 10 x 160

the gym was a bit warm, I was really dripping when I finished on the tmill.
    oh the tmill next to me was broken, but not marked. I don't know how many people got on, tried to use it, then left... just as I was finishing, a guy did that, then I said, "I'm just finishing, I just need to wipe this down." He said, "you don't need to wipe it down, I'm just going to get more on it."

anyway, I felt really strong on my biceps curls. I was going to use a machine or dumbbells...but the machine was taken and the dumbbells area looked busy. I'm sure I'll feel this, if not tomorrow definitely Wednesday.

oh amidst the activity of the fire at work, my manager called me. she's up in Salt Lake City this week. anyway, we had known that they'd be changing my reporting to someone else, and evidently that will happen tomorrow. I'm supposed to have a meeting with him and his manager tomorrow morning. I've chatted with him a bunch, been in meetings/projects with him, but haven't yet met in-person--he's in Minneapolis.
    at least I still have a job
  6. Mon PM-Tues workouts 0611-06122012

by , June 13th, 2012 at 01:14 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    went to the gym after work last night. I was able to slip out of work around 4:30, which made a HUGE difference...both in getting to the gym, and in the volume of people there. I was on the treadmill and already got in 1/2 mile by 5.

Tmill: 21 min, 268 cal, 2.35 miles, avg 6.7 mph
    2 min warmup
    Jog at 6.7 to 7.5 mph
    1 min warmdown

felt pretty decent.

Leg rolling: 5 min (quads and IT bands really sore and tight)

Plank w forearms on roller: 2 x 1:30
    Side planks: 3:00, done as 2 x (right then left) at :45 each

Various stretches and some pushups

Incline bench: 1 x 12 x 95, 2 x 8 x 135

Triceps skull crushers: 3 x 10 x 65 + 5 narrow presses after each round

Freemotion dual cable cross chest fly: 1 x 15 x 70, 1 x 12 x 80, 2 x 10 x 85, 2 x 8 x 90

My legs are really fried from my run on Saturday. I really should know better...well I do know better, but did it anyway. the foam rolling was kinda painful, but I know it is good for me. I did ice yesterday, and icing right now. hope they're back to normal soon.

this morning, I did a little warm-up spin (~15 miles) then met my friend Nick for another spin:

AM Spin around S Chandler, to 40th St/Pecos + Sheraton 47.66 mi 02:30 19.0mph pace

Did another spin with Nick this morning. I did a warm-up ~15 miles before meeting him, then we took Riggs over to Maricopa Rd, then up to 40th St/Pecos, with a stop at the Sheraton Wild Horse Pass on the way back. We split up at AZ Ave/QC, and I was going through the airport on my way home...when I got a puncture on my rear tire. I stopped to fix it, but both my CO2 tubes were empty. So I had to call for a ride back, just a mile. Oh well...at least I had a good spin before that.
    Distance: 47.66 mi
    Time: 2:30:37
    Avg Speed: 19.0 mph
    Elevation Gain: 135 ft
    http://app.strava.com/rides/10651953

I was really ticked about the flat. I thought of just walking the bike home rather than even try to deal with it, but with nicer bike shoes with cleats, I would have really trashed them. I ordered Kool Kovers today...they're supposed to make things a bit easier for walking.
    then somehow my chain got really messed up. I had a work conf call, so I dealt with the bike after that...and proceeded to get both hands, an arm, and a leg all trashed, without success. So I just put it all in my car and went to the shop (~2 miles away), and they had it back to normal in ~3 min. I wanted more spare tubes and CO2 tubes anyway.

after work today, I went up to Mesa-Kino for the PM masters swim workout.
    Jack was on deck coaching

got in about 800 w/u (I was early, and didn't really count)

16 x 25 @ :10 rest
    --odds free
    --evens stroke (I did #2 breast, #4 back, was going to vary them, but then Jack started giving me feedback so I did all the other evens backstroke)

200, broken every 50 for 20 sec
    (adjusted time 2:18)

12 x 25 backstroke @ :10 rest
    focus on long underwater dolphin kicks off the walls

200, broken every 50 for 15 sec

8 x 25 breaststroke @ :10 rest
    2 kicks per pull. focus on kicking when hands in front (and Jack had me work on my head position too)

200, broken every 50 for 10 sec

6 x 25 free @ :10 rest
    just float through them, easy, recovery...get ready for next set

200 for time (2:24)

300 easy w/d

TTL: 2950 yards

there was some sort of synchro competition going on in the diving well. the warm-up pool was open for open swim (one lane for lap swimming, the rest for splashing around), and the slides were open--maybe we'll do slide drills sometime

we had 4 lanes of the main pool--and a whopping 4 swimmers. I hadn't seen a group this small for ages. the last time I went to a PM workout, we started with 2 lanes and 8 or so per lane.
    the small group made it easy to get lots of individual feedback. I'm not opposed to doing backstroke, but I usually just don't do this much. once Jack started giving feedback, I wanted to continue so I could work on his suggestions...then he gave more.

speaking of backstroke... since I just don't do that much, I don't know how the flags work. I'd swear that one side was much closer to the wall--I jammed my fingers on the 12 x 25 set. I said something to Jack, and he said how they're strung over 50m, with no brackets holding them in place, with winds blowing them around...so I was probably right. I learned quickly with that one end, then I was stopping short on the other.

the water felt warm--I'd guess 84-85. I commented to a gal that it would be so much nicer if it were 3 degrees cooler. she said how specific that was

anyway, at least my 200s were fairly consistent (I don't remember all the splits, but they did vary from set to set). I was a hair ahead of the other guy on the first round. on the 1st 50 of round 2, he beat me by a sec, then I noticed he put fins on. that just made me want to push more...and I ended up beating him overall, and on the rest.
    I should be able to do a 200 for time in 2:18 or better...but I'm still recovering from jet lag, running foolishness, biking foolishness, and I'm sure I can make up many other excuses
  7. Monday 06112012: back to the grind

by , June 11th, 2012 at 01:25 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    thankfully the trip home on Friday was mostly without issue. the FRA-CLT flight was good, although the food was horrible (I was hungry so I ate it anyway). we arrived at CLT about 30 min early, and customs doesn't open until 1pm, so we had to wait on the plane until they were ready for us...but that gave the baggage people time to do their thing, and bags were waiting by the time we got there.
    CLT-PHX had a little delay, the pilot couldn't tell if some oil beneath an engine was from our plane or the one that had been at the gate before. thankfully it wasn't ours, but it still caused a ~15 min delay.

We got home and were greeted by Holly bounding around the house
    the people who watched her left that morning to go camping, so they dropped her off before they left. I was texting them from CLT (while waiting on the plane), so knew she'd be waiting. my other half's brother went over during the afternoon to let her out so we didn't have any mess waiting for us.

I was extremely jet lagged on Saturday. I woke up around 3am, couldn't sleep. So I went out for a run, took Holly. we did 6 miles...actually felt pretty good. I don't remember the exact pace, but I think it was around 8:35/mile. now I hadn't run in 4 weeks, and I should know better... 2-3 miles should have been my max.

so Sunday morning, again I woke up jet lagged around 4am...and quite sore from my run. I dragged myself out of bed, took Holly for a walk, then met a friend to bike. I hadn't been on my bike for 3 weeks, and initially it felt like I hadn't ever been on it.
    my last ride before the trip (the ~78 mile one), when I was about 1-2 miles from home, the chain dropped; I got it back on, but the shifting was very squirrley. so I took the bike to the shop on Sat afternoon, and they spent 10-15 min cleaning up the shifting for me. I noticed it immediately on Sunday morning, almost felt like a brand new bike again
    I rode over to meet my friend--who had just gotten off of a 12 hour overnight shift at Intel. he was pretty open to what we would do. so I suggested Ahwatukee, but we took the long way out. We got out there, did one hill, then rode to the end of Ahwatukee. my legs were feeling like cr*p, so I begged not to do the hill on the return, and we took mostly a flat ride back to Chandler.
    overall it was a decent ride. about 61 miles for me, holding an avg 18.2 mph. 6 months ago both of those would have been incredible for me, but now they're both kinda meh. but given no riding for 3 weeks, and trashed legs from running, not too horrible.
    After my ride, I took the bike back to the shop for a full tune-up. I managed to talk them into having it done tonight...but they called about 3 hours later to say it was ready. they really cleaned it up nicely (why the heck a bike comes with white tape is beyond me, but it looks nice once again...we'll see how long).

the jet lag is starting to fade, but I didn't have any problem at all waking up at 4:20 this morning for swim workout

went out to Mesa-Skyline for the team swim workout
    we had 3 lanes in the main pool (LCM)
    Paul was coaching

got in 800 w/u (was the first there, actually got there same time as Paul)

4 x 150 @ :20 rest, done as 50 drill/50 swim/50 kick

8 x 100 pull @ 2:00
    Paul had me try some Finis paddles he's testing...no straps, you put your thumb through a hole. after 2, I was really feeling it in my forearms. then another guy took them after 5, and my paddles felt like 10# blocks
    these were supposed to be hypoxic or snorkle; I breathed about every 5-6 (snuck in a couple 2-3 strokes)

4 x 100 kick @ :20 rest
    no board, I did these on my back. focus was on long pushoffs off of walls

8 x 50
    odds: freestyle @ :50
    evens: stroke (breast) @ 1:10

300 w/d
    there were some Turtles (kind of like paddles with straps, but curvy things), did 100 with them
    then 200, mixing in a 50 breast

TTL: 3300m (LCM)

I commented several times how this was the most crowded I had ever seen Skyline. now with the summer leagues going, there were kids in 5 lanes of the main pool, diving well, and the warm-up pool.
    we had 3 lanes, with I think 5-6 in each (a far cry from a few weeks ago when I had my own 50m lane).

I tried to scan through the multitude of emails Paul had sent over the past few weeks. essentially Skyline will be LCM every morning (they're adding in Tues/Thurs AM workouts), and Kino just on Tues/Fri mornings. So I guess I'll swim at Skyline on Mon-Wed, then Kino on Fridays. I have no idea about the others...probably Kino Tues PM.

Paul also had a bunch of Finis goggles he wanted us to test. now I'm very particular about goggles...I've been wearing TYR Raceteck for years (10-15), and I prefer the metallized version. But I thought I'd give these a shot. only they all had a fixed nosebridge between the eye sockets, and all were way too small (either that or I have a big head). so I put my Raceteck back on
    (others also commented on the bridge size on the goggles, not sure if anyone was able to successfully use them)

we have a meet on 6/23 that I'll probably do. I'd like to see if I can match my 1500m time from last year, hopefully beat it. I may mix things up a little and do the 400m free, haven't done that LCM for 10+ years.

oh, and I decided that 3 weeks off the bike was too much. I'm making arrangements to rent a bike in both NYC and Houston for trips in a few weeks.

along with my Liberty Island swim in NYC, I'll probably head out to Brighton for an o/w swim, then hit one of the TNYA workouts at John Jay once too (it really helps connecting with locals who can fill you in on swimming in NYC ) I was thinking of trying to get to the Woodlands pool near Houston (I'll be staying up in that area), but for just a weekend, and doing family stuff, a spin on the bike will probably be cutting things close.
    Categories
  8. Thursday 05172012: AM Run & PM Pool Tourism

by , May 18th, 2012 at 01:41 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    went out for a little run this morning:

Paseo Trail, Loop 202 to Tibshraeny Park 4.39 mi 00:36 08:18 pace

It had been so long since I've run outside that it took me a minute to figure out how to change my Garmin GPS from cycling to running mode. I tried to use nearly any excuse not to run, and nearly just went to Hamilton to swim... But I went out for a solo run along the canal near home (despite Holly giving me her sad eyes as I left). Once I got started, it really wasn't so bad, and I actually felt like I could have gone further. Just ran up to the park at Chandler/Cooper, took a quick pit stop, then came back. I felt ok, so I did a little sprint down past the freeway, then back up to the canal footbridge to finish. Weather seemed nice, around 75F (at 6am), a little breeze (felt good running, it would have felt worse riding). Mile splits: 8:34, 8:21, 8:38, 8:06, 7:15.
    Distance: 4.39 mi
    Time: 36:29
    Avg Pace: 8:19 min/mi
    Elevation Gain: 8 ft
    Calories: 586 C
    http://app.strava.com/runs/8720873

I guess I have enough of a running base built up that I can take off a while and still come back. after my disappointing try at cycling sprints last night, this really made me feel better

the thing I really missed about not running outside was the feeling of the wind blowing against me, listening to music, and just getting away from the fray for a while. that just doesn't happen on a gym treadmill.

I had grand plans to do a recovery ride on my cyclocross bike over to the pool for a swim tonight. then reality set in, my legs got heavy, I checked the weather report...and woke up to the reality that while I could make it there in daylight, the ride back would be in the dark. so it was a drive over and back from the pool

went over to Chandler-Mesquite Groves Aquatic Center for the PM lap swim:
    http://www.chandleraz.gov/default.aspx?pageid=733

600 w/u various

6 x 100 kick @ 1:50 w/fins + board

100 easy kick, board only (no interval)

3 x 200 pull @ 2:40 w/paddles + buoy

100 easy

100 IM (from push, 1:23ish)

100 easy

50 fast free (from push, :32)

200 w/d

TTL: 2450 yards

I was worried that the pool would be crowded, I heard it gets very busy. so I got there right when lap swim started, and got my very own lane, even one in the middle of the pool. I had it until the very end. just when I was about to push off for the fast 50 free, a guy asked if he could come in.

I had been in this pool before, but I don't remember exactly when. the entire facility is pretty new, I think it has only been open for 3-4 years. similar to Hamilton pool...it also serves Chandler's Basha HS. I think the main competition pool has 10 lanes, and it had a decent depth.

anyway, I ended up feeling ok...not great, but not as bad as I could have. the pull set really gave me a nice little chance to recover. then I decided to do a few timed swims.

so now I have 3 City of Chandler pools down, 3 more to go. I've been to one of those left (Desert Oasis), but again it was a long time ago (I think in 2002).
    Oddly, the 2 I've never been to are the closest to where I live. One is about 2 miles from home.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Running
  9. Monday 05142012: smoky AM swim & PM gym

by , May 15th, 2012 at 01:27 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    went up to Mesa-Skyline for the AM masters swim workout
    Paul was coaching

(I had my very own 50m lane to myself!)

100 w/u

10 x 50 @ :20 rest
    --odds various drills/skulls
    --evens various kicks

300 swim, focus on low stroke count (goal 35, actual 36-38)

10 x 50 @ :50, "to get the blood flowing"

300 pull w/buoy + paddles, again with a focus on low stroke count (actual was about 33-34)

10 x 50 kick @ 1:00, w/fins + board (well last 2 I did back no board)

300 swim w/fins + paddles. fast w/low stroke count (was around 32)

6 x 50 @ 1:05, long and minimal breaths

200 w/d

TTL: 3000m

due to the wildfire just north of Mesa, it was very smoky...especially out near Skyline. you could smell the smoke. it got quite hazy from all the smoke (and whatever LA gives us in the air) during the day.

this was a good shake-out swim. other than the 50s on 50, and maybe the breath control, nothing was overly difficult.

water was nice, clear, and cool...just the way I like it. I had a guy to swim with. Paul asked why I was out at Skyline and I said, "it is hard to pass up having my own 50m lane."

after work I went over to the 24 Hour Fitness @ Mesa-Riverview:

Tmill: 26 min, 342 cal, 3.01 miles, avg 6.9 mph
    2 min warmup
    3 min at 6.8-6.9
    1 min regroup
    3 min at 7.0-7.2
    1 min at 7.3 to 8.2
    1 min warmdown

Leg rolling: f5 min
    Plank w forearms on roller: 2 x 1:50
    Side plank: 3:00 done as a continuous 4 x 45 right/left (x2)

Biceps preacher curls: 3 x 12 x 85, 2 x 9 x 95

Hammer strength front lat pulldowns: 1 x 15 x 90, 2 x 12 x 140, 1 x 9 x 160

while on the tmill, I got a very sudden, and very SHARP pain in my left ankle. so much that I took that minute to regroup. after a few sec the pain went away. I went back to run/jog mode, and was fine the rest of the time.

I felt pretty good for everything else. just didn't have much time, so did my leg rolling, planks, and a very short weights set.
  10. Friday 05112012, AM Swim & PM Gym

by , May 12th, 2012 at 01:47 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    we were in the main pool (but moved around a bit), LCM
    Paul and Laura coached, I was with Paul's group

got in 300 w/u various

800 w/fins done as--
    50 fast stroke (did back)
    150 long and smooth

4 x 100 kick @ :15 rest IMO
    (I used fins for fly & back)

600 w/fins done as--
    100 fast (did IM)
    100 long and smooth

4 x 100 power kick @ :20 rest (with fins)

400 w/fins + paddles--all FAST

4 x 100 kick @ :15 rest IMO
    (I used fins for fly & back)

200 FAST for time (from a push, did free 2:51)

200 w/d

TTL: 3700m

hmm where to begin?
    it was definitely a fins day, frying the legs, even more than my legs already were fried from biking this week.

either I took the 50 fast back too fast and the ez free too easy from the 800 or others didn't do the set right.

those power kicks were just killer. Paul specifically told me to shoot for 30+m, but I think I was lucky to do 20m. once you surfaced, it was easy swim to the other wall. this is really tough, especially LCM

by the time I got to the 200 fast at the end, Paul moved me over to the lane with Shawna, who was just finishing up. I hoped that maybe she left some speed behind in the lane for me, but alas she took it with her when she got out.
    he told me my split was 1:22, which is quite horrible. my legs were completely shot by that point. the odd thing is, I thought I was conservative with my first 100.

today is my Mom's 80th Birthday!
    so I called her while enroute to the gym after work, and chatted a little after I got there. my brothers are going in and taking her to Top of the 80s Restaurant tomorrow. the place is named because it is right where the I-81 and I-80 meet, but they felt it would be appropriate for her 80th birthday too.

anyway, I made it to the gym after work, 24 Hour Fitness @ Mesa Riverview:

Tmill: 28 min, 377 cal, 3.30 miles, avg 7.0 mph. Same as Wed--
    2 min warmup to 4.5
    Jog at 6.8, increase every 3 min to 14 min
    Increase .1 every 1 min to 8
    Hold 8 for 3 min
    8.1-8.2 for 1 min each
    1 min cool down

Leg rolling: 5+ min

Ladder drills: 3 rounds of--
    Forward
    Side (switch then back)
    Out + in

Step ups forward: 2 x 10 each leg
    Step ups lateral: 2 x 10 each leg
    Box jumps: 3 x 8

Hanging leg raises from pullup bars: 4 x 8

Incline bench: 3 x 10 x 135, 1 x 6 x 155

Univ machine triceps rope pulldowns: 1 x 12 x 50, 2 x 10 x 60, 2 x 8 x 70

Free motion dual cable cross chest fly: 1 x 15 x 70, 1 x 12 x 80, 2 x 10 x 85, 2 x 8 x 90

this was one of my best runs in months. also one of the longer in a while. I think it will put me at 10 miles of running for the week. quite paltry compared with what I was doing a year ago, but I certainly wasn't biking 100+ miles a week then either.

the gym wasn't too busy, so I took advantage of the open floor in the stretching area to do the ladder drills.

I nearly went right into my mega plank routine after leg rolling, but I thought that may be too much core, so I held off and just did those hanging leg raises. they certainly fry your abs, in a short amount of time. I'm not sure if it is better to do that before chest or after though...

after lifting, I did an easy 300m swim (SCM) in the gym pool.

so 2 guys (plus another I haven't met yet) who I've biked with wanted me to join them tomorrow for a ride on the AZ 87/Beeline (the AZ Ironman bike course). there was a flurry of email exchanges, mentioning 2-3 loops, a run after, etc. the more I thought about it, the more I just decided I didn't want to go. no real reason, but I'm just not feeling it. since I don't have any set cycling events lined up (I do have a couple tentative, but not until Oct), I thought why force myself to do something I don't want to, and risk injury?
    If I wake up and feel like it, maybe I'll do a short run with Holly tomorrow morning. with leaving for London soon, I should get my running somewhat comfortable if I want to run there. and Holly will be staying with people who run with dogs...
    instead of doing a forced ride tomorrow, I'll probably ride over to Ahwatukee on Sunday. I only need 25 miles to hit my weekly 100 mile goal.
  11. Wednesday 05092012: Timed 1500m :)

by , May 9th, 2012 at 01:16 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    Paul & Laura were coaching
    Paul's group was in the main pool (LCM), Laura's group in the warm-up pool (SCY)

got in 300 w/u choice

16 x 50--
    * odds @ :50
    * evens @ 1:00
    (did them all free and tried to hold same times)

100 easy kick

8 x 50--
    * odds @ 1:00 (did free)
    * evens @ 1:10 (did breast)

1500m for time (22:19)

300 w/d (did 200 kick w/fins, 100 easy swim with fins)

TTL: 3400m

so the reason for the 1500m...
    over the weekend I was reviewing my emails and the NYC Swim website for my upcoming Statue of Liberty Swim. Now if last year's Governor's Island Swim hadn't gotten canceled (the night before), I would have been able to do this year's swim without any qualifyier. But since it was canceled, it is like starting over. So I needed a timed 1500m (or 1650 yards) in under 35 min.
    I emailed Paul and Laura over the weekend to see if this would be something I could do with the team, preferably LCM. I offered to come early/stay late, even come at another time, whatever worked. After workout on Monday, Paul said he would incorporate it into a workout, either today or Friday.

now of course had I known I would be doing it today, I probably wouldn't have pushed a 40 mile cycling jaunt yesterday (holding 19.5+ mph is a new concept for me), and I more than likely would have skipped swimming last night. but such is life. sometimes the element of surprise is better.

evidently Paul told everyone at workout--except me--what was in store for them. I had no idea what we were doing until after those 8 x 50's. I was expecting 100 easy, certainly not right into a timed 1500m. when Paul gave the set, he told everyone it was courtesy of me, and asked me what time I needed to have it in. when I told him under 35 min, he said, "If Tim doesn't go under 25 min, he's buying everyone a Starbucks." so that was my goal for today

so as to that 'surprise' 1500m (reminds me of pop quizzes we used to have in school)...
    Paul reset the clock so we started on 0:00, and I had a clear view of the clock. it was just a push start, and I tried to keep my pace under 1:30 per 100m...and seemed successful at it. Paul had my splits written down and said #1 was about 1:23, the others were 1:29/1:30, and my last was 1:25.

at the LCM meet I did last July at Skyline I did a 1500m (as the first event) in 22:07. If I remember correctly, our Friday workout was a little light, and I skipped the gym Friday night. so no huge taper, but not quite a workout swim either, which is what I'd classify today as.

so now I should figure out a goal for a 1500m for our next meet. I'm thinking I should be able to go under 22 (that's 1:28 per 100m).

oh and as I left, I told Paul, "I don't really care about my time for Liberty Island, it is more to say I swam around the Statue of Liberty." but the more I think about it, the more I'm sure I'll have a goal time. The last I checked, there were 330 people registered for the 250 spots, so I want to make sure I secure my spot (I registered back in December, right after registration opened).

Depending how things go with Liberty Island, I'm pondering the thought of doing the Little Red Lighthouse Swim
    (would be much easier if swimsuit addict also does it )

I had a couple of surprises at work--

in the morning when our mail came, a co-worker sent me this bike jersey:

late in the day a big storm rolled in:

this despite the forecast calling for, "10% chance of blowing dust."
    oddly, I don't think I saw any blowing dust. I did however see plenty of rain, trees nearly blowing over from the wind, and a little bit of hail.

after I left work, braved the storm and went to the gym, 24 Hour Fitness @ Mesa Riverview:

Tmill: 25 min, 329 cal, 2.89 miles, avg 6.9 mph
    2 min warmup, 3.7 to 4.5
    Jump to 6.8, increase .1 to 7.2
    Increase .1 to 8.0 a min each
    8.1/8.2 for 30 sec
    1 min warmdown

Plank w forearms on roller: 2 x 2:00, a new PB
    Side plank: 3:00, done as 4 x 45 (2 right, 2 left), finished w 5 pushups and hold for 10 sec

Pullups: 4 x 8, 5 sec horizontal legs after each round

Hammer strength biceps curl: 1 x 15 x 45, 1 x 12 x 70, 1 x 10 x 80, 2 x 8 x 90

Hammer strength seated row: 1 x 15 x 90, 2 x 12 x 140, 2 x 10 x 160

it was basically the same treadmill run as Mon, but I held 8.0 for a min, then 8.1 for 30, 8.2 for 30.

I had a late start, ran a little longer (almost didn't want to do anything else).

was going to do the HS biceps machine one-arm, but it didn't seem too suited for that, the arm really wavered so I just went back to 2 arms.

while I was doing the seated row, there was a guy next to me doing leg presses. he did a set with 6 plates on each side...540#, and he said his max was 720

Updated May 10th, 2012 at 01:47 AM by aztimm

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Running
  12. Friday 04272012 AM Swim & PM Gym

by , April 28th, 2012 at 01:29 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    Paul & Laura were coaching
    went with Paul's group in the main pool LCM (Laura's group was in the diving well SCY)

200 w/u

100 fast, broken at the 50 for :15
    300 easy

2 x 100 fast @ 2:30, broken at the 50 for :15
    200 easy

3 x 100 fast @ 2:30, broken at the 50 for :15
    100 easy

the following sets all w/fins:
    300 fast @ 5:00
    50 kick w/board

2 x 300 fast @ 5:00
    2 x 50 kick (did them on back)

3 x 300 fast @ 5:00
    (we ran out of time)

warm-down:
    50 easy kick (to get to the other side to leave my fins)
    100 easy swim

TTL: 3500m

after yesterday's rain, the water felt a bit brisk when we first got in. but certainly by the time I got out it felt like it still could have been cooler
    swam in a lane with 2 others, and led the whole time.

the set of 300s seemed endless. I held around 4:25 on them though, which isn't too bad.

after work I went over to the gym and did the following:

Tmill: 22 min, 283 cal, 2.48 miles, 6.7 mph
    2 min warmup
    Jog at 6.8 to 7.8 mph
    1 min warmdown

Plank w forearms on roller: 2 x 1:40
    Side plank: 4 x :45 done as 2 right/2 left, continuous

Pullups: 4 x 8 + 5 sec horizontal legs on last of each set

Univ machine standing biceps curls: 1 x 15 x 80, 1 x 12 x 100, 2 x 10 x 110, 2 x 8 x 120

Univ machine seated row: 1 x 15 x 90, 2 x 10 x 135, 1 x 8 x 150

Life fitness biceps curl (single arm): 1 x 15 x 50, 2 x 9 x 65

Star trak rear delt machine: 1 x 15 x 60, 1 x 12 x 75, 2 x 10 x 90, 2 x 8 x 105

my legs seemed rather trashed from riding and I was concerned with running at all. but once I got on the treadmill and moving, I felt fine, and actually felt really great as the run progressed. this was one of my more speedy runs. but really for 2-1/2 miles....it isn't much to speak of.
    weights were mostly just a stretch-out, really tried not to push too much.
    I hadn't used the rear delt machine for a long time, and that first round (very light weight) really hurt. I guess being hunched over on my bike got everything all tight. it took 2-3 rounds to really open up my back, and I'm glad I pressed on. definitely have to do this one regularly.

after I finished in the gym, I changed and did an easy 300 stretch-out swim in the pool (SCM). nothing fast, maybe a 1:45/100 pace.
  13. Wednesday 04252012 AM LCM Swim & PM Gym

by , April 26th, 2012 at 01:46 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    went to Mesa-Kino for the AM masters swim workout
    Paul & Laura were coaching, I went with Paul's group in the main pool LCM (Laura's group was in the warm-up pool SCY)

300 w/u

8 x 50 @ 1:00

400 cruise

8 x 100 @ 1:45

400 cruise

8 x 50 @ :50 swim w/fins

400 cruise w/fins + paddles

400 kick (I kept the fins on, did 100 free/50 fly/100 free/50 fly w/board, then 100 back no board)

200 w/d

TTL: 3700m

we had a pretty light group today, just 3 in my lane and I went 2nd most of the time (I did stop at one point and went 3rd briefly)
    I kept thinking the set would get more intense, but it didn't really. either that, or I'm used to LCM. 50s on 1:00 really isn't too tough, on :50 can be a challenge, but not really with equipment.
    for the 100s, I tried to hold 1:25, getting 20s rest, and mostly was able to. I think when I did my 1500m last summer I held around a 1:27/100m pace

after work, I finally made my way to the gym

Tmill: 21 min, 266 cal, 2.33 miles, avg 6.6 mph
    2 min warmup
    Start at 6.8 mph, increase to 7.6 mph
    1 min warmdown

Leg rolling: 6 min
    Side plank: 4 x :45, 2 right/2 left, continuous

Decline bench: 1 x 15 x 95, 2 x 10 x 135, 2 x 6 x 155

Triceps skull crushers: 3 x 10 x 70 + 5

Freemotion dual cable cross chest fly: 1 x 15 x 70, 1 x 12 x 80, 2 x 10 x 85, 2 x 8 x 90

Univ machine triceps rope pulldowns: 1 x 12 x 50, 2 x 10 x 60, 1 x 8 x 70

Hanging leg raises from univ machine Pullup bars: 3 x 10

right as I was walking in, I bumped into my friend Sean. he was stretching then would do weights. I told him that I could lift with him, but then I'd never run...so he told me to run and he'd do weights on his own.
    I really wasn't in the mood to run, but put on my headphones, and my long run playlist...first song was Madonna's, "Vogue," then Nine Inch Nails, "Head Like a Hole," both fantastic songs to run to. Oddly, while I was doing my leg raises another NIN song, "Closer," played (I just continue the same playlist while I lift).

while I wanted to lift, I really didn't want to push anything too much. I hadn't done a chest/triceps day for around 2 weeks, and have no idea when I had last done decline bench. I usually like that, but today it just never felt comfortable. the other stuff felt fine, oddly the triceps rope pulldowns felt rather strong (especially considering they were last).
    those hanging leg raises felt pretty good too. yea I could have done sets of 12, and I'll probably bump up next time.

Good luck to everyone going to Nationals! I'm sure we'll see many records broken.
  14. Friday 04202012, AM Swim & PM Gym

by , April 21st, 2012 at 01:36 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    Paul was on deck coaching (Laura had a group in the small pool SCY)

got in 200 w/u

IM progression, each 50 @ 1:10:
    1 x 50 fly (did drill)
    2 x 50 back
    3 x 50 breast
    4 x 50 free
    100 kick (used just board)

100 fast (1:20ish)
    300 fast, close to each other (drafting)
    100 kick (used board + fins)

100 fast (1:19)
    300 fast, more drafting
    100 easy kick
    100 easy swim

here we split the lanes in half, with 2 going to each side...
    600 team pursuit, trying to catch the other half of the lane, changing position every 100 (with fins)
    200 easy kick

100 FAST from blocks for time (1:16)

200 w/d

TTL: 2900m

this was definitely a different kind of workout.

in addition to what I typed above, Paul wanted us to switch positions (first-->last, last-->first) for each set. since I went 3rd (we started with 5 in the lane), it didn't really matter

the split team pursuit was kinda fun, only the other team in our lane didn't play by the rules, they didn't swap out every 100. the faster guy was at least 25m ahead of the other when he caught the gal I was swimming with.

was really surprised to get a 100 off the blocks. I hadn't done a block start for a while...we hadn't had blocks in while all the synchro stuff was going on.

had an exceptionally busy day at work. my company's CEO was in town for a town hall meeting in downtown Phoenix, so I went to that. the people planning it were short staffed with helpers, so I ended up manning a door. it wasn't too bad, I got to see many people I hadn't seen in a while.
    it was interesting how some people were dressed. as listed on the invite, business attire was requested. I don't know where shorts, sneakers, sandals, and the like fit into business attire... heck even I wore a suit.
    after popping in Tempe for a haircut on my way to the office, I had a firedrill from my boss to take care of much of the remainder of the day.

after work I managed to find my way to the gym. for some reason I couldn't find it for at least the last week...
    went to the 24 Hour Fitness @ Dobson/8th St in Mesa:

Tmill: 21 min, 263 cal, 2.3 miles
    2 min warmup
    Jog at 6.7, build to 7.6 mph
    1 min warmdown

Side plank: 2:40, done as twice right/left @ :40 each

Pullups: 4 x 8, holding legs horizontal for 5 sec after each

Biceps preacher curls: 1 x 15 x 75, 2 x 12 x 85, 2 x 8 x 95

Hammer strength high row: 1 x 20 x 90, 2 x 12 x 180, 2 x 8 x 230

Biceps single arm standing dumbbell hammer curls: 2 x 12 x 37.5's, 2 x 8 x 42.5's

along with no gym in a while, I hadn't run in over 2 weeks. I really wasn't wanting to do it, but figured if I didn't today, it would be even more difficult the next time I try. last year at this time I was running like crazy...

otherwise, I used to prefer my chest/triceps day at the gym, but my back/biceps day has really grown on me. I felt super fresh (of course since I hadn't lifted for a while), and felt like I could have done much more of everything. of course I'll probably really feel this in 2 days.

after all that, I went in the gym pool for an easy 300 SCM warmdown (I didn't even attempt anything near fast or race pace).

I was reviewing my training calendar, and my last day off with no exercise was Wednesday March 7. I think this is the longest I've gone with doing something every day. well that's going to change...I'm giving myself a day off tomorrow. just a walk with Holly, usual cleaning, weekly ironing, church, dinner, and errands.
    then Sunday is going to be a big training day. I'm meeting a friend at Saguaro Lake early Sunday morning. I wanted to do a bike-swim, but he's training for Ironman AZ so wants to do a swim-bike to practice, and I think we'll end up with a swim-bike-swim. I may take some running stuff and even do a swim-bike-run-swim if I'm feeling good, and my legs aren't trashed enough from biking (there will be some major hills, with names like Godzilla and King Kong).
    water temp there is around 75 now, which should be about perfect!

oh and for the first time in almost 3 months, today when I entered my swimming distance in my flog, I finally had good news:
    Goal: 152.05 miles
    Actual: 152.43 miles
    that will go negative tomorrow, and I'm not sure how much I'll get in Sunday (at most 4 miles). but hopefully I'll build up a little kitty next week.
  15. Thursday 04052012, AM Track + Swim

by , April 5th, 2012 at 12:28 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    had a nice little back-to-back double workout this morning--

Chandler Hamilton HS track 3.02 mi 00:25 08:26 pace

Met up with Carl C K. at the Hamilton High School track here in Chandler for a little run. I hadn't run outside since my last injury in late Jan (I had done some gym treadmill runs), and had no idea how I'd feel. Although I've swum at the nearby pool, I had never been on the track before and was pleasantly surprised--it had a nice spring to it, but not overly soft. Did about 4-5 laps of an easy jog, then did my laps with mostly easy with a faster ~100m on the straightway, about 6-8x. Then just did an easy 2 laps. The only downside was the big lights weren't on, it was a little dark at first (5:30), but plenty light when we finished.
    Distance: 3.02 mi
    Time: 25:31
    Avg Pace: 8:28 min/mi
    Elevation Gain: 0 ft
    Calories: 404 C
    Avg Pace: 8:28 min/mi
    Avg Moving Pace: 8:24 min/mi
    Best Pace: 6:58 min/mi
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/164948783

then after that, we went to the pool, right next door (super convenient). here's what I did--

warm-up set (all continuous):
    200 free
    50 breast
    3 x (75 free/25 breast)
    50 free
    (600)

kick set:
    6 x 50 @ 1:15, board only (some intervals weren't quite that as I chatted a bit)
    6 x 50 @ :55, fins + board
    (600)

100 easy

main set 1:
    5 x 200 @ 3:00, descend 1-5 (went from 2:45 down to 2:33. Carl did 150s, and my goal was to out-touch him on the last )
    (1000)

100 easy

main set 2:
    6 x 50 breast @ 1:00, descend 1-3, 4-6 (went 45 down to 42, 44 down to 40, Carl did free with me)
    (300)

100 easy

pull set (solo):
    10 x 100 @ 1:20 (mostly just cruised these, pushed the last few for some 1:12 or faster)
    (1000)

200 w/d various

TTL: 4000 yards

pool was pretty busy, but there was an open lane when we got there. we shared very briefly, then a woman on the side got out, and I quickly moved over. good thing, as for a while several lanes had 2, but we both managed to survive solo

I always like swimming with others, and in the past Carl and I had done the 200/150 combo, and it worked well again today for timing. I was going to do pull after that, but seemed like Carl wanted a little more, so I suggested the 50s, and I could always use some good breaststroke sets (I really pushed to stay ahead of him).

was surprised my legs didn't feel too trashed...until that breast set. something about the whip kick, combined with running, really hits me. I had thought we may do more, but by #6 I was glad it was the last. my legs needed a break, so pulling it was, although my triceps were still feeling Monday's skull crushers.

may go out for a spin later today, depends how work goes, how I feel, and how the weather is.

South Chandler Big Loop 29.18 mi 01:42 17.2mph pace

Got out for a late day ride and did my usual Thursday loop around South Chandler. I hadn't ridden my own bike (the TriCross) since last Thursday, and I was regretting getting on it -v- the carbon bike I rode over the weekend, but it really wasn't all horrible. Weather was sunny, mid-80s, but very windy. Really noticed the winds along AZ-87 between Gilbert and Hunt. Oh, was on Gilbert riding on the shoulder...when all of a sudden I saw a pickup truck coming at me from the other direction. Kinda freaked me out, I hadn't realized there was a dashed yellow line there. Otherwise, the ride was pretty good. For the first time ever, I made every single green light on Pecos from Dobson to Cooper
    Distance: 29.18 mi
    Time: 1:41:48
    Avg Speed: 17.2 mph
    Elevation Gain: 79 ft
    Calories: 1,728 C
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/165089086

I'm sure I'll sleep well tonight

my weight is finally coming back down to a reasonable level. the odd thing is, this time around my body fat % is dropping faster than weight. maybe some of the muscle I'm getting from lifting is sticking around. I have noticed that some dress slacks are very tight in my upper legs.

Updated April 5th, 2012 at 10:10 PM by aztimm

Categories
  16. weekend workouts 0317-03182012

by , March 19th, 2012 at 12:56 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    had a fairly productive weekend for working out

Saturday:
    Pre-stormageddon ride: home to edge of Ahwatukee 50.58 mi 02:56 17.3mph pace

The weather people here are having a field day with a storm due in here tomorrow, so I did my long ride today instead. Was just planning on ~40, but hooked up with a couple I met at the Mesa Turkey Trot, we got to chatting...and before we knew it we were at the end of Pecos in Ahwatukee. I had never seen so many riders out, must have seen easily 200, maybe even 250...seemed like a party on Pecos for a while. Winds were really picking up on my way back, was glad I got home when I did.
    Distance: 50.58 mi
    Time: 2:55:56
    Avg Speed: 17.2 mph
    Elevation Gain: 338 ft
    Calories: 3,085 C
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/158764109

after I reviewed my Garmin data, it turned out that this was my longest ride to date, by .01 miles
    then got into a discussion on dailymile about how this would compare with running...probably about a 20 mile run.

Sunday:

went to the gym, for a tmill run then went to the pool:

Tmill: 30 min, 384 cal, 3.35 miles, avg 6.7 mph
    2 min warmup
    Jumped to 6.7 mph, for a mile, 6.8-6.9 about 1/2 mile each. Last 1/2 mile build to 7.7 mph
    1 min warmdown

this was my longest run since November!!

then went in the pool--

600 w/u

10 x 50 kick @ :10 rest
    --4 w/board only
    --6 with fins + board

main 1: about :30 rest after each
    500 swim, done 75 moderate/25 fast (finished around 6:48)
    400 pull, done 75 free/25 back/75 free/25 breast x 2
    300 swim, done 50 moderate/25 fast (finished around 3:56)
    200 pull (same as 400)
    100 fast (1:12)

100 easy

6 x 75 @ 1:15 (estimated on the odds), 25 free/25 breast/25 free

50 breast fast (:39)

200 w/d

TTL: 3400 yards

my legs weren't as fried as I expected, considering my ride yesterday and having just run.
    I stole bits of another workout I found somewhere on the swimming blogs, not sure which.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Running
  17. Thursday 01262012 workouts

by , January 26th, 2012 at 12:18 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    went over to Chandler-Hamilton for lap swim this morning
    pool is SCY (and it was quite warm)

did 700 w/u, done--
    300 free
    25 free/25 back/25 breast/25 free x 3
    100 free

8 x 50 kick @ 1:10, board only
    100 easy

test set--
    7 x 100 @ 1:15

100 easy
    2 x 100 kick @ 1:45 w/fins + board
    100 easy

6 x 50 @ :55 w/finger paddles
    odds back
    evens breast

100 easy

100 IM, from a push (1:20)

200 w/d

TTL: 3000 yards

water was quite warm, felt even warmer than normal. initially I thought the air was warmer, which makes the water feel warmer, but the air was around 40F.
    one thing that was different...I wore a newish drag suit. I have a couple, and the older ones are getting rather thin, and I wonder if they actually give any drag. the newer one though feels quite different, and that could have been the factor.

last week I did 6 x 100 @ 1:15 and felt ok. today I went for 7 and felt horrible. the first 3 were ok, but by 4 I missed the interval, and finished about 6 sec behind when I finished. not only that, but I felt like I was going to get sick.

I changed my plans for the rest of the workout after that...did a bit of easy stuff, and I felt a bit better. almost gave up on doing a 100 IM today, but that wouldn't work. that actually didn't feel bad. I'm definitely much slower when I have to swim a whole 25 fly (a 50 is simply painful).

after getting home and booting up my work computer, I took Holly out for a little run--

Paseo trail, home to Los Arboles 2.39 mi 00:19 07:53 pace

Took Holly (the dog) out for another little run this morning along the Consolidated Canal. It was a bit colder than I expected (upper 30s), and I was just wearing a short-sleeve shirt. But the sun made it feel warmer, and I warmed up too. Felt pretty good, and again went faster than I expected. Splits: 8:06, 7:50, 7:36.
    Distance: 2.39 mi
    Time: 18:52
    Avg Pace: 7:54 min/mi
    Elevation Gain: 4 ft
    Calories: 322 C
    Avg Pace: 7:54 min/mi
    Avg Moving Pace: 7:49 min/mi
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/144734563

I normally eat a protein bar after swimming, but given how I felt and that I was going to run, I passed on that. by the time I began, I was starving. but that went away...until we finished.
    felt pretty decent, for a short run at least. I'm in no hurry right now to get back into distance running. I'm sure it will happen, eventually.

if I can, I'll get out for an hour or so ride this afternoon. otherwise, I go to spin class.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Running
  18. Weekend 0121-01222012 workouts

by , January 23rd, 2012 at 12:25 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    I normally do a somewhat relaxing (as relaxing as can be) walk with Holly (the dog) on Saturday mornings. But now that I can run, I decided to go out for a short run yesterday instead, with Holly of course--

Paseo Trail, home to Los Arboles 2.23 mi 00:18 08:06 pace

My first run in about 2 months. On Thursday the doctor said I could run..so I took Holly (the dog) out for a little jaunt along the canal. Of course she took off when we first started, but she settled into my pace pretty quickly. It was chilly out, low 40s, a little windy, and the sun was still rising. We saw some others out, mostly running too. Overall, not a bad start I guess.Splits: 8:08, 8:10, 7:53.
    Distance: 2.23 mi
    Time: 18:06
    Avg Pace: 8:07 min/mi
    Elevation Gain: 3 ft
    Calories: 298 C
    Avg Pace: 8:07 min/mi
    Avg Moving Pace: 8:01 min/mi
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/143378835

I think Holly was quite surprised when we were walking over to the canal, then I started running. yea she took off, but not really as bad as I remember.
    my pace was a bit faster than I wanted, but I really didn't feel too bad holding that pace either, and neither did Holly.
    we saw a couple of others out running too.

then this morning, my friend Carl (who I've run and swum with with many times) picked me up and we did a cycling ride out in Ahwatukee--

Sunday AM Ahwatukee Ride with Carl 37.93 mi 02:16 16.7mph pace

Met up with Carl C K. this morning and we rode in Ahwatukee. It was pretty chilly (low 40s) when we started, but it warmed up as the sun came up. I hadn't done 'the hill' since June I think, and it wasn't as bad as I remembered, but we did it twice this morning. It is much different doing some hills than just flat riding. Was a little slower than my past rides, but not too much. Overall a great ride!
    Distance: 37.93 mi
    Time: 2:16:46
    Avg Speed: 16.6 mph
    Elevation Gain: 940 ft
    Calories: 2,174 C
    Avg Speed: 16.6 mph
    Avg Moving Speed: 16.8 mph
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/143771497

Carl and I rode together once before, right around a year ago, and I felt like I was holding him up the whole time. between that, and my general lack of riding, I avoided riding with him. toward the end of our ride today, he asked me how many miles I've ridden lately. I told him about 200 or so over the past 2 months (I just ran a Garmin report, and it is 242 miles). Anyway, he said that I'm much faster than I was then, which made me feel better.
    oh, and I broke out my new cycling jersey this morning; it was an AZ flag jersey, with matching socks of course (just plain black shorts though).

then this evening I went to the gym (just the nearby 24 Hour Fitness) for what I thought would be a recovery swim. pool is 25 yards.

600 w/u (mixed in a bit of breast)

8 x 50 kick @ 1:10, board only

100 easy

6 x 200 pull @ 2:35, buoy + large paddles

100 easy

4 x 50 breast @ :55
    4 x 50 breast w/breast fins @ :55
    4 x 50 breast w/breast fins + finger paddles @ :50

200 w/d

TTL: 3200 yards

after a mostly slow easy warm-up swim, where I threw in some breast, and loosening up my legs with some kicking, I actually felt pretty decent. I think some was due to wearing my compression tights this afternoon, with some ice packs too.
    last week I did some 200s pull @ 2:45 and I remembered feeling like I had too much rest. actually even @ 2:35 I had 5-8 sec rest today, and I was only at about 85%.
    I really liked that set of breaststroke. the only rest between each set of 4 was to add gear, maybe 20-30 sec max.
    Categories
  19. The Mesa Turkey Trot 10k

by , November 24th, 2011 at 02:26 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    I rarely post here anymore unless I have something remotely swimming related. Well I guess I do have that...

yesterday, a Facebook friend of mine, and a gal I used to swim with when I swam at Sun Devil Masters @ ASU, posted this picture on her Facebook--
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater

If you can't see it, Matt Biondi is in the area, and dropped in with their workout yesterday morning.
    Why on earth he did that, and skipped out on Mesa is beyond me

Anyway, the totally non-swimming related stuff...I did my very first 10k run this morning.
    Here's what I posted on dailymile--

The Mesa Turkey Trot 10k 6.19 mi 00:46 07:30 pace

The Mesa Turkey Trot 10k, and my first ever 10k. Yea, I've now done 3 full and 2 half marathons, but these smaller things are a whole different animal. Weather was about perfect, 55-60F, some high clouds, just a touch of sun. Got there early, found great parking across the street...waited for a port-a-john, then headed to the start. Emily found me, and we chatted until the start. No corrals, and the first 1-2 miles seemed like I was just passing people. After that, I started to settle into a decent pace, we looped around, came back to the start, and I heard the announcer say, "the turkey is just ahead, go after him." I thought he was joking, but next thing I know, I see a guy running in red tights, and a full-blown turkey outfit. Figured I'd pace off of him for a while, and did...until around 4.4 miles, then I passed him. The next mile I began to fade a little, but at 5.5 I picked things back up...then again at 6, and gave what I had left for a finish. Mile splits: 7:51, 7:16, 7:36, 7:33, 7:51, 7:09, 6:38.
    Maybe I should try a couple more of these, they don't seem quite so bad.
    and here's the usual Garmin stuff--
    Distance: 6.19 mi
    Time: 46:33
    Avg Pace: 7:31 min/mi
    Elevation Gain: 132 ft
    Calories: 835 C
    Avg Pace: 7:31 min/mi
    Avg Moving Pace: 7:27 min/mi

Official results:
    chip time: 46:25
    gun time: 46:46
    overall place: 343
    place among men: 291
    place in age group: 26
    (Urmas finished in 37:56, and even his girlfriend Tara beat me, 45:59, too bad I didn't see them beforehand as it would have been great to run with her)

other random musings--

* it was hilarious that there really was someone dressed as a turkey and running. Urmas and Tara found me after, and we all got a picture with him, and if I ever get it, I'll post it. certainly if I wore a turkey outfit, it would take me an hour + for this

* I'd swear I had more music in my, "tempo run," playlist. but it ran out somewhere around 4 miles. I considered stopping and getting more music going, but figured by that point I just had 2 miles to go. maybe that had something to do with fading around that point

* other than track workouts, I clocked some of my fastest split miles this morning. why on earth I've avoided a 10k race before is beyond me. it is about the perfect distance for me.
    but I guess before I go on about them, I should see how I feel tomorrow.

* Holly (my dog) was pretty pissed when I put on my running shoes...then left. I did take her for about a mile walk after, but it isn't quite the same.

* my goal next year is to run a 5k, 10k, half, and full marathon...all in 1 calendar year. considering I already have 2 half races planned, that should be rather reasonable. I keep telling myself I should do the Chandler Ostrich Festival 5k, and hopefully it will work next year.

Updated November 24th, 2011 at 04:48 PM by aztimm

Categories
    Running
  20. Tuesday 11222011 workouts

by , November 23rd, 2011 at 12:25 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    wasn't quite sure what I was in the mood for my run this morning, heck or what Holly was in the mood for, but we did mostly our 'usual'....

Paseo Trail, home to Paseo Vista Park 6.31 mi 00:50 07:59 pace

Into the darkness... It was pretty dark out when Holly (the dog) and I went out for our run this morning. Temps were a bit brisk, in the low 40s, and my arms are still cold. Anyway, we went along the Consolidated Canal, down to Paseo Vista park, break there, then back. I've had a weird dull pain in my left foot, but it doesn't seem to bother me too much. Mile splits: 8:09, 8:21, 8:28, 7:48, 7:48, 7:36, 7:18 (the Garmin site says my avg pace is 7:60...now that's weird). Holly goes off to be groomed today
    Distance: 6.31 mi
    Time: 50:29
    Avg Pace: 7:60 min/mi
    Elevation Gain: 7 ft
    Calories: 848 C
    Avg Pace: 7:60 min/mi
    Avg Moving Pace: 7:57 min/mi
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/130283767

I thought I broke the Garmin system when it told me my avg pace was 7:60, but when I look down at the splits on the link above, my overall average was 7:59.9...must be some quirk in their programming with rounding when it should go up to the next minute, but didn't.
    anyway, this felt good. still had the kink in my foot, but it was workable.

after work, I went up to Mesa-Kino for the 6pm masters swim workout.
    Paul was on deck coaching

(I commented to Paul that I had never seen him coach an evening workout...and that I just assumed he went to bed by 3pm)

got in 200 w/u various

16 x 25, done in 4 sets of 4--
    --easy/fast
    --fast/easy
    --all easy
    --all fast
    rounds 1-2 @ :35/25
    rounds 3-4 @ :30/25
    I did rounds 1 & 3 free, 2 & 4 breast

4 x 50 kick @ 1:10, desc 1-4
    I did kick on back w/fins

2 x 25 swim w/parachute @ :30 rest
    50 fast free for time (:29)

2 x 25 stroke w/parachute @ :30 rest (breast)
    50 fast stroke for time (breast off block, :37)

2 x 25 swim w/parachute + fins @ :30 rest
    50 fast free w/fins (:27)

2 x 25 stroke w/parachute + br fins @ :30 rest
    50 fast breast w/breast fins (:36)

2 x 25 swim w/parachute, fins, paddles @ :30 rest
    100 fast swim w/fins + paddles (my left calf cramped almost immediately, 1:03 mostly just pulling)

about 4 x 50 reverse bungee swims (easy down, fast swim back w/Paul pulling the cord)
    mixed in 4 x 50 easy swims in between

200 w/d, pulling the tarps on the pool

TTL: 2200 yards

when I saw Paul there (Jack was leaving), I knew it wouldn't be the typical Tues PM swim, and it sure wasn't. this set had Paul written all over it.
    oh, and I chatted with Paul and told him how I'm doing some of the meet in Boston in a few weeks. he thought a 5:30 400 SCM free was do-able. when I told him I was also doing the 100 IM, 200 breast, 50 fr/br, he started laughing. I told him I'd probably have to leave before the 50s, but you never know... he told me he'll work with me on my fly, and I said that I just want to legally finish the IM; a 25m fly isn't totally horrible.

since I'm racing Thurs morning, I'm going to forgo the gym tomorrow night, well treadmill and weights at least.
    I may do a swim double, go back to Kino, or go to the Tempe gym and do a solo SCM swim after work. would be nice to work on my GTD mileage; I'm about 450 YTD and I'd like to hit 500 (either way, I'm already way above where I finished last year)
    Or maybe just take the night off, go home and relax
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Running
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast