Blog Comments

Seems like a fun swim and thanks for posting the pics. Quite a temperature variation. At 42 hope you were in the water quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    One of my 16 year old senior racer kids swam yesterday and is swimming today. He said it was great fun. He was not expecting fog. I guess it's that time of year when the water is warmer than the air!
    I actually chatted with him this morning! He seems like a nice guy, and his father was kayaking for him (didn't meet him, he was already out on the water when I arrived).
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    How is the water so warm with those low temperatures? We're hitting lows around high-60s/low-70's and still going up to low-90s for our highs, but Lake Pleasant, where our OW champs are tomorrow, was 73 on Friday.

Sounds like a good and beautiful swim, though I frown on people who frown on drafting - drafting's part of the fun and strategy of OW racing.
    Our temps were high 90/low 75...until a big front passed through on Thursday, which dropped the air temps quite a bit.
    Since these are pretty large bodies of water, they take time to cool off.
    That said, this was nearly an ideal time to do these swims. The group who did Lake Buchanan on Wednesday said the water temp was about 80F.

I guess when you organize an event you can set the rules you want. Drafting or not, and any other limits you want to place. Yea it is a bit funky, but that's part of the charm of this event.
    One of my 16 year old senior racer kids swam yesterday and is swimming today. He said it was great fun. He was not expecting fog. I guess it's that time of year when the water is warmer than the air!
    How is the water so warm with those low temperatures? We're hitting lows around high-60s/low-70's and still going up to low-90s for our highs, but Lake Pleasant, where our OW champs are tomorrow, was 73 on Friday.

Sounds like a good and beautiful swim, though I frown on people who frown on drafting - drafting's part of the fun and strategy of OW racing.
    Quote Originally Posted by flystorms
    Oh wow, thanks for the report and I'd love to see more. One of these days, I'll do this challenge. It sounds like a lot of fun.
    I'm really surprised you've never done this. I've met a few people from the DFW area doing it, and I'm sure there's even more.
    Oh wow, thanks for the report and I'd love to see more. One of these days, I'll do this challenge. It sounds like a lot of fun.
    Wow, glad you're doing better after being checked out! Scary, huh? We've had two of our team members who are having issues like this; one got a pacemaker put in since he was running about 35BPM. Wow!

Yes, please take pics from the Cube and of your hike on the wall. Sound slike a great trip!
    If you can, I'd love to see whatever pictures you can take inside the Water Cube.
    good to "see" you back here. Just today I was wondering why I hadn't seen your blog recently.
    Get well soon!
    I did like the announcer knew who I was when I came in at the finish line due to the chips. Their system was pretty good for that. Well run and everyone got done before the time limit.

You time isn't that far from last year. Nice going.
    hmm, I've never thought of it that way, but maybe you're right. I think you need to test it next year and come swim this

I will say that it is tough to simply stand after being used to swimming, especially after the 2nd and 3rd loop. I'd say I was almost happy to get back in the water for the 4th loop (that was the only time I got a drink, some water).

my calves really don't usually cramp from swimming, sometimes my feet do (because of plantar fascia and heel spurs). my wrists sometimes do, and when I felt it starting today (on that last loop), I kind of flicked my wrists a little and it did the trick.
    sounds like a great weekend and race. I wonder if the act of getting out and walking after each lap would help to reduce the possibility of calf cramps later in the race since you actually use your legs a bit. I don't know if you experience those, but, particularly for 4K-5K swims, I often find my calves cramping at the end of the race.
    4200, that is a lot. Oh never mind, I have been on taper for a while,
    Seems like an interesting and fun race for you and Kari, if not a bit confusing. Time seems great even if the course was a tad short - you can't swim in a straight line anyway .
    Nice job finishing first in your age group! I am tempted to do that swim in August but, I might be worn out after nationals.
    Too bad we didn't connect, but another time Thanks for the nugget about the water being like Tempe. I've been looking at a couple of the races out there in the past and thought about doing one. That's not too bad.

Well finishing first in AG, that's great! Congratulations!
    Quote Originally Posted by flystorms
    Way to take a chance and go in the faster lane. Little moves like this will certainly help you to push yourself a bit more. Keep up the great work!
    Thanks!

Hope to meet you before the swim on Sunday!
    Way to take a chance and go in the faster lane. Little moves like this will certainly help you to push yourself a bit more. Keep up the great work!
    Paddle boarding was fun. I didn't realize it at the time, but it uses all of the stabilizer muscles in your legs. When I used to go to the gym, I remember seeing (and might have done a few times) people on the half ball thing, where the other half is flat. You put the round side of the ball down and balance on the flat. I think that would be great practice for balance on a paddle board.
    I paid for an hour, but not sure if I lasted quite that long. My legs were sore for a few days after, well between that plus all the extra walking on vacation.