View RSS Feed

Running

Primarily a running workout

1. Sunday 11202011 workouts

by , November 21st, 2011 at 01:07 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    went out for my usual run this morning, adding on just a little more than last time--

Paseo Trail, home to Bear Creek Golf Course 10.2 mi 01:26 08:25 pace

Took Holly (the dog) out for a run along the Consolidated Canal, and we went for about her longest run ever, and my longest since Steamtown. Temps were in the mid-40s, there was sun mixed with clouds. The trail was pretty busy, saw a couple other people running with dogs too. Went down past Chandler Heights so we got a look at Bear Creek golf course, then stopped at Paseo Vista park on the way back. Mile splits: 8:21, 8:21, 8:38, 8:59, 8:44, 8:16, 8:14, 8:05, 8:23, 8:19, 7:58.
    Distance: 10.20 mi
    Time: 1:25:59
    Avg Pace: 8:26 min/mi
    Elevation Gain: 14 ft
    Calories: 1,367 C
    Avg Pace: 8:26 min/mi
    Avg Moving Pace: 8:24 min/mi
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/129871131

was a pretty good run, felt good, both during and also after (so far). and Holly seemed to do well during and after too. she was starting to fade, then we turned around and she really picked up the pace. she may be sleeping a little more than normal, but she sleeps quite a bit anyway. need to check her paws for blisters, and maybe put some Neosporin on just in case (she just licks it off anyway).
    I usually consider a run of 10+ miles a 'long run' so I guess this qualifies. I've rebuilt in such baby steps since Steamtown that it really doesn't feel as painful doing these runs as normal.

after a full day of errands (Lowe's, Home Depot, Costco, Office Max, Petsmart...Starbucks) I made a deal with my other half. I'd go to the Tempe gym and pick up Thai food to go from Yupha's Thai Kitchen, and it worked!

so I did a little local pool tourism, drove up to the Tempe 24 Hour Fitness for a solo swim.
    pool was empty when I got there, and I took the middle lap lane. the pool has 3 SCM lap lanes setup, an open area with stairs that pretty much makes another SCM lane, and a SCY lane with a mini wall at the stairs (works in a pinch). a couple of others were in/out during my swim, but they stayed out of my way.

600 w/u choice

8 x 50 kick, board only--
    * odds free @ 1:20
    * evens breast @ 1:10

100 easy

400 free for time (5:49ish)

100 easy

6 x 100 free @ 1:35, long and stretch out, just make the interval

100 easy

100 IM for time (1:29ish)

4 x 150 pull @ 2:30 (paddles + buoy)
    done 50 free/50 breast/50 free

200 w/d

TTL: 3200m

I figured with this meet coming up in a couple weeks, I should try to get in some SCM training, and see how close my seed times are, as I pretty much just pulled them out of the air.
    I hadn't swum SCM for about 2 months, and I just didn't realize how much longer 25m is than 25 yards; about 1-2 extra strokes of free. but the 600 helped me mostly adjust, and this pool is pretty well marked (tho it doesn't have overflow gutters so I did feel some splashback at the walls)
    the 400 felt ok; took the first 100 around 85% and tried to build from there. I think I seeded at 5:30, so I may be a little slower than that (I wore a dragsuit today, and I'll wear the fancy jammer for the meet, that alone should give me 2 sec/100, and a dive 2 sec). I think a 400 free gets a counter at meets? if so, maybe I can twist the arm of someone there to count for me....
    the IM on the other hand actually felt better. so long as I can do the fly, everything else is downhill for me, and with a start it is just that much less fly (and more kicking too). I did about 8-9 underwater fly kicks, then about 5 strokes of fly. I think my seed time is 1:30, so I will hopefully beat that. my goal is to simply finish this legally without embarrassing myself too horribly.

still need to do a 200 breast....maybe I'll sneak back to this pool in the next week for that.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Running
  2. Thursday 11172011, AM Run & PM swim

by , November 18th, 2011 at 12:00 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    for some reason I really wanted to run early this morning, so I did--

Paseo Trail, home to Paseo Vista Park 6.87 mi 00:55 07:58 pace

Holy speed batman, this was my fastest run for a while...and Holly's fastest! Guess we had some pent up energy. Went out along the Consolidated Canal this morning, from home down to Paseo Vista park, took a quick break, then back. I wasn't really paying attention to my pace, until after leaving the park I noticed a mile split on my Garmin that was 7:56 (of course then I had to try to keep/beat that pace). Weather was a little brisk, mid-40s, but once the sun came up it felt great. Mile splits: 8:25, 8:19, 8:21, 7:56, 7:35, 7:44, 7:28.
    Distance: 6.87 mi
    Time: 54:54
    Avg Pace: 7:59 min/mi
    Elevation Gain: 4 ft
    Calories: 930 C
    Avg Pace: 7:59 min/mi
    Avg Moving Pace: 7:48 min/mi
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/129236601

I really wish I knew what made me go so fast, but I really have no clue. The funny thing is, it didn't even feel that fast. And like I noted in the quote above, I just happened to see one of the mile splits, and was surprised--but accepted a self-challenge to keep that up.
    Holly definitely prefers morning runs too. I sometimes enjoy running in the afternoon this time of year, when I can still run without a shirt, but Holly likes the cool, crisp, morning temps.

I don't know why, but I was planning to go into the office today. but as I was finishing up my run I decided that was stupid; I had ~5 hours of phone meetings, so just worked from home. now I haven't been in the office since last Wed, but I'll go tomorrow.

late today I headed over to the Chandler 24 Hour Fitness for a solo swim.
    got my favorite lane, although the pool water temp was a touch too warm.

600 w/u, done 75 free/25 breast continuous

10 x 50 kick--
    * odds free @ 1:20
    * evens breast @ 1:00

14 x 50 free--
    * 3 @ 1:00
    * 3 @ 0:55
    * 3 @ 0:50
    * 3 @ 0:45
    * 2 @ 0:40

100 easy

6 x 150 @ 2:30
    * 1 long and loose
    * 2, first 50 fast
    * 3, 2nd 50 fast
    * 4, 3rd 50 fast
    * 5, all fast
    * 6, long and stretch out

5 x 100 pull @ 1:20 w/paddles + buoy

200 w/d

TTL: 3500 yards

this workout really hit the spot. had a good mix of different stuff that I gleaned from different blogs, workout posts, etc and put all together.

I was actually thinking of somehow running again tomorrow...then remembered that I should probably lift weights. I thought running more would phase me, but so far this week, it hasn't yet hit me. trying to somewhat peak before my first 10k next week.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Running
  3. Mon-Tues 1114-11152011 workouts

by , November 16th, 2011 at 01:32 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    very much still recovering from a crazy weekend of flying...

worked from home on Monday, and managed to get out for a nice little stretch out run:

Paseo Trail, home to Paseo Vista Park 6.42 mi 00:56 08:41 pace

After not running since last Tues, and being on planes for way too long, I took a late-day run along the canal near home. Took Holly (the dog) with me, and we went down to Paseo Vista Park and back. Actually saw a few others running. Had great weather, low 70s and sunny. Mile splits: 8:13, 8:46, 8:54, 8:40, 8:43, 8:52, 8:39.
    Distance: 6.42 mi
    Time: 55:48
    Avg Pace: 8:42 min/mi
    Elevation Gain: 6 ft
    Calories: 852 C
    Avg Pace: 8:42 min/mi
    Avg Moving Pace: 8:35 min/mi
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/128779129

went up to Mesa-Carson for this morning for the Tues AM masters workout
    Paul and Laura were both on deck coaching
    I was on Paul's side

got in 600 w/u various

4 x (
    3 x 50 @ 1:00)
    #1: distance per stroke
    #2: fist drill with high turnover
    #3: combine them both

200 easy (while we waited for Laura's group to catch up)

main set...
    10 x 100 @ 3:00, best avg
    Paul told me to keep them all under 1:10
    I generally held 1:08-1:09, I think I slipped down to 1:11 around #6, but recovered. finished with #10 at 1:06 I think

did an easy 50 after each

(I had to get out early..)

200 w/d

TTL: 3100 yards

I got an earful from both Paul and Laura about their lack of access to the USMS forums

anyway, the workout was pretty good. was a smaller group than normal, the water was cold...but the pool was on the way to the airport, so I avoided the worst of the traffic, while still getting in a decent workout.

I did a similar set, 10 x 100 but @ 4:00 in April with the ASU masters group, and I think I held 4-6 sec faster. could be recovering from jetlag, or maybe I'm not in as good shape now as I was then. or maybe the extra minute makes that much of a difference for me.

Laura had Jake (the dog) and brought him around to visit with everyone between sets. I scratched his ears and he licked my cheek while I was still in the water. Laura said he rarely licks someone who's in the water...but I said that he recognized another dog lover. we'll have to setup a doggie play date with Jake and Holly

after flying up to Vegas for a work trip, stuck in meetings most of the day, I finally got over to my hotel (an off-strip chain) and met up with a friend for a run

Distance: 6.22 mi
    Time: 57:42
    Avg Pace: 9:16 min/mi
    Elevation Gain: 75 ft
    Calories: 832 C
    Avg Pace: 9:16 min/mi
    Avg Moving Pace: 9:10 min/mi
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/128984210

Dan is a bit slower than I am, but as I told him after...there is absolutely no way I would have run like this in Vegas alone. it actually turned into a decent run, but the first mile was pretty rough with all the stoplight, dodging pedestrians, and dealing with the typical Vegas street people (I can't even imagine attempting to run on the Strip, this is off-strip).
    anyway, it turned into a nice conversational run for me. I rarely run 2 days in a row, so this was a nice change.

So at workout this morning I told Paul I was coming to Vegas. I said how I've swum with the group in Henderson...and he said I really should try coach Vic's group @ Desert Breeze. so long as I wake up I'll try that. Hopefully there will be some slower swimmers to swim with.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Running
  4. Sunday 11062011 AM RUn & PM solo swim (breast focus)

by , November 6th, 2011 at 11:47 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    went out on the canal this morning for a run, as usual:

Paseo Trail, home to Chandler Heights 9.17 mi 01:18 08:31 pace

Since it was colder out, I slept in and started my run a little later. It was about 40F when I took Holly (the dog) out to the Consolidated Canal to run. Seems we both felt pretty good, we went down to Chandler Heights Road, turned around then came back. Stopped at Paseo Vista park on the way back, the dog park looked busy. Started out cool, but it was in the mid-50s when we finished, and sunny through the whole run. Mile splits: 8:22, 8:8:26, 8:47, 8:49, 8:30, 8:31, 8:26, 8:37, 8:22.
    Distance: 9.18 mi
    Time: 1:18:20
    Avg Pace: 8:32 min/mi
    Elevation Gain: 8 ft
    Calories: 1,222 C
    Avg Pace: 8:32 min/mi
    Avg Moving Pace: 8:26 min/mi
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/126884196

With the NYC marathon today, I was reminiscing on this workout:
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/113645980
    The guy I ran that with was supposed to do the race, but evidently he bailed. He better have a good excuse. I actually did the lottery, but wasn't selected.
    So Friday (I think) marked the official end of my marathon recovery. A common formula is 1 day per mile raced. My legs have felt much more springy over the past week, this despite gradually increasing my running again. But this has got to be the slowest re-build I've done yet.
    This run today was Holly's 2nd furthest. She seemed like she could have easily hit 10.

started to get caught up in The Ring on one of the HBO's, and almost bailed on a swim. but I trudged through...

went over to the Chandler 24 Hour Fitness for a solo swim (SCY)

600 w/u, done 75 free/25 breast

8 x 50 kick (board only)--
    * odds free @ 1:15
    * evens breast @ 1:00

100 easy breast

8 x 100 pull (buoy + paddles) @ 1:30, done 75 free/25 breast

100 easy free

6 x 100 breast @ 1:55 (easier to keep track)

100 easy free

6 x 50 breast w/breast fins @ :55

50 easy free

50 fast breast (:42ish)

200 (incl 75 breast) w/d

TTL: 3300 yards

went without much of a plan, except to do some breast. I think this turned out rather well.
    got about 20 sec rest on the 100s breast, and 15 on the 50s. the fins really do make a difference, both on speed as well as guiding my feet though to proper form.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Running
  5. Thurs PM & Friday workouts, 1103-11042011

by , November 5th, 2011 at 02:11 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    have had extremely odd weather here over the past few days. after a colder than normal morning yesterday (mid-40s here in Chandler), I went out to run yesterday afternoon, when it was in the mid-80s...

Paseo Trail, home to Paseo Vista Park 6.41 mi 00:56 08:44 pace

After swimming this morning, I decided to take Holly (the dog) out with me for an afternoon run. She seemed mad when she saw me leave for the pool this morning without her. Anyway, we went along the Consolidated Canal, down to Paseo Vista Park. However, she was not her usual self, wanted to stop quite a bit on the way down, sniff around. Then on the way back she was dragging behind me much of the trip. It was nice and sunny, low 80s, but a little windy. I'm surprised the splits aren't worse, 8:40, 8:55, 8:53, 8:42, 8:48, 8:42, 8:05. Tried out a new pair of shoes too, they felt great!
    Distance: 6.41 mi
    Time: 55:59
    Avg Pace: 8:44 min/mi
    Calories: 847 C
    Avg Pace: 8:44 min/mi
    Avg Moving Pace: 8:34 min/mi
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/126300024

guess I forgot to mention how I noticed that Nike had a big sale a week or so ago. I picked up 2 more pairs of my LunarGilde shoes. They're normally around $90, these were $55 each. The colors are a bit crazy though.

went up to Mesa-Kino this morning for the masters swim workout
    we were in the main pool (SCY)
    Paul and Laura were both on deck coaching, I was on Paul's side

got in 700 w/u choice

4 x
    (100 long + smooth
    4 x 25 build, IMO
    50 fast kick)
    about 5 sec rest between each, 20 sec between rounds

50 easy

5 x 5 minute swims, choice, supposed to be best average
    --I did 5 x 300s, mostly descended from 4:02 to 3:42

5 x bungee pulls (I was quite fried, maybe got 2/3 across, maybe 200 yards total)

200 w/d

TTL: 3600 yards

the water was very cold!!! that was one reason I chose 300s, just so I'd keep moving and try to keep myself warm.
    Paul moved the gal I usually swim with over to do IM, so I was stuck with the guy who always goes out too fast and dies. he didn't disappoint today. he did 200s; I went 5 sec behind him (we split the lane but I hate going side by side). I mostly paced off of him, then pushed my last 100. Paul egged him on, so he went faster on #4. On #5, I passed him.
    not sure what Paul's deal is with these bungee cords. I was sore from lifting on Wed, and still catching my breath from my last 300 when he threw one at me.

after work, I headed over to the 24 Hour Fitness @ Mesa-Riverview and did this--
    Tmill: 23 min, 290 cal, 2.56 miles, avg 6.7 mph
    2 min warmup
    3 min at 6.8-6.9
    2 min at 7.0-7.4
    1 min at 7.5-7.7
    2 min warm down

Leg rolling: 6 min

Pullups: 3 x 10

Biceps preacher curls: 1 x 15 x 80, 1 x 12 x 90, 2 x 9 x 100

Hammer strength seated row: 1 x 15 x 90, 2 x 12 x 180, 1 x 5 x 270

Hammer strength front lat pulldowns: 1 x 15 x 90, 2 x 10 x 180

Life fitness lat raise: 1 x 15 x 50, 1 x 12 x 65, 1 x 8 x 80

Star trak rear delt: 1 x 15 x 60, 1 x 12 x 75, 1 x 10 x 90, 1 x 10 x 105

Life fitness abdominal: 1 x 25 x 90, 1 x 20 x 110, 1 x 15 x 130

finally I felt good right from the beginning of my treadmill run. the first song is always a breaking point for me, and today's was:
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9nqCM8Ito8"]Head Over Heels - Go-Go's 1984 - YouTube[/nomedia]
    I was alone with everything until I was on the lat raise machine, then Sean showed up. but on both the HS row and HS lat pulldown I had guys ask to work in with me (one of the reasons I even attempted 270 on the row...that's over 100 pounds more than I weigh)

so it looks like I'll be at the NE SCM Meet in Dec. I contacted SwimStud, and we'll probably both swim the 200 breast together, possibly another event. I'll be there just that Sat, and flying out at 3:30, so probably won't be able to do the 50 free/breast.
    I haven't done a SCM meet for about 10 years. I figure I'll just use SwimStud's times for events we both do so hopefully we'll be in the same heat. If I'm off, I can blame it on the long time since swimming SCM.
    I am thinking of the 100 IM though...never done one of those. maybe I'll convince the gal I swim with to do a timed one with me next week.

the weather here has really been nasty today. high winds, blowing dust, and the rain started while I was at the gym. temps supposed to drop significantly overnight.
    I chatted with a guy after swimming, he asked if I was doing the lake swim tomorrow. when I said no, he asked why not. my response, "I did enough crazy stuff when I was in the Army, didn't have a choice, but at least I got paid for it. why would I want to do something crazy out in this nasty weather, when I have a choice...and have to pay to participate?" that certainly ended that conversation. after just getting a flu shot yesterday, and my insane trip coming up next week, I'd rather just rest up.
  6. Tuesday 11012011, a noon swim

by , November 2nd, 2011 at 12:05 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    went out for my usual Tuesday AM run today:

Paseo Trail, Home to Ray Rd 5.93 mi 00:50 08:22 pace

We survived the trick-or-treaters last night, and I took Holly (the dog) out for a nice run this morning. She must have felt good, she pulled me nearly the entire time. We went north this time, along the Consolidated Canal to Ray Road, then turned around. We stopped at the park at Chandler/Cooper on the way home. Saw several other runners with dogs. Nice weather, upper 50s with the run rising toward the end. Mile splits: 8:45, 8:38, 8:36, 8:17, 7:59, 7:56 (hmm, this is the first descending run in a while).
    Distance: 5.93 mi
    Time: 49:38
    Avg Pace: 8:23 min/mi
    Elevation Gain: 7 ft
    Calories: 794 C
    Avg Pace: 8:23 min/mi
    Avg Moving Pace: 8:18 min/mi
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/125764649

I was checking the temp before I went out. weather.com said it was 59F, which isn't too bad. when I got the paper it didn't feel too cool, and I was going to go without a shirt. then I saw a Nike running singlet in my home office, so put it on. I was sure glad I did. was a little chilly running along the water, with a little breeze. when I got home, weather.com had updated, and said 49F.
    of course Holly doesn't have to worry about what to wear

I made it to the noon masters swim workout at Mesa-Kino Aquatic Center
    we were in the main pool (the only group there)
    Jack was on deck coaching

the workout as given--
    open warmup to noon(ish)
    about 10 min extra swim, choice

3 rounds of--
    100 off the blocks
    30 sec rest
    50 fast from a push
    10 min active recovery

w/d

what I did...

300 w/u

10 x 50 @ :50, did some 25 fast/25 easy at the end
    2 x 50 25 kick/25 swim

100 fast from the blocks for time (1:08)
    30 sec rest
    50 fast from a push (:31)

200 easy
    10 x 50 @ :50

100 fast from the blocks for time (1:06)
    30 sec rest
    50 fast from a push (didn't get it)

200 easy
    10 x 50 @ :50
    (somewhere in those 50s Jack came over and chatted with me about my kicking, or lack thereof)

100 fast from the blocks for time (1:03)
    30 sec rest
    50 fast from a push (:30)

500 w/d

TTL: 3250 yards

weather was simply fantastic to be swimming outside in the middle of the day. around 85F, nice and sunny. I need to do this more...if only this work thing didn't get in the way.
    anyway, this was a great set, and something I certainly would never do on my own. Jack divided us in to 2 groups (fast and slow); I was in the fast group, but nearly the slowest in that group. for the first 2 100s, my goal was to beat the guy to my right, and I did both times. after Jack talked to me about my lazy kick (why don't I try a 6-beat kick...), and the guy to my right bailed, I figured I'd try to keep up with the guy on my left. didn't quite, but was much closer than the other 100s.
    not quite a workout PB, I think 1:02 (from 2 years ago at ASU Mona Plummer) still stands for that, but not too bad for me.
    oh, as I hardly knew a soul in this group, I was trying to size up people before workout. really, how someone looks is absolutely no indication how fast or slow they are in the water.
    also nice to be the only group in the water. evenings can be a zoo with kids groups, synchro, and who knows what else going on. mornings aren't bad, usually just masters and the older kids.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Running
  7. Sunday 10302011 workouts

by , October 31st, 2011 at 12:16 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    went out for a run this morning--

Paseo Trail, home to Paseo Vista park 7.63 mi 01:06 08:39 pace

Took Holly (the dog) out for another run along the Consolidated Canal. The morning was cool but nice and sunny, about 60F when we started. On the way down to Paseo Vista park, we did a loop around Los Arboles park, felt pretty good. Stopped at Paseo Vista for drinks, then on the way back did another (shorter) loop through Los Arboles...I'm thinking that may be a decent place to do a track workout. Anyway, gradually getting my distance back up there. Splits: 8:02, 8:37, 9:02, 8:57, 8:34, 8:47, 8:45, 8:28.
    Distance: 7.63 mi
    Time: 1:06:09
    Avg Pace: 8:40 min/mi
    Elevation Gain: 10 ft
    Calories: 1,016 C
    Avg Pace: 8:40 min/mi
    Avg Moving Pace: 8:38 min/mi
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/125273338

out of the 3 marathons I've done, I think this is the longest I'm taking to re-build distance back. that said, I am rather enjoying being able to sleep a little later, and not be out running for hours on end. eventually I'll be back at it.

did a few errands, then mostly vegged out much of the day. watched, "Scream 4," then parts of (I think), "Halloween 4." the Scream movie was pretty good. but after, I decided you could probably watch the first 15 or so min (these movies have crazy beginnings), then maybe the last 20 and really wouldn't miss much.

almost bailed on my swim....but

went over to the Chandler 24 Hour Fitness for a solo swim. the pool was empty when I got there, and was (shudder to say it) almost chilly.

600 w/u

4 x 50 kick @ 1:15 board only
    6 x 50 kick @ 1:00, board + fins
    4 x 100 swim @ 1:25 w/fins
    100 easy

breast set, no extra rest--
    1 x 200 @ 4:00
    2 x 100 @ 2:00
    4 x 050 @ 1:00

100 easy

4 x 200 pull @ 2:40, paddles + buoy

100 easy

50 breast fast (about 42)

250 w/d

TTL: 3400 yards

I went with an open mind and no real plans. with the cool water, I felt so much better and did more than I thought I would.
    on the breast set my times were about 200 (3:26), 100s (1:44, 1:42), 50s (48 and desc down to 44).
    it felt really good to stretch out on the 200s pull. so good that I decided I'd do another 50 breast for time. didn't take off my drag suit, so was maybe 2 sec off.
    along with being cooler, the water was very clear. I think the chlorine was very high though, I feel all itchy (even after a shower at the gym), and I think I'm going to shower again.

last weekend I finally changed my Disneyworld race from the full marathon to the half. maybe that's why I haven't been too motivated with running lately, who knows. I still haven't decided if I'll do it for fun or try for a PR...this will be my 3rd half (the other 2 were about a minute apart).
    along with that, we started to plan out our trip. airfares are crazy expensive (didn't book, but will keep an eye on that). decided to stay off-property at a newish place, and definitely less $$$. we'll still be giving plenty of money to Disney--and then go over to Universal for a couple of days before we fly back.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Running
  8. Thursday 10272011 workouts

by , October 28th, 2011 at 12:12 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    I did my planned run this morning, but a little later than normal. slept until 5:45 and it felt great!

Paseo Trail, home to Paseo Vista Park 7 mi 00:59 08:26 pace

After the rain yesterday, it was noticeably cooler and quite a bit windy this morning (the wind really picked up on my return trip), but was nice and sunny and clear. Took Holly out for a run along the Consolidated Canal to Paseo Vista park. I wore an Adidas ClimaCool top, and was feeling a bit warm for the first half, thought I might take it off for the return. As we wound up to Paseo Vista and I felt the wind, I was glad I had it, especially when we started our return trip. Every day I'm feeling just a little more recovered from the marathon, I guess next week I should be completely recovered. Splits: 8:12, 8:28, 8:39, 8:23, 8:36, 8:42, 8:04
    Distance: 7.00 mi
    Time: 59:10
    Avg Pace: 8:27 min/mi
    Calories: 939 C
    Avg Moving Pace: 8:22 min/mi
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/124620060

I couldn't remember the last time I was chilly when running, probably March. it wouldn't have been that bad if it wasn't so windy...or if I just ran later in the day.

later today I went over to the Chandler 24 Hour Fitness for a solo swim. After going to the Gilbert gym on Tuesday, this gym didn't seem so bad.

600 w/u

4 x 50 kick @ 1:15, board only
    4 x 100 pull @ 1:20, paddles + buoy
    100 easy

main set (no extra rest)--
    3 x 200 @ 3:00
    3 x 150 @ 2:15
    3 x 100 @ 1:30
    3 x 050 @ 0:45
    descended within each of them

100 easy

4 x 50 @ 1:20, with fins. on 1-3 did 25 fly then 25 easy free.
    on the last I did a 50 fly, was about 33.

200 w/d

I was perusing the blogs earlier and saw Patrick's workout. so I did half of his main set, and SCY instead of SCM. I was just going to do it aerobically, but felt good after the first 200, so decided to descend each 3, and on that interval, I could.
    I'd swear I had put a drag suit in my bag when I was getting it ready, but I got to the gym, and no drag suit. so maybe that's why I felt pretty good.
    so good that I decided to do a mini fly set at the end. I was just going to keep doing the 25 fly/25 easy free...then thought I'd try just 1 50. with fins, it wasn't too bad.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Running
  9. Tuesday 10252011 workouts

by , October 26th, 2011 at 01:24 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    did my usual run this morning--

Paseo Trail, 202 to Galveston 4.84 mi 00:41 08:25 pace

Had trouble getting my Garmin started this morning, then it seemed a bit squirrley after I got going (and took forever to synch after). Took Holly with me, and looks like my Garmin didn't start recording my distance until after her potty break, but it was counting the time from when we began, so I tweaked the distance a bit. Pretty much the same run I did with Holly (the dog) last week, up to the Galveston footbridge, with a stop at the park at Chandler/Cooper on the return. Was very cloudy and a bit more humid than usual.
    I ran the Garmin player from their site to get an approx distance to add---
    Distance: 4.34 mi
    Time: 40:49
    Avg Pace: 9:24 min/mi
    Elevation Gain: 6 ft
    Calories: 579 C
    Avg Pace: 9:24 min/mi
    Avg Moving Pace: 8:30 min/mi
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/124232938

the player is kinda neat. it shows where I was at, what my pace was, what my HR was, etc. when I first started using the Garmin, I checked it for every run + ride. now I rarely do.

ended up working a bit late. I was in the middle of a project, and could have left to swim at Kino, but I kinda wanted to get it done. so left work at 6pm; I'm not the type who shows up to workout that late, so I opted to do a solo swim, at the 24 Hour Fitness Gilbert (Val Vista/Elliot).
    I saw quite a bit of lightning while I was driving over there, so not sure if the workout at Kino happened anyway. as I turned down Val Vista I passed Val Vista Lakes, and I remembered going to the clubhouse years ago...and their 50m pool. was tempting to try to crash into there tonight. but I pressed on. the gym parking lot was very wet; initially I thought maybe a water main broke, but they got rain there (where my office just a few miles away was completely dry).

I've been to the 24 Hour gym in Gilbert before, but it had been 2+ years. the pool was even worse than I remembered. 2 lanes (but very wide), extremely shallow (when I stood the bottom of my dragsuit was barely at water level), and had an annoying concrete lip.

that said, I had the whole pool (all 2 lanes of it) mostly to myself the whole time, and did--

500 w/u

8 x 50 kick w/fins @ :10 rest, variety of 25 on stomach/sides, the 2nd 25 on back. goal of 6-8 dolphin kicks off every wall

100 easy

10 x 100 pull w/buoy + paddles @ 1:25

100 easy

4 x 75 @ 1:30, 25 left/25 right/25 swim

100 easy

50 fast (:34ish)

100 easy

50 fast (:32ish)

200 w/d

TTL: 2800 yards

for a while I was hoping that the pool was 25m; I pulled 100s on Sunday at the Chandler 24 pool and easily held 1:20. tonight the 1:25 was a struggle. but on my way out I asked at the desk, and they verified the bad news.
    got in a good mix of different stuff...certainly better than skipping entirely.

so Paul and Laura are planning a SCM meet on Nov 19. I really want to do it, but from a timing standpoint I don't think I'll be able to. the weekend before is my crazy trip to Hong Kong. now I have a biz trip during that week before too. the meet is the Sat before Thanksgiving...since we host Thanksgiving dinner, we usually do a crazy cleaning the weekend before. I'm already doing the Mesa 10k run Thanksgiving morning...doing a meet the Sat before will be pushing it at home.
    I actually mostly like the events, the order, the overall timetable, etc. if only I didn't have a zillion things going on around then.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Running
  10. Sunday 10232011 workouts

by , October 23rd, 2011 at 11:03 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    had a very nice walk with Holly yesterday. while I enjoy running with her, sometimes a relaxing walk in great temps is good too, especially on my 'off' day

went out for my run this morning--
    Paseo Trail, home to Paseo Vista Park 7.07 mi 01:00 08:29 pace

Still rebuilding from the race, another ~2 weeks I guess. Took Holly (the dog) out for another run along the canal. We did almost the same thing as Thursday, except not nearly as fast, and just a hair further (we crossed Ocotillo for a little bit). Weather was just great, about 60F...I may have to start wearing a shirt again soon. It was pretty busy out there too, guess the fair weather runners have discovered how nice it is, for another month at least. Mile splits: 8:20, 8:31, 8:53, 8:36, 8:24, 8:38, 8:09.
    Distance: 7.07 mi
    Time: 1:00:07
    Avg Pace: 8:30 min/mi
    Calories: 944 C
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/123716463

not sure what it is, but when I run with others, I'm faster...and evidently Holly is too. but given that I should still be in recovery mode, I think this worked out rather well.
    was a bit brisk when I started without a shirt, but I try to savor every last bit I can like that. kind of a bittersweet goodbye when I have to start wearing one again. in contrast, I saw several people out running with long sleeves, which seemed just a tad overkill for today.

so we did our breakfast out this morning. as I was getting back in the car after, I was thinking, "hey I don't feel like suicide on a stick," and my legs actually felt a little springy. I wolfed down my breakfast, when the last time we went (after my 20 mile run), my stomach was doing somersaults and I had to eat very slowly.
    not only that, but on our next stop to Costco, I didn't feel like I needed to sit down halfway through the store (well it wasn't too busy yet either).
    maybe these shorter runs aren't so bad after all.

that said, I was feeling pretty good when I headed over to the Chandler 24 Hour Fitness for a late afternoon swim in the SCY pool--

500 w/u

4 x 50 kick @ 1:15

4 x 100 pull @ 1:20

4 x 75 drill @ 1:20 (right/left/catch-up)

100 easy

8 x 150 @ 2:30, done as 4 rounds of
    50 free/50 back/50 free
    50 free/50 breast/50 free

50 easy

5 x 50 breast w/breast fins @ 1:00

200 w/d

TTL: 3200 yards

I went over there with the intention of poaching Patrick's set from yesterday, but once there the idea of 500, 2 x 400, etc just didn't sound so good.
    I had perused some blogs before I left, and did poach the 75's from Chris S
    while doing those, I thought of swimsuitaddict...then got the idea for the 150s, like an Oreo cookie, with the best thing in the middle. I kind of descended them...maybe a sec or so off each of the backs, and breasts, with my last one with breast about where I started with back.
    considered doing 2 more of those 150s, but thought better of it. rather than another pull set, which is what I'd usually do, I realized I hadn't used my breast fins for ages, so dug them out of my toy bag.

I had picked up a new Natural keyboard at work last week; I had one years ago, but since I eat at my desk it got disgusting and I threw it out at some point when I got a new computer. but my Carpal tunnel had been acting up, so I figured I'd do it again (and really need to remember to do wrist curls at the gym, since they also help).
    then last night, while at Sam's, I found some sort of curved keyboard (a similar concept but not so extreme), and picked it up (not a bad deal, wireless and came with a mouse). while I pulled my computer out to take out the old and do the new, I saw a bunch of dust bunnies in the cubby...long story short 2 hours later my entire home office was nice and clean (including the ceiling fan, and somehow I put 2 shoe boxes in the recycling). I usually do this about every 3-4 months, then it gradually accumulates stuff.
    but it sure is nice to come in here now and see my home office all nice and clean
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Running
  11. Thursday 10201011, swimmer or runner?

by , October 20th, 2011 at 10:26 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    after workout yesterday, I was chatting with Starbucks (who oddly is on the forums and occasionally visits my blog), and he asked me, "Which are you, a swimmer or runner?" I of course don't know. Very torn between the two, have days where I prefer one or the other, sometimes hate them both, sometimes love them both.
    I think this stemmed from a few weeks ago, I was telling him about the grading system that Chris S developed. Of course then he asked how my swims rate, and I hadn't looked (said I was afraid they'd be too low). But active.com uses some sort of system to rate running races. So I manned up and checked my swimming races from this year and last. They weren't nearly as bad as I feared. And my 1500m LCM free was the highest, around 78%.

anyway, to further complicate my decision on which I am, I did both today

my friend Carl contacted me yesterday about meeting up to run this morning. he came over this morning and we got going around 6am (I got to sleep in!)

Paseo trail, home to Paseo Vista park 6.52 mi 00:53 08:09 pace

Met up with Carl this morning for a run. Took Holly (the dog) and we ran along the Consolidated Canal down to Paseo Vista park. Took a pit stop there, then headed back...Carl was doing extra, but I was fine with 6.5. We really picked up the speed on the return. Beautiful weather, temps in the low 60s, and again saw a nice sunrise with great views of the mountains. Mile splits: 8:29, 8:18, 8:24, 8:04, 8:09, 7:57, 7:29 (for the last .52 mile).
    Distance: 6.52 mi
    Time: 53:19
    Avg Pace: 8:10 min/mi
    Calories: 876 C
    Avg Pace: 8:10 min/mi
    Avg Moving Pace: 8:07 min/mi
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/123013925

this was supposed to be a, "conversational pace," run for Carl. last time that happened, the conversation was all one-sided, with me grunting answers. but today I actually participated a bit.
    I definitely think I cheated having Holly pull me along. she was in rare form, and pulled up until the last 1/2 mile...when I pulled her.

after a day working from home, with a couple conference calls (one dry but ok one on Risk Management, one kinda interesting one about the new corporate HR group my group is now a part of, and one that was a complete waste of my time), I got in a swim.

just went over to the nearby Chandler 24 Hour Fitness (pool sucks but it wins on location and price), and got in the following--

600 w/u, mixing in back and breast a 25 every 100

100 easy

main set, no extra rest--

4 x 100 @ 1:40
    4 x 100 @ 1:35
    4 x 100 @ 1:30
    4 x 100 @ 1:25
    4 x 100 @ 1:20

100 easy pull

200 w/d

TTL: 3600 SCY

then about 5 min or so stretching in the hot tub

when I first got there the pool was crowded. but thankfully the guy in my favorite lane left, and I snagged it. by the time I got into my main set, everyone else had left and I had the whole thing to myself
    stole the concept of the main set from the other blogs today that used this (stemming from Q's I think). I just wasn't in the mood for 5 of each, so did 4 though.
    I didn't quite make the whole thing. made the first 100s @ 1:20, but 3-4 didn't, and was about 3 sec late when I finished. given that I wore my drag suit, this pool sucks, I'm not going to lose sleep over that, but it is a nice goal to do this again in 2-3 weeks and make it.
    I have no idea how I swam solo for ~5 months early this year. doing this with others would certainly make it a more palatable swim.

as I do after every race, I got a new pair of running shoes. this time I took a chance and ordered from Road Runner online, they arrived today. I'll begin the break-in process probably next Tuesday.

was reading some online articles about recovery after a marathon. the general consensus seems to be a day for every mile run, so about 26 days. it said to try a normal speedwork session around 20 days, see how things go (and after), then assess. only problem is, I really don't do speedwork. but I may next week...Urmas is bugging me to. and with a 10k approaching, I probably should. I'll have to read up on some strategies on that.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Running
  12. Wednesday 10192011 workouts

by , October 20th, 2011 at 01:41 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    went up to Mesa-Kino for the 6am masters swim workout this morning
    started out in the diving well, moved over to barely in the main pool, sharing a lane (SCY)
    Paul and Laura were on deck; I selected Paul's distance option

400 w/u choice

4 x 50 @ :45
    4 25 kick @ :35
    4 x 50 @ :45

4 x 75 @ 1:15
    400 @ 6:00
    4 x 75 @ 1:00

4 x 100 @ 1:25
    400 @ 5:45
    4 x 100 @ 1:15

100 easy

400 swim w/yellow parachute

100 easy

25 swim carrying a cinderblock

75 easy

TTL: 3800 yards

we had a choice of this, another Paul workout, or a Laura workout. this fit my mood for today.
    the 75 set wasn't too horrible, but the 100 set was, and I didn't quite make the last 2.
    I hadn't done parachute work for a while, and it is tough. I found that swimming around 80% worked best; fast enough to keep going, yet slow enough that I didn't feel like I was just spinning my arms.
    after all that, Paul said something about using a bucket. I told him he should get a weight rack like ASU Mona Plummer has. then he pulled out that cinder block... he wanted it carried while walking across the bottom. I saw a guy do that, and it didn't look too pleasant. so I just held it in one hand, and kinda did a breaststroke with the other hand and my legs. when I got to the other side everyone was surprised I did it.

and they are trying to put together a SCM meet at Mesa-Skyline (a link to the pool is in my blog header) on Sat Nov 19. I'd like to try a 100 IM, so long as it isn't too close to other events I do (free and breast)

after work I went over to the 24 Hour Fitness @ Mesa Riverview and did the following--

Tmill: 21 min, 255 cal, 2.27 miles, avg 6.4 mph
    2 min warmup
    3 min at 6.7-6.8
    2 min at 6.9-7.3
    1 min at 7.4
    2 min warm down

Plank w forearms on roller: 2:30

Incline bench: 2 x 10 x 135, 1 x 5 x 150*, 1 x 5 x 155

Triceps skull crushers: 3 x 10 x 60 + 5 (decline bench)

Dumbbell chest fly decline bench: 1 x 15 x 45s, 1 x 12 x 50s, 2 x 9 x 60s

Hanging leg raises: 3 x 10

was back on the squeaky treadmill. oddly, I kinda got into a rhythm, between the squeaks and my music. but I'm sure it is annoying for those having to listen to it
    my friend Sean had to work late today, but I ended up lifting most of my set (from the bench to leg raises) with another friend of a friend. he seemed to know what he was doing, and when I picked up the barbell thinking it had 45-5 on each side, my left arm felt just a little heavier...turned out it had a 45-10, the right had 45-5. oh well, I should have checked to make sure...never trust your spot.
    now Sean never does those leg raises...he makes up nearly any excuse. I think he's watched me do them a few times, and evidently they look to painful for him. but this guy gave it a shot. he did the first round knees to chest, and I told him to try to keep his feet out (it seems tougher that way). but he ended up doing 3 x 5 for his first day, which is great.

I commented on Leslie's blog that I got an ab wheel as a birthday gift. here's the one I got:
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Lifeline-USA-Power-Wheel-II/dp/B000BDLJ5G/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=IYQF3T5BF7CPQ&colid= 1BY1KM068I3VI"]Amazon.com: Lifeline USA Power Wheel II: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

I still need to set it up, and probably watch the dvd that came with it to get ideas on what to do with it.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Running
  13. Tuesday 10182011 workouts

by , October 19th, 2011 at 01:52 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    slept in until 5am and went out near home for another nice little recovery run--

Paseo Trail, Loop 202 to Ray Rd 5.84 mi 00:50 08:34 pace

Another great morning for a run with Holly (the dog). Temps were in the upper 60s, which is perfect, low humidity, and I saw an incredible sunrise over Four Peaks. We went all the way up to Ray Road, crossing into Gilbert. Saw at least 8 other people running with dogs, quite unusual. Holly wasn't interested in a water break today, but I tried (and I was interested). Mile splits: 8:46, 8:45, 8:40, 8:31, 8:25, 8:19.
    Distance: 5.84 mi
    Time: 50:10
    Avg Pace: 8:35 min/mi
    Elevation Gain: 5 ft
    Calories: 776 C
    Avg Pace: 8:35 min/mi
    Avg Moving Pace: 8:26 min/mi
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/122611178

Urmas actually called me last night to see if I wanted to do track with him today or tomorrow. I politely declined, when he replied, "it is only 6 x 800s." although only 4800m, + w/u and w/d, maybe 5 miles, that's just so much tougher than what I did.
    maybe next week I'll be ready to build some speedwork back in. with my 10k coming up, I really should do track a few times before it.

after work today I drove over to Mesa-Kino for the 6pm masters swim workout
    Jack was on deck coaching

500 w/u

8 x 50 'stretch out' @ 1:05 (I mixed in some back and breast)

8 x 50 @ 1:05, kick to the 5th LCM line (increasing kick speed at each line), then easy swim to the wall, repeat for the 2nd 25

12 x 25 @ :35, focus on rotation and shoulders

100 easy

100 @ 90% (he said as if you could do it again 2 min later)

50 easy

50 @ 90%

2 x 25 @ 1:00 90%

275 w/d

25 pulling tarps onto pool

25 easy

25 another tarp

TTL: 2300 yards

this was a typical Jack workout. not a ton of yardage, which may disappoint some, but more of a focus on drill/quality. he stopped us a few times during the 50s (with the kick) and the 25s to explain it a little more. the downside of that was with the water a little brisk, I got cold very easily.
    my fast swims weren't too fast, but then again I'm never as fast in the evening as in the morning, especially after running earlier in the day. think my 100 was 1:12, 50 was :32.
    pulling tarps is tougher than it seems.

I found out that Paul & Laura are planning another small 1-day meet at Skyline, the weekend before Thanksgiving. I always like their meets, and I'll probably do it. might be interesting to do a 1500m SCM so I could compare with my LCM time from summer. heck, maybe I'll even swim an IM, something I've never done.

I was thinking of visiting my brother and family in the Cleveland area, and do the 1/2 Marathon of the Cleveland Marathon next May. Sent my sister-in-law a message, and she sent me this link:
    http://www.towpathmarathon.net/
    She said my brother recommends this series rather than the large event. My main concern is that the half is in early April...and weather in Cleveland can still be a bit iffy then.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Running
  14. Sunday 10162011 workouts

by , October 17th, 2011 at 01:23 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    got out for another recover/rebuild run this morning--

Paseo Trail, 202 to Galveston 5.01 mi 00:43 08:30 pace

Another great morning for another recovery run! Temp around 70F, nice and sunny, with some balloons launching from Tumbleweed park to greet Holly and I this morning. We ran up to Galveston, then stopped at the park at Chandler/Cooper for drinks on the way back. Seems we both felt pretty good for much of this run. Mile splits: 8:21, 8:43, 8:35, 8:24, 8:32, 8:40.
    Distance: 5.01 mi
    Time: 42:43
    Avg Pace: 8:31 min/mi
    Calories: 670 C
    Avg Pace: 8:31 min/mi
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/122043694

nothing too noteworthy, other than on the way back, after we crossed Cooper Rd, there were 2 people with bikes laying down, up ahead of us feeding ducks next to the canal. now running with Holly, it is no secret when we're coming...her tags clank and you can hear that from quite a bit away. these people just stood and stared at us as we approached, didn't make an effort at all to move their stuff out of the way. Holly chased the ducks out of the way, then almost jumped on the woman. when I got home I told my other half, and he said that if something like this happens again I should yell, "she bites." (for the record Holly doesn't bite)

later in the day I went over to the Chandler 24 Hour Fitness for a solo swim workout. the pool here isn't the best, but I was in my favorite lane, and had the pool mostly to myself (SCY)

600 w/u done
    75 free/25 back/75 free/25 breast x 3

8 x 25 @ :30, desc 1-4, 5-8

100 easy

6 x 200--
    2 @ 3:00
    2 @ 2:50
    2 @ 2:40

100 easy @ 3:00

1 x 200 fast (around 2:30)

300 w/d (mixed in a bunch of back and breast)

I had a different set in mind when I started, was a mix of 200/100/50/25s, but on those 25s desc I decided I wasn't in the mood for more short stuff. 200s seemed to fit the bill today, and I seemed to respond pretty well.
    forgot to put a drag suit in my bag, so just wore a brief the whole set. always feel super fast when I start out swimming like that, and today the feeling lasted most of the set.

was hoping to get my FLOG caught up a bit. still behind by about a mile now.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Running
  15. Wednesday 10122011 AM Swim & PM Gym

by , October 13th, 2011 at 11:13 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    went up to Mesa-Kino for the AM masters swim workout this morning
    temp was a bit brisk, about 62 when I left home

I was with Paul's group (Laura was there too)

got in 600 w/u choice/various

1000 done as (10 sec rest between each)
    50 fast/200 recovery
    100 fast/200 recovery
    200 fast/200 recovery
    50 fast

another 1000 done just the opposite of the above, again 10 sec rest
    (so 50 recovery/200 fast...)

1000 done as--
    10 x 100 @ :10 rest, desc 1-5, 6-10
    but 5 & 10 breast

not quite enough time for the last 1000, Paul gave a kick set (which I told him I wasn't doing), and I put on my paddles and buoy and did a 400 pull

200 w/d

TTL: 4200 yards

I didn't wear a drag suit at all today, and when I dove in I felt super strong. Of course that lasted a whopping 25 or 50, then the reality of not swimming for a week set in.
    my 'fast' bits weren't quite so...I think the first 50 was 32, 100 around 1:15, 200 2:40...and it all went downhill from there. I didn't really look at the breast times.
    water was definitely on the brisk side too, but after a few hundred it felt rather refreshing.

after work, stopped by the 24 Hour Fitness @ Mesa Riverview and did this whole thing solo:

Tmill: 20 min, 236.6 cal, 2.1 miles, avg 6.2 mph

Leg rolling: 5 min

Decline bench: 3 x 10 x 135

Triceps skull crushers: 3 x 10 x 65 + 5

Freemotion dual cable cross chest fly: 1 x 12 x 60, 1 x 12 x 70, 1 x 10 x 80, 1 x 8 x 90

Hammer strength abs crunch: 1 x 20 x 90, 2 x 15 x 100

recovery runs on the treadmill always seem worse than outside, not sure why.
    weights are definitely in the rebuilding phase, will take a while to get back to any max...

so a little bit about my whole running adventure...

last taper run, Mountain Top, PA 2.11 mi 00:18 08:38 pace

Got out early into the cold (upper 30s) for my last taper run. Just over 2 miles, went south on PA 309 and into Walden Park. A really nice place to run, nice roads with no traffic, and even saw a few people walking. Sun wasn't even quite up yet at 7:30.
    Distance: 2.11 mi
    Time: 18:14
    Avg Pace: 8:39 min/mi
    Elevation Gain: 29 ft
    Calories: 284 C
    Avg Pace: 8:39 min/mi
    Avg Moving Pace: 8:35 min/mi
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/119662485

Steamtown Marathon: Forest City to Scranton, PA 26.01 mi 04:19 09:57 pace

The Steamtown Marathon: Forest City to Scranton, PA. I was supposed to do this race 2 years ago, but sprained my ankle 2 months before. Last year I just hadn't trained that much. Both times they deferred my entry to the next year. Unfortunately, today just wasn't my day. This really is an excellent course, from Forest City through all the little towns/townships/boroughs along the way (way too many to name), with excellent public support. My training had been more geard for a half rather than a full marathon, and by ~19 miles, I found myself walking. Around 22 miles, I talked myself into running little bits (to the next cone), and finally at mile 24 I went back to running (other than 2 hills), and it actually wasn't so bad. This course is nearly all downhill, which really worked my lower back, butt, thighs, ACLs, and calves. Weather was nearly perfect, low around 50 (at the start), and around 70 when I finished. Leaves are just a little before the peak, but still some incredible fall color. Some day I would like to come back and do it again, when I'm in better shape for this. Splits: 8:47 8:29, 8:28, 8:08, 8:25, 8:27, 8:31, 8:15, 8:32, 8:21, 8:33, 8:38, 8:40, 8:41, 8:48, 9:10, 9:12, 9:05, 9:56, 14:01, 14:12, 15:11, 12:48 13:59, 8:48, 8:45. (my 1/2 split on the timer was 1:53:30).
    Distance: 26.01 mi
    Time: 4:13:12
    Avg Pace: 9:44 min/mi
    Elevation Gain: 483 ft
    Calories: 3,277 C
    Avg Pace: 9:44 min/mi
    Avg Moving Pace: 9:35 min/mi
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/120320823

Mountain Top, PA recovery run 2.04 mi 00:20 09:33 pace

The slow recovery shuffle, I can't really call what I did today a run. After hobbling around Crystal Cave yesterday, I stretched for a good 15 min when I woke up this morning. Then decided to do a recovery run, no really goals in mind, other than to try to figure out what hurts the most (stole this idea from a gal on the swimming forums who did a 17 mile swim a few weeks ago). After 1/2 mile, I felt ok, the worst of the soreness is in my left shin, far right knee, and right hamstring. Running on flat ground was mostly ok, even a little uphill was ok, but downhill hurt more (big surprise). Probably a bit too early to jump to any conclusions, but it felt good to just be able to move ok. Fall color really looking great here! Temp was mid-50s. Mile splits: 9:39, 9:29.
    Distance: 2.04 mi
    Time: 19:32
    Avg Pace: 9:34 min/mi
    Elevation Gain: 38 ft
    Calories: 278 C
    Avg Pace: 9:34 min/mi
    Avg Moving Pace: 9:29 min/mi
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/120674506

Paseo Trail, Loop 202 to Chandler Blvd 3.89 mi 00:32 08:19 pace

Another rebuilding run, this time near home along the Consolidated Canal in Chandler. Took Holly (the dog) with me, just up to the park at Chandler/Cooper and back. Since she hadn't run for almost 2 weeks, she was really wanting to go and pulled me almost the entire time. Weather was great, mid-60s with the sun rising toward the end. I'm feeling about 90% now. Mile splits: 8:46, 8:38, 8:01, 7:49.

Distance: 3.90 mi
    Time: 32:27
    Avg Pace: 8:20 min/mi
    Elevation Gain: 8 ft
    Calories: 520 C
    Avg Pace: 8:20 min/mi
    Avg Moving Pace: 8:16 min/mi
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/121227002

As I've told a few people, I've gone through the phases of, f-this, I'm never running another marathon ever again....to not only am I going to run another marathon, but I'm doing this Steamtown one again, and doing it right.
    I really have no excuse other than myself...race conditions were ideal. I doubt I'll ever get handed perfect weather, a great course, fantastic community support, etc ever again.
    If I had to describe what happened, I'd say I lost interest. Maybe there's a technical term or something, perhaps saying I psyched myself out would be good too.
    I passed an aid station, said I'd walk across a bridge to drink the water, and we all know what happens then... Oddly, after getting some texts (yea I was that out of it that I was on my phone), I decided to just run for the last 2, and am now kicking myself for not doing it earlier.
    Oh well, can't change the past. But I will do Steamtown again in the next 3 years.

I'm 98% certain that I'm switching my Disneyworld full marathon to the half. I just don't think I want to do this whole thing again so soon. Right now, I'm looking at the DC/Marine Corps Marathon for next Oct (they don't have qualifications, but it fills within 30-45 min after registration opens). Might as well have a good sightseeing route when I'm doing one, and I've heard nothing but great reviews about it.

Right now, my next adventure is the swim leg of a 1/2 IM Relay on Oct 22. Then I'm running the Mesa 10k Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving.
  16. Thurs 10062011 taper run

by , October 6th, 2011 at 05:38 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    had a mostly uneventful trip back to PA Tues night/Wed morning. I slept about 2-3 hours on the redeye flight...woke up and really had to go to the bathroom, but was sitting in the window seat and didn't want to bother Mr Aisle who was snoring away. kept wishing he'd get up, but he never did, so it was a mad dash to the restroom when I got off the plane in Philly. I hardly remember the PHL-AVP flight, as I pretty much passed out as soon as I sat down, next thing I woke up and saw the windmills as we were landing at AVP.
    rather than burn a vacation day, I brought my work laptop and blackberry with me and worked rather remotely yesterday. wasn't so bad until my 1:30pm AZ call went to 3:30ish (6:30 PA time) and I was drifting away...

anyway, really slept in this morning, until almost 9am. then ventured out into the cold (low-40s) for a taper run--

good Mountain Top, PA...taper run 4.02 mi 00:34 08:20 pace

My taper is in full swing now, good thing because my lungs didn't appreciate the cold air (low 40s) in Mountain Top, PA this morning. Just did a quick 4-miles, from my Mom's up Church Rd just past the train tracks and back. No, not any near a birthday run, although Sunday's race will be close to my age in km's. Splits: 8:37, 8:54, 8:07, 7:44 (didn't feel that fast at the time). One more short run before the Steamtown Marathon on Sunday.
    Distance: 4.02 mi
    Time: 33:34
    Avg Pace: 8:21 min/mi
    Elevation Gain: 265 ft
    Calories: 543 C
    Avg Pace: 8:21 min/mi
    Avg Moving Pace: 8:18 min/mi
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/119565851

after that, I went to get a haircut, the same place I went growing up. wasn't sure if Jack would remember me, I hadn't been there for years, but he did. my brother-in-law goes there now and fills him in on my brothers and I so it wasn't a total surprise.

then my Mom took me out for a nice birthday lunch to a very interesting place down the street--
    http://www.bellhousecafe.com/Home.html

I highly recommend this place! I got a Cafe Mocha, and they used real chocolate, and a chicken Philly...both incredible. The owner is quite a character too. It is in the basement of a house, with lots of charm.

the forecast for the race on Sunday is quite incredible too... low 50F, high 80F, and should be about 70F when I finish around noon (starts at 8). I may be able to go without a shirt, which is my ideal.
    the leaves here aren't quite at their peak (I'd guess about 20-30%), but should be better up at the marathon start, and not too bad in downtown Scranton.
    as The Office supposedly takes place in Scranton, several actors are usually at the finish. I'm hoping to get some pictures with any that show up

just one more short (~2 mile) run tomorrow, then hope for the best Sunday.
    Categories
    Running
  17. Blog catchup Fri-Mon 0930-10032011

by , October 4th, 2011 at 02:17 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    did go to the gym on Friday afternoon and got in a great little workout--
    Tmill: 33 min, 429 cal, 3.77 miles, avg 6.8 mph
    2 min warmup
    4 min at 6.8-6.9
    3 min at 7.0 to 7.4
    2 min at 7.5-7.6
    1 min at 7.7-7.8
    2 min warmdown
    (was gonna stop earlier but 99 red balloons played, good thing I stopped, next was gaga-Fernando)

Leg rolling: about 6-7 min (forgot to set my phone timer, but all of Money Money, part of another song)

Elliptical 576i: 10 min, 122 cal, 1.05 miles, crossramp 8. Resistance: 8 for 2 min, 9-10 for 3 each, 8 for 2

Incline situps: 3 x 20

Decline bench: 3 x 10 x 135, 1 x 10 x 145

Lifefitness triceps extension: 1 x 15 x 65, 1 x 12 x 110, 1 x 10 x 125

Universal machine seated row: 1 x 15 x 90, 2 x 12 x 135

Star trak pec fly: 1 x 15 x 120, 1 x 12 x 165, 1 x 10 x 180, 1 x 8 x 195

Then got in a nice run yesterday morning--
    Ran Paseo Trail, Ray Rd to about Queen Creek 9.4 mi 01:21 08:37 pace

Taper continues and goes into full force after today. Slept a little later, then took Holly (the dog) with me for a run along the Consolidated Canal. We went up to Ray Rd, stopping at the park at Chandler/Cooper for drinks. Before dropping her off, I did a little bit on Willis Rd, then took the back way behind the community. Went back out solo, south...and ran into the local National Guard unit doing their 2-mile PT test. Went out around Los Arboles park to avoid the crowd, then got back on the trail to see how fast these guys are...and I was faster without sprinting. Then had my last mile faster to my finish. Weather wasn't bad, 75-80, sunny, and low humidity. Splits: 8:39, 8:47, 9:03, 8:44, 8:36, 8:43, 8:27, 8:43, 8:22, 7:33.
    Distance: 9.40 mi
    Time: 1:21:10
    Avg Pace: 8:38 min/mi
    Elevation Gain: 12 ft
    Calories: 1,252 C
    Avg Pace: 8:38 min/mi
    Avg Moving Pace: 8:32 min/mi
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/118582206

It was kind of fun watching the National Guard people doing their 2-mile run. I've seen this before, but it has been several years. It would have been more fun if I had Holly with me and passed them.

then I went to Mesa-Kino for the AM Masters swim workout this morning
    we were in the main pool, SCY
    Paul and Laura were coaching, I was on Paul's side

300 w/u choice

800 long & smooth

8 x 50 @ :10 rest, odds free, evens kick
    400 neg split

800 long & smooth, with first 25 of every 100 non-free (did it back)

400 continuous swim with fins, 25 free/25 kick on back
    400 neg split (supposed to be fins + paddles), with paddles + buoy

200 w/d

TTL: 3700 yards

after workout I asked Paul when his kick-focus is ending, and he just smiled. I told him I wouldn't be doing much next week, but then I said that I'm not doing much anyway.
    was a nice little stretch-out swim

then went to the gym tonight after work--
    Elliptical 100i: 22 min, 296 cal, 2.11 miles
    5 min resistance 8
    5 min at 9
    5 min at 10
    5 at 11
    1 at 10-9

Leg rolling: 4 min

Hammer strength seated biceps: 1 x 15 x 45, 1 x 12 x 70, 1 x 10 x 80, 1 x 10 x 85

Hammer strength high row: 1 x 15 x 90, 2 x 10 x 180

Freemotion chinup machine: 2 x 10 x 24, 1 x 10 x 18, lower weight is harder

Lifefitness abdominal: 1 x 25 x 115, 1 x 20 x 135, 1 x 10 x 155

Star trak rear delt: 1 x 15 x 60, 1 x 12 x 75, 1 x 10 x 90

gym was super busy, there was a line waiting for treadmills. after I was on the elliptical I looked around and nearly all of those filled too. even the evil stair machines filled. not sure why so many people were there...
    so I figured it was fate, I was going to do a short run, but didn't want to wait, so the elliptical worked for my taper.
    weights were more taper-focused too.

we finally moved into the new office today. after 6+ years working at my other office, and being told when I interviewed that we'd be moving, it should have been a great day. however, the good news was muted by other news that came out late Friday...about 10 people from my group are having their jobs eliminated, including the guy next to me now. while some of us were ordering new business cards and such, he was probably posting for internal jobs.
    according to my manager, this is the end of the job cuts, that she is aware of, at this time.

the new office is super close to both home (~7 miles), the Kino pool (~3 miles), and there's tons of stuff nearby, including a Starbucks almost across the street. I had never been to that Starbucks before, but went in this morning, and there was just 1 other customer. I asked the workers where the rush was, and they said, "this is it." it is just outside of a movie theater, and they get much more business later in the day. good news for someone like me, going on the way to work.

I'm planning on a rare Tues morning appearance at Kino tomorrow. may do a short run after work, before I catch the redeye flight to PHL (at least my upgrade is already confirmed on that)

had been eying a MacBook Air for a while now...and I got one over the weekend as an early birthday present

oh, and on travel news... I usually do a crazy trip mostly to get miles 1-2 times a year. my last was in May 2010, when I went to Madrid, but got caught up in the volcano mess on the way back, took an overnight train to Lisbon to get home.
    anyway, I booked a completely insane trip last Thursday to Hong Kong in mid-Nov. only I'll be flying to the east coast first to fly EWR-HKG, and returning HKG-ORD (plus a bit more on either side of those). I've never really been to Hong Kong; when I was in Korea in the Army I went through there on my way to Thailand and Australia, but I didn't leave the plane (same plane Seoul-Hong Kong-Bangkok). this should certainly be an interesting trip. certainly open to ideas if anyone has been.
  18. Thurs 09292011, AM Run & mid-day swim

by , September 29th, 2011 at 06:06 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    got out for my planned run this morning--

Paseo Trail, home to Paseo Vista Park 6.29 mi 00:53 08:29 pace

Felt nice to sleep in an extra hour, now that the weather is cooling it isn't too bad out (mid-70s). Took Holly (my dog) with me along the Consolidated Canal, we went south this time, down to Paseo Vista Park. Stopped there for drinks, then headed back. There aren't as many people along the canal this way, which is nice. Plus Holly likes to see the cows. It felt pretty good, I actually was pulling Holly for much of the last half (except when we past some people walking their dogs). Splits: 8:20, 8:25, 8:43, 8:15, 8:43, 8:33, 8:29.
    Distance: 6.29 mi
    Time: 53:30
    Calories: 841 C
    Avg Moving Pace: 8:23 min/mi
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/117885927

this felt surprisingly good, considering I did a somewhat quality treadmill run before weights last night. my legs are gradually recovering from all the distance running I've been doing lately.
    just a 10 mile (or so) run Sunday, then I really drop the distance next week before my race.

I felt so good after my run this morning, I decided I'd head over to the mid-day swim workout with the team.
    went to Skyline Aquatic Center, we were in the main pool (SCY)
    coach Meg was on deck

I got there around the same time as a triathlete gal who is doing the Kona Ironman (the same day as my marathon), and I decided to do a donkey distance set with her (similar speed)

500 w/u

250-500-1000-500-250, supposed to get faster on each
    (didn't get all the times, but my last 500 was 6:28, and last 250 was 3:10)

100 easy

20 x 50 @ :55, done as--
    1 fast/1 easy
    2 fast/1 easy
    3 fast/1 easy
    4 fast/1 easy
    5 fast/1 easy
    (held around 33 on each; was a struggle on that last set)

200 w/d

TTL: 4300 yards

this was a perfect set for me today! and it really helped having someone to swim it with, even better that we were so close.
    not much to say about that distance set, other than it is always good to finish.
    the 50s were kind of interesting, the fast ones really sneak on you before you know it. I probably held a little faster toward the beginning, but by the round of 4, I was hurting. on the 5, my calves started cramping, but somehow I hung on

MUCH better than going to the crappy indoor gym pool.
    temps were in the low to mid 90s, it was nice and sunny, but the water felt perfect. a bit brisk for the first ~200 yards, but that quickly wore off.

oh, I chatted with the tri gal after. just for kicks, I asked her what her marathon time is. of course she then asked, "solo or in an Ironman?" I said either. In an Ironman she said she does about 3:45....which is still faster than my solo marathon time.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Running
  19. Tuesday Sep 27, AM Run & PM Swim

by , September 28th, 2011 at 02:17 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    met up with Urmas this morning for our 'usual' run--
    Phoenix: Arizona Canal, 36th to 16th Street 6.73 mi 00:57 08:26 pace

Met Urmas this morning, and we went up to the Arizona Canal to run. Well we ran together for about a mile, then he took off. We went west this time, makes it easier crossing streets since there are underpasses, but it is more crowded, and there's bikes too. He said he'd go 3.5 miles, then turn around, and I said I'd turn when I saw him. I made it 3.3 miles before I saw him. Didn't feel fantastic, but not too bad. The bad thing about running west at first is after the turnaround, the sun was in my eyes the whole way back. Temps pretty nice, mid-70s. Splits: 8:25, 8:38, 8:28, 8:28, 8:36, 8:23, 7:57.
    Distance: 6.73 mi
    Time: 56:51
    Elevation Gain: 24 ft
    Calories: 909 C
    Avg Moving Pace: 8:23 min/mi
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/117602768

funny, there's underpasses at all roads except 32nd St, and of course on the way back I got stuck there for what seemed like forever waiting for cars. just when I walked to the other side of the canal to the pedestrian crossing (and the walk button), there was a break in traffic.
    normally, I'd be happy with this run. but I've had some really great ones recently, so this just seemed ok.

I have about 99% of my office packed up or thrown out. it seems so odd to sit in the empty office, hear things echoing. although I'm glad to move to a newer/closer place, it is kind of surreal going through this.

then I went over to Mesa-Kino for the 6pm Masters workout.
    we were in the main pool, north side (SCY)
    coach Jack was on deck

warm-up set--
    200 swim/200 kick/200 pull

3 x (4 x 50) @ 1:00, desc 1-4
    rounds 1 & 3 free, round 2 stroke (did breast)

500 w/fins done as 25 easy free/25 easy kick on back

12 x 100 @ 2:00, done with each 25 a focus on something--
    1st 25: focus on the initial catch
    2nd 25: focus on the pull
    3rd 25: focus on the final pull/exit
    4th 25: put it all together

200 w/d

TTL: 2900 yards

as I was walking over to our area, I chatted with Laura and Meg, who were coaching 11-12 year old kids. they always invite me to swim with them, and I always decline. today I said, "the sad thing is, these kids are probably faster than I am." but then Laura said the fastest hold 100s on 1:20, so I guess not quite...yet at least.
    just as we were getting started, a nice dust storm rolled through the area. it really dropped the temps, and I'm sure Jack felt it a bit, but in the water it wasn't too bad.
    the workout felt pretty good, a nice little stretch out.
    when we were starting, Jack must have been joking and said, "hope you're ready to swim fast. we'll be doing block starts and sprints." I was glad we didn't; I'm opting out of anything like that until after my race. no need to risk injuring myself...I've bashed my shin against a block before and it wasn't pretty.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Running
  20. Sunday-Monday 0925-09262011

by , September 27th, 2011 at 01:56 AM (aztimm's training blog)
    had a pretty good weekend in Boston. I was there for a Flyertalk.com website meeting; about once a year all of the moderators get together, discuss various things about the website, how to be better at moderating, and of course tons of travel stories. I flew in on Friday, just in time to partake in a happy hour, the meeting was all day Sat, then dinner/drinks Sat night.

really really had a tough time getting going on Sunday. I had wanted to run 12-15 miles, but that didn't happen--
    Boston: Harborside trail through UMass, Dorchester, S Boston 8.67 mi 01:17 08:55 pace

A couple of glasses of wine with dinner last night nearly did me in for running today. Slept until 10, didn't get out until 10:30, and it was already in the mid-70s and very humid. Just ran from my hotel, through the UMass campus, then along the Harborside trail through Dorchester, South Boston, and up near Logan Airport. There was a bike race on the trail, which made things a little crowded in spots, but I swiped water from a couple of aid stations (didn't wear my water belt), so I guess we're even. Just wasn't feeling it today, but I guess this is better than nothing, and I felt better after.
    I'm having trouble getting the data to view through the Garmin site, but you can look at the route here:
    http://www.dailymile.com/people/aztimm/entries/10043973
    if you scroll around, you can see I was just under the flight path for Logan. along with looking out at the water, watching the bike thing going on (and trying to avoid bikes), I was doing some plane spotting

of course after I checked out and looked through the hotel info, I found out that I could have swum at the UMass pool for free. oh well, something for next time I'm there.

For someone who rarely drinks, to drink 2 days in a row was a huge mistake. It really wasn't much, 3 beers on Friday night (2 Sam Adams Octoberfest, one regular lager), then 3 glasses of wine on Saturday (all Pinot Noir), but evidently it was enough. That plus the time change, the weather (was rainy on Friday), and not sleeping enough (the meeting...) probably all contributed. I was glad I didn't have to rush on Sunday, I got a late checkout (1pm), and just had a casual trip back to Logan for my 4:30 BOS-PHX flight (no, I wasn't upgraded, but was in an exit row). and the flight even got in early (as opposed to my flight there which was a mess).

shockingly, I had a tough time getting up this morning. we got a call at 2am; don't know who it was, but it scared the heck out of me.
    anyway, I did make it to the AM swim workout this morning @ Mesa-Kino
    we were on the north side of the pool (SCM)
    Paul and Laura were on deck, I was on Paul's side

got in 350 warm-up various

9 x 100 kick @ :10 rest, 2 easy/1 fast
    (I used fins, board on some, and did one of the easy on each round back)

400 done 25 non-free/50 free/25 free with an exaggerated glide
    (did my non-free breast)

9 x 75 @ 3rd person's finish +5
    (I didn't quite get the whole set, but I think it was 25 fast/50 easy, 50 fast/25 easy, all fast. my lane pulled it)

400 pull, 2-3 breaths per 25 (I pulled and did some that little, most 4-5 breaths)

9 x 50, desc 1-3
    3 free @ 1:00
    3 stroke @ 1:10 (I did breast)
    3 kick @ 1:20 (I kicked, board/no fins)

200 w/d

TTL: 3400m

I guess the pool was left SCM after the meet, so we got to take advantage of that. but Paul and Laura were pulling the lanelines as we were finishing, so I think it will be back to SCY tomorrow.
    we started off with hardly anyone, I was in a lane solo for the warm-up. then suddenly it got super-busy, Paul moved me to a faster lane, and we ended up with 3 in our lane (most had 3-4)
    generally my swim felt kind of meh. was glad to go I guess and iron out some kinks, but certainly didn't do anything earth-shattering.
    Laura talked to me afterward, said she caught some of my breast and that my hands are pausing a little mid-cycle. she suggested doing the free kick/breast pull drill and it should help. I really hate that drill...I seem to have to concentrate to get my legs to do free while my arms to breast. but I did some after that, and I'll try to squeeze a little into my warm-ups/warm-downs, if nothing else.

after another pretty busy (yet productive) day at work, then I went to the gym. just 2 more days in this office, I'm 'office-less' on Thurs-Fri (will work from home), then show up at the new place next Monday. I'm starting to think that I may need to adjust which gyms I go to, where I run, etc. my new office will be 7 miles from home, and about 3-4 miles from Kino, so that won't change, although I may sneak out for a noon swim every now and then (nothing quite like swimming outside in sunshine in the winter here). there's 2 other 24 Hour gyms I may go to (Chandler or Gilbert), or just keep where I usually go. and I'll probably do the bulk of my running near home...can run with Holly, still have time to shower, eat breakfast at home, and do the 7 mile drive to the office, and be there for 8ish.

so I stopped by the 24 Hour Fitness @ Mesa-Riverview after work and did the following--

Tmill: 22 min, 271 cal, 2.4 miles, avg 6.5 mph
    2 min warmup
    3 min at 6.8-6.9
    2 min at 7.0 to 7.4
    During 7.5 got a cramp in my left abs, walked, tried at it again but no dice
    2+ min warmdown

Flat bench dbbell press: 1 x 12 x 45, 1 x 12 x 60, 1 x 12 x 65, 1 x 9 x 70

Triceps skull crushers: 4 x 12 x 65 + 6

Star trak pec fly: 1 x 15 x 120, 1 x 12 x 165, 1 x 12 x 180, 1 x 10 x 195

Lifefitness triceps press: 1 x 15 x 90, 1 x 12 x 110, 1 x 10 x 130

Hanging leg raise: 1 x 10, 2 x 12

Hoist roc it abs machine: 1 x 40 x 90, 1 x 25 x 100, 1 x 12 x 110

I guess what I got on the treadmill was a side stitch? It happened a few weeks ago, but on the other side of my abs. Really a pinching feeling, I tried pulling/poking/took my inhaler, nearly anything, but it wouldn't work itself out. that and being on a treadmill makes it so much easier to just stop -v- when I'm outside miles from home and have to get home anyway. I was shooting for ~3 miles, so I can't complain about 2.4.
    given that, maybe it wasn't such a good idea to do so much abs...don't know why I didn't think of that at the time. but the leg raises felt so good, as did the abs machine.
    I wanted a flat or decline bench, but the only benches available were incline, which I just did last week. so did the dumbbell presses instead, and probably pushed those a bit much...my max for that is 75, and the 70s today didn't feel bad, but I was glad to be done.
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast