Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Great job on the hanging leg raises. The limiting factor on those for me is forearm strength.
    Yea I guess if I did these first it would be easier. I usually do abs last, but my arms are sometimes fried by my other weights.

So you'll be at the Boston meet on Dec 10? I may make an appearance. Checking with SwimStud on seed times so we can try to at least be in the same heats. Airfare is pretty cheap, and hotels are surprisingly reasonable (just need to find one not too far).
    Great job on the hanging leg raises. The limiting factor on those for me is forearm strength.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    It was probably a six beat. Surprisingly useful, not surprisingly painful.
    Probably.
    Yesterday Jack described my normal kick as one leg kinda kicking, the other just floating along. When I think--and force myself to kick--it makes me a little faster.

A while ago (maybe even last year) I did a drill set with Laura where we did kicking, from 2 beat to 12 beat. That was interesting.
    It was probably a six beat. Surprisingly useful, not surprisingly painful.
    really, how someone looks is absolutely no indication how fast or slow they are in the water.
    So true.
    Quote Originally Posted by chowmi
    That is a tough set if you do it on-your-honor fast 100 into the fast 50! Do you get your choice of active recovery? Can you even just sit out or do bobs?
    Yea, that's the nice thing about this set. For someone like me, I could swim all I wanted. For some reason I was in the mood for 50s on 50 today. Jack gave a 4 min, and 2 min warning.
    And some people just hung on the wall and chatted.
    That is a tough set if you do it on-your-honor fast 100 into the fast 50! Do you get your choice of active recovery? Can you even just sit out or do bobs?
    Cool pictures. No idea why I didn't see this earlier.
    so now I've swum in 4 different pools this week--
    24 Hour Chandler
    24 Hour Gilbert
    24 Hour Mesa
    Mesa-Kino
    Way to go Patrick!!
    I like the Laura set.

It takes very little help to make a big difference when spotting and worst case you start dumping weight. The guy was benching 275 without a spot? Genius.

What do you leg raise too? 90 degrees, feet to hand height, shins to hands?
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    I have to remember to break out my parachute from time to time. Not sure I'm ready for a bucket, though. That sounds even more excruciating.
    Yea Paul seems to be on an equipment kick lately. First the monofins, then parachutes, cinder blocks, now buckets and I even saw some kettle bells yesterday (but I avoided those). I think he put one (20#) in a bucket for someone else, then had him swim.
    I have to remember to break out my parachute from time to time. Not sure I'm ready for a bucket, though. That sounds even more excruciating.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Does Paul always coach the D group?

I guess you're pretty proficient at those hanging leg raises now!
    Every once in a while Paul and Laura will switch things up. Laura's workouts are much more difficult. That said, I should probably go over to her side of the pool if they don't switch, since it has been a while since I've done one of her sets.

Yea, I took some time off from everything around the marathon, but most abs stuff didn't take as long to get back to. Even the hanging leg raises. I still want to get up to 3 x 15.
    Forgot to mention that I ran into Lindsey at the gym....she was doing sets of the ladder drills with box jumps on the 3 foot stool. Then later on we ran into each other doing pullups (she said she does 4 x 5). We were saying that Paul should have a pullup bar put in at Kino (there's one at ASU Mona that we'd sometimes use).
    Updated October 25th, 2011 at 12:00 PM by aztimm (Typo)
    Does Paul always coach the D group?

I guess you're pretty proficient at those hanging leg raises now!
    I come up with the most boring set in the world and everyone copies it.

Are you not recovered from the run? You should have made the 1:20s but the hard part about that set is picking up the pace after cruising the early part.
    I think you said it best in another post, it is simple to remember, no need to write down, and challenging at the same time.

If that 1 day per mile recovery holds true, I won't be fully recovered until Nov 4. But you're right I should have made it. If only my legs weren't already trashed from running earlier yesterday.
    I come up with the most boring set in the world and everyone copies it.

Are you not recovered from the run? You should have made the 1:20s but the hard part about that set is picking up the pace after cruising the early part.
    Updated October 21st, 2011 at 11:18 AM by qbrain
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    I actually used to have a book about abs (maybe I still do somewhere), and it said that holding your breath and pulling your abs in (and up) was a good exercise. I used to do this when I had a long commute (the drive from Chandler to North Scottsdale was horrible during rush hour).

Not quite sure what the point of the block is for a masters swimmer, other than possibly a fun diversion from a tough workout.
    haha, I meant sitting at my desk and holding my breath was just as effective teaching swimming breath control as walking underwater holding a brick.
    Sounds as useful as sitting at my desk holding my breath.
    I actually used to have a book about abs (maybe I still do somewhere), and it said that holding your breath and pulling your abs in (and up) was a good exercise. I used to do this when I had a long commute (the drive from Chandler to North Scottsdale was horrible during rush hour).

Not quite sure what the point of the block is for a masters swimmer, other than possibly a fun diversion from a tough workout.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    I guess it has something to do with breath control
    Sounds as useful as sitting at my desk holding my breath.
    Obviously that would improve your swimming. I like your solution better.
    I guess it has something to do with breath control, you try to walk as far as you can across the pool, before setting down the block, surfacing for air, then going back down.

My solution was rather tough, and a 25 was pushing it. Reminded me more of water polo practice, or maybe even when I was in the Army and we'd have to swim in uniform with one of the fake M16's. Swimming in combat boots isn't much fun either.