Blog Comments

Looks awesome! Glad you had fun. I haven't been there in a zillion years, but would definitely not want to be there for the Olympics. I would love to try paddle boarding, but I've heard it's much harder than it looks.
    Quote Originally Posted by __steve__
    Nice pics Tim!

Water there will be even cooler for the Olympics in August
    Actually the water near Rio was close to the coolest will get. Should only get warmer after today.

I stayed almost right across from the Maria Lenk aquatic center, but unfortunately they didn't let me swim there
    Nice pics Tim!

Water there will be even cooler for the Olympics in August
    ocean was actually warming up nicely after the very cool spring, but then that tropical storm cam up the coast a few weeks back and pushed the warm water out and the cold water in. its now pretty much low 60s and too cold for me without a wetsuit. Great that you go in.
    According to seatemperature.org, Coney Island was at 61˚F today, and that is 4˚F below average!

I would've lasted maybe 3 minutes in there lol
    Lovin the goatee

Enjoy Rio

Don't do OW there!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sojerz
    Great schedule of races and taking advantage of the summer. Are you thinking of any cycling races?
    Thanks! You should come join me for the 5k near Hazleton.
    I haven't been on my bike for over 2 years now. Perhaps I'll start again, but if I do I need to just keep it in check. I went way overboard with first running, then cycling.
    I'm really enjoying just hiking with my dog. There are some great trails close to where we live, and on some trails I may not see anyone else (one is crazy busy).
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    did you go to the lake in Austin where it is the place to go to swim? I forgot the name. The pics of it look cool from what people posted on facebook.
    I bet you mean Barton Springs!
    https://austintexas.gov/department/barton-springs-pool

I've gone to check it out, I think that was back in Feb, but the air temp was way too cold for swimming. but I remember there were at least 10-15 people there, some going off the diving boards.

It has been closed for at least the past few weeks due to all of the water releases coming down the river. We've had so much rain that all of the reservoirs are 100%+ full. I'd expect it will be closed for at least another 2 weeks.
    did you go to the lake in Austin where it is the place to go to swim? I forgot the name. The pics of it look cool from what people posted on facebook.
    Great schedule of races and taking advantage of the summer. Are you thinking of any cycling races?
    I've heard great things about the Highland Lakes swims. You should definitely go for those.
    Glad your trip went well. As for Cactus, especially when you factor in lane availability, cost and quality, it's one of the best overall values for lap swimming out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Enjoy your trip back here. I'm sure this is out of your way, but I'm going to try the Kiwanis Wave Pool lap swimming on Thursday morning (http://www.tempe.gov/home/showdocument?id=36568) as I want to add that to my pool list and I have a conference at the Arizona Grand that I need to check into by 9:30am. I'm hoping to be there at the pool around 7:45am or 8am. I have no idea what kind of crowds I'll face.
    And here I thought I might see you at Cactus
    I'll probably be there bright and early at 6am. That is sleeping in, compared with my 5:30am time here, along with a 2 hour time change.

I've never swum Kiwanis, and didn't realize that they did lap swim. I've run around it in the park.
    Have you swum at the ASU SRC, or whatever they're calling it these days...or at Mesa's Rhodes pool? You could swim at either of those, in a team environment, and get a new pool.

Whatever you do, DO NOT take the US-60 from Mesa/Tempe over...much faster to just use Baseline.

If you want a good coffee shop, go to Steve's Espresso:
    http://www.stevesespresso.com/
    A gal who swims with the ASU group is related to the owner. They'll do almost whatever you want done with coffee (and I think you're a coffee person).
    On the SE corner of Baseline/McClintock. You can mention me, the owner knows me, or Lori (you probably know her, she rarely does swim meets anymore but has done Ironman AZ several times).
    Enjoy your trip back here. I'm sure this is out of your way, but I'm going to try the Kiwanis Wave Pool lap swimming on Thursday morning (http://www.tempe.gov/home/showdocument?id=36568) as I want to add that to my pool list and I have a conference at the Arizona Grand that I need to check into by 9:30am. I'm hoping to be there at the pool around 7:45am or 8am. I have no idea what kind of crowds I'll face.
    Nice descend on the fast 50s!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sojerz
    Interesting, found and tried the same thing this morning on my turns. We slowed the interval down and it gave me a chance to think without just flopping over.
    Totally agree. Sometimes it is important to have a longer interval, focus on different things...and go fast!
    Interesting, found and tried the same thing this morning on my turns. We slowed the interval down and it gave me a chance to think without just flopping over.
    If memory serves me, you can handle cold water better than I. I know Barton Springs stays approximately the same temperature year round, but I remember only being able to enjoy it in the summer months. I really do need to get back there, though, and try it out again. Have a great weekend.
    It's great that you have in- and outdoor options at you new home for swimming, Tim!
    Quote Originally Posted by flystorms
    I'm so envious of the outdoor swimming. Wish we had it here.
    I swim with the team inside M-F, so I really enjoy swimming at this pool on weekends when I can and get some outside swimming.

Aren't you in the DFW area? Aren't there any outside heated pools? Weather shouldn't be too different than here in metro Austin.
Page 6 of 144 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast