Blog Comments

I'm so envious of the outdoor swimming. Wish we had it here.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    You know what they say if you don't like the summer in Arizona, "go home, snowbird!"

Having lived in Austin, albeit years ago, I get what you're saying. Fortunately, Austin has plenty of other charms to compensate for sometimes wacky weather.
    After living in AZ for 20 years, I just got used to the weather being pretty similar most of the time, with gradual increases/decreases from summer to winter. There usually weren't these wild temperature swings. In the month we've been here, I think we've seen hail/snow, plenty of rain, high winds, highs near 80, and lows near 20.

At least the pool is inside, so we don't have to deal with weather...once you're there.

And one positive of the Austin area is KUT. Not sure if you're an NPR listener, but KUT is miles above KJZZ in Phoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    You know what they say if you don't like the weather in Texas...wait 24hrs because it will be different.

Are you you training with Mr Unruh?
    I guess the weather up in the DFW area must be pretty similar to here. Do you have Cedar Trees too? Evidently some people are very allergic. They haven't bothered me, but I've heard that they usually don't, the first year.
    I see deer at least twice a week too (plus plenty of other critters).

Yea, when I reference, "fast guys," one is usually Mr Unruh. We've had a young guy (I'd guess mid/late 20s) for the past 2 weeks too.
    To say that, "I train with him," wouldn't be correct. If he slows down his intervals enough then I can sometimes muddle along
    You know what they say if you don't like the weather in Texas...wait 24hrs because it will be different.
    You know what they say if you don't like the summer in Arizona, "go home, snowbird!"

Having lived in Austin, albeit years ago, I get what you're saying. Fortunately, Austin has plenty of other charms to compensate for sometimes wacky weather.

Are you you training with Mr Unruh?
    I don't have the luxury to ride due to location. It's possible, just not worthwhile.

I just run 1.5 miles every Sunday.
    Quote Originally Posted by __steve__
    You're still cycling and running, just not blogging it?
    No I'm not. How about you?
    You're still cycling and running, just not blogging it?
    Quote Originally Posted by BrendaL
    I missed my 500 mile goal too! November and December were just crazy this year.. I was 20 to 30 miles ahead at one point... then came the holidays! But the goal isn't really 500 miles, it's feeling really joyful in the pool! YAY you... 476 is great!
    I think just having the goal at all gives me the motivation to get out of bed on days when I might rather just turn off the alarm and sleep more! That seems to be half the battle with working out, just getting started. And if setting a reasonable (or maybe just a bit too distant) goal helps, then all the better
    I missed my 500 mile goal too! November and December were just crazy this year.. I was 20 to 30 miles ahead at one point... then came the holidays! But the goal isn't really 500 miles, it's feeling really joyful in the pool! YAY you... 476 is great!
    great sale news!
    Fantastic news about the house!
    I only dropped into Nitro two times, but I really liked the pool and the team. Yes, it's a little shallow and not quite like what you were used to at Kino, but combining a good team, a solid training pool and ~10 minutes from your house should make for great training.

Yes, the I-35 is a mess. It was a mess ~30 years ago when I moved there for college and the population was probably half (or less than that) of what it is today. Austin has grown amazingly and the ring-road highways have improved, but they've done nothing to increase capacity through town.
    haha, compared with Kino, even swimming in the Barcelona Olympic pool was a letdown
    I guess if I drove down to UT, I could get something close in quality, but then I'd have ~30 min drive, traffic, and all kinds of parking drama.
    considering Nitro is 5-10 min away from home (closer to 5 today), it is definitely a decent pool with great coaches. and it isn't as shallow as I thought, at least the SCY lane I was in today was close to 6' (not quite the 8' of Kino tho).

I only drive the I-35 a few miles between RM 1431 and the Georgetown exit, and the reverse. I have no idea why the southbound backs up that far north in the afternoon. I'd use another route, but the closest alternative is pretty far out of the way. the only time we drove to downtown Austin, around 10am on a Sunday morning, the I-35 was stop/go. I don't even want to think how it is during normal rush hour.
    we have decided to invest in Texas Tags though, and not hesitate to use toll roads if they make sense. eventually we'll visit my sister in the Houston area, and we'd pretty much need to use some toll roads to get there.
    I only dropped into Nitro two times, but I really liked the pool and the team. Yes, it's a little shallow and not quite like what you were used to at Kino, but combining a good team, a solid training pool and ~10 minutes from your house should make for great training.

Yes, the I-35 is a mess. It was a mess ~30 years ago when I moved there for college and the population was probably half (or less than that) of what it is today. Austin has grown amazingly and the ring-road highways have improved, but they've done nothing to increase capacity through town.
    Good for you. I hope you can train with them, especially if Steve's coaching.
    Sounds like he's doing more swimming now.

There's a couple of other groups that I might try out too. Since I'll be working in Georgetown, I'll try that group (bonus is that they switch to a 50m outside pool in summer). There's also AquaTex in Round Rock.
    But barring something unusual, I'll swim with Nitro. Just 5-10 min from home, and maybe 20 min to work (when I go to the office), with workouts 6 days a week.
    Nitro has a rather convincing swimmer on the USMS forums who's been trying to get me on their team
    Good for you. I hope you can train with them, especially if Steve's coaching.
    Are you planning on changing your forum handle to TexasTimm? I know your not a swim meet guy but hopefully we can change that when your in Austin. Good luck with the packing. I know from past experience that no matter how smooth a move goes it's still a stressful thing. Good luck!
    I've been thinking of changing my handle, both here and on some other forums. I'm thinking of something more generic, without a regional tie-in, just in case

I'm not necessarily anti-meet. In the ~20 years I've done masters swimming, I've probably done about 10-15 meets, and I even did the New England SCM meet 3 times. When I was diagnosed with A Fib last year, the doctor told me to avoid doing things that raise my heart rate too much, for fear it won't go back down. Most events at a swim meet definitely get my heart rate up there.
    I did a 5k open water swim in August without issue, and I plan to repeat it next year. Austin has an awesome lake swim series in October, and I plan to do that next year (definitely the last leg in Lake Travis, the others depending on how much vacation I have left). I haven't yet looked, but I'd certainly be interested in other open water events (there must be something near Galveston or Corpus Christi).
    I could probably swim the longer events at a meet.
    Are you planning on changing your forum handle to TexasTimm? I know your not a swim meet guy but hopefully we can change that when your in Austin. Good luck with the packing. I know from past experience that no matter how smooth a move goes it's still a stressful thing. Good luck!
    Yeah, good luck with the move! Good time of year to move to Texas (we moved in July/August... which was pretty brutal with the heat), temps finally starting to moderate a bit.
    House looks awesome.

By the looks of things you are pretty close to Nitro. They have a small but dedicated masters group led by my buddy Mr Unruh. Good luck on the drive and I hope the move goes great.
    Yea it is about 10 minutes to Nitro Cedar Park. I'll either swim with them or AquaTex, which is about 5 minutes from where my office will be. I'm very lucky that there's several masters group in that area.
Page 7 of 144 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast