Blog Comments

House looks awesome.

By the looks of things you are pretty close to Nitro. They have a small but dedicated masters group led by my buddy Mr Unruh. Good luck on the drive and I hope the move goes great.
    Congradulations on the nice new house!
    House looks great ... that is a long drive, even moreso with pets. Good luck with that. I don't think you've ever mentioned camping and this is not a fancy idea, but KOAs have cabins and take pets. It just might be better to have a stopover than a long day in a car with your feline and canine friends.
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    I recall having my arm twisted by my coach to attend a week long swim camp in Denmark as a teenage boy. When we arrived at the pool I quickly noticed that the girls on Danish,Dutch, Swedish and Norwegian teams were all swimming topless. It made concentrating on swimming a real challenge. The coach did not have any issues with boys signing up for the same camp in future years.
    I know this isn't pc, but why the heck didn't my coach know about this?!
    I recall having my arm twisted by my coach to attend a week long swim camp in Denmark as a teenage boy. When we arrived at the pool I quickly noticed that the girls on Danish,Dutch, Swedish and Norwegian teams were all swimming topless. It made concentrating on swimming a real challenge. The coach did not have any issues with boys signing up for the same camp in future years.
    I have a harder time flying west too. Except it takes me more than a few days to adjust. Sounds like you had a great trip and you got in a lot of swimming!
    No pics of the topless girl? Probably burned into your mind for better or for worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by __steve__
    You left your shorts at the beach?

There's plenty of good bike riding in Spain too
    Yea I left my shorts on the beach while I swam in my brief.

I haven't ridden in over a year, don't think this would be the time to get back into it.
    You left your shorts at the beach?

There's plenty of good bike riding in Spain too
    Very cool and very jealous. I was in Barcelona a couple of times with my last job for work, but was always just slammed with meetings and never made it out to the Olympic pool. I hope you get there and get some more swims in the Med. Enjoy!
    That's awesome. Barcelona is a great city and you will have a lot of fun. Enjoy your time and your swimming. Safe travels.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    I was looking into working downtown, but after checking with some co-workers there, decided against it. They warned me how horrible the traffic is in Austin. Although it isn't nearly as big as metro Phoenix, the roads just haven't kept up with the population growth like here. So my office will be in Round Rock, about 15-20 min from home, and I'll still work from home 2-3 times a week like I do now.
    You are wise. Yes, the traffic there really sucks. I was there in January and it looks like the same basic freeways exist now that existed there 25-30 years ago.

Of course, when I was at UT, the only thing in Round Rock were country bars that had line dancing and cheap beer. It has grown a lot
    I was looking into working downtown, but after checking with some co-workers there, decided against it. They warned me how horrible the traffic is in Austin. Although it isn't nearly as big as metro Phoenix, the roads just haven't kept up with the population growth like here. So my office will be in Round Rock, about 15-20 min from home, and I'll still work from home 2-3 times a week like I do now.

The Nitro group seemed nice enough when I swam there, and I'm sure there are a few people I could swim with. They wouldn't be that far out of the way...but if there's another decent group (good coach, facility, and other swimmers to swim with) even more convenient, I'll probably take it.
    Having too many masters groups to choose from is a nice problem to have.
    It is. I've only swum with Nitro Cedar Park and Longhorn. If Longhorn was at all convenient for your work (probably not), I'd recommend that because it's big, the best pool and Whitney, the head coach, is fantastic.

I liked Nitro for the no frills training pool and great racing partner I had there.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Crazy shenanigans in the lane ... aren't there enough lanes you can move somewhere else?

Have you figured out where you'll train when you make the move to TX?
    I think since Paul started the workout early (we usually have open warmup for 15 min), there were several people who were, "late."
    I should have moved to another lane, would have been 4 in the lane, but better than where I was at.

I swam with Nitro (Cedar Park) when we visited Austin last month and I was just going to join them...but I just checked and found this team that will be close to my office and about the same distance from home as Nitro:
    https://aquatex.swimtopia.com/

Do you know anything about AquaTex?

There's a couple of other options too...
    * http://swimgeorgetown.com/
    * Round Rock Y (has a masters group)
    * http://www.teamunify.com/Home.jsp?_tabid_=0&team=stcps (downsides, a little further and only evening workouts)

My community will have a 25 yard lap pool, but I don't think it will be heated, which means I could only use it from about May through Sep.

I guess I can just roam for a while, try a few groups, go to the gym pool, and decide which works best.

Having too many masters groups to choose from is a nice problem to have.
    Crazy shenanigans in the lane ... aren't there enough lanes you can move somewhere else?

Have you figured out where you'll train when you make the move to TX?
    Awesome swim and report, Tim!
    Nice job in spite of the hurried start... great report!
    Sorry for the travel woes, but glad you got the swim in. It sounds like you had a hugely full day, so some R&R is in order.
    Have fun in Austin. Barton Springs is a must-swim location. Though I haven't swum with them, another Masters program to check out would be Rollingwood Pool - http://www.whac.org/programs/whacmas...sters-coaches/.