Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    hmm, are there any Olympians swimming in the meet?
    Not sure ... would that be an attractor or detractor for you?

will the water temp really be 80F?
    Not sure. I can ask my daughters who work and train at the pool what the temp has been lately.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    I don't see you signed up yet for the Cactus Heat-Stroker meet ... come on up to Scottsdale!
    hmm, are there any Olympians swimming in the meet?

I haven't swum in a LCM meet for several years. heck, I haven't swum in any meet for several years

will the water temp really be 80F?
    I don't see you signed up yet for the Cactus Heat-Stroker meet ... come on up to Scottsdale!
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    I suspect swimming is not your primary concern in the move. Austin is a fun town with lots to do and the area is pretty with rolling hills, and a big German influence in places like Frederickburg.
    It isn't a primary concern, but I've been swimming with masters groups for so long (I started in 1997 or 1998), that it has become part of my normal routine. Funny, some people who I swam with way back then, with the masters group at the U of A in Tucson, are now living in the Austin area.

If worst comes to worst, it looks like there's a few 24 Hour Fitness locations in/around Austin that have pools. While not the best, in a pinch, those will certainly suffice (and my membership is good at most clubs).
    Thanks! I don't know who that is, but I guess if I swim there I'd eventually see him (probably as he laps me multiple times , assuming he is super fast like you).
    There used to be a guy who swam with the UT masters team who blogged here, Ande, but I haven't seen him post much lately.
    Steve is a great guy(he is super fast) and if you would like an intro when you visit Austin let me know. I also know Ande Rasmussen and many others at Longhorn Aquatics. Let me know if I can help when/if you need intro's.

I suspect swimming is not your primary concern in the move. Austin is a fun town with lots to do and the area is pretty with rolling hills, and a big German influence in places like Frederickburg.
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    Austin is awesome. Steve Unruh(sunruh) lives near/in cedar park which is nw Austin and swims with nitro. Downtown it's hard to beat longhorn aquatics. If the opportunity pans out you will definitely like Austin.
    Thanks! I don't know who that is, but I guess if I swim there I'd eventually see him (probably as he laps me multiple times , assuming he is super fast like you).
    There used to be a guy who swam with the UT masters team who blogged here, Ande, but I haven't seen him post much lately.
    Austin is awesome. Steve Unruh(sunruh) lives near/in cedar park which is nw Austin and swims with nitro. Downtown it's hard to beat longhorn aquatics. If the opportunity pans out you will definitely like Austin.
    How the heck are you supposed to see the 15m mark in the lane line when you're underwater kicking?...
    Ah, the benefits of having very poor breath-holding ability! I simply don't have to worry about this. Oh, I can do a full 25 SDK if I rest for several minutes in advance, am willing to suffer enough and don't care if I get yelled at by the lifeguards, but at any reasonable swimming speed I've been unable to go more than about 7 or 8 yds off the wall - more like 6 yds when I am pushing the pace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    LCM 50s kick on the 1:00 interval are close to impossible for me. I can see where you might get off-interval. As you point out, you got a lot of distance covered in that workout.
    I forgot to mention that I wore fins for all of the kicks and the entire fly/kick set
    And most of the fly was 1-arm drill (after a bunch of dolphin kicks off the wall).

How the heck are you supposed to see the 15m mark in the lane line when you're underwater kicking? I asked Paul and he said, "count your kicks." I was usually right on it at 12 kicks, sometimes a little short, sometimes a bit over.
    LCM 50s kick on the 1:00 interval are close to impossible for me. I can see where you might get off-interval. As you point out, you got a lot of distance covered in that workout.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    YMMV, but IMO 2:10 is a pretty tight interval for LCM 150s. I can see where that would not allow for much rest.
    Yea I saw the leader for some of the sets, but that was definitely not one when I did. She was already pushing off when I was about to finish.
    YMMV, but IMO 2:10 is a pretty tight interval for LCM 150s. I can see where that would not allow for much rest.
    I read an article (not sure where/what source) that indicated there has NEVER been an incident of an indoor pool being struck or impacted by lightning. The article indicated that closing indoor pools due to lightning was unnecessary. That said, our Y closes immediately and for 20 min. after the last clap of thunder is heard. I think convincing them otherwise would be nearly impossible given their pension for safety. Can't say as I blame them.
    ha! this was SCY, no way I could come near these times for LCM. sorry if I was confusing.
    ok. still a very respectable performance, but I can pick my chin up off the floor now.

My best 100 free LCM (at a meet, off of a block) was about 1:08.
    I suspect that's about where I am too. I was 1:06.7x in 2011 and haven't raced it since.
    ha! this was SCY, no way I could come near these times for LCM. sorry if I was confusing.

My best 100 free LCM (at a meet, off of a block) was about 1:08.
    I'll second what Karl said. Great workout!

You'd do well in a 400/500 or 800/1000.
    ...1:20, 1:18, 1:15, 1:15, 1:14, 1:14, 1:13, 1:12, 1:10, 1:08
    That is a seriously good performance. You need to find a meet to go to soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by chowmi
    hi aztimm! was chowsh there? crowded workouts can either be really fun or really brutal - just depends on the set and your lanemates!

hope to see you at a meet in phx sometime! I was thinking about you yesterday - on my way back from the colonies zone meet, i flew from Dulles (IAD) and was shocked, absolutely shocked, that they do not currently have an admirals lounge. I was counting on charging my cell phone, swiping a few newpapers, the usual scooby snacks, and amusing myself in the women's lounge with the free lotion. instead, i had to duke it out with the communal charging stations at the gate and then fly back with dry skin. boo!
    haha, no I didn't see chowsh swimming. she usually swims with the ASU group, don't think I've ever seen her swim at Kino, other than meets.
    I swam with a kids group on vacation a few years ago, we probably had 8-10 in each lane and it worked well. but with adults, that just doesn't seem to work.

I ready your blog on the meet--sounds like you had a great time! plus of course some fast swimming!
    you should try the SCM meet in Boston in December. I've done it a few times and really like it. great facility, about a perfect sized group of swimmers, and everyone is very friendly. plus it is right on the Boston T, so easy to just take that to/from hotel and airport.

the PHX Swim Club is hosting a LCM meet in mid-May. they swim at some school, supposedly a newish pool (rebuilt 3 years ago). I might swim in it. been about 2 years since I've swum in a meet, and 3-4 since I've done a local one.
    hi aztimm! was chowsh there? crowded workouts can either be really fun or really brutal - just depends on the set and your lanemates!

hope to see you at a meet in phx sometime! I was thinking about you yesterday - on my way back from the colonies zone meet, i flew from Dulles (IAD) and was shocked, absolutely shocked, that they do not currently have an admirals lounge. I was counting on charging my cell phone, swiping a few newpapers, the usual scooby snacks, and amusing myself in the women's lounge with the free lotion. instead, i had to duke it out with the communal charging stations at the gate and then fly back with dry skin. boo!
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Tim,

Is there a pattern these days to which mornings are LCM vs SCY at Kino? Or, do you just show up each day and wonder what the pool configuration will be?
    Last week or the week before, Paul said that Fri-Sat-Sun-Mon would be LCM.

But this Monday I went, expecting LCM and the pool was SCY. Then Tuesday I went expecting SCY but it was LCM.
    I heard it was LCM yesterday, but I swam solo at Hamilton in Chandler (SCY).

I'll probably go Sunday (the Saturday workouts are at Rhodes for a while, which can't be LCM ), and we'll see if it is LCM--as it is supposed to be.
    It was LCM last Friday, I think. Perhaps the Easter holiday threw things off.

So I'd say just the later, show up and hope for the best.

I'm not really sure who determines the setup. Once when I went the main pool was just open with no ropes in the water. Dan asked me, and I told him I'd swim the LCM ropes down, so that's how we set it up. I'd do it LCM all the time if I had my choice (and I'd go more often too!)