Blog Comments

I've actually been thinking the same thing!! Will have to start that next week, though, as I am going out of town on Wed, and my schedule will be shot! BUT, I most likely will get some enforced rest!
    Glad you're starting to feel better! I don't know if your schedule will allow it, but you might think about scheduling the weights in the afternoon/evenings after your two hardest AM swim workouts of the week... almost like a double... but then you'll have more time to recover from the swim and weights before you have to swim really hard again, do a lot of drill work and easy swimming on the "rest" days and cluster the hard stuff into two days a week.
    I'd like to think it was only work! I'm afraid I may have been over-doing it on all accounts! But you're right - don't you hate it when work gets in the way of what you wish you could be doing!!?
    It sucks when work effects the quality of workout performance, especially when the body is screaming for a day or three of solid rest.
    Thanks - doing much better today!
    I hope the blues disappear soon. We all get them from time to time, so,keep your chin up and they will disappear soon enough. I hope you enjoy your trip.
    Food poisoning is horrible, what makes it worse is it's from poor food handling and preparation by people who don't care.

Agility paddles have made a termendous positive impact on my freestyle form. They've taught me to catch earlier (I let the paddles take the lead and I follow them), and not to apply propulsive force until my catch is finished. I only use them with fins though, because they add some load.
    I was wondering! I hope your hubby feels better.

Glad you had fun. I wish I could have gone.
    So glad the noodler was the one who got read the riot act!
    Me too!

This week it's "half weights" - next week just core work!
    So glad the noodler was the one who got read the riot act!

Yep, almost time to drop weights.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    Do you ever wonder how it is that someone could even get the idea that such a suggestion is reasonable? I know you are mad as he$$, but if you think about it, it is so far from reasonable that it is absolutely hilarious! Really, they are essentially asking you to pay them to use the pool. Money usually talks. If the management will listen you should be able to shut this down.
    Yes, write a letter to management. I hate noodlers too. I went yesterday and was greeted with the information (from a noodler) that the pool water was "back to a reasonable temperature" after more noodler complaints. Sigh. Some people have nothing better to do in life than b*tch & moan constantly.
    Do you ever wonder how it is that someone could even get the idea that such a suggestion is reasonable? I know you are mad as he$$, but if you think about it, it is so far from reasonable that it is absolutely hilarious! Really, they are essentially asking you to pay them to use the pool. Money usually talks. If the management will listen you should be able to shut this down.
    I'm behind you 100%. You go in there kickin' @ss first...and I'll be right there behind you (virtually)!!!

I don't get it either. My YMCA is basically the same way. Swim team in a 25 yard pool we're swimming 4-6 or more per lane at times, with the older kids, having to leave :03 apart rather than 5 like normal. We manage, yet I watch the lap lanes during my son's lessons, and they can't hardly operate with SPLITTING the lanes. God forbid a 3rd person shows up. And 4!!!....oh boy!
    Wow, that is ridiculous. Maybe breaking down the numbers for them would help?
    Awesome, thanks for letting me know! Unfortunately, that's mothers day weekend, and I'm not permitted to leave the house!!
    Hiya! I just learned there will be a LCM meet in Pensacola on May 11th. I'll be at Nationals, unfortunately. It's probably a little farther than you'd want to go but I thought I'd let you know. It should be a small but fun meet.
    You write: " My arms aren't sore any more, I just feel super tired after warm up& "creaky" at the beginning of warm up." Yup - that sounds exactly like what I feel. I think I'm fully recovered until I hit the water, then I feel creaky and very tired. I second Fort's advice on all accounts. First, increase weight veeeeeery slowly. I've been told that tendons strengthen much more slowly than muscles, so even when your muscles can handle more weight, it seems like a good idea to not increase weight for some time to let the tendons catch up. Second, dropping weights 3 weeks out has worked really well for me on my last two full tapers. Even if you were to build muscle in the weight room during that time it would not be useful swimming because it apparently takes a while for the brain to recruit the new muscle for swimming. (neuromuscular patterning or some such)
    Thanks Fort, good advice there. I don't do a great deal of weights on the legs cuz of chronic knee injuries. And you're right, going from 50 to 60 pounds is more like a 20% increase, so I'll keep that in mind! Don't want ANY more injuries!!
    If you're tapering or Pan Ams, you should drop weights 3 weeks out, or at least 2. I always do 3 because it takes a long time to rest the legs. Never never increase weight more than 10% at a time to give all your joints time to adjust. 10 pounds could be more than 10%. I violated this rule to my peril and injured my elbow.

I thought about that meet too, but it's just way too long for me to do this summer.
    Thx guys.
    @ Fort, well, I started lifting to improve my strength both in and out of the pool. They are really FUN! But I don't think I go crazy hard stuff, I struggle to do a count of 12, and when that gets easier, I increase my weight that I lift by 5 or 10 pounds. Thought I might stay at my next increase (next week) until after the Pan Am meet (taking off for a week before of course, to taper).
    @ Karl, I thought once I was acclimated to that weight it would have no more impact on my swimming than a hard workout would. My arms aren't sore any more, I just feel super tired after warm up& "creaky" at the beginning of warm up. Since I swim at o dark thirty, I don't eat before I swim, I just roll out of the bed and go. I think I'm gonna take some shock blox to eat after warm up (during "social kick"?) and see if that helps me on the core part of practice.
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast