View RSS Feed

swimsuit addict

Mellow Friday morning workout

Rate this Entry
I went to the morning AGUA lcm workout. It was not very crowded todayI started in a lane with 6, then switched to one with 4. Heres what we did:

800 lcm warmup

3 x (3 x 50 DR + 100 build), odd rounds FR, evens ST

150 easy / lane change

4 x 100 kick (2 FR, 2 BR) @ 2:10-2:30 [this was actually a swim set involving build 75s + 25 easy that I adapted]

2 x (3 x 150 @ 3:00 + 2 x 50 easy) [This was a free set, but I did IMs on the 150s the first time through and ST/FR/ST, IM order the 2nd time through.]

50 fast backstroke

250 warmdown

At sunset last night I went down to the pretty little track in Riverside park and took some baby steps towards restarting a plyo routine. This cinder track is 220 yards around, with very sharp turns at the ends, and gets limited use. Its ideal for doing short sprint pieces of about 40-50 yards or so. I ran a few laps to warmup, then 3 x 40 sprints (going 75, 85, and 90 percent of max speed), then 3 x 40 of unspecialized skipping. I havent done any plyo since spring of 2009, so Im trying to be pretty cautious and patient as I build back up to doing some power leg work. Its always tempting to do more, because skipping and sprinting feels so fun!

Off to the gym now for weights. Its amazing how deciding to swim shorter events at Zones has made me more excited about lifting and building strength and power!

Submit "Mellow Friday morning workout" to Digg Submit "Mellow Friday morning workout" to del.icio.us Submit "Mellow Friday morning workout" to StumbleUpon Submit "Mellow Friday morning workout" to Google

Comments

yay for plyos!

I just signed up for all the sprints at Zones too. I wish I was more excited about strength and power though. I feel like I'm just spluttering this summer.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    yay for plyos!

I just signed up for all the sprints at Zones too. I wish I was more excited about strength and power though. I feel like I'm just spluttering this summer.
    I think it's always easier to be excited about stuff when it's relatively new to you. Be warned--I mght want to pick your brain for some plyo ideas when I see you at zones! I hope by then I will have built up enough strength to not be so worried about injuries, and ready to try some new stuff.

I decided on the 50/100 BK, 50/100 BR, 50 FR, and 200 IM for Zones, so we'll get to swim some of the same events. I've been more excited about the meet ever since I ditched the 400 IM idea--funny how that works.

Hope you get in some good unthundery swimming this weekend!
    Go get 'em girl!!!!!!!!!!!

I love cinder tracks. They take me back to my roots! I still have cinders inside my knee from the "good old days" when I was trying to be a hurdler!!! LOL!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobinator
    Go get 'em girl!!!!!!!!!!!

I love cinder tracks. They take me back to my roots! I still have cinders inside my knee from the "good old days" when I was trying to be a hurdler!!! LOL!
    Hurdling?! Wow-that takes some real courage as well as athleticism. I think I'd have cinders in multiple body parts if I ever tried it.

The Riverside track is really a beautiful place, if somewhat quirky as a track. It's shaded by huge trees on the side that overlooks the water. It's a great place to watch the sun set over the Hudson. (Plus, I always know I've nearly reached the end of my sprints when one of the overhanging branches brushes against my hair.)