View RSS Feed

mwest42

12 Days Until Nationals!

Rate this Entry
by , July 29th, 2010 at 01:24 AM (1674 Views)
I started out by writing the title of this blog entry and all of a sudden I'm thinking of The 12 Days of Christmas. On the third day before Nationals, my swim coach gave to me: three pairs of goggles, two new swim caps, and a high SPF sunscreen.

Sorry. It figures that the very first time I would choose to post on my blog I would get distracted right away.

I leave for Puerto Rico in 10 days to compete in Nationals. I have never competed in a National pool meet before. In fact, this year marked only my 2nd and 3rd times competing in any sort of National event; I did the 1-hour postal swim and the 1-3 mile open water swim. It's easy to say this now, when my first event doesn't start for another 12 days, but I'm not feeling too much pressure. I'm pretty much accepting of the fact that I'm going to get my butt kicked.

No, seriously. In the 200 fly, some of the women in my age group entered times over a MINUTE faster than mine. They swim the 200 Fly faster than I can swim the 200 Free. They will be out of the water drinking Bacardi while I'm still drowning through the final lap. Luckily for me, I'm still new to butterfly as an event and as such I have very little ego attached to swimming it.

So anyway, I do feel pretty good. As far as I'm concerned, if I embarrass myself in the 200 fly, at least I'll be in Puerto Rico. If I swim terribly... still in Puerto Rico. There is a silver lining here, and it is called Puerto Rico. In fact, why even go to the swim meet when there's Puerto Rico to enjoy?

I kid, I kid.

Submit "12 Days Until Nationals!" to Digg Submit "12 Days Until Nationals!" to del.icio.us Submit "12 Days Until Nationals!" to StumbleUpon Submit "12 Days Until Nationals!" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I respect and admire anyone who swims the 200 fly!
    Good luck in PR!