View RSS Feed

aztimm's training blog

Wed-Fri 1006 to 10082010 workouts

Rate this Entry
by , October 9th, 2010 at 06:17 PM (710 Views)
Have no idea how I got so far behind on my blog, and one it started it seems more and more difficult to get caught up in the whole mess.

Anyway, Wednesday was a normal swim-weights day, before/after work....

AM swim with the team, Kino...Paul coaching

600 w/u choice/various

10 x 50, odds @ :45, evens @ 1:00

10 x 100 kick @ 2:00 (used fins)

600 pull, progression through it...first 100 easy, then 75 easy/25 fast...I didn't realize at the beginning that this would require going a 175 fast!

10 x 50 @ 1:30 fast kick
(did breast w/o fins, last 4 hands behind back)

50 fast breast w/flower cap* (:40.1)

100 easy

total: 3450 yards

notes--
* the most noteworthy things I remember about this were for some reason my right foot (the one that got sprained last year) had swelling in the arch. I can't explain how/why, I wish I knew. wearing fins was a bit awkward, but I survived
* the fast 50 w/flower cap was a birthday swim. as it was also Whitney's birthday, I assumed (incorrectly) that only one such cap existed and I'd somehow get out of it. I couldn't have been more wrong. not only is the cap obnoxious, but I don't wear a cap to begin with (unless I absolutely have to), so I was very very warm. Paul and Laura got everyone with kickboards pushing against the lane...Whitney went first, did breast, so I felt like I had to. somehow I beat her by 1 sec
there are multiple pictures of the events floating around on Facebook. if by some off chance someone hasn't seen them, reply to this and I'll provide links.

after a day of work through the paddy wagon, I arrived at the gym. I thought things were over, but evidently not. 24 Hour Fitness had started a new system a few months ago to check-in, you punch in your phone number, scan your finger, a light turns green, and you go in. only this time, Mario (he also lifts) was at the desk and says, "Happy Birthday!" a gal there with him said, "Happy 29th!" (when I started laughing).
anyway, here's what I did.....

Elliptical: 16:20, 1.8 miles, 213 cal, crossramp 8, resistance--8 for a min, 9 for a min, 10 for 2 min, 11 for 3 min, 12 for 4 min, 13 for 2 min, 14 for 2 min, then about a min warmdown at 12-11

Dumbbell chest press: 1 x 15 x 45s, 3 x 10 x 65s
Triceps skull crushers w ez bar: 4 x 12 + 6 narrow chest presses after each round
Hammer strength high row: 1 x 15 x 90, 1 x 12 x 160, 2 x 10 x 210, 1 x 8 x 230
Precor pec fly: 1 x 15 x 100, 1 x 12 x 170, 2 x 10 x 190, 2 x 8 x 210
Precor rear delt: 1 x 15 x 50, 1 x 12 x 70, 2 x 10 x 80
Multi machine standing biceps curls: 1 x 15 x 80, 2 x 12 x 120, 1 x 8 x 130
Leg raise: 3 x 15
Situps on decline bench: 30 normal, 30 Rocky, 30 normal
Plank: 5:00 done as a min forearms on foam roller, 30 sec normal, a min right, a min left, 15 sec normal, 25 sec r leg l arm raised, 10 sec normal, 25 sec l leg r arm raised, 15 sec normal

the most noteworthy thing I remember was when I was about to start on the Pec Fly machine. The Incline Bench is just in front, and a guy seemed to be struggling...I asked if he needed a spot. He said no. Next thing, he's barely keeping the bar above his chest. I don't even remember how I did it, but I was there pulling it off him (it only had 25# on each side). I told him to take off the weight and lift the empty bar. He said, "I don't know why this is happening, I'm used to this." (I'm sure I rolled my eyes). He struggled with the empty bar, then asked me how much that weighs. I told him 45#. Finally he got up and went over to the dumbbells. I figured he could be someone else's project, and I got on with my set.

Walked the dog about a mile after I got home.

Thurs morning I had an 8:30am meeting on the West side of town, so did a run in central Phoenix prior....
Time: 01:17:37
Distance: 9.13 mi
Elevation Gain: 51 ft
Calories: 1,232 C
Avg Pace: 08:30 min/mi
Avg Moving Pace: 08:28 min/mi
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/52076387

I didn't save my song playlist before yesterday, and once a song is replayed it gets repositioned in my iTunes library, thus rendering the list useless.
memorable things about the run--
* it was a little chilly when I started, around 65F. I wore a shirt for the first time in a while (since 'the incident'). just my sleeveless singlet, which made me so warm I regretted it.
* the park restrooms were open (they had been locked lately). of course I didn't really need them this time...

I had taken my swimming bag with me, just in case I decided to swim (solo or with the team) Thurs night, but I bagged that and went home. ended up walking the dog about a mile. and nearly passed out.

Friday swam with the team, 6am Kino, Paul was coaching (SCY)

500 w/u choice
10 x 50 @ :45 "to get the blood flowing"

T-30 ~ 2300 yards

10 min kick ~ 500 yards

fast 50 off blocks, free (30.1)

250 w/d

total: 4100 yards

notes--
* the tri-group was there, as Paul had said we'd be doing a T-60. at some point he scaled that back...
* one of the tri guys somehow ended up in the lane with me. when Paul gave the set of 50s, he asked JoAnne, "what's a 50?" after a couple laps of near combat swimming, Paul moved him to a more appropriate lane.
* evidently there was an algae bloom in the pool earlier in the week. there was tons of chlorine, it was very cloudy. I'll blame that on not reaching 2500.
* I did wear my Fastskin brief. I figure I have it, I might as well. this was just the 3rd time I've worn it. it really feels as if I'm not wearing anything at all. I just hope the extra chlorine won't kill the suit...
* some of the tri guys are faster. for the T-30, I only lapped one twice. I got him to do the fast 50 at the end with me, and he did 28.7, but in a wetsuit.

then I made it to the gym after work last night...
Treadmill: 18:10, 2.08 miles, 235.7 cal, avg 6.9 mph

Incline bench: 1 x 15 x 45, 2 x 10 x 135, 2 x 7 x 155, 1 x 4 x 175
Freemotion dual cable cross chest fly: 1 x 15 x 60, 1 x 12 x 70, 2 x 10 x 80, 2 x 8 x 85
Multi machine seated row: 1 x 15 x 90, 2 x 12 x 135, 1 x 10 x 150
Multi machine front lat pulldowns: 1 x 15 x 90, 2 x 12 x 135, 1 x 10 x 150
Multi machine triceps rope pulldowns: 1 x 15 x 50, 2 x 10 x 70, 1 x 8 x 80
Biceps dumbbell hammer curls: 1 x 15 x 35s, 2 x 10 x 40s
Dumbbell wrist curls: 2 x 12 x 15, 1 x 10 x 20
Leg raise: 3 x 15
Situps on decline bench: 30 normal, 30 Rocky, 30 normal
Plank: 5:00 done as a min forearms on foam roller, 30 sec normal, a min right, a min left, 15 sec normal, 25 sec r arm l leg raised, 10 sec normal, 25 sec l arm r leg raised, 15 sec normal

noteworthy--
* since I didn't run on Sunday, I decided to get a couple extra miles. that brings my weekly total up to 23, which isn't too shabby.
* I hit my max on the incline bench, but only 4 reps, and barely that. I think the elliptical takes much more out of my arms (since I'm using them) than a jog for a warm-up, and that probably gave me an edge.
* I had almost forgotten about the wrist curls from last Friday, so threw them in at the end. still hurts on the right, left is mostly ok.

well so much for a recovery day today. I had a work thing this morning (a video shoot), then got home just in time to help clean the garage, and do some of the usual house chores.

hopefully I'll get up for a long run tomorrow morning, the weather should be nice for it.

the water began to flow into Tempe Town Lake yesterday morning, and they say it will be full by Oct 26, plenty of time for the AZ Ironman.
Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Whittimday 010.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	6524   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Whittimday 015.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	164.5 KB 
ID:	6525   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Whittimday 016.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	140.1 KB 
ID:	6526   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Whittimday 017.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	114.0 KB 
ID:	6527  

Submit "Wed-Fri 1006 to 10082010 workouts" to Digg Submit "Wed-Fri 1006 to 10082010 workouts" to del.icio.us Submit "Wed-Fri 1006 to 10082010 workouts" to StumbleUpon Submit "Wed-Fri 1006 to 10082010 workouts" to Google

Updated October 9th, 2010 at 11:09 PM by aztimm

Categories
Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Running

Comments

Happy belated birthday! The flower cap tradition sounds fun. By all means post links, or better yet the pics themselves!
    That foot thing is weird.

Happy 29th

Obviously an idiot on the incline.

If your fastskin is unlined, it pretty much is swimming naked.

If you swam a 28 at the end of that workout, you would have swam the workout wrong.

You probably needed a spot on the incline bench.
    Quote Originally Posted by swimsuit addict
    Happy belated birthday! The flower cap tradition sounds fun. By all means post links, or better yet the pics themselves!
    Ok, I just uploaded the pictures. Of course I just happened to wear a red drag suit that day, so I'm pretty easy to spot in almost all of them, even when I'm underwater.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    That foot thing is weird.

Happy 29th

Obviously an idiot on the incline.

If your fastskin is unlined, it pretty much is swimming naked.

If you swam a 28 at the end of that workout, you would have swam the workout wrong.

You probably needed a spot on the incline bench.
    Think I figured out the foot thing. One morning when I got up, I tripped over the dog. Not just a little, almost a falling onto the floor trip, my slipper went flying. She barely budged. If I do this with one of the cats, usually they'll go scrambling out of the way, or I'll hear that annoying noise.

The fastskin brief is unlined, probably the only unlined swimsuit I have. Usually I'll wear a drag suit, but I didn't for the T-30.

Yes, I do need a spot, want to help? I looked around and couldn't find anyone I knew, and no one I saw looked like they knew what they were doing. I'd almost rather just a couple reps on my own than risk someone spotting who screws up the set.