View RSS Feed

aztimm's training blog

Sunday 10102010: long run

Rate this Entry
by , October 10th, 2010 at 04:17 PM (654 Views)
got out for my long run this morning. life certainly changes for you with a dog. as soon as I get up, she immediately goes into, "play," mode, running all over the place. at least I didn't trip over her this morning.

the run info--

Time: 02:15:03
Distance: 15.02 mi
Elevation Gain: 17 ft
Calories: 2,004 C
Avg Pace: 08:59 min/mi
Avg Moving Pace: 08:56 min/mi
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/52416117

notes--
* was still dark when I started, and a little chilly/crisp out. I'd guess around 65. saw a spectacular sunrise over the Superstition Mountains around 2-3 miles into the run.
* hardly saw a soul for the first 2-3 miles while it was dark. I kind of like that feeling, like the trail is all mine...
* this was a totally solo run (no dog yet, she has to gain a little more weight), along the canal near home, a Northerly route this time. I had a goal set to get to Guadalupe (around 12-13 miles), but a soft goal to go to Baseline (around 15 miles).
* after I crossed Ray Rd, the floodgates of other runners opened. this seems to always happen at the narrowest portions of the trail, I ran into a group of 15-20, they were spread 4 across, right where it narrowed.
* I used my 'long run' playlist, but was rather uninspired by the music. there were a couple of good songs, but nothing really got me pumped or excited...and my pace certainly showed it. I'll attach the playlist, again the beginning is at the bottom, what I finished with at the top.
* since I wasn't going too fast, I decided to go to Baseline...it is easier to run farther when I'm not beating myself up on speed. but then about a mile after I turned around my right foot felt like it was swelling again. nothing terribly painful, just tightness around my arch. but I'm sure this had something to do with my speed.
* I made a rare pit stop at a gas station, at Gilbert/Warner. the counter guy seemed totally unphased by me asking where the restroom was, and I'm sure I wasn't the first--or last--to do that today. I can usually hold out for the park, but that was 2 miles further.
* saw a couple of 'regular' runners out. I think with the cooler weather people are starting to sleep in. I may a little...but for going out to eat breakfast, it is much easier to run early.

on the dog front, she is nearly terrified of my 13 year old orange cat, who weighs no more than 9 pounds. he wants things to go back to normal, and climbs up on my lap while I watch tv, while the dog gets extremely jealous. to taunt her, the cat will even eat her food, drink her water, play with her toys, and I caught him sleeping in her kennel.
Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	playlist_10102010.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	136.4 KB 
ID:	6528  

Submit "Sunday 10102010:  long run" to Digg Submit "Sunday 10102010:  long run" to del.icio.us Submit "Sunday 10102010:  long run" to StumbleUpon Submit "Sunday 10102010:  long run" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Hey, if you're successful with this dog and want to add another to the mix in a few months, let me know. We just started fostering a 6 month old female yellow lab from the Humane Society and will have her for 2-3 months. She's supersweet!
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Hey, if you're successful with this dog and want to add another to the mix in a few months, let me know. We just started fostering a 6 month old female yellow lab from the Humane Society and will have her for 2-3 months. She's supersweet!
    Thanks Patrick, but I think we're fine now with 2 cats and one dog. While the one cat (his name is Buddy, he's 13 and orange) is being quite bold and daring around Holly (the dog), the other cat (his name is Max, he's 5 and gray) has barely been since since Holly first entered the house.

If you ever need help with sending off/getting times for starts, let me know. I could plan a run from up your way (there's some great running along the greenbelt, and maybe your wife would run with me), then I can help you after.