View RSS Feed

aztimm's training blog

Friday 01072011 workouts

Rate this Entry
by , January 8th, 2011 at 01:14 AM (361 Views)
I was planning to meet my friend Urmas at Scottsdale's Eldorado Pool. I arrived there, and saw a bunch of people from the Tempe Sun Devil Masters group. Evidently their workouts were moved from the ASU Rec Center to that pool for the winter break. So we ended up working out with them.
25 yard pool
Coach Jonny on deck

got in 200 w/u
6 x 50 @ 1:10 build
200 smooth

main set-- 3 rounds of 5 x 50 @ 2:00 (all fast)
--1, dolphin kick on back with raised arms
--2, free
--3, 25 underwater/25 choice
--4, non-free (I did breast)
--5, free
> held mostly 31 to 33 for the free
> did 37, 36, 36 for breast

200 easy
200 social kick
100 w/d

total: 2450

notes--
* it was a pleasant surprise to see Jonny and a bunch of other people I hadn't seen for a long time (many since last January)
* the group had 5 lanes (the pool looks to have at least 12), 3-4 per lane. so that means there were around 18 people there
* the pool is pretty nice. I guess they re-did it in the past year. has nice gutters, but I didn't see starting blocks. there are clocks, but they're both analog. and the clocks were tough to see through the steam from the water
* one interesting tidbit. I swam in a lane with people who I knew...but they had been 1-2 lanes faster than me last year. and I was able to hold my own. I started out last, but then some others wanted me to move during the set. on free, I was beating a guy in the next lane who used to handily beat me. and we raced breast...even with his 2-sec lead I still finished first. so either I got faster or everyone else got slower. funny, I had been feeling pretty down about my swimming lately, but this really made me feel that I really have improved over the past year.
* after the set, Jonny left. but a bunch of people came over to ask me how it was swimming in Mesa. I was pretty honest, described the setup, how the sets work, how much yardage, swimming with the kids, etc.
* I'd like to do team workouts about once a week. Jonny said I could swim with them, but I think I'd benefit more from swimming with Paul & Laura, or with Matt Rankin at the Phoenix Swim Club.

after swimming, a group of us went to Echo Coffee, not far from Eldorado. still coffee, but quite a bit different from Starbucks. I thought it was pretty good though.

after work, I stopped by the 24 Hour Fitness gym in Chandler and got in a nice set--

Treadmill: 13:00, 1.37 mile, 154 cal, avg 6.3 mph

Incline bench: 1 x 10 x 45, 2 x 9 x 135, 2 x 6 x 155
Dumbbell chest fly, using Swiss ball as bench: 1 x 9 x 45s, 1 x 9 x 50s, 1 x 9 x 55s, (tried more, failed at 60 and again at 55)
Triceps skull crushers on Swiss ball: 4 x 9 x 55 + 5
Hammer strength shoulder press: 1 x 10 x 90, 1 x 9 x 110, 2 x 8 x 140
Hammer strength biceps curl: 1 x 10 x 80, 2 x 8 x 105
Multi machine front lat pulldowns: 1 x 10 x 90, 1 x 9 x 135, 2 x 8 x 150
Triceps rope pulldowns: 1 x 10 x 50, 1 x 9 x 70, 2 x 6 x 80
Standing machine biceps curls: 1 x 10 x 80, 1 x 10 x 120, 1 x 9 x 130, 2 x 8 x 140
Leg raise: 3 x 15
Flutter kicks on bosu ball: 3 x 25 (each 1 is a set of right + left leg up/down)
Plank forearms on foam roller: 1:30
Various rolling on foam roller

notes--
* the gym was very warm, within 2 min on the treadmill I was sweating. that just made it very uncomfortable... I just didn't feel like doing much more running.
* since I focused on chest Wed, and back Mon, I did just a little of those, with more of an emphasis on arms.
* decided to try the Swiss ball a bit more tonight. I've done some dumbbell chest presses, but I don't think I had done flys before. then since I already had the ball, I tried doing skull crushers with it, and it was tough...I usually use a 65 or 70 barbell, but 55 was good for this change.
* I'm trying to mix up my abs stuff too. the flutter kicks on the Bosu ball are tough...and I really don't know if 5 min of plank is beneficial, so I'm doing other stuff, cutting that down

tomorrow is my off-day from formal workouts. still walk the dog, usual cleaning, some yard stuff. then Sunday is another long run.

Submit "Friday 01072011 workouts" to Digg Submit "Friday 01072011 workouts" to del.icio.us Submit "Friday 01072011 workouts" to StumbleUpon Submit "Friday 01072011 workouts" to Google

Comments