View RSS Feed

mwest42

A question posed to my fellow distance swimmers

Rate this Entry
by , February 1st, 2011 at 03:22 AM (1896 Views)
I guess I could post this in the forums, but I'd like to start posting to this blog frequently, so I just thought I'd just jump-start that.

I want to do the 6000 postal this year, but the actual swimming doesn't seem to be the hard part. How do you get someone to time for you for that long? What's a good bribe to get someone to sit around on deck for -- I don't even know how long in my case. Under two hours, I hope. Also, should I even try to get a second person to count for me? I think I can do without, and I don't mind popping my head up every once in awhile to ask the timer how much I have left. Even though I know everyone of those conversations will go something like this.
"What lap am I on?"
"Mumble."
"What?"
"Mumble mumble."
"WHAT?"
"MUMBLE MUMBLE!"
"Never mind, I'll ask later!"

Submit "A question posed to my fellow distance swimmers" to Digg Submit "A question posed to my fellow distance swimmers" to del.icio.us Submit "A question posed to my fellow distance swimmers" to StumbleUpon Submit "A question posed to my fellow distance swimmers" to Google

Updated February 1st, 2011 at 01:36 PM by mwest42

Categories
Masters Swim Meets / Events

Comments

You need to find another swimmer who wants to do the event and swap with each other. (ie. you swim today, I count. I swim tomorrow and you count).
    I believe your timer also is required to record your splits on paper. They can also be your counter.
    I've also had friends who have paid their teen-age children to do this for them. THis usually only works one year because the teen is soo bored they never want to do it again!! Good luck!
    It had occurred to me to "trade" timing with another person... that just means I have to convince another person to do the swim.

Although, I just realized that I was confusing the time frame of when the 3000/6000 had to be done with the 5K/10K time frame, so I guess I have a little more time to talk someone into it.