View RSS Feed

aztimm's training blog

Tuesday 02082011 workouts

Rate this Entry
by , February 9th, 2011 at 12:20 AM (380 Views)
went for another solo swim this morning at the Tempe 24 Hour Fitness (SCM). I was inspired by a workout I did with the team last May, but that was LCM, so I adjusted the intervals.

600 w/u

2 rounds of--
100 smooth, focus on perfect stroke
2 x 75 @ :10 rest, drill/scull/build

100 easy

1 x 400 (came in around 6min), right into
2 x 50 kick (board only) @ :10 rest, FAST/easy

2 x 200 @ 3:05 (came in at 2:52, 2:56), right into

4 x 100 @ 1:30 (came in between 1:22 and 1:28), right into

8 x 50 @ :45, just make..right into

100 easy
400 pull, 75 free/25 back/75 free/25 breast

200 w/d

TTL: 3900m

notes--
* got a good lane and the pool water felt a little chilly at first (a good sign). I usually step in the dry sauna for a minute before jumping in, to warm up/stretch (and tie my suits)
* when I did the set before, we just did the 200/100/50 portion, but with the right into fast kick portion (Paul likes that).
* I'm learning what intervals work for me for SCM; funny even though ASU could have setup Mona Plummer SCM, in all the years I swam there I probably trained it maybe a dozen times. I figure if I can hold a 1:30 interval, then I'm not doing too bad (wasn't too long ago when 1:30 for SCY was my standard).
* I felt pretty good after this, but by 4pm, I was pretty drained. think I may have overdone things a little...and I was regretting that I swam so much when running after work

then I did make it for a run after work...
Time: 00:57:29
Distance: 6.64 mi
Elevation Gain: 229 ft
Calories: 890 C
Avg Pace: 08:39 min/mi
Avg Moving Pace: 08:34 min/mi
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/67363006

notes--
* just really took me a while to get into this run, was about mile 4 when I started to feel like continuing. prior to that, I was thinking of reasons to bail, but I had met my running partner...odd thing is, he told me the same thing after. my legs were still a bit sore from my 20 miler on Sunday.
* think it is something about running after work -v- before. I never really have breathing problems on Sundays when I run from home. could be the part of town too, I think pollution is worse in-town than near home.
* weather was ok...temp in the low 60s, but very windy (which could have impacted breathing).
* glad I stuck with it, miles 4-5-6 were decent, with a very sprinty finish for that last .6 mile.

there are 2 swim meets I'm considering--
* Sun Devil Masters SCY meet, March 6
http://www.azlmsc.org/eventFlyers/20...tersInvite.pdf
* Mesa/Kino masters SCY meet (AZ LMSC state meet), April 1-2-3
[ame="http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=18200"]Southwest Zone-Arizona State Championship Meet - U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums[/ame]

I would just do 1 option, if that, and I'm not too happy with the event lineup at either. I'm leaning more toward #2, doing the 1000 Friday night, then the 200/50 breast and 100 free on Sunday (maybe 1 other on Sunday). My problem is that my running will be peaking around then for my race on May 1, and I'd have to run that Saturday. But peaking for a half isn't as drastic as for a full, maybe 12-14 miles is all...long slow running.
The March option just doesn't look too appealing, and I may be out of town that weekend. The schedule has most free and breast back-to-back, and the 200 breast near the end (the Kino option has it early on Sunday, but I wouldn't do the 500 free then 200 breast).

I need to take a look at my blog for some ideas for tomorrow's swim. I'm thinking of a mix of a little tough, maybe some drills, and a little recovery. may not make it to the gym...my tri friend I do my Friday swims with said he may have Suns tickets, been ages since I've gone to a Suns game.

Submit "Tuesday 02082011 workouts" to Digg Submit "Tuesday 02082011 workouts" to del.icio.us Submit "Tuesday 02082011 workouts" to StumbleUpon Submit "Tuesday 02082011 workouts" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments