View RSS Feed

Too Neurotic to be Suitably Aquatic

Meat & Potatoes workout

Rate this Entry
Swam at Bard with The Tall Guy this morning. Another teammate, one who swims in lane 4 with me, joined us as well. TTG called this workout "meat & potatoes" because it follows a basic pattern, not trying to switch up intervals, strokes, and distance. That way you can really get some good swimming in. I adapted it from Tall Pall's thread: [ame="http://forums.usms.org/showpost.php?p=154280&postcount=15"]U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums - View Single Post - Tall Pauls Favorite Workouts and/or Sets[/ame]

Warm up set 2x the following
150 @ 2:30 (no breathing out of turns)
100IM @ 1:45
6 x 25's kick @ :35
50 scull
50 backstroke

Main set
6 x 100's @ 1:45
200IM or stroke recovery @ 4:30
5 x 100's @ 1:40
4 x 100's @ 1:35
3 x 100's @ 1:30
2 x 100's @ 1:25

300 kick w/board

6 x 25's kick no board

6 x 25's fast w/fins

200 warm down

4800 total

It was good to swim with my lanemate again. I haven't [ame="http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=18668"]swimeth[/ame] with the team since I started lifeguarding in March, and I miss it lots. There's no team practice this coming week because of spring break, and then I probably have another week of lifeguarding before I can hop back in again in May.

In other news, I finished reading Born to Run, which was very inspiring. I was going to try out some of the techniques of smooth running this afternoon, but I've had sudden and annoying asthma symptoms since yesterday, which only went away during today's swim. Maybe after work this week if there's a good weather day, I'll give some short runs a try if I can get my lungs to cooperate as well.

Submit "Meat & Potatoes workout" to Digg Submit "Meat & Potatoes workout" to del.icio.us Submit "Meat & Potatoes workout" to StumbleUpon Submit "Meat & Potatoes workout" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I've had "sudden" asthma this weekend too - and it's really cramping my style. Hope you're breathing easier. I had a crappy workout today because of it too - chest burning & after about 3300 I just got slower and slower, until I just got out, about 600 meters early. What kind of music did you listen to during practice when the sound system was working? I fondly remember 5am workouts with some really loud music when I was in high school.
    I like that meat-and-potatoes main set--I might steal it and adapt it to LC if I find myself swimming alone this week.

I really liked BTR--it was my meet reading for one of my big multi-day meets in recent memory--and it was inspiring indeed. Plus a 400 IM seemed way less daunting after reading about those brave ultramarathon runners!

I've been having some asthma problems as well, for the last week or so--I think allergies at this time of year trigger it for me. Hope yours goes away soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial
    I've had "sudden" asthma this weekend too - and it's really cramping my style. Hope you're breathing easier. I had a crappy workout today because of it too - chest burning & after about 3300 I just got slower and slower, until I just got out, about 600 meters early. What kind of music did you listen to during practice when the sound system was working? I fondly remember 5am workouts with some really loud music when I was in high school.
    I called in for an inhaler prescription to my Dr. today, and am looking forward to picking it up after work. Sometimes I just need one hit off of it to breathe clearly again, and I highly recommend.

If you look at some of my blog posts from last year, I used to publish my playlists. The group favorites were anything with a fast beat, but sometimes I'd mix in Broadway showtunes because that's what Coach liked, or just amuse myself with themes like "songs about geography."
    Quote Originally Posted by swimsuit addict
    I like that meat-and-potatoes main set--I might steal it and adapt it to LC if I find myself swimming alone this week.

I really liked BTR--it was my meet reading for one of my big multi-day meets in recent memory--and it was inspiring indeed. Plus a 400 IM seemed way less daunting after reading about those brave ultramarathon runners!

I've been having some asthma problems as well, for the last week or so--I think allergies at this time of year trigger it for me. Hope yours goes away soon!
    Let me know how the workout goes if you do it! And I'd like to see an untramarathoner try the 400IM...
    I think I've done this set. It seems oddly familiar and definitely Paul's style. Maybe I'll try it again tomorrow or Wed.

Are you taking any allergy medicine? Over the counter Claritin may work too. I have asthma, and try to remember to take my inhaler before working out. Spring and fall are the worst times of year for me, but this year hasn't been too bad. Swimming outside definitely helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    I think I've done this set. It seems oddly familiar and definitely Paul's style. Maybe I'll try it again tomorrow or Wed.

Are you taking any allergy medicine? Over the counter Claritin may work too. I have asthma, and try to remember to take my inhaler before working out. Spring and fall are the worst times of year for me, but this year hasn't been too bad. Swimming outside definitely helps.
    I don't know why I never want to do the same workout twice, but I don't feel that way as much with Paul's because I want to do them better next time, like hot yoga or weightlifting.

I got an inhaler today! It was a funny story, so I will write an update on that in my next blog, I hope.