View RSS Feed

aztimm's training blog

Sunday 04172011 long run

Rate this Entry
by , April 18th, 2011 at 12:14 AM (445 Views)
went out for my long run this morning. as I was getting ready, I thought I'd see if my friend texted, and of course he did, he wouldn't be meeting me

so it was just Holly and I for the first half of the run, then just me solo.

Time: 01:57:19
Distance: 13.50 mi
Elevation Gain: 13 ft
Calories: 1,806 C
Avg Pace: 08:41 min/mi
Avg Moving Pace: 08:37 min/mi
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/79757296

* since I didn't have to rush, I remembered to sync my HR monitor with the Garmin before I began. the battery on the HR monitor went a while ago, I finally remembered to get one, put it in, then this...and it looks successful. thought there was still a 15 min interval where it looks like it got a bit squirrely.
* temp is starting to get on the warm side. it was fine to start. but when I walked outside shirtless and felt fine, I knew I'd be warm by the time I finished. mid-60s when I started around 7am, upper 70s when I finished.
* Holly was fine for the first 2 miles, then she seemed to struggle. I stopped for a little, pet her, then we got going. for some reason as soon as we cross the bridge to turn around, she perks up, and that happened again today. in hindsight, it was probably for the best that she slowed, since I probably would have gone too fast.
* after dropping her off at home, i went back out and ran down to Paseo Vista Park. nothing really noteworthy, other than on the way back I started to feel the heat/sun.
* all-in-all not a horrible long-slow-distance run. I'll have to start earlier though if the weather sticks.
* splits: 8:35, 8:59, 9:11 (when Holly really struggled), 8:53, 8:39, 8:37, 8:35, 8:37, 8:44, 8:40, 8:35, 7:51

after that, we went out to breakfast, then over to Road Runner Sports in Tempe. I got a new pair of shoes (trying something a little different again), a couple of running singlets, and a pair of shorts. the nice thing about that shop -v- Dicks is that it is all running.

finally after getting home, I decided I'd brush the pool, then go in. what a workout! I can't remember the last time I had brushed the whole thing, and it sure needed it. really worked my back and triceps, maybe a little legs when I bent down. I wore just shorts and flip flops, I'm always paranoid I'm going to fall in when I do this, but I didn't...despite dodging landscaping and sitting on the waterfall for part of it.
after that, I waited a few hours for the water to settle before getting in. I just did a bunch of breaststroke, but when I do a full streamlined pullout I'm at the other side.
water felt good, mid-70s by then. kind of played around a little, grabbed the brush and did a little more, pushing all the debris toward the drains.
I have no idea how much I swam, and won't be adding that to my FLOG. I rarely include splashing in the backyard pool, unless I'm really doing something substantial.

planning on a nice long swim tomorrow morning. then depending how I'm feeling either a recovery or pace treadmill run and weights after work.

Submit "Sunday 04172011 long run" to Digg Submit "Sunday 04172011 long run" to del.icio.us Submit "Sunday 04172011 long run" to StumbleUpon Submit "Sunday 04172011 long run" to Google

Categories
Running

Comments

I'm thinking that Holly is not a person? Is she a dog? Or do you always pet your running partners?

Perhaps I'll take a moment to become more familiar with your blog and find out... What kind of shoes did you get? I'm toying with the idea of finding something barefoot-esque because these orthopedic-adjusted sneakers my podiatrist made me get make my feet go numb.
    Quote Originally Posted by swimmerb212
    I'm thinking that Holly is not a person? Is she a dog? Or do you always pet your running partners?

Perhaps I'll take a moment to become more familiar with your blog and find out... What kind of shoes did you get? I'm toying with the idea of finding something barefoot-esque because these orthopedic-adjusted sneakers my podiatrist made me get make my feet go numb.
    Sorry about that. I had been putting Holly the dog in my notes, but for some reason didn't yesterday. She's the one who appears next to all of my posts.

The new shoes are Nike Lunar Eclipse. I switched to Lunar Glide last year (from the Pegasus), and the Eclipse seems very close. The major difference is that there's a bit more cushioning around the heel, and a little less wiggling around inside. I should have brought them to the gym tonight...maybe I'll remember on Wednesday. I usually like to ease into new shoes, especially a new style.

I still have a pair of Pegasus that I use mostly just for treadmill running, 4 pairs of Lunar Glide, and now these Lunar Eclipse. a nice benefit of dailymile is it tracks the mileage on equipment, like shoes. heck, I even added my Fastskin brief in as equipment for when I wear that too.