View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Finally! June 21

Rate this Entry
Have had very little internet access. Very little swimming either for that matter. Here's the "workouts" or what I remember of them. My iphone (with note function) just died as I am typing ... will have to edit later. Forgive typos -- typing fast on ipad.

Sunday:

Ellipse, 30 minutes

floor bench press, 50 x 4 x 10 (up 10 lbs)
rear delt fly, 70 x 1 x 10, 85 x 3 x 8
back extension machine, 175 x 3 x 15

Ellipse, 30 minutes

captains chair straight leg raise, 3 x 15
goblet squat, 65 x 3 x 10
tricep extension, 65 x 3 x 8
something else

Ellipse, 15 minutes

Monday:

4-5 miles of walking in Malta

Tuesday:

4-5 miles of walking in Palermo

30 minutes weights (can't remember)

20 minutes Ellipse

Wednesday:

Maybe 2 miles of walking in Rome. Had tours there to jump lines at the Colliseum and Vatican.

Swim at Night, 2000 meters

In a 12.5 meter pool. I could barely do anything other than streamline in a pool so small. I chopped it up into groups of 20 laps. Almost felt tapered, though perhaps anyone would in this pool.

Thursday:

Hiked/walked maybe 4 miles, 2 miles at Mt. Vesuvius.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

Having a fabulous time! Of course, this is not so surprising since I love to travel so much.

Started out in the island of Malta, which is almost a giant sandcastle with all the limestone buildings. Malta is the site of the movies The Count of Monte Cristo, Troy, and Gladiator and you can definitely tell! We began with a tour of a fishing village and a boat ride in the Blue Grotto -- spectacular (and the site of the scene in the TCOMC when he discovers the treasure). After sending the kids back, we walked about in the capitol of Malta, Valletta. I can't resist a medieval fortressed city, though the styles of architicture are myriad with all the foreign invasions. We had a lovely late lunch in a typical European cafe in a picturesque setting sampling the local Maltese wine.

The next day we journeyed to Palermo, Sicily. Mr. Fort and I walked at warp speed touring all the city's sights and the 25,000 churches in Norman, Renaissance, Baroque and Neoclassical styles. Palermo is essentially akin to an Italian Manhattan except with narrower sidewalks and older buildings. Stoplights are few and purely for decoration. Mr. Fort and his running buddy almost got killed trying to run in this city.

We were in Rome yesterday. Love Rome, and have been there twice before. However, I think I will forevermore avoid it in the summer. I was really really looking forward to the Vatican Museum and Sistene Chapel (which I hadn't seen since it was renovated). But it was the most crowded and claustrophobic scene imaginable. Both wonderful and miserable. And I missed the Laocoon sculpture. (Nerdy art history freak here.) At the end of the day, I asked Lil Fort what she liked better -- the most famous church in the world (St. Peters) or the gelato. Her answer was predictable.

Today, we were in Naples, but skipped the ancient city in favor of hiking up Mt. Vesuvius and touring Pompeii -- both were amazing! In between, we stopped at a vineyard about 1/3 way up Vesuvius for a wine tasting and a stupendous lunch. Very lovely, and we ordered a case of wine. We finished the day at a local Napoli pizzeria. This was my fav day so far. Even the two 10 year olds enjoyed the day!

I may head to the gym for a short bit before it closes now. I haven't been able to peruse the blogs. Hope everyone's training is going fabulously! I am not looking forward to sucking my first 2 weeks back.

Ohhh, I'm getting a seaweed exfoliation and massage tomorrow!

Cheers everyone!

Submit "Finally!  June 21" to Digg Submit "Finally!  June 21" to del.icio.us Submit "Finally!  June 21" to StumbleUpon Submit "Finally!  June 21" to Google

Updated June 23rd, 2011 at 02:54 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Ellipse Machine

Comments

Wahoo! I guess you made your connection no problem.

Sounds like fun, enjoy the rest of your trip.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Wahoo! I guess you made your connection no problem.

Sounds like fun, enjoy the rest of your trip.
    We did -- though it was very stressful! We got on the ship 15 minutes before embarking.l

I will enjoy! How could I not?
    G-E-L-A-T-O!
    M-A-S-S-A-G-E!

Sounds awesome, Leslie. Where's my green-eyed jealousy monster emoticon?
    Fantastic! Great to hear from you after de-Borging yourself for 5 days. Have a great trip, and safe running to Mr. Fort.
    Glad you're having a great trip! Malta sounds amazing, and I've heard Naples is great, glad you're enjoying them.

When I was in Rome a few weeks ago, it seemed absurdly crowded, I can't even imagine how it is now, or even in a few more weeks during the peak of the summer season.
    We got Roma passes for the Coliseum, which also avoided the line. I just don't understand why someone would wait in a line that long (and if you read a guidebook, they'll tell you to buy a ticket from the Palentine if you don't have one, that avoids one line).
    I thought St Peter's was just ok...again the crowds, and the church itself was big, but I really liked another church far better (St John Lateran).
    If you're into sculptures, this one was amazing (and the church was fantastic too):
    [ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecstasy_of_Saint_Teresa[/ame]

Hope you continue to have a great trip!
    Oh! I am so jealous, but so happy for you! What a wonderful way to spend time with the family! We haven't been to Europe is nearly 20 years, and reading your blog makes me want to change my Cancun vaca this summer for Spain!
    What a great vacation! Enjoy!
    Leslie, dearest mither, I miss you. I do not like having you on another continent. You are missing so much good American news. Did you know they caught Whitey Bolger? The nation has been emitting a HUGE sigh of collective relief. But the relief is not complete. We still feel somehow unsettled. Our Leslie is abroad, and none of us will sleep right till she is back on our shores.
    Thank you all!

Jimby -- I care not about US or world news at the moment.

Tim -- I do wish I had been able to see ancient Naples and the royal palace. Next time! Beautiful sculpture. I admire St. Peter's. But I must admit I'm really looking forward to the gothic cathedrals in Barcelona, especially Gaudi's Familia.

Celestial -- I wish I was seeing more of Spain. I think southern pain would make a lovely vacation.
    Oh, and Speedo, I will be in pathetic shape, but am looking forward to some speed sessions in July. Any further thoughts on Auburn?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I wish I was seeing more of Spain. I think southern pain would make a lovely vacation.
    I am pretty sure the southern pain is Geek, but I don't see how he would make a good vacation. I hope you return with your sanity intact.
    I haven't been on here for a few days!
    Leslie your trip sounds wonderful! I would love to hike around in the Mts. and stop only to eat wonderful fool and drink great wine! Have a great massage and seaweed treatment! I'll look forward to hearing more!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Oh, and Speedo, I will be in pathetic shape, but am looking forward to some speed sessions in July. Any further thoughts on Auburn?
    I am opting out of Auburn, unfortunately, but I am up for some sprinting as I could possibly do a decent 1500 right now
    If you're a fan of Gaudi, in addition to La Sagrada Familia (which is exceptional!), try to see La Pedrera, an apt bldg he designed. The roof is interesting, and gives amazing views of the city. There's a Starbucks (free wifi) just across the street.
    No trip to Barcelona would be complete without a stroll down Las Ramblas. It ends near the port and the Christopher Columbus statue, which is probably near where your ship will dock.
    If you haven't booked a ship excursion, I'd just wander on your own, use the metro and walk. Barcelona is a great city to just stroll through.

Oh, and if you have the time, you can always hit the 1992 Olympic pool . Montjuic is fascinating in itself.
    I got a fare notice email today from Travelocity claiming American Airlines had tickets to Copenhagen for $366. I was all stoked until I found out they're all sold out. If I could get to Europe for that price I'd definitely consider a spontaneous vacation!

Glad you're having a good time, Fortress. I'm jealous.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    If you're a fan of Gaudi, in addition to La Sagrada Familia (which is exceptional!), try to see La Pedrera, an apt bldg he designed. The roof is interesting, and gives amazing views of the city. There's a Starbucks (free wifi) just across the street.
    No trip to Barcelona would be complete without a stroll down Las Ramblas. It ends near the port and the Christopher Columbus statue, which is probably near where your ship will dock.
    If you haven't booked a ship excursion, I'd just wander on your own, use the metro and walk. Barcelona is a great city to just stroll through.

Oh, and if you have the time, you can always hit the 1992 Olympic pool . Montjuic is fascinating in itself.

Hey Tim! We got to all those sites -- much fun! Mr. Fort went on a long run around Montjuic, which wasn't too far from our hotel.
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    I got a fare notice email today from Travelocity claiming American Airlines had tickets to Copenhagen for $366. I was all stoked until I found out they're all sold out. If I could get to Europe for that price I'd definitely consider a spontaneous vacation!

Glad you're having a good time, Fortress. I'm jealous.
    $366 is a true steal. No wonder it was sold out!
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    I am pretty sure the southern pain is Geek
    LOL!