View RSS Feed

swimsuit addict

Grimaldo's Mile Ocean Race

Rate this Entry
This morning I went out to Coney Island for the Grimaldo’s Mile ocean swim. It was a clear beautiful morning, and the near-full moon was setting as I walked across the boardwalk to check in. There were lots of friends doing the race and volunteering at the event, and it was a sociable morning as we all mingled on the boardwalk, applied sunscreen, and got ready to swim.

Around 7:45 we were told to drop our bags off and head down to the beach. The race was a straightaway course parallel to shore, starting just east of the pier and ending past Grimaldo’s chair at the Shorefront Y. This was familiar territory, since it’s where I do most of my open-water training—Grimaldo’s chair is the usual meet-up point for CIBBOWS swimmers. (Sadly, the Grimaldo for whom the chair and race is named—a former beach lifeguard--is no longer with us. He passed away two years ago at the all-too-young age of 34. Unlike many memorial swims, this race was established and named for Grimaldo when he was still alive and healthy, to honor his friendship and assistance to swimmers training out at Brighton.)

Soon after 8 we lined up by the water for the start. The countdown came, and I stroked out to the turn buoy without getting into too much traffic. In the 300 yards after the buoy I passed about a half-dozen swimmers (probably those who had sprinted all-out at the start—that seems to be a popular strategy). After that I just swam along the course, enjoying the pretty day and the clear water, and only seeing a couple of other swimmers the whole rest of the way in.

The course was well marked, and the finish easy to navigate. I finished in 26:47, which placed me 8th overall, and 2nd woman. For my efforts I won a pass for 5 free tickets (or 10 kiddie tickets) to one of the Coney Island amusement parks—I gave them away to a fellow swimmer who has young child, after failing to find four other adults in the crowd who wanted to go ride the rides. After some yummy food and awards I went back out to the beach, and swam to the pier and back with some friends.

Afterwards I convinced a bunch of CIBBOWS regulars to get back in the water for a little beach synchro. Today’s revelation was that one of my swim pals did water shows when he was growing up in New York! He taught us a few new moves, including the “oyster,” which involves floating on your back, piking so that your hands and feet meet, then sinking butt first under the waves. We made up a little routine and practiced it a few times. Much fun and giggles!

After another dip (the beach was hot today, and the water cool) it was time to go. I said goodbye to the beach, got a quick bite to eat with a couple of my favorite swimmers, then headed back to Manhattan. I love beach days!

Submit "Grimaldo's Mile Ocean Race" to Digg Submit "Grimaldo's Mile Ocean Race" to del.icio.us Submit "Grimaldo's Mile Ocean Race" to StumbleUpon Submit "Grimaldo's Mile Ocean Race" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

What a great day!
    That sounds like such an amazing swim! Probably like a warm-up after your 8-bridges experience (did you go to the finish, I think you said at the Verrazano narrows bridge?)

One thing I find inspiring from reading all of your blog posts (even if I don't comment, I do read them all) is just how much you enjoy swimming. Even when things don't go right, you still make the most of things, get out there and just swim.
    It sounds like there's always plenty of great food at the CIBOWS events! Fun day and great swim SA!
    Quote Originally Posted by Viva O Fear
    What a great day!
    Thanks, it really was! Sometimes everything falls into place to create a really magical experience--gotta relish those days!

Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    That sounds like such an amazing swim! Probably like a warm-up after your 8-bridges experience (did you go to the finish, I think you said at the Verrazano narrows bridge?)

One thing I find inspiring from reading all of your blog posts (even if I don't comment, I do read them all) is just how much you enjoy swimming. Even when things don't go right, you still make the most of things, get out there and just swim.
    Thanks Tim! The funny thing about this race was that I stood at the start and looked down the beach towards the finish, and had a fleeting moment of dismay at how long the course looked! Even after all that swimming in 8 Bridges!

I didn't go to the finish at the VZ, just followed the progress reports online. So it was especially great seeing Rondi and Dave at the beach yesterday and getting to congratulate thm on their amazing swim in person.

And thanks for the kind words about my blog. I've been enjoying an extended good patch with my swimming, where I just love being in the water and never seem to want to get out. I'm lucky I've been able to maintain that excitement for so long without getting weary or burnt out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobinator
    It sounds like there's always plenty of great food at the CIBOWS events! Fun day and great swim SA!
    There always seems to be yummy things to eat out at the beach, and especially at the CIBBOWS races. I think OW swimmers and food go well together!
    You left out the part where you tried to see how many Nathan's hot dogs you cold eat in 10 minutes.

What are you going to do when it gets cold and you have to swim indoors again? Spend more time in FL?
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    You left out the part where you tried to see how many Nathan's hot dogs you cold eat in 10 minutes.
    We left that part out of the day as well!

Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    What are you going to do when it gets cold and you have to swim indoors again? Spend more time in FL?
    Plan A: Swim in the cold anyway.

Plan B: Go to Florida!
    Ha ha! "The Oyster" is the only synchro move I know, and it doubles as a nice low back stretch!
    Quote Originally Posted by ourswimmer
    Ha ha! "The Oyster" is the only synchro move I know, and it doubles as a nice low back stretch!
    The oyster is the only one I know, too, or at least the only one with an "official" name. But I'm sure I'll learn more--our goal is to perfect this routine by the end of the summer:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzuU1GnXvaw"]‪Stairway to Heaven - SPANISH Synchronized Swimming team‬‏ - YouTube[/nomedia]

(after which we'll need a nice lower back stretch, among other things!)