View RSS Feed

swimsuit addict

Auburn Day 1

Rate this Entry
Today I swam the 800 at nationals. I went 11:10, which is a lifetime best by 20 seconds.

Last week at Asphalt Green workout we swam a 400 at our 800 FR pace. I swam a 5:35, which I thought might be a little fast, but I guess it was a pretty accurate predictor of my time here!

This felt like a good swimI might have taken it out a bit fast, but it was probably still pretty close to the best 800 I had in me today, I think. Heres my splits. I would have liked to bring it home a little faster on that last 100, and I gave it my best effort, but I was hurting pretty bad at that point:

4 Harris, Janet 46 AGUA 11:22.16 11:10.57
1:17.49 2:40.45 (1:22.96)
4:05.43 (1:24.98) 5:29.93 (1:24.50)
6:53.54 (1:23.61) 8:19.37 (1:25.83)
9:44.89 (1:25.52) 11:10.57 (1:25.68)

When I swam my previous best time, I split the race 5:47.9 / 5:42.3. Today I split 5:29.9 / 5:40.6. I remember that previous one being a lot more fun to swim! Todays swim definitely didnt leave me aspiring to be a distance swimmerI think once a decade is often enough to race an 800.

Happy with my swim, and very tiredits been a long day, with a 2+ hour drive up to Auburn to start things off this morning. Im enjoying the meetmore tomorrow!

Submit "Auburn Day 1" to Digg Submit "Auburn Day 1" to del.icio.us Submit "Auburn Day 1" to StumbleUpon Submit "Auburn Day 1" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Wow, congrats! Your 400 also predicted a time that you would have been happier going out in too (the less painful split)

Enjoy the rest of the meet.
    Updated August 3rd, 2011 at 08:04 PM by qbrain
    Awesome start to the meet! But, let me get this straight: you swum like a gazillion miles in the Hudson and then say once a decade for the 800 is enough? There's something wrong there.
    Nice going! Good luck on the 400 IM if you are swimming it.
    That's a fantastic time drop, and a great way to start the meet.

Note to self: I may not want to pace off of you, at least for an 800 .

I actually like the 800, and wish I could swim it more. Long enough to get into a nice groove, you can recover from a couple mistakes, yet still a manageable distance (and even if you go out too fast there isn't THAT much more to go).
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    I actually like the 800, and wish I could swim it more. Long enough to get into a nice groove, you can recover from a couple mistakes, yet still a manageable distance (and even if you go out too fast there isn't THAT much more to go).
    I'm with you. After swimming a couple of 1500s this summer, I have seen the wisdom of the 800 for all of the reasons above.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    But, let me get this straight: you swum like a gazillion miles in the Hudson and then say once a decade for the 800 is enough? There's something wrong there.
    The landmarks to watch for in Auburn were mainly old fat guys in speedos...
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Long enough to get into a nice groove, you can recover from a couple mistakes, yet still a manageable distance
    Most people call that the 100.
    Sweet swim, good pacing.
    Great job, Janet!

But I think the question that is foremost on the minds of us readers: what suit did you select for this particular lifetime accomplishment?
    Great swim! Great start to the meet! I'm sure there will be more to come.
    nice splits, very even you appear to be an aspiring distance swimmer!!!
    Nice swim! Time drops are always a plus!
    Wow. Nice swim!
    Thanks everyone! I appreciate the kind words.

q, you're right about the happier-making split, I think. But to test that hypothesis would require swimming another 800.

pwb, it's strange but true. I have a hankering to repeat the 15-miler, but not the 800m. Go figure!

Jimby, I wore my Arena legsuit with purple angle-y graphics. There's probably a picture somewhere.