View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Grown Up Pool, Thursday Sept. 1

Rate this Entry
by , September 2nd, 2011 at 12:29 AM (1467 Views)
Drylands:

RC exercises
HS hi row, 110 x 3 x 15
skull crushers, 30 x 2 x 20
push press, 40 x 2 x 15
assisted dips, 2 x 10 w/40 assist
-- liked this Icarian machine better than the Cybex I tried in MN
deadlift singles, 145 x 3, 135 x 7
extreme angle step ups, 40 x 1 x 10
-- forgot other set
explosive leg press, 230 x 3 x 15
altitude drops, 2 x 10
med ball slamming, 10 minutes

Swim/SCY @ Mason:

Warm up:

4 x 25 scull

9 x 100 @ 2:00
1-3 breast (various kick and drills; I swam with fins)
4-6 back
#4 = 50 kick + double arm back
#5 = 50 kick + 2 left, 2 right
#6 = 50 kick + 50 fast
7-9 fly
#7 = 50 dolphin kick on back + 50 single arm
#8 = 50 dolphin kick on back + dive drill
#9 = 50 dolphin kick on back + 50 fly fast

100 EZ (did 50)

16 x 25 w/fins @ :40
1-2 = underwater
3 = fast
4 = easy
-- I did the kicks fastish instead.

50 EZ

4 x 200 @ 3:00 (75 free + 50 dolphin kick on back + 75 free
-- I did the first one as assigned, but was having trouble breathing and left my inhaler in the car. Switched to backstroke kicks for the rest. It was probably the fall + cold water that triggered it; I've put an extra inhaler in my swim bag.

4 x 100 IM descend @ 1:50

4 x 50 @ 1:10
-- alternate easy/fast
-- did backstroke

4 x 25 @ :40
alternate easy/fast

200 W/D (did 100)

Total: 3600

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am really dragging physically thanks to my thyroid. Yoga was really difficult last night as well. It took all my will power to get to the gym today. (And I realize I need to gradually increase the upper body reps after overdoing it my first session.) But not so much to go to swim practice with a real team and an adult pool! As usual, Coach Cheryl gave us a great workout on stroke night. I couldn't really do it justice as I didn't have the steam for the fast parts and had breathing issues. I still really enjoyed it. Shared a lane with Wally and a Mason college student. Mason student: "You two are really fast for, er, er, uh ..." Wally: "geezers."

I'm planning on a recovery swim at Mason tomorrow over the lunch hour. Hoping I can use the blocks.

On a cheerier note, Mini Fort got a recruiting letter from a college coach today -- the first day they could contact HS juniors! Phone call to follow. There aren't that many colleges that have women's lightweight rowing, though they're good ones, so she was very excited.

Submit "Grown Up Pool, Thursday Sept. 1" to Digg Submit "Grown Up Pool, Thursday Sept. 1" to del.icio.us Submit "Grown Up Pool, Thursday Sept. 1" to StumbleUpon Submit "Grown Up Pool, Thursday Sept. 1" to Google

Comments

To quote yourself from my blog:
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Yikes, that's a lot of swimming. Will you feel it tomorrow?
    Right back at 'cha babe!! In addition to all your dryland work, plus that yardage, you're working pretty hard as well!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    To quote yourself from my blog:

Right back at 'cha babe!! In addition to all your dryland work, plus that yardage, you're working pretty hard as well!

I didn't work the fast parts as hard as I usually do, but I suspect I'll feel both workouts tomorrow. That's why I'm planning recovery instead of 3800+!

We sprinters train differently, but that doesn't mean we are slackers!
    Who was the Mason swimmer? I spoke to a very fast mid-d swimmer this morning (Claire Weems) and she may swim w/GMUP, and she said she was trying to get other alums for follow suit. She's thinking about doing the sprint classic.

Watch out guys- looks like some chicking is on the horizon in PV.
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo
    Who was the Mason swimmer? I spoke to a very fast mid-d swimmer this morning (Claire Weems) and she may swim w/GMUP, and she said she was trying to get other alums for follow suit. She's thinking about doing the sprint classic.

Watch out guys- looks like some chicking is on the horizon in PV.
    This was a guy named Chris who is a current college student but not on the team.
    Sorry about your thyroid issue. I used to be absolutely wiped all the time - for like 4 years (until I changed doctors and was actually diagnosed with hypothyroidism). Once the thyroid medication is tuned in for you, you'll feel a world better. Hang in there!
    Quote Originally Posted by kgernert
    Sorry about your thyroid issue. I used to be absolutely wiped all the time - for like 4 years (until I changed doctors and was actually diagnosed with hypothyroidism). Once the thyroid medication is tuned in for you, you'll feel a world better. Hang in there!
    Thanks Karen. It took me 3 years to find the right doctor and get a diagnosis as well. Some doctors don't believe you can be hypo if you are an athlete and aren't fat. I hope it gets dialed in soon. I hate being so lethargic.
    "You two are really fast for, er, er, uh ..." Wally: "geezers."
    I got asked if I were a Pitt student the other night. The kid's goggles were obviously fogged. Of course, later that night my eldest told me my haircut made my forehead look really big. Pow, right in the kisser.