View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Escaped the Floods, Sept. 8

Rate this Entry
by , September 9th, 2011 at 12:01 AM (6381 Views)
Drylands -- Core Work

power wheel roll outs, 3 x 25
power wheel pike ups, 2 x 10
cable twists w/yoga ball, 50 x 2 x 15 each side
back extensions w/plate, 25 x 2 x 15
Cavic fly pull on FM machine, 20 x 2 x 25*
(I took 26 strokes in my last 100 fly)

20 minutes of foam rolling & stretching

*I first mentioned this in my blog here: http://forums.usms.org/blog.php?b=1172. Jazz and Q made fun of it, and I didn't persist as I was focused on gaining strength at that time anyway. I've decided, however, that I am going to add this to my upper body dryland routine. I don't do that much swim specific strength training outside of the pool. So I don't think it would hurt to add this, and it might be beneficial for my "dying arms" problem in the 100 fly. Jeff Commings does something similar in concept for his breaststroke kick. And this seems similar to the VASA machine, no?

Swim/SCY @ Mason:

Wasn't sure if I was up to the PM practice, but decided to brave it since I only did a short dryland workout. It took me 75 minutes to get there after today's torrential downpour and flooding. I missed almost the entire warm up, which made the first couple sets difficult for me.

Warm up:

400 swim
400 reverse IM something or other
-- I only did 200.

Main Sets:

Vertical Kicking:
flutter kick, 5 x 20 seconds continuous -- arms at shoulders, arms in streamline, arms at shoulders, arms in streamline, arms at shoulders
dolphin kick, 3 x 20 seconds continuous -- same as above, but only 3 reps

8 x 25 w/fins @ :40
odds = UW fast (I was not ready to go fast.)
evens = easy
50 EZ

8 x 50 free pull @ :45
#4 and #8 fast
-- I did #4 & #8 fast backstroke kick (didn't look for times).
50 EZ

8 x 75 @ 1:30
2 x (3 x best stroke + 1 x worst stroke)
-- did smooth backstroke & breast
-- feeling gassed already
50 EZ

8 x 100 kick, no fins
2 x (2 x stroke kick @ 2:00 + 2 x flutter kick @ 1:50)
-- I did 6 backstroke. The last 2 I added fins and did a fast 50 backstroke kick. (26, 25)
50 EZ

8 x 75 free
#1 = 1st 25 fast
#2 = 2nd 25 fast
#3 = 3rd 25 fast
#4 = fast for D people and slow for sprinters
50 EZ
-- I used fins and did 6 as 25 easy free + 25 fast back kick + 25 easy free. Skipped the last 2, tired.
50 EZ

8 x 25 w/fins @ :40
odds = UW fast (11, 11, high 10, high 10)
evens = EZ

200 EZ (did 100)

Total: Team 4000/Me 3200 + VK

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

This was hard for me. My heart has been racing some the last 2 days from the thyroid meds finally kicking in (should wear off when I'm used to the increase), but that means I'm breathing hard even when I'm swimming slow. Still, I got a solid aerobic workout in, which I haven't for some time. "Aerobic" for me, that is; probably a "quality" workout for many others. I'm not used to having actual intervals and that many sets! And I was happy to get in a few fast 25/50s kicks.

William and Brad were there and I hadn't seem that at practice in ages. William is visiting from CA. He "congratulated" me on my WRs -- the product of my "annoying ass f*ck fins." I miss his banter! I shared a lane with Claire, who just graduated from Mason and is fast, except hates to kick. There weren't too many people there (1-2 per lane) because of the flooding and road closures. There is no school tomorrow here. And, sadly, 2 people died in Vienna when they were swept away in a creek right down the road from me. I don't live far off the main drag, so was lucky to escape road closures.

Oh, and I heard from Fort Son today. He told me his freshman trip (hiking) was "amazing" and an "awesome experience." Since he never uses such exuberant words, I think it went well. He also reported learning the Alma Mater song, the title and words of which are different than when I went to Dartmouth. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alma_Ma...uth_College%29

Easy day tomorrow and a massage booked for Saturday!

Submit "Escaped the Floods, Sept. 8" to Digg Submit "Escaped the Floods, Sept. 8" to del.icio.us Submit "Escaped the Floods, Sept. 8" to StumbleUpon Submit "Escaped the Floods, Sept. 8" to Google

Updated September 9th, 2011 at 05:34 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts

Comments

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    That "fly pull" exercise nothing more than an extremely convoluted and difficult-to-set-up lateral raise, with the false appearance of being swim-specific due to a mock-butterfly motion. But the direction of resistance is the opposite as in a swimming pull, so muscular forces are roughly backwards. Or inside out or not related at all due to the fact that swimming happens in water. That exercise is the equivalent of putting on ankle weights and air-bicycling on your back to run faster. Or talking with a rubber band strapped from your chin to the top of your head so you can bite harder. Or, ****, I dunno, lying on a beach ball and doing backwards-resisted butterfly pulls to swim faster. Something ridiculous, I mean
    Updated September 9th, 2011 at 08:49 AM by Jazz Hands
    Jazz and Q made fun of it
    Are you accusing me of making fun of something or someone? I am just the slightest bit offended... very slight.

But really, I can't find where I made fun of the Cavic flys.

Glad that the meds are showing some effect. Waiting games are not fun.

Have you thought about adding air bicycles with ankle weights to your routine?
    Send rain to Texas, we'd love a flood.

looks like you're training pretty well,

gotta cure that "dying arms" issue in your 1 fl, isn't that 2nd 50 brutal?
    at least it's not as bad SCM & SCY as it is LCM

If you really want to improve your 1 fl & bk, consider working on:
    + easy small speed SDKs (you don't need to hammer them as hard as you do in the 50 bk & fl)
    + easy speed fly with fast arms, great body position, frequent breathing and minimal kicks, learn to swim fly fairly fast while barely kicking, not much knee bend or power and
    + hate to say it but if you did a practice or 2 a week training for the 2 & 5 fr,
    your 2nd 50's on your 1 fl & bk would be faster & seem easier.
    Could your shoulders handle the longer stuff?
    + once a week swim a fast, well split 1 fly for time,
    your 1st 50 & 2nd 50 need to be with in 2.5 sec of each other, no more than 3.0

stay fast and dry
    Updated September 9th, 2011 at 11:58 AM by ande
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Hands
    That "fly pull" exercise nothing more than an extremely convoluted and difficult-to-set-up lateral raise, with the false appearance of being swim-specific due to a mock-butterfly motion. But the direction of resistance is the opposite as in a swimming pull, so muscular forces are roughly backwards. Or inside out or not related at all due to the fact that swimming happens in water. That exercise is the equivalent of putting on ankle weights and air-bicycling on your back to run faster. Or talking with a rubber band strapped from your chin to the top of your head so you can bite harder. Or, ****, I dunno, lying on a beach ball and doing backwards-resisted butterfly pulls to swim faster. Something ridiculous, I mean
    He lives! Have you been swimming at all Jazz or too busy with the new job?

It's not the pull I need work on in butterfly, it's the recovery. This exercise seems to simulate the recovery. Why do you think Bottom and Cavic were doing it if it weren't beneficial? Do you hate all (attempted) swim specific exercises?
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Are you accusing me of making fun of something or someone? I am just the slightest bit offended... very slight.

But really, I can't find where I made fun of the Cavic flys.

Glad that the meds are showing some effect. Waiting games are not fun.

Have you thought about adding air bicycles with ankle weights to your routine?
    I'm too lazy to do another search, but I'm pretty sure you agreed with Jazz that they were ridiculous. What do you think if I'm mis-remembering?

Yes, hate waiting, and that is always the case with thyroid issues b/c you have to increase very incrementally. Though honestly I think part of me breathing hard was due to my absolute lack of aerobic conditioning after training alone all summer.
    Quote Originally Posted by ande
    Send rain to Texas, we'd love a flood.

looks like you're training pretty well,

gotta cure that "dying arms" issue in your 1 fl, isn't that 2nd 50 brutal?
    at least it's not as bad SCM & SCY as it is LCM

If you really want to improve your 1 fl & bk, consider working on:
    + easy small speed SDKs (you don't need to hammer them as hard as you do in the 50 bk & fl)
    + easy speed fly with fast arms, great body position, frequent breathing and minimal kicks, learn to swim fly fairly fast while barely kicking, not much knee bend or power and
    + hate to say it but if you did a practice or 2 a week training for the 2 & 5 fr,
    your 2nd 50's on your 1 fl & bk would be faster & seem easier.
    Could your shoulders handle the longer stuff?
    + once a week swim a fast, well split 1 fly for time,
    your 1st 50 & 2nd 50 need to be with in 2.5 sec of each other, no more than 3.0

stay fast and dry
    I'm never swimming LC 100 fly again. I learned my lesson well.

I do practice easy speed SDK and fly. In my short course fly, though, I'm kicking 50% of the race. Not sure how to swim fly without legs; that's what drives my fly.

I can't train for the 200 or 500 free solo. My shoulders might be OK if I used fins. I'm hoping my team practices can help with endurance.

Good idea about doing a 1 fly for time each week. Just not right now. Maybe I can start in a couple weeks; I can barely do fly at the moment. I won't swim 100 fly (& 100 IM) in SCM until December anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I'm too lazy to do another search, but I'm pretty sure you agreed with Jazz that they were ridiculous. What do you think if I'm mis-remembering?
    I am pretty sure there is at least one person on the forums who actually think Jazz and I have the exact same opinions.

http://forums.usms.org/blog.php?bt=6601

First comment.
    I am pretty sure there is at least one person on the forums who actually think Jazz and I have the exact same opinions.

http://forums.usms.org/blog.php?bt=6601

First comment.
    So you just did not want to disagree with Jazzy?
    Updated September 9th, 2011 at 01:14 PM by The Fortress
    So you just did not want to disagree with Jazzy?
    Very funny.

It's not the pull I need work on in butterfly, it's the recovery. This exercise seems to simulate the recovery. Why do you think Bottom and Cavic were doing it if it weren't beneficial? Do you hate all (attempted) swim specific exercises?
    I would lend more credence to what Bottom, Cavic, etc do than others. When Jazz goes 23+ in the 50m fly, then I'll listen more to opinions about "useless" training.
    Here's a birds eye view of my easy-speed/1 beat-barely-kick/breathe-every-stroke fly
    The goal is to go a fairly fast 50 with minimal fatigue
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7RvFmrcIUg"]2010 Ande Rasmussen scm 200 IM hd - YouTube[/nomedia]
    Very funny.
    :-)

I know, normally you're disagreeable. So I could only conclude from your intentional silence that you just didn't want to call me ridiculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by JimRude
    I would lend more credence to what Bottom, Cavic, etc do than others. When Jazz goes 23+ in the 50m fly, then I'll listen more to opinions about "useless" training.
    Yes, I think they know what they're doing. My legs never fail when racing fly; it's always the arms. I've got to take steps to address that aside from swimming lots of fly.
    Quote Originally Posted by ande
    Here's a birds eye view of my easy-speed/1 beat-barely-kick/breathe-every-stroke fly
    The goal is to go a fairly fast 50 with minimal fatigue
    2010 Ande Rasmussen scm 200 IM hd - YouTube
    When I try to swim fly that way, I just go up and down -- like in my 100 at Nationals. I would have to completely overhaul my stroke to swim like that. And that effort, along with training for 200-500 free, would kill my raw speed for the 50.
    8 x 50 ???? Can't remember what we did here. Senior moment.
    Ha There's a very good reason you can't remember the 8 x 50 set. We didn't do it. I guess I ruined the pattern by not putting it in there but practice would have been too long.
    Quote Originally Posted by 200free
    Ha There's a very good reason you can't remember the 8 x 50 set. We didn't do it. I guess I ruined the pattern by not putting it in there but practice would have been too long.
    I'm not sure if I feel more or less senile.
    I don't give a **** what you think. I've stopped responding to all of the blatant irrationality here (it's overwhelming) except with Fort because I actually care if she does well, and I know she'll at least consider my arguments.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Hands
    I don't give a **** what you think. I've stopped responding to all of the blatant irrationality here (it's overwhelming) except with Fort because I actually care if she does well, and I know she'll at least consider my arguments.
    Way to keep it classy.
    Way to keep it classy.
    Jazz just gets riled up on the Internet. He's done a ton of research on strength building and definitely influenced my drylands training. But I wonder if I could tweak it to help solve a problem. It doesn't seem that different in concept from training with a parachute -- swim specific strength training. Something that Salo advocates also.
    I have been very busy with the new job. Lifting about three times a week still, but I haven't been in a pool since the meet. I think my elbows and shoulders are happier with some reduced workload, but it's about time for me to get back to it.

That exercise is almost completely identical to a cable lateral raise. It's perfectly fine for building shoulder strength, but I'm not going to pretend that it's innovative or advanced or swim-specific.

I think Bottom likes to be an "innovative" coach. He likes to show off unconventional training techniques. I don't really have anything against that, but I do like to recognize the difference between novelty and usefulness (although novelty has its own usefulness, psychologically).

And yes, I hate swim-mocking on dryland. Skills just do not transfer like that. It's pure fantasy to think that you can squirm around in gym clothes and somehow (it's always just somehow...) that's going to help you interact with water. The parachute is a much better idea.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast